2010-2011 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone needs a ride tomorrow morning (because it's -13 out), text me

I live right on the boarder of IL & WI. That's my google voice number, it's Chi based :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have patiently been awaiting my rejection letter since I have been on hold for a few months but was pleasantly surprised with an interview invitation yesterday morning! Interviewing 2/25! I know the interview cycle is close to being done- does anyone know when the last interview day is and how many spots are still available??

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other Feb 18 interviews? Also, any previous interviews have feedback about turnout for Thursday evening informal meeting?

Any other Feb 18 interviews? Also, any previous interviews have feedback about turnout for Thursday evening informal meeting?

The turnout last Thursday was great, and the med students had a lot of great info to share. I'd say about 6-7 M1's and M2's showed up. It's worth going, but it in no way affects the interview outcome.

I interviewed on the same date. How do they notify you of their decision ?

Thanks

I recieved a little letter (thin) and I was sad, because I thought it was a rejection. But, turns out I'm being put on the alternate list and they will send a second letter later, telling me my position on that list.

I interviewed on Jan 7. But I haven't got the decision yet. Is it normal to take that long?

I interviewed on the 7th also, and I too am still waiting to hear back. One of my friends interviewed at the beginning of December, and he just got his decision letter this week. Some of my other friends heard back within 2-3 weeks. This whole "we pick who the committee will review randomly" thing just doesn't make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got on the alternate list too. I'm kinda frustrated because I interviewed in October. Because of a clerical error I slipped through the cracks until I called. It may be wishful thinking, but I think that if I'd gotten processed within the normal time frame I might have gotten an acceptance.

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very excited! most probably will go there!

Sorry to those placed on alternate and/or rejected. Patience. Hang in there!!

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very excited! most probably will go there!

Sorry to those placed on alternate and/or rejected. Patience. Hang in there!!

Congrats Nafis!!

For others still waiting, it was about a month after the interview before I heard back about my acceptance, and my interview was in early October.

For those of you who have been accepted, what was the deposit required to hold your spot in class? How much time did they give you to decide?

No deposit is required. You just have to return the acceptance within two weeks.

Nice, you gotta love state MD schools! Thanks SFguy. Looks like your a CA applicant. When did your acceptance come through?

Nice, you gotta love state MD schools! Thanks SFguy. Looks like your a CA applicant. When did your acceptance come through?

I'm actually not from CA, and truthfully, I've never even been there. :laugh: I'm applying as a FL resident, although I spent most of my life in Illinois, so I guess I should change my name or something. I interviewed at the beginning of October and got the acceptance in the first week of November.

I'm actually not from CA, and truthfully, I've never even been there. :laugh: I'm applying as a FL resident, although I spent most of my life in Illinois, so I guess I should change my name or something. I interviewed at the beginning of October and got the acceptance in the first week of November.

Ah... Us Californians think that the "SF" initials could only possibly mean San Francisco. :p Congrats! I interviewed on the 11th and hopefully I'll be your classmate this fall!

Ah... Us Californians think that the "SF" initials could only possibly mean San Francisco. :p Congrats! I interviewed on the 11th and hopefully I'll be your classmate this fall!

Yes, Good Luck!! It's a great program, and it's only two hours away from my family. It'd be quite a change from the FL weather though. I've gotten pretty used to wearing T-shirts and flip flops in December. :D I'm not sure I can handle the winters anymore.

Yes, Good Luck!! It's a great program, and it's only two hours away from my family. It'd be quite a change from the FL weather though. I've gotten pretty used to wearing T-shirts and flip flops in December. :D I'm not sure I can handle the winters anymore.

Well, there's nothing saying you can still wear t-shirts and flipflops in December in Wisconsin...I mean, I'd definitely know which one you are! Plus, you might make an interesting frostbite/hypothermia case for your fellow classmates. :wow:

Agreed, the program rocks! It's definitely my top choice.

Well, there's nothing saying you can still wear t-shirts and flipflops in December in Wisconsin...I mean, I'd definitely know which one you are! Plus, you might make an interesting frostbite/hypothermia case for your fellow classmates. :wow:

Agreed, the program rocks! It's definitely my top choice.

My fiance, who has lived in Florida her whole life, jokes that I'm going to be bringing her to Canada. Madison would definitely be an adjustment for her. :laugh:

is there a second look weekend or something?

is there a second look weekend or something?

I think this email went out to all accepted students.

