2010-2011 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to the facebook group? It fell off the surface of the earth? Either that or I got kicked out for some reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, it's been quiet here. Thx for breaking the silence byurazorhog :)

Hey, for those of you going to 2nd look...anyone taking his/her parents with him/her?

I think the 2nd look will be awesome, I'm speaking in the student panel (I'm the only 3rd year so I'll be easy to recognize) come find me if you have questions about anything!

Just opened my acceptance letter today! Dated 4/4 - I am very thankful for the speedy postal service :) I'm in state and will for sure be attending!

Interviewed at the end of January (1/28), and hadn't heard anything 'til yesterday (4/4). I got an email saying that needed me to redo the residency form since I filled it out back in July, over a year before classes would start. Good news?

Got wait listed. Does anyone know how much in state movement there is on the list? I'd prefer Madison over MCW or Cincy but I need to figure out housing for wherever I end up going, so I just wonder what chance I have in getting off the list. (I'm in state)

I think the 2nd look will be awesome, I'm speaking in the student panel (I'm the only 3rd year so I'll be easy to recognize) come find me if you have questions about anything!

What is the dress for the second look day - can we wear jeans or are we supposed to dress business casual/professional?? I am guessing jeans but want to be sure before I show up way under-dressed.

What is the dress for the second look day - can we wear jeans or are we supposed to dress business casual/professional?? I am guessing jeans but want to be sure before I show up way under-dressed.

From the fb group:

An email was sent out this morning about what to wear to the second look weekend. I will post it in case some people still are not receiving the email:

"Hello,

We are excited that you will be joining us this coming Saturday, April 9th for our Second Look program. We have received several inquiries about the dress for Saturday. The dress for this Saturday is "resort casual" (this means nice jeans, chinos, khaki pants or the like and nice polo shirt or similar), we would like you to be comfortable and relaxed. The restaurants selected for the "dine arounds" on Saturday evening will also accept this type of dress.

We are expecting a nice spring day here on Saturday with partly sunny skies and a high temperature of 65 degrees.

See you on Saturday and...

On Wisconsin!

The MD Admissions Office, The Wisconsin Medical Alumni Association and MD Student Services"

I know I was wondering about whether I should wear a shirt and tie, but now we all know what to expect. See you all on Saturday!!

Last edited:
From the fb group:

An email was sent out this morning about what to wear to the second look weekend. I will post it in case some people still are not receiving the email:

"Hello,

We are excited that you will be joining us this coming Saturday, April 9th for our Second Look program. We have received several inquiries about the dress for Saturday. The dress for this Saturday is "resort casual" (this means nice jeans, chinos, khaki pants or the like and nice polo shirt or similar), we would like you to be comfortable and relaxed. The restaurants selected for the "dine arounds" on Saturday evening will also accept this type of dress.

We are expecting a nice spring day here on Saturday with partly sunny skies and a high temperature of 65 degrees.

See you on Saturday and...

On Wisconsin!

The MD Admissions Office, The Wisconsin Medical Alumni Association and MD Student Services"

I know I was wondering about whether I should wear a shirt and tie, but now we all know what to expect. See you all on Saturday!!

Thanks!!

Looking forward to seeing all of you at the second look! Bringing my fiance. Can't wait to showoff the school for her :D

Just opened my acceptance letter today! Dated 4/4 - I am very thankful for the speedy postal service :) I'm in state and will for sure be attending!

Congrats on your acceptance wiscRD! I interviewed on the same day as you (2/25). I still havent heard back but I'm in Boston so I'm hoping that's why it's taking longer lol. Did you receive the letter via usps or fedex?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just opened my acceptance letter today! Dated 4/4 - I am very thankful for the speedy postal service I'm in state and will for sure be attending!

Congrats mate! Look forward to seeing everyone at the second look too.

Congrats on your acceptance wiscRD! I interviewed on the same day as you (2/25). I still havent heard back but I'm in Boston so I'm hoping that's why it's taking longer lol. Did you receive the letter via usps or fedex?

Acceptance letters come via USPS.

Really happy to hear that you guys got in!!!

I, on the otherhand, am crossing my fingers that I ranked high on the OOS wait-list!

Mine came USPS - since I'm in state it only took a day but I would think it would take 2-3 days to get out to Boston. I believe this is the last week they are reviewing, so hopefully you'll hear good news soon!

Interviewed at the end of January (1/28), and hadn't heard anything 'til yesterday (4/4). I got an email saying that needed me to redo the residency form since I filled it out back in July, over a year before classes would start. Good news?

It says:
"We are contacting you regarding your residence for tuition status at UW-Madison. Your residence status is used to determine your tuition rate.

