2010-2011 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends,

Just wanted to let everyone know that the admissions office informed me that they will be sending a piece of mail today with their decision regarding my application. I interviewed on 12/03/2010. Hope this helps someone!

Best,
Boshkosh26

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friends,

Just wanted to let everyone know that the admissions office informed me that they will be sending a piece of mail today with their decision regarding my application. I interviewed on 12/03/2010. Hope this helps someone!

Best,
Boshkosh26

Haha. I interviewed on 10/31 and called today. I was told that my letter hadn't been sent yet, but that I should hear soon. Wish I was told that the letter was being sent today!
Good luck :)

Haha. I interviewed on 10/31 and called today. I was told that my letter hadn't been sent yet, but that I should hear soon. Wish I was told that the letter was being sent today!
Good luck :)

Wow, what a wait for you! Haha hopefully now you'll have more patience, and will be able to use that on your patients. I called yesterday to find out :p. Best of luck to you as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, what a wait for you! Haha hopefully now you'll have more patience, and will be able to use that on your patients. I called yesterday to find out :p. Best of luck to you as well!

Totally off topic but I'm from Oshkosh as well. Or at least I assume you are from your ID, haha. If you get accepted that will be 3 Oshkoshians going to UW that I know of. Myself included :D Here's hoping for the best!

I was accepted! :D What a journey to get here; I feel so fortunate.

For those who interviewed, you know how they said it woud be random 20 discussed every week. Well was there anyone who received any notice after 2 weeks which is the min? Also do they give scholarship info then or later?

For those who interviewed, you know how they said it woud be random 20 discussed every week. Well was there anyone who received any notice after 2 weeks which is the min? Also do they give scholarship info then or later?

Yes, I heard back 2.5 weeks after the interview. I have not heard anything about scholarships yet, however.

Yes, I heard back 2.5 weeks after the interview. I have not heard anything about scholarships yet, however.

Same here. I was accepted 2 weeks to the day, but nothing was mentioned about scholarships. I believe (not 100%) that scholarships and eligibility etc. is decided after the FAFSA is completed and received by the school. This is another reason to finish it ASAP.

Hello all! Is anyone interviewing this friday, January 21st?:)
Yes! I will likely see you there! Good luck with your interviews, I'm looking forward to learning more about the program. Speaking as a Badger alum, I already know Madison is a fantastic place to spend 4+ years :)

I'm really frustrated with this "random" adcom meeting thing. I've been waiting for 13 weeks post interview! It would be ok, but I called a while ago and was told, "You went before the committee, but two people were missing, so they have to wait until they hear from them," then last week, "Oh, we just haven't mailed your letter yet." I called back yesterday and was told, "You haven't gone before the committee yet, it'll be a few more weeks."
What is going on? I have a few acceptances, so I'm not freaking out, but UW is my first choice! I'm an undergrad here, and I love it, but this seemingly blatant lying (there may be a logical explanation, I know) is really turning me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone see where the cadaver lab was on the tour of the Health Sciences Learning Center at UW-Madison? It wasn't on my tour when I visited so I didn't know if it was in another building.

Did anyone see where the cadaver lab was on the tour of the Health Sciences Learning Center at UW-Madison? It wasn't on my tour when I visited so I didn't know if it was in another building.

It's in another building about a 20 minute walk away. They have shuttles for the med students though. The building is on the main undergrad campus, and the facilities are shared with (at least) the PT students, although the PT students use them during a different semester.

Hey all,

congrats on those accepted to UW! I also received my acceptance letter early this week! :)

To those wondering about scholarship info I believe they make some offers before financial aid info is in. A few days after my acceptance I received a phone call offering me a scholarship that is renewable for all four years. I am truly shocked but feel very fortunate.

I hope the rest of you hear good news soon!

Just like previous classes have done, I have created a facebook group for the Class of 2015. Since most people visit facebook at least once a day, it will provide us with a great starting point for communication and class events. Please join the group if you plan on matriculating in the Fall, and if you know other people accepted who are not on SDN, please invite them to join as well. The link below should bring you to the group page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_179088225440297&ap=1

I will try and re-post this every couple pages. Congrats to all that have been accepted and please join the group!

GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!!

Complete 10/13, called about my status on 1/5 and was told my file hadn't been reviewed yet. Today marks 15 weeks since I've been complete, and still nothing...is this normal for UW???

Complete 10/13, called about my status on 1/5 and was told my file hadn't been reviewed yet. Today marks 15 weeks since I've been complete, and still nothing...is this normal for UW???

No actually, yours is the longest wait I've heard of. We do tend to take a little longer after the holiday break but not that long. I would call admissions tomorrow and ask again. If you're still waiting after that I can ask what's taking them so long when I lead my next tour.

I'm actually on a really similar timeline as you. I also called recently, although I was actually told that I was "still under review" : \ I guess only time will tell...

