2010-2011 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too (OOS)! Interviewed on 2/11 as well. Please post when you hear from UW! :xf:

Will definitely post. I'm hoping that they are close to their 4 week prediction! Actually I'm really hoping their running ahead of schedule... When was the last wave of letters that went out? They must be through processing the January applications.

Members don't see this ad.

ditto...some people posted on here that they heard within 2 weeks even!!!! I just hope i hear back by the end of this month.

ditto...some people posted on here that they heard within 2 weeks even!!!! I just hope i hear back by the end of this month.

I think this is going to be the week for us 2/11ers to get our letters in the mail. Make sure to post when you get yours!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is going to be the week for us 2/11ers to get our letters in the mail. Make sure to post when you get yours!

I interviewed 1/14 and haven't heard back yet. I have a friend who interview 1/7 and just heard back last week. It seems like they are actually behind schedule (or I am just very unlucky). I am really hoping to hear something this week.

Last edited:
I interviewed 12/14 and haven't heard back yet. I have a friend who interview 12/7 and just heard back last week. It seems like they are actually behind schedule (or I am just very unlucky). I am really hoping to hear something this week.

That's weird, I wonder if you're at the losing end of UWSMPH's random review process (which is still a little unclear to me). I guess you can erase the last two weeks in December since I doubt much gets done then, but that would still put you at 8 weeks... Ouch. Some people back in Oct./Nov. heard back in 2-3 weeks. Anyone have some insight into UW's process?

That's weird, I wonder if you're at the losing end of UWSMPH's random review process (which is still a little unclear to me). I guess you can erase the last two weeks in December since I doubt much gets done then, but that would still put you at 8 weeks... Ouch. Some people back in Oct./Nov. heard back in 2-3 weeks. Anyone have some insight into UW's process?

I got the letter today finally!! accepted! Interviewed Jan 7. It took 2 months!!!
I emailed the admission office yesterday, and in the email, they said, "Our review process has been taking longer than projected due to an extremely competitive non-resident applicant pool." And I'm OOS.
Good luck everyone!! I'm definitely going to Wisconsin. It's an awesome school!

I meant to put 1/14 and 1/7... my apologies. It's been one of those weeks... Either way, it;s been longer than the projected 4-6 weeks. I am IS, by the way.

I meant to put 1/14 and 1/7... my apologies. It's been one of those weeks... Either way, it;s been longer than the projected 4-6 weeks. I am IS, by the way.

Ooops, I read that wrong... :D Wow, 2 months, ok, I'll have to sit back and be patient. I'm OOS as well.

I got the letter today finally!! accepted! Interviewed Jan 7. It took 2 months!!!
I emailed the admission office yesterday, and in the email, they said, "Our review process has been taking longer than projected due to an extremely competitive non-resident applicant pool." And I'm OOS.

Huge congratulations!!

Got the acceptance letter yesterday, interviewed on the last week of January. OOS student.
Really excited to receive an acceptance and now racking my brain about where to go ? CA, northwest, or madison.

Good luck on everyone else who is still waiting, I had my decision within 4 weeks.

Got the acceptance letter yesterday, interviewed on the last week of January. OOS student.
Really excited to receive an acceptance and now racking my brain about where to go ? CA, northwest, or madison.

Good luck on everyone else who is still waiting, I had my decision within 4 weeks.

Congratulations! When was your letter dated? Good luck in your decision process! Those are some good locations to choose from.

Congrats, I interviewed same day as you as well. OOS. got accepted about 3 weeks ago due to the "random process." wait must have been agonizing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, I interviewed same day as you as well. OOS. got accepted about 3 weeks ago due to the "random process." wait must have been agonizing.

Agonizing! I'm only at 4 weeks, too...

Congrats to you as well!!!

Hey guys. This is my first post here, so I apologize if this question has already been asked or is a dumb question.

Here's my situation. I am currently a senior at UW (graduating this May), and have been accepted to one private school and wait listed here at UW. UW is by far my first choice. I would be more than happy to be at the other school, but UW is definitely a better fit for me.

My questions are:
1. How many people are on the waitlist? Not an exact number, but is it in the 30-50 range or in the 100-120 range?

2. Would it be worth it to send a letter of intent/interest? I'm leaning toward no, since I've heard that they don't look at anything you send in after the interview.

Thanks in advance, guys. :)

Hey guys. This is my first post here, so I apologize if this question has already been asked or is a dumb question.

