2011-2012 Drexel Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the "A decision has been made" status...Really hopeful for better than waitlist, but this tosses things up a little bit. I guess we will find out soon.
if you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew from my acceptance here. GL to everyone, and I hope my spot goes to one of you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your interest in Drexel University College of Medicine. Our interview season has concluded. All applicants who have not been interviewed are being released from consideration for the 2012 application cycle.

+1
So does this mean we don't even get the courtesy of receiving a rejection letter? I don't appreciate waiting this long to hear back only to now see that they're "releasing" us like they're doing us a favor.

Congrats on those of you accepted and best of luck to everyone else!

So does this mean we don't even get the courtesy of receiving a rejection letter? I don't appreciate waiting this long to hear back only to now see that they're "releasing" us like they're doing us a favor.

Congrats on those of you accepted and best of luck to everyone else!

Unfortunately, that is how a lot of schools do it because of the high cost to mail everyone a letter. Out of the 9 rejections I have received, I believe only two have been via snail mail. The process does suck, but you just have to keep moving forward.

Unfortunately, that is how a lot of schools do it because of the high cost to mail everyone a letter. Out of the 9 rejections I have received, I believe only two have been via snail mail. The process does suck, but you just have to keep moving forward.
E-mail is free though.

Did anyone get a letter to apply to Drexel's Masters of Public Health (MPH) program though????

On the waitlist. Is Drexel open to letters of intent/interest? If so, does anyone know who would be the appropriate contact person at Drexel to send such a letter?

I e-mailed a letter of interest yesterday to [email protected]. I hope they got to it.. haven't received a reply or acknowledgement, but I guess they are bombarded with calls/e-mails to do so.

On the waitlist. Is Drexel open to letters of intent/interest? If so, does anyone know who would be the appropriate contact person at Drexel to send such a letter?

nice sig.

hope i find some mma classmates to spar with.

if you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Interviewed February 6. Still haven't gotten my letter, but I live across the country so it might take a while longer! Still doesn't stop me from obsessively checking my mailbox.

I found out that somebody who interviewed the day after me got their status update today, so they are definitely trying to get to people in order from what I can tell.

okay thanks for letting me know! yeah i interviewed feb 9th and my decision page still says "Your interview has been scheduled. If you've already appeared for the interview, your application will now be progressing through the Admissions Committee process.". I check that daily lol ugh. I guess I might have to wait yet another week based on what you said lol. Hope you receive good news soon =)

okay thanks for letting me know! yeah i interviewed feb 9th and my decision page still says "Your interview has been scheduled. If you've already appeared for the interview, your application will now be progressing through the Admissions Committee process.". I check that daily lol ugh. I guess I might have to wait yet another week based on what you said lol. Hope you receive good news soon =)

Lol.. I interviewed on DECEMBER 6 and my application STILL says "Your file is currently under review by a member of the admissions committee and will be sent to committee shortly"...so don't feel too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
nice sig.

hope i find some mma classmates to spar with.

Thanks. I also hope that a couple of my classmates like mma, BJJ or Muay Thai. It's funny, but I think the availability of good training will influence my decision as to where I end up.

haha damn okay thanks.. i hate this whole waiting thing though =/

and other ppl involved with MMA? =) i hope there's enough time to keep training & spar during med school lol...

Lol.. I interviewed on DECEMBER 6 and my application STILL says "Your file is currently under review by a member of the admissions committee and will be sent to committee shortly"...so don't feel too bad.

Have you not gotten a decision yet? I would call them just to see what's up if not...it happened to a friend of mine who interviewed in November. He called in February and they got him into committee right away- Decision was made the Thursday after he called. I don't think they hold it against you if you call.

"Decision has been made" status today... Interviewed 2/14... Fingers crossed!

Have you not gotten a decision yet? I would call them just to see what's up if not...it happened to a friend of mine who interviewed in November. He called in February and they got him into committee right away- Decision was made the Thursday after he called. I don't think they hold it against you if you call.

I definitely agree with this. My application was stuck at the "your interview has been scheduled" for 8 weeks, at which point, I finally broke down and called. The guy I spoke to one the phone even said that it was strange that my application hadn't made any progress since my interview, and that he would look into it. The next day my status changed to "with the adcom" and the following Friday I had "a final decision". I was subsequently accepted, so they definitely didn't hold the phone call against me. Doesn't hurt to try -- afterall, the longer your applicant sits there, the less remaining seats there are in the class.

Also, very excited to meet everyone tomorrow at Accepted Students' Day!! :)

Anyone with a decision/final decision status last week get a letter today?

What percent of the previous matriculating students came from the waitlist?