Our office is in need of additional information to determine your residence for tuition status. We are therefore requesting the following information to verify your eligibility for resident tuition:"

Anyone else get something like that? If so, what was the result? hmm...

For the current students - do you have season football tickets?? Is it still possible to get tickets, or is it too late?

For the current students - do you have season football tickets?? Is it still possible to get tickets, or is it too late?

First date you can purchase is like July 1

I JUST GOT IN!!! I was on the OOS state wait-list, so when I opened the the letter, I thought it was just a letter telling me my position on the WL. When first word I read: "CONGRATULATIONS"--I flipped out. I will probably end up here!!! Since I only recently got accepted, would it be alright if I go to the second look this weekend??

I JUST GOT IN!!! I was on the OOS state wait-list, so when I opened the the letter, I thought it was just a letter telling me my position on the WL. When first word I read: "CONGRATULATIONS"--I flipped out. I will probably end up here!!! Since I only recently got accepted, would it be alright if I go to the second look this weekend??

Congratulations Drwannabe! This is so exciting; I'm really happy for you!:clap::soexcited: You should just send an email to [email protected] to RSVP a spot. I don't think it matters either way though as it's almost Sat already but it's nice to let them know you're coming. I will PM you all the content from the email invitation and other relevant info they have sent out regarding this event. Congrats again! We might be classmates.

Congratulations Drwannabe! This is so exciting; I'm really happy for you!:clap::soexcited: You should just send an email to [email protected] to RSVP a spot. I don't think it matters either way though as it's almost Sat already but it's nice to let them know you're coming. I will PM you all the content from the email invitation and other relevant info they have sent out regarding this event. Congrats again! We might be classmates.

Thanks!!! However, I dont' think I will be able to make it as it will cost me over $400 for a ticket since it is so last minute... =(

Thanks!!! However, I dont' think I will be able to make it as it will cost me over $400 for a ticket since it is so last minute... =(

Might want to look into flights into chicago, the bus from there is like $20, and who knows, maybe someone is commuting from there to 2nd look.

Might want to look into flights into chicago, the bus from there is like $20, and who knows, maybe someone is commuting from there to 2nd look.

WOW, flight is actually only 200 into chicago. I think I would like to go to second week.

Do you guys think it would be alright for me to show up since I haven't RSVP'ed?

WOW, flight is actually only 200 into chicago. I think I would like to go to second week.

Do you guys think it would be alright for me to show up since I haven't RSVP'ed?

I'm sure it'd be fine, it's for everyone who's admitted. I'd recommend calling admissions to let them know you're coming but beyond that, just show up. If you need the 2nd look itinerary pm me.

I have a question about having a dog in medical school. I know there have been numerous threads about this topic, but I was wondering how feasible it is specifically at UW-Madison? Do a lot of students own pets? When I met with some of the students at the university, it seemed they have a decent amount time outside of studying to partake in a number of activities (at least during the first and second year), and I would be more than willing to allocate some of this time to take care of my dog...Once third year and fourth year rolls around, I can leave my dog at my parents place back home. Is my thinking feasible? or am I just delusional as how consumed I will be in med school. My dog is very well behaved and well-trained, I've been away from him for almost 4 years already, and I would like for him to stay with me when I start med school...

I have a question about having a dog in medical school. I know there have been numerous threads about this topic, but I was wondering how feasible it is specifically at UW-Madison? Do a lot of students own pets? When I met with some of the students at the university, it seemed they have a decent amount time outside of studying to partake in a number of activities (at least during the first and second year), and I would be more than willing to allocate some of this time to take care of my dog...Once third year and fourth year rolls around, I can leave my dog at my parents place back home. Is my thinking feasible? or am I just delusional as how consumed I will be in med school. My dog is very well behaved and well-trained, I've been away from him for almost 4 years already, and I would like for him to stay with me when I start med school...

a lot of people have dogs in med school, you just need to find a place that will allow pets (probably a house or a smaller apt, rather than a big complex)

Thanks to everyone who came to second look, I hope you guys had a great time!

Hi,
Does anyone know if Madison offers financial aid in the form of grants? or is it all loans?

Will there be a chance for incoming students to buy used M1 books? Any must have books for the first year?

Also, to the person who asked about dogs..... I have 2 dogs and don't see any reason to evict them. Unless they chew up my notes or something

Will there be a chance for incoming students to buy used M1 books? Any must have books for the first year?

Also, to the person who asked about dogs..... I have 2 dogs and don't see any reason to evict them. Unless they chew up my notes or something

Well, there aren't any books to buy M1 year except Netter/Moore 2nd sem, I imagine someone will sell you theirs, but a lot of people keep those, you can usually find em used on ebay/amazon though.