Here's my situation. I am currently a senior at UW (graduating this May), and have been accepted to one private school and wait listed here at UW. UW is by far my first choice. I would be more than happy to be at the other school, but UW is definitely a better fit for me.

My questions are:
1. How many people are on the waitlist? Not an exact number, but is it in the 30-50 range or in the 100-120 range?

2. Would it be worth it to send a letter of intent/interest? I'm leaning toward no, since I've heard that they don't look at anything you send in after the interview.

I am in the same position as you (Senior at UW, waitlisted and accepted to a private school). I had talked to the admissions department earlier in the year and they had said a letter of intent would not be considered at all. Not sure about the size of the waitlist though...but I do personally know 5-6 people on it (not sure what that means :confused:).

My questions are:

From what I know, it seems like you guys will just have to wait it out and see. If you are IS, it sounds like you have an advantage as far as getting off the alternate list. As for letters of intent, admissions doesn't consider those or any other information post-interview.

I hear you, UW is a great program! I'm hoping my letter comes through soon!

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody who got an interview/accepted would feel comfortable posting their stats/ecs. I'm a WI resident, and UW undergrad student getting ready to apply this June and I'm just trying to get an idea of how competitive UW is, and where I'll be sitting.

Congrats to everybody that's got an acceptance, growing up in Madison and going to UW I know how great of a school it is and I truly envy you all.

Thanks

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody who got an interview/accepted would feel comfortable posting their stats/ecs. I'm a WI resident, and UW undergrad student getting ready to apply this June and I'm just trying to get an idea of how competitive UW is, and where I'll be sitting.

Congrats to everybody that's got an acceptance, growing up in Madison and going to UW I know how great of a school it is and I truly envy you all.

Thanks

U can check the website for the average stats of matriculating students. I personally think that uwsmph is interested in more than just stats. I was accepted with GPA < 3.4 and mcat > 30 as an OOS.

Thanks

Hey I was accepted in November. I went to undergrad at UW and am a WI resident.

35O MCAT, 3.95 GPA

Lots of shadowing in many specialties (urology, general surgery, internal med, etc.) I found this to be my most important talking piece in all my interviews as you can really talk about what a day in the life of a physician can be like.

Volunteered for two semesters in a hospital before applying. Honestly didn't learn anything and haven't talked much about it in any of my interviews. All of the interviewers bring it up as "Oh I see you volunteered in a hospital. Good" and move on.

Lots of non-medical volunteering (coached a girls hockey team, special olympics, etc.)

Honestly the whole process seems like a crap-shoot. You hear of people getting in w/ sub 30 MCAT scores, and then hear of people being wait-listed or denied w/ 37+ on the MCAT w/ great GPA's.

Do what the most and best you can with your time, and hope for the best!

Thanks

I would say follow your interests. You'd be amazed how something random like a hobby can occupy the majority of an interview, where as a significant volunteer position can be overlooked. I think it is because every pre-med and their brother has volunteered at a hospital, so they want to see what it is that makes you unique. Being passionately involved with say...bird watching is much more interesting experience to admissions than blindly volunteering at a hospital information desk. Maybe a bad example, but you get the idea.

I also got the feeling that UWSMPH values aspects of a student other than GPA and MCAT scores. Good luck!!

Just like previous classes have done, I have created a facebook group for the Class of 2015. Since most people visit facebook at least once a day, it will provide us with a great starting point for communication and class events. Please join the group if you plan on matriculating in the Fall, and if you know other people accepted who are not on SDN, please invite them to join as well. The link below should bring you to the group page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_179088225440297&ap=1

Again, I will try to post this every page or two. Congrats to all that have been accepted and please join the group!

I think this second look is going to be a pretty cool event. I made this offer earlier but if anyone has questions about the school or the clinical years, let me know.

Rejected today via regular mail. Really bummed out about this. Letter dated 3/10. OOS. All my interviews went amazingly well, so it goes to show you never can tell...

Just checked my mail--waitlisted. OOS.

Does anyone know the chances of getting off the waitlist as an OOS...I've perused the page and it seems like there won't be much movement. Any advice would be great!

Rejected today via regular mail. Really bummed out about this. Letter dated 3/10. OOS. All my interviews went amazingly well, so it goes to show you never can tell...