Looking at the exam schedule from previous years it looks pretty hectic. Can any current students comment on this? Thanks in advance

Looking at the exam schedule from previous years it looks pretty hectic. Can any current students comment on this? Thanks in advance

Not a current student - but can tell you its based off of what curriculum you're in. You'll have more exams in IFM but only (usually) two for each block in the PIL program

I did IFM curriculum (I'm MS4). My personality would never mesh well enough to be able to sit in a room full of other medical students and learn together :laugh:

IFM, though, has its pros and cons. Lectures typically were held from 8/9-4/5pm. Often they would only go until 12 because there were afternoon activities (ie Physician and Patient course where you had to go to the hospital, or Geriatric experience where you had to go visit an elderly person, anatomy lab, biochemistry conferences, etc).

Lectures can be pretty hit or miss. We have some lecturers that are absolutely golden and some that you probably won't even watch on the computer. In the beginning most people go to lecture. This lasts for about a week. I thought that I was going to be one of those people who would be attending every lecture but eventually I got fed up with a string of really bad lectures and just stopped coming (plus it was nice to wake up at 10 or 11am ;).

Here is the MS1 exam schedule:

examschedule.jpg

This is probably the worst thing about IFM. You'll see that you're always studying in cram mode for some upcoming exam/practical/quiz. Often we would have an exam and I would go literally straight from the exam room to the library to start studying for the next one. Since we don't do blocks of courses (rather we do symptoms-based) you'll see finals in the middle of the year because once a class is finished you take the final immediately. So while it's nice to get them out of the way they're not fun to have to study for right after taking module exams.

This is what I was talking about. It is kind of making me want to move towards a block curriculum instead of integrated...

Can anyone in the PIL speak to how their exam schedule looks? Thank you!

I'm a first-year PIL student right now. What I can tell you is that our exam schedule depends on the design of the block we're in. Supposedly the anatomy and physiology classes are being integrated so the schedule may be different next year, but this is what our schedule looked like:

Block I: 2 exams, every six weeks
Block II: 4 exams, every two weeks
Block III: 2 exams, every six weeks

Our exams tended to last for two days, except Block II since we had more exams.

if you don't mind me asking, how do you like the PIL track? it appealed to me more than the IFM did. what made you pick it?

if you don't mind me asking, how do you like the PIL track? it appealed to me more than the IFM did. what made you pick it?
I like many things about PIL - working on cases in small group, having to make presentations regularly (way out of my comfort zone), learning how to do H&Ps first year to be ready for PCP, the smaller feel and more mentoring from faculty, finishing gross anatomy in 3 months instead of making a cadaver last nearly the whole year, the more relaxed exam schedule, and the awesome PIL staff all played a part. The first three were the most important things for me, and I like that PIL kept me from procrastinating as well - you have to stay on top of things to be a good group member. There are good things about both curricula, it just depends on you.

I will be honest, the IFM-1 exam schedule is indeed busy. You basically have a quiz or an exam every week. The hardest part is that exam blocks usually end on Wednesdays, and the next module starts the next day. (No time to recuperate). However, they ease you into it.
From what I hear, the IFM-2 exam schedule is much, much better (less of them, and they end on Fridays).

I like many things about PIL - working on cases in small group, having to make presentations regularly (way out of my comfort zone), learning how to do H&Ps first year to be ready for PCP, the smaller feel and more mentoring from faculty, finishing gross anatomy in 3 months instead of making a cadaver last nearly the whole year, the more relaxed exam schedule, and the awesome PIL staff all played a part. The first three were the most important things for me, and I like that PIL kept me from procrastinating as well - you have to stay on top of things to be a good group member. There are good things about both curricula, it just depends on you.

These all sound very appealing. What are some downsides to the PIL track? Do you find the extra 9 hours of small group time taxing? Do you find that the presentations help you learn the material? My experience is undergrad with student presentations were horrible.

I will be honest, the IFM-1 exam schedule is indeed busy. You basically have a quiz or an exam every week. The hardest part is that exam blocks usually end on Wednesdays, and the next module starts the next day. (No time to recuperate). However, they ease you into it.
From what I hear, the IFM-2 exam schedule is much, much better (less of them, and they end on Fridays).

I am interested in the IFM track, but it seems difficult to have to balance learning multiple subjects in depth all at once.

These all sound very appealing. What are some downsides to the PIL track? Do you find the extra 9 hours of small group time taxing? Do you find that the presentations help you learn the material? My experience is undergrad with student presentations were horrible.
There are some downsides - you are very much responsible for your own learning. We have less in the way of lecture, or resource sessions as we call them, than IFM (though much more than other schools who do PBL) so there are some things we've learned entirely on our own or with supplemental lectures that are posted online. Sometimes doing the presentations on the second and third days of cases is a bear and you just don't want to spend the time on it - but overall I'd say doing your own learning issues really helps you learn the material solidly. I know it helped me when exams rolled around because I spent some extra time on these topics. Seeing everyone else's LIs is good in the sense that you get another quick pass through the important parts of their topics. I think the big difference between this particular type of presentation and an undergrad presentation is the focus - each person works on their own LI that is tailored to help you move forward in the case, so everything should fit together like puzzle pieces.