On a side note, are my chances as an OOS with fairly average stats and ecs fairly bleak at this school? :(

I'm actually on a really similar timeline as you. I also called recently, although I was actually told that I was "still under review" : \ I guess only time will tell...

On a side note, are my chances as an OOS with fairly average stats and ecs fairly bleak at this school? :(

They only interview around 4% of OOS applicants, but I have pretty average stats and was offered an interview, so you just never know. Good luck!!!

They only interview around 4% of OOS applicants, but I have pretty average stats and was offered an interview, so you just never know. Good luck!!!

ya me too! im an illinois resident and i have ~3.6 gpa and a 33 MCAT and i got accepted!

No actually, yours is the longest wait I've heard of. We do tend to take a little longer after the holiday break but not that long. I would call admissions tomorrow and ask again. If you're still waiting after that I can ask what's taking them so long when I lead my next tour.

Well I just called admissions and was told my application was just reviewed and I should get a letter in about a week. Rejected.

anyone know what kind of chances you have to get in off the waitlist instate?

ya me too! im an illinois resident and i have ~3.6 gpa and a 33 MCAT and i got accepted!

That's awesome! Wisconsin is by far my top choice! I interview on 2/11. I hope I end up as your classmate for the next 4 years!

anyone know what kind of chances you have to get in off the waitlist instate?

@erikson: I'm sorry, I hope your other apps go better and wish you the best of luck.

@laguna: it's really too early to tell, wait til the waitlist gets ranked later in the spring and it will give you a better idea.

Thanks to our awesome M1 co-presidents (and many others) UW will be having our 1st ever second look weekend for accepted applicants on the weekend of April 8-9th. I believe some of the events will start on Thurs or Fri (specific schedule still being determined) but save the date if you want to come! I'm so happy this is available to you guys, I really wanted one last year :)

Thanks to our awesome M1 co-presidents (and many others) UW will be having our 1st ever second look weekend for accepted applicants on the weekend of April 8-9th. I believe some of the events will start on Thurs or Fri (specific schedule still being determined) but save the date if you want to come! I'm so happy this is available to you guys, I really wanted one last year :)

Sweet are we going to receive an e-mail regarding the second look?!

Yeah, and what type of "events" do you mean?

Yes, the accepted applicants will be notified in a few weeks and officially invited to 2nd look weekend when we have the schedule of events finalized and I believe we're still sending the invites via e-mail but I'll let you know if I hear that it changes.

Basically the idea of 2nd look is to give you guys as much access as possible to med students, the school, and madison in general so that you can see what it's like to get your medical education here and so that you can get all your questions answered. Since the schedule isn't finalized yet I can't tell you exactly what all the events will be for a couple weeks or which day certain events fall on. But we'll be having med student panels to answer your questions as well as meals with students, you'll be able to meet the students that head a bunch of our interest groups and learn about any extracurricular activity or elective you might be interested in, we have students who are part of WARM or the MD/MPH and MD/PhD programs if you're interested in those....the list goes on and on. I'm most likely going to be taking interested students to our anatomy lab (among other things) since that's in a different building than the med school and we don't have time to show students on their interview day tour.

Yes, the accepted applicants will be notified in a few weeks and officially invited to 2nd look weekend when we have the schedule of events finalized and I believe we're still sending the invites via e-mail but I'll let you know if I hear that it changes.

Basically the idea of 2nd look is to give you guys as much access as possible to med students, the school, and madison in general so that you can see what it's like to get your medical education here and so that you can get all your questions answered. Since the schedule isn't finalized yet I can't tell you exactly what all the events will be for a couple weeks or which day certain events fall on. But we'll be having med student panels to answer your questions as well as meals with students, you'll be able to meet the students that head a bunch of our interest groups and learn about any extracurricular activity or elective you might be interested in, we have students who are part of WARM or the MD/MPH and MD/PhD programs if you're interested in those....the list goes on and on. I'm most likely going to be taking interested students to our anatomy lab (among other things) since that's in a different building than the med school and we don't have time to show students on their interview day tour.

Awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of the school and students. I know a lot of people on my interview day wanted to see the anatomy lab too so that sounds great. I'll take any excuse to drive down to Madtown!

I think that it's awesome that we're having a 2nd look this year! I'll try to stop by and talk to prospective students as much as possible (I'll be in surgery then so we'll see how it goes, haha.)

I think Jane is doing some great work with admissions lately. I liked Dean Wall a whole lot (she called me and told me I was accepted a few years ago :) but the new energy and styles in admissions seem pretty awesome!

If anyone has any Qs for me about UW, the clinical years, research, admissions, or whatever, you can PM me or email me at the same username (drizzt3117) at gmail. I'm a current 3rd year who was worked with the admissions committee in the past.

I received an email about a month ago from the application station-student edition investigation for a criminal background check.
In my UW acceptance letter they ask for a CBC through Verified Credentials, Inc. Does anyone know if I have to fill this out too (and pay the $35 fee), or will the first company suffice?