Sorry to hear, I interviewed the same time you did. Not sure how my interview went, and I haven't checked my mail today yet...but I really hope I get in.

Best of luck with all your other schools

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that... things are tough this time of year because a lot of the class is full, best of luck with the rest of your applications.

I called UW today and was told decisions for those who interviewed on 2/11 will be mailed either today or tomorrow. I know some were already notified earlier this week, so for those of us still waiting we may find out by the end of this week! So let's hang in there! :luck::xf:

Will most likely be withdrawing from WARM soon barring any crazy financial changes thru UW. Good luck to everyone else!

I think this second look is going to be a pretty cool event. I made this offer earlier but if anyone has questions about the school or the clinical years, let me know.

For the first two years, what is the class schedule like? Are you pretty much in class all day everyday? Just mornings? How many people actually go to class? (I remember hearing about lots of students watching lectures on 2x speed and not attending class). I wish I could remember individual schools better...

What do people tend to do with their breaks? Do you still have winter and spring break during clinical years?

For the first two years, what is the class schedule like? Are you pretty much in class all day everyday? Just mornings? How many people actually go to class? (I remember hearing about lots of students watching lectures on 2x speed and not attending class). I wish I could remember individual schools better...

What do people tend to do with their breaks? Do you still have winter and spring break during clinical years?

Definitely let the med students weigh in on this too, but I spoke with a lot of M1 and M2's on interview day at UW and they said you have class from about 8-12 every day, you have an hour lunch, and then 1-2 days a week you have lab and/or group discussions/etc. from 1pm to 4 or 5. So, the schedules are really not that bad. The students at UW plus most other schools I interviewed at said only 50-60% of class attends lectures on average. I have seen my upcoming schedule for breaks for UW for this and next year and I know you get a 3 week winter break for years 1 and 2 and then a 3 week break after year 2 ends before year 3 starts. I don't know about years 3 and 4 winter breaks though. As I understand you have several weeks of vacation time during year 4 though for whatever you want, like interviewing or visiting family.

class is usually 8/9-12, some small groups during the mornings or afternoons, probably about two days a week you will be in small group in the afternoon. I would say that about 1/2 of people go to class, typically. I never did, except to required things.

People traveled and took vacations or did whatever they wanted during breaks. You get winter break during 3rd year but no spring break. 4th year you essentially set your own schedule so you can take breaks whenever you want.

I have seen my upcoming schedule for breaks for UW for this and next year and I know you get a 3 week winter break for years 1 and 2 and then a 3 week break after year 2 ends before year 3 starts. I don't know about years 3 and 4 winter breaks though. As I understand you have several weeks of vacation time during year 4 though for whatever you want, like interviewing or visiting family.

Interesting, is there really 3 weeks for winter break? You might want to check that again. I remember being done dec 20 and starting jan 3. There's a longer break than that between years 2 and 3, but that includes time to study for step 1. I believe you get 6 weeks, and most people take about 4-5 so they have a little time for themselves.

Interesting, is there really 3 weeks for winter break? You might want to check that again. I remember being done dec 20 and starting jan 3. There's a longer break than that between years 2 and 3, but that includes time to study for step 1. I believe you get 6 weeks, and most people take about 4-5 so they have a little time for themselves.

Just checked the event calender in OASIS. Tentative end date for years 1 and 2 in winter is Dec 16th, classes then resume January 9th. I did misread the year 3 start date thinking it was June when it said July. So, it does say we get about 6 weeks before year 3 starts.

:soexcited:Praise the Lord! :clap::biglove:

For those invited to Second Look, did you get the invitation after you received the letter? I just want a family member to see the campus too (I'm all the way in Cali, so I've got some convincing to do). Thx!

For those invited to Second Look, did you get the invitation after you received the letter? I just want a family member to see the campus too (I'm all the way in Cali, so I've got some convincing to do). Thx!

I was accepted well before the second look weekend was finalized, so, yes I received the email after my letter. I guess I would assume that those accepted after the first email would receive one. However, I'm sure myself or someone else on here would be happy to forward it to you. :)

Congratulations DoctorHope! That's quite an achievement for an OOS. May I ask when you interviewed? Thanks and congrats!

I was accepted well before the second look weekend was finalized, so, yes I received the email after my letter. I guess I would assume that those accepted after the first email would receive one. However, I'm sure myself or someone else on here would be happy to forward it to you. :)

Alright, thanks! I guess I'll wait for the invite because I was accepted by regular mail, so I never got an acceptance email or any other email message for that matter.