In terms of time spent in group, I think it's actually been a good amount of time - and it gets cut down to 6 hours a week second year. Granted, groups are randomly assigned and I've been lucky and have had 3 really great groups this year. You just never know how a group of people will work together.

Last edited:
hey courtnes,

how are the research opportunities at the school? Is it hard to find one within the drexel medical campus? I've been trying to search up for PI labs on their website but havent been successful.

thanks in advanced.

hey courtnes,

how are the research opportunities at the school? Is it hard to find one within the drexel medical campus? I've been trying to search up for PI labs on their website but havent been successful.

thanks in advanced.
There are a number of research opportunities available, unfortunately they're not always advertised very well. Drexel offers its own summer research grant program post-M1, which seemed to be the best way to find out about projects. If there's nothing going on that really interests you, don't forget that there are a ton of med schools and hospitals in the Philadelphia area where you might find faculty whose interests align with your own. I wound up procuring an outside research fellowship at one of them for this summer - outside programs take a little more research and planning, but may give you more options.

If you want to take a look now, I suggest checking out our Career Development Center website.

GOT MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER TODAY! I interviewed Feb 8th for anyone who is wondering.

Does anybody know where our Facebook group is? I'm trying to find some roommates.

Anyone close to Philly wants to chip in and rent a house together? I just contacted the owner and she's willing to rent to a group as long as someone goes in for a person-to-person session for the paperwork etc. The house is literally right in front of the school on Queen Lane.

If you're interested, PM me.

There are a number of research opportunities available, unfortunately they're not always advertised very well. Drexel offers its own summer research grant program post-M1, which seemed to be the best way to find out about projects. If there's nothing going on that really interests you, don't forget that there are a ton of med schools and hospitals in the Philadelphia area where you might find faculty whose interests align with your own. I wound up procuring an outside research fellowship at one of them for this summer - outside programs take a little more research and planning, but may give you more options.

If you want to take a look now, I suggest checking out our Career Development Center website.

Yeah, if you're interested in research be prepared to go to an outside institution. It took me too long to figure this out.

This is what I was talking about. It is kind of making me want to move towards a block curriculum instead of integrated...

Can anyone in the PIL speak to how their exam schedule looks? Thank you!
I guess to be fair the IFM MS2 schedule should be posted as well:

ifm2.jpg

Life gets much better during second year

thanks again for the info courtnes and xanthomides.

I'm curious why is it hard to get research within drexel?

also, wouldn't it be really hard to get research at other schools in Philadelphia because those schools need to save spots for their own students?

Thanks in advanced!

thanks again for the info courtnes and xanthomides.

I'm curious why is it hard to get research within drexel?

also, wouldn't it be really hard to get research at other schools in Philadelphia because those schools need to save spots for their own students?

Thanks in advanced!
There's just not a lot going on at Drexel research wise (honestly, its very specialty-dependent). The other schools have such giant departments that they can't find enough fellows/students to do research for them.

interviewed feb 2nd. last friday, my status said a "final decision" has been reached. i checked today and it now says "a decision" has been reached. has this happened to anyone else?

interviewed feb 2nd. last friday, my status said a "final decision" has been reached. i checked today and it now says "a decision" has been reached. has this happened to anyone else?

If you go back and look through the thread, I think you'll see that this happened to one or two other people.

I guess to be fair the IFM MS2 schedule should be posted as well:

ifm2.jpg

Life gets much better during second year

How did you feel first year of IFM? Trying to pick between tracks a Drexel is like choosing from two different schools...

How did you feel first year of IFM? Trying to pick between tracks a Drexel is like choosing from two different schools...
Honestly, IFM-1 sucks. There's no nice way to put it. The exam schedule was hectic I felt there were a TON of things that could have been improved.

If I had to do it all over, though, I would still go with IFM. I can't imagine being forced to sit down with a group of med students 3x per week to discuss cases. I prefer to learn on my own. With IFM you really do learn on your own and you use the lectures as a supplement. The order (or even if you watch them at all) of the lectures is completely up to you. I loved having 90% control over my schedule during the first two years (because I watched everything online).

In the end it doesn't matter which one you end up going with, though. Both tracks get dumped together during MS3/4, and those rotations are what's important for residency. Your step 1 score is mostly determined by your study habits during the ~5-6 weeks before the exam.

i had the same "final decision" status last week and they changed it to "a decision" staus today. doesn't make any sense to me. guess it's a waitlist :(

finally got the "Your file is currently under review by a member of the admissions committee and will be sent to committee shortly. No decision has yet been made regarding your admission status to Drexel University." status after interviewing on 2/9 and sending them an update letter last week

Status
Not open for further replies.