I received an email about a month ago from the application station-student edition investigation for a criminal background check.
In my UW acceptance letter they ask for a CBC through Verified Credentials, Inc. Does anyone know if I have to fill this out too (and pay the $35 fee), or will the first company suffice?

As far as I'm aware you have to do it through Verified Credentials and we don't accept other agencies, but if you'd rather double-check before paying for it you can always call admissions.

for any current med students..

i am going to get rid of a bunch of my stuff before i move up to madison. do you think it would be worth it to keep any of my undergrad textbooks? i have a lehninger biochem, janeway's immunobiology, and a couple others that i think are standard med school texts. what textbooks did you guys use first year? i know its early, but i will get more $$ for them if i sell them before spring quarter starts. thoughts?

for any current med students..

i am going to get rid of a bunch of my stuff before i move up to madison. do you think it would be worth it to keep any of my undergrad textbooks? i have a lehninger biochem, janeway's immunobiology, and a couple others that i think are standard med school texts. what textbooks did you guys use first year? i know its early, but i will get more $$ for them if i sell them before spring quarter starts. thoughts?

You won't need those textbooks in med school, get what you can for them.

I am interviewing this Friday! :D

How is the interview? Any tips?

Just wear a Packer jersey to the interview and you'll have a guaranteed acceptance. :D

But really, don't worry about it. Most of the interviewers, I hear, are very chill and the student interview is relaxed as well. Good luck!

PACKERS FTW!!!

i was asked the standard questions (why medicine, what type of physician do you see yourself becoming, etc.) as well as some more tailored questions, such as "why aren't you applying to the med school you work at?", etc. my interviewer was really interested in learning about me as a person. he saved a couple of minutes at the end for me to ask him questions, and i asked specific questions about UW's program.

the group interview was a little different. we were asked questions like "what do you think public health is?" and "what is professionalism?", and since i hadn't considered these questions beforehand it was a bit more difficult to articulate my answer than when i was just talking about myself in the faculty interview.

since all interviewers are different, and will probably tailor their questions to your AMCAS/secondary responses, i think the best advice is to know thyself. also know about UW, why you want to go there, why you would fit in well there, and the school's philosophies about public health. good luck!

i was asked the standard questions (why medicine, what type of physician do you see yourself becoming, etc.) as well as some more tailored questions, such as "why aren't you applying to the med school you work at?", etc. my interviewer was really interested in learning about me as a person. he saved a couple of minutes at the end for me to ask him questions, and i asked specific questions about UW's program.

the group interview was a little different. we were asked questions like "what do you think public health is?" and "what is professionalism?", and since i hadn't considered these questions beforehand it was a bit more difficult to articulate my answer than when i was just talking about myself in the faculty interview.

since all interviewers are different, and will probably tailor their questions to your AMCAS/secondary responses, i think the best advice is to know thyself. also know about UW, why you want to go there, why you would fit in well there, and the school's philosophies about public health. good luck!

Fantastic answer, thx.

Yours was pretty different than mine then. My two student interviewers asked us things like "what is the last book you read?" or "what kinds of non-medically related activities do you do?" and very few questions related to medicine. And we spent half of the time posing questions to them.

Yours was pretty different than mine then. My two student interviewers asked us things like "what is the last book you read?" or "what kinds of non-medically related activities do you do?" and very few questions related to medicine. And we spent half of the time posing questions to them.

I got those questions at a different interview. Since then, I started reading more!

they also asked us "what do you do to relax?" (i said yoga and listening to loud dub-step) and "describe a situation in which you had to adapt." (i described a study-abroad experience).

also forgot to mention that i got the feeling that part of the purpose of the group interview was to see how we interact with our peers. so dont ignore the other interviewees.. i said things like "i really agree with what x said, and i would add that..." etc.

we were only able to ask them a couple of questions at the end since we ran out of time.

I'll be there interviewing with you! Looking forward to it. I hear the Wisconsin interviews are more relaxed than the average bear. That's nice.

they also asked us "what do you do to relax?" (i said yoga and listening to loud dub-step) and "describe a situation in which you had to adapt." (i described a study-abroad experience).

also forgot to mention that i got the feeling that part of the purpose of the group interview was to see how we interact with our peers. so dont ignore the other interviewees.. i said things like "i really agree with what x said, and i would add that..." etc.

we were only able to ask them a couple of questions at the end since we ran out of time.

The main purpose of these interviews is to get some qualitative info about the applicants from our students/faculty. The interviews are a bit more impt this year than in previous cycles, I know a few people who would have probably been accepted who were instantly rejected Bc of the interview this year, even just the student one. Try not to be a huge dbag during your interview and you'll probably be fine though. I know when I was doing them almost everything I wrote was positive about every candidate.

If anyone needs a ride tomorrow morning (because it's -13 out), text me 7735700328

Status
Not open for further replies.