Congratulations DoctorHope! That's quite an achievement for an OOS. May I ask when you interviewed? Thanks and congrats!

Thanks byurazorhog! I interviewed on 2/11.

Interviewed 2/11, IS waitlist letter 3/20... :xf:

The agonizing wait continues...

*bump

anyone from out of state got in? There hasn't been many people from OOS acceptances this year...

Also, I was put on hold earlier this month, but I just received an email from the Office of Registrar regarding eligibility for in-state tuition--is this something to everyone? or has my status change.

Last edited:
*bump

anyone from out of state got in? There hasn't been many people from OOS acceptances this year...

Also, I was put on hold earlier this month, but I just received an email from the Office of Registrar regarding eligibility for in-state tuition--is this something to everyone? or has my status change.

Hmmm...I'm from Cali! :) I haven't received that email, however. Maybe because I was just accepted last week? :confused:

The wait is killing me...has anyone from the Feb 25th interview heard anything yet??

Just a note for those going to second look (4/9) I should be around the majority of the day, so if anyone is interested in talking about research during medical school or the clinical years, PM me and we can set a time to chat for a few min during lunch or dinner or whatever. Alternatively you could pm me any qs you have or post them here, the clinical year scheduling is very confusing and m1/2s don't have a good idea how the process works, and I'm told there will be some changes for the incoming class (what seems like really good ones).

*bump

Accepted OOS. Interviewed 2.18, letter was dated 3.16. My #1 choice, I love this school. Will be matriculating here 100%. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Accepted OOS. Interviewed 3/4. Letter dated 3/24. I also absolutely love everything about Wisconsin but am not sure if I want to give up my acceptance at my beloved state school-OHSU. I feel that the two schools are so similar with respect to their curriculum and clinical opportunities. I like the fact that M3's can rotate to community sites all over the state at both OHSU and Wisconsin. Portland and Madison are both incredibly great places to live in. Even the people from both cities share many similar characteristics/ideologies. Any one familiar with both schools cares to share your thoughts on where I should go? Current students from UW, what's the most awesome part about your school that would've kept you from going elsewhere to attend? Btw, tuition for OOS at UW is only about $2000 more a year than IS tuition at OHSU. I'm a bit concerned about the harsh winters too. And advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best part about UW is probably that you do get a pretty good 3rd year education all things considered. Compared to my friends at other schools, it appears that we get to do a lot as medical students, and that we are generally treated quite well, the environment definitely isn't malignant like it is at some schools. The residents are all very nice and they make a strong effort to have faculty who like teaching to work with students.

Accepted OOS. Interviewed 3/4. Letter dated 3/24. I also absolutely love everything about Wisconsin but am not sure if I want to give up my acceptance at my beloved state school-OHSU. I feel that the two schools are so similar with respect to their curriculum and clinical opportunities. I like the fact that M3's can rotate to community sites all over the state at both OHSU and Wisconsin. Portland and Madison are both incredibly great places to live in. Even the people from both cities share many similar characteristics/ideologies. Any one familiar with both schools cares to share your thoughts on where I should go? Current students from UW, what's the most awesome part about your school that would've kept you from going elsewhere to attend? Btw, tuition for OOS at UW is only about $2000 more a year than IS tuition at OHSU. I'm a bit concerned about the harsh winters too. And advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey, CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCE. I secretly want to tell you to go to OHSU because I'm on the OOS waitlist at UW-Madison. I really liked UW when I interviewed...great facilities, program, and not too expensive. I didn't interview at OHSU, but I know someone who goes there, and she is very happy as well. I think it just boils down to your gut feelings about the schools--some instincts just can't be qualified/quantified. Follow your gut, you can't go wrong with either schools! (with that said, go to OHSU, so that I'd move up a spot on the wait list ;-))

Congrats! I interviewed the same day but haven't heard anything yet, now that I know someone has heard back I'm going to camp out at my mailbox! I think I remember you, we might have been in the same student interview group, but I could be wrong.

I could have been among the first batch of apps from that day to be reviewed. I hope you hear back soon as second look day is next week. I'd think the committee would have tried to make all final decisions before then. By the way, are you the nice gal from NY, or guy from Emory? There was another girl in my student group but I forgot where she was from. I'm sorry if that's you. Best of luck!:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.