"We know that choosing a medical school is a very difficult and important decision. In order to make this decision a little easier, we would like to invite you and a guest to join us for our Second Look Weekend on Saturday, April 9th 2011. At the Second Look Weekend, you will have the opportunity to learn more about student life, extracurricular activities, summer opportunities, specialty programs, research and much more. You will also have the opportunity to meet your prospective classmates, interact with current students and hear from various faculty members. More details will be sent to you in the near future. Please save this date and we hope to see you on April 9th!"

OOS applicant here. It'd been months since I got any email from UW, until this morning. A surprise interview invite for March 4!:love:

Is there any recent interviewee who chose a student host? What was your experience? I normally prefer to be as comfortable as possible the night before my interview so I usually just rent a hotel room. That said, I know current students can provide great insight about the program and the city as well.

Also, I'm flying in from the west coast. The last time I went to Madison I flew into the local airport. Is it worth it to save money by flying into Chicago and rent a car?

And what do you think of the "group discussion" interview format? I've never had a group interview before and am feeling a bit uneasy about this part.

Any advice from you guys would be appreciated. And Best of Luck to those waiting for decisions!

OOS applicant here. It'd been months since I got any email from UW, until this morning. A surprise interview invite for March 4!:love:

Is there any recent interviewee who chose a student host? What was your experience? I normally prefer to be as comfortable as possible the night before my interview so I usually just rent a hotel room. That said, I know current students can provide great insight about the program and the city as well.

Also, I'm flying in from the west coast. The last time I went to Madison I flew into the local airport. Is it worth it to save money by flying into Chicago and rent a car?

And what do you think of the "group discussion" interview format? I've never had a group interview before and am feeling a bit uneasy about this part.

Any advice from you guys would be appreciated. And Best of Luck to those waiting for decisions!

Congrats! I interviewed on the 11th and it was a really nice day. I flew in from CA and going into Dane airport was a breeze. (~$300) I stayed at the best western inntowner and it was really relaxed and about a 5 min walk from the med center. Plus, their shuttle service will take you anywhere, including to and from the airport.

Don't sweat the group meeting. it's really informal and they make it very clear that it in no way influences your interview. It's just a chance to get to know students and hear a more candid description of the school. It was worth while for sure!

Good luck! The campus is beautiful and looks like it won't be -10 degrees like it was when I got there. =)

PS: You probably meant the group interview with the med students... That was nothing to worry about either. Relaxed questioning. Absolutely no competitiveness between applicants. I enjoyed it!

Does Wisconsin accept update letters post-interview? Has anyone sent any updates?

Does Wisconsin accept update letters post-interview? Has anyone sent any updates?

They told us nothing can be added to your file after the interview. Sounds like anything you send won't be seen.

Has anybody asked the adcom how Walker's new bill might/could change the complexion of the UW med school? I've heard grumblings Madison may split from the Wisconsin system, just like Ann Arbor split from the Michigan system, and tuition would take a large hike.

Has anybody asked the adcom how Walker's new bill might/could change the complexion of the UW med school? I've heard grumblings Madison may split from the Wisconsin system, just like Ann Arbor split from the Michigan system, and tuition would take a large hike.

Unfortunately everything is still pretty unclear so the UWSMPH hasn't been able to give anyone much info about it yet. UW-Madison splitting from the rest of the UW system is being considered by the UW-Madison chancellor Biddy Martin and the board of reagents. Nothing has been decided so far. The governor has also not yet released his 2-yr budget so the UW system does not yet know what cuts they might face. The combination of not knowing what the final decision is about the budget and the split means that speculation is all we can really do at this point. Whether the split includes just UW-Madison or would also include professional schools near the Madison campus such as the law, vet, med schools etc. I have no idea. What effect that might have on tuition as well as what effect the budget cuts might have is also unknown. I'm hoping that once the UWSMPH has more info about this that they will inform us med students more. Sorry but I just don't think anyone has a really good answer to for right now.

Unfortunately everything is still pretty unclear so the UWSMPH hasn't been able to give anyone much info about it yet. UW-Madison splitting from the rest of the UW system is being considered by the UW-Madison chancellor Biddy Martin and the board of reagents. Nothing has been decided so far. The governor has also not yet released his 2-yr budget so the UW system does not yet know what cuts they might face. The combination of not knowing what the final decision is about the budget and the split means that speculation is all we can really do at this point. Whether the split includes just UW-Madison or would also include professional schools near the Madison campus such as the law, vet, med schools etc. I have no idea. What effect that might have on tuition as well as what effect the budget cuts might have is also unknown. I'm hoping that once the UWSMPH has more info about this that they will inform us med students more. Sorry but I just don't think anyone has a really good answer to for right now.