Hahhaa, good point. Have you found a pet friendly place to live? I'm having some trouble...

What other means are used, if not books?

the instructors print "course modules" for you which are changed every year, they're essentially textbooks but they're just notes on paper. They aren't too expensive, like $20 for each block.

Try this http://www.uwmedstudents.com/marketplace/detail.php?siteid=3623

does anyone have the link for checking your status / secondary?
i'm withdrawing my acceptance offer but i cant seem to locate the correct page to do so... (the link i had bookmarked is broken)

thanks!

So I received a pretty sizable scholarship offer today to UW-Madison, which is now making me reconsider my decision on where to go next fall. I was completely set on an east coast private school which was going to be more expensive to begin with, but now the price difference cannot be ignored. I'm an in-state student, who went to UW for undergrad, and was really just looking to live somewhere different for a while. Now, it looks like I'll be staying put for 4 more years!

Congrats to those who got scholarships! Does UW offer both Merit and need based scholarships, or just need based?

Congrats to those who got scholarships! Does UW offer both Merit and need based scholarships, or just need based?

Mine's def. a merit scholarship. I def. won't be eligible for need based.

Also, I haven't finished all my financial aid forms. Any idea how long it will take to get an award package?

Also, I haven't finished all my financial aid forms. Any idea how long it will take to get an award package?

Same here. I just received my scholarship offer yesterday as well and I would not qualify for need-based.

does anyone have the link for checking your status / secondary?
i'm withdrawing my acceptance offer but i cant seem to locate the correct page to do so... (the link i had bookmarked is broken)

thanks!

Wish I could help, the link I have doesn't work either, maybe you need to call? As a member of the wait-list, thanks for withdrawing early!

sorry to change the topic.

I'm pretty sure I will be going to UW next year, and I am actually looking to purchase an apartment/condo instead of renting. I figured the 40K I put into a renting a place could go towards owning property, which I think can be a good investment in the long run. I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on this matter. Would it affect my financial aid package? I know it is not uncommon for med students to buy their own place, so any insights would be greatly appreciated (where to buy, how much, etc.)!

I'm pretty sure I will be going to UW next year, and I am actually looking to purchase an apartment/condo instead of renting. I figured the 40K I put into a renting a place could go towards owning property, which I think can be a good investment in the long run. I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on this matter. Would it affect my financial aid package? I know it is not uncommon for med students to buy their own place, so any insights would be greatly appreciated (where to buy, how much, etc.)!

A lot of med students do own, the area just east of Midvale Blvd and just south of University avenue is pretty common, as it's not too expensive and pretty nice (mostly small single family homes), just remember that that will take a bit of time to take care of compared to an apartment or condo. There are condos near Hilldale Mall but they'll be significantly more expensive and I'm not sure what their policies are concerning animals.

A lot of med students do own, the area just east of Midvale Blvd and just south of University avenue is pretty common, as it's not too expensive and pretty nice (mostly small single family homes), just remember that that will take a bit of time to take care of compared to an apartment or condo. There are condos near Hilldale Mall but they'll be significantly more expensive and I'm not sure what their policies are concerning animals.

Hey Drizzt, Thanks a lot for you advice. You are always the first to asnwer my (sometimes inane) questions.

Anyone know when we will receive a decision (or ranking) regarding the waitlist?

I sent in the student financial aid cover form some time in late March (FAFSA completed before this) and got the award package along with most everybody else 2 days ago. You will most likely get a Manchester loan, a direct Fed subsidized and a direct Fed unsub. loan to the tune of about $43,000 to cover instate M1 budget. Since you got the scholarship you can obviously reduce the unsub. loan. that you need to take out.

Last edited:

You can certainly buy a place and I don't think it'll affect your loan package. I've heard from people that property taxes in Madison are quite high though. I'm OOS as well so I might not know what I'm talking about. However in general owning a house will always require more work on your part from paying all utilities/taxes to small things like having to pay for snow shoveling yourself. And hopefully in 4 years the real estate market will have recovered which I think/hope it will.

You can certainly buy a place and I don't think it'll affect your loan package. I've heard from people that property taxes in Madison are quite high though. I'm OOS as well so I might not know what I'm talking about. However in general owning a house will always require more work on your part from paying all utilities/taxes to small things like having to pay for snow shoveling yourself. And hopefully in 4 years the real estate market will have recovered which I think/hope it will.

I'm thinking about buying a condo, so that would minimize general maintenance fees. Paying utilities is not really a problem. I hope this is a good move!

Status
Not open for further replies.