Rumor I heard was that UW-Madison would be the only school to retain the "University of Wisconsin" name. The move would be to cut off the satellite campuses like La Crosse and Stevens Point. This would be a shame in my view because I appreciate how UW maintains their statewide campus status.

I heard the chancellor has been considering this split for almost ten years but never made it happen so it's not just because of walkers bill. I guess one really positive thing about the proposed split is that UW will be far eligible for grants especially for research. Since UWSMPH uses the majority of the research funds that could go a long way to improving the medical school. Just look at university of Michigan.

I heard the chancellor has been considering this split for almost ten years but never made it happen so it's not just because of walkers bill. I guess one really positive thing about the proposed split is that UW will be far eligible for grants especially for research. Since UWSMPH uses the majority of the research funds that could go a long way to improving the medical school. Just look at university of Michigan.

Well I would say that the entire UW system has been wanting more flexibility for some time now to allow them more tools to deal with budget cuts without having to raise tuition by a large amount. As far as I know splitting UW-Madison from the system was never mentioned until very recently (I've been at the university since 2003). Biddy Martin has only been the chancellor since ~2008, it was Wiley when I was undergraduate and he definitely wasn't talking split. As far as the UWSMPH using the majority of research funds I'm not quite sure what you mean. Most of the departments on the UW-Madison campus conduct research whether it's basic science, translational, or clinical so we as medical students have access to a variety of projects and fields to do research in: we have more choices than there are students to fill them all.

I just have always felt that UW being a statewide system was a great strength for the university and the state. Not everyone can fit at the flagship campus but many bright students could still get a college education at other campuses and still enjoy the affordable tuition and a UW degree. I think overall a lot of us are just waiting to find out some more details about what exactly this split would do in the short and long term future for both UW-Madison and other campuses, but unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of details available.

My situation is a bit different, but from what I've seen, if flights into Madison are expensive, it might be cheaper to fly into Milwaukee, which is about 1.5 hours away. There's a bus (Badger Bus) that goes straight from the Milwaukee airport to the UW Madison campus.

That being said, good luck. I'm also interviewing on the 4th, so I guess I'll see you there.

People have been discussing splitting UW Madison off for many years. My dad has been faculty there since the 60s and there's been discussion since not long after he arrived. This is probably the closest it's come to actually happening though. I would be fully supportive of it, I think it would greatly enhance the value of a degree from Madison. Kinda sucks for the other schools but it is what it is. None of them are really in the same class as Madison anyways.

As far as the statewide campus thing goes... let's see what you think about it in February in Minoqua or something during 3rd year :) It gets COLD in northern WI. Madison is a tropical paradise in comparison...

Well I would say that the entire UW system has been wanting more flexibility for some time now to allow them more tools to deal with budget cuts without having to raise tuition by a large amount. As far as I know splitting UW-Madison from the system was never mentioned until very recently (I've been at the university since 2003). Biddy Martin has only been the chancellor since ~2008, it was Wiley when I was undergraduate and he definitely wasn't talking split. As far as the UWSMPH using the majority of research funds I'm not quite sure what you mean. Most of the departments on the UW-Madison campus conduct research whether it's basic science, translational, or clinical so we as medical students have access to a variety of projects and fields to do research in: we have more choices than there are students to fill them all.

I just have always felt that UW being a statewide system was a great strength for the university and the state. Not everyone can fit at the flagship campus but many bright students could still get a college education at other campuses and still enjoy the affordable tuition and a UW degree. I think overall a lot of us are just waiting to find out some more details about what exactly this split would do in the short and long term future for both UW-Madison and other campuses, but unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of details available.

People have been discussing splitting UW Madison off for many years. My dad has been faculty there since the 60s and there's been discussion since not long after he arrived. This is probably the closest it's come to actually happening though. I would be fully supportive of it, I think it would greatly enhance the value of a degree from Madison. Kinda sucks for the other schools but it is what it is. None of them are really in the same class as Madison anyways.

As far as the statewide campus thing goes... let's see what you think about it in February in Minoqua or something during 3rd year :) It gets COLD in northern WI. Madison is a tropical paradise in comparison...

If Madison eventually stopped doing the statewide campus, do you think there would be another med school created in WI to serve that purpose? I could see it being similiar to Michigan. If they did, I wonder where the school would be.

If Madison eventually stopped doing the statewide campus, do you think there would be another med school created in WI to serve that purpose? I could see it being similiar to Michigan. If they did, I wonder where the school would be.

Idk, my guess is no. I think there could be another med school in WI and if so, it'd either be another med school in Milwaukee with it's clinical sites being the aurora hospitals, or in marshfield. I doubt this will happen in the nex decade or two though.

Haha excellent point. I bet some of those other rotation sites could still be affiliates without the statewide campus for students that really wanted to do away rotations there anyway. I agree that the school would totally benefit. For example, I have heard there is a lot of red tape to cut through for UW to acquire certain grants for research and other things that schools like U of Mich don't have to worry about. Which may help explain why they are ranked 6th in the US for research funding?? :laugh:

Wow, the 60s no wonder I didn't hear about it. I have to disagree on this point, just because the other schools are smaller and don't have many of the programs offered by UW-Madison doesn't mean that Madison as the flagship school should screw them over to gain benefits for itself. Besides we've already seen how the direction of the state changes every time the political party in the majority changes, the democrats spend their time trying to undo what the republicans just did and vice versa. If we put UW-Madison in the hands of a 21 member governing body with 11 members appointed by the governor himself not only will the university be essentially controlled by the governor but the direction the university is taking will change every time the governor does. I'm not so sure that will be increasing the value of a UW-Madison degree.

I've been to northern WI many times in my life so the cold doesn't scare me, I'll be fine but thanks for your concern :)

Any OOS applicants manage to get in-state tuition for Wisconsin? I know they give 10K scholarships sometimes, but I was wondering if there was like in-state tuition and plus a 10K scholarship? Who should we talk to about this? Thanks!

Does anybody know if accepted applicants are welcome to bring a guest during the 2nd Visit Program?

Wow, the 60s no wonder I didn't hear about it. I have to disagree on this point, just because the other schools are smaller and don't have many of the programs offered by UW-Madison doesn't mean that Madison as the flagship school should screw them over to gain benefits for itself. Besides we've already seen how the direction of the state changes every time the political party in the majority changes, the democrats spend their time trying to undo what the republicans just did and vice versa. If we put UW-Madison in the hands of a 21 member governing body with 11 members appointed by the governor himself not only will the university be essentially controlled by the governor but the direction the university is taking will change every time the governor does. I'm not so sure that will be increasing the value of a UW-Madison degree.

I've been to northern WI many times in my life so the cold doesn't scare me, I'll be fine but thanks for your concern :)

UW is a world class research institution. The other UW state schools are not. I think a two tier system, like how CA has cal state and UCs is a good way to divide the schools. I don't necessarily agree with how the board of governors will be structured but those people will be political appointees no matter how the system is structured.

I totally get your point, and it makes sense. I think there may be a few more things to consider.

It's possible that since they accept 300 ish people and need to make that about 100 OOS, they just severely limit the number of OOS interview slots. If they interviewed 300 OOS and 500 IS like in your example, they would have a problem as you stated. But if they interview only 130 OOS and know they can accept about 100, then they don't have to worry about residency status as much because they probably won't exceed the quota. Schools usually know how many OOS people to accept based on past matriculation yields, so if they end up accepting almost 80% of OOS people, I think it's because they limited the interview slots to make it that way instead of an accident.

That sounds SO confusing even to myself, hope it's somewhat comprehendable.

Man, i hope this is true about OOS applicants post-interview. Waiting impatiently by the mailbox...

Prompts:

Optional Essay

Keeping in mind the Admissions Committee's goal that the supplemental information is to gain additional insight into the applicant as an individual and as a whole person, what additional information, if any, do you wish to provide the Admissions Committee that may be important in the evaluation of your candidacy? You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant.

For example, many applicants have encountered various challenges in their backgrounds (e.g., coming from a low-income family, having to work a large number of hours per week while going to college, experiencing educational disadvantages in their pre-college years, following an unusually difficult course of study, changes in schools, time away from school, having a privileged background and providing extensive service, etc.). The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when assessing performance. If your path to medicine has not been direct, please elaborate. If you feel that you have encountered significant disadvantages and would like the Admissions Committee to take them into consideration, you are invited (not required) to provide this additional information. (Limit response to 500 words.)

:luck: with your application!
Thanks...and :love:Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.