2010-2011 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ouch sorry about the $500. I thought I had it back a few weeks back when I put down $100 because of a time crunch. Best of luck and I hope you hear back soon.

My secondary has been complete since October 13th...which is just over 8 weeks and I haven't heard anything good or bad. Should I be contacting admissions at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
My secondary has been complete since October 13th...which is just over 8 weeks and I haven't heard anything good or bad. Should I be contacting admissions at this point?
I think they just haven't gotten to you yet. I have been complete since 9/16 and called admissions on Monday. I was told I would be reviewed Tuesday, after which it would take about two weeks to hear something. I am OOS though and not sure if the ISers move more quickly. The person with whom I spoke was incredibly helpful and friendly, so definitely don't be afraid to call - she'll tell you when you are scheduled for review. Good luck!

I definitely like that the testing periods are spread out from each other as compared to other schools such as Iowa that has a test every week. Block schedules are great in that sense. However, at UW the students are taking multiple classes at once and are tested on them each separately. When I interviewed, my student interviewers had just finished up with two tests on Thu/Fri and had to study for the next test over the weekend on monday. While it may have just been that one block that robs you of your weekend, having many tests spread over a couple days seems stressful.

Most of the time tests are going to be monday/tuesday or whatever so you'll have to study over the weekend. Trust me, this is better than the alternative. If you have the tests thurs/friday, you have class and new material being taught monday-wednesday, so it makes it harder to study. This way at least you know you have all the information you need prior to the exam.

To me, it sounds like undergrad finals week repeated every 4-6 weeks or so.

This is still better than tests weekly where essentially you're always studying and you have the equivalent of midterms every single week. You're going to spend a lot of time studying in med school no matter how they set up the test schedule.

Just got the acceptance letter today!! (in CA)
Interviewed 11/12. OOS.
Super stoked about this one!

Last edited:
Acceptance letter arrived on Friday. IS. Interviewed 11/19

It looks like Wisconsin's waitlist policies and results are pretty consistent from year to year (very unfortunate for us OOS people). Any indication at all that this might change? =/

It looks like Wisconsin's waitlist policies and results are pretty consistent from year to year (very unfortunate for us OOS people). Any indication at all that this might change? =/

im pretty sure that they are increasing the number of spots this year to just over 200 (2011 MSAR), which i believe increases the class size by 20-30 or so. i've heard that they plan to increase the number of oos people (slightly) as well as "increase diversity". i think in the past few years, an exceptionally large number of oos people chose to matriculate, and they may have adjusted the # of oos acceptances this year in order to make use of the waitlist. i know a 2nd year there who was oos and got in off of the waitlist, so it happens. im by no means an expert though, so take that for what its worth.

good luck tippy, i really hope you get in!

Last edited:
I have been complete since 9/20 (12 weeks) and have not heard either way. Based on previous posts it seems like people either are rejected or sent an invite by this time. Should I call, or is UW just behind this year?

im pretty sure that they are increasing the number of spots this year to just over 200 (2011 MSAR), which i believe increases the class size by 20-30 or so. i've heard that they plan to increase the number of oos people (slightly) as well as "increase diversity". i think in the past few years, an exceptionally large number of oos people chose to matriculate, and they may have adjusted the # of oos acceptances this year in order to make use of the waitlist. i know a 2nd year there who was oos and got in off of the waitlist, so it happens. im by know means an expert though, so take that for what its worth.

good luck tippy, i really hope you get in!

Thank you so much! I hope we can be classmates next year :D

I have been complete since 9/20 (12 weeks) and have not heard either way. Based on previous posts it seems like people either are rejected or sent an invite by this time. Should I call, or is UW just behind this year?

I in the same boat..been complete since 9/24 and kinda frustrated. I called the school twice and both times the people I talked to were not helpful, and the second time she was actually pretty rude..

I wasn't complete until early October, and I received my interview invite almost four weeks ago. I would call and see what's up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I in the same boat..been complete since 9/24 and kinda frustrated. I called the school twice and both times the people I talked to were not helpful, and the second time she was actually pretty rude..

I wasn't complete until early October, and I received my interview invite almost four weeks ago. I would call and see what's up.

Thank you both! Are you guys OOS or IS? I am OOS and am wondering if that is why it is taking longer... I know IS is reviewed separately from OOS. Regardless, I will likely call tomorrow. Hopefully I will have better luck than you Doc.

I was placed on a pre-interview hold. How bas is this now :confused:

I too am OOS, was complete in September and haven't heard back. Does UW send pre-interview rejections throughout the cycle or do they wait until the end?
Good luck to all!

I too am OOS, was complete in September and haven't heard back. Does UW send pre-interview rejections throughout the cycle or do they wait until the end?
Good luck to all!

ive had two friends that are also oos that have been rejected pre-interview. there have also been several others on this thread who have said that they were rejected pre-interview. so not being rejected yet is a good sign. good luck!

can anyone tell me why my signature appears and disappears, seemingly of its own accord? (rhetorical)

can anyone tell me why my signature appears and disappears, seemingly of its own accord? (rhetorical)

I think it has to do with having posted within the last several posts, because your sig is around on the post above... :confused:

ACCEPTED!!! Letter dated December 15th, got it in the mail today, IS interviewed 11/12.

Good luck to all that applied!

Also the letter arrived to my permanent address and not my current one, this may be because of winter break having begun/beginning soon.

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!! Letter dated December 15th, got it in the mail today, IS interviewed 11/12.

Good luck to all that applied!

Also the letter arrived to my permanent address and not my current one, this may be because of winter break having begun/beginning soon.

Kickass! Are you plannign on going to UW for sure? Just curious. Again, congrats!

I am wondering if anyone can give me some more insight into how competitive the Rural Health Program is. The website makes it sounds VERY competitive, but doesn't provide any statistics. How many students will they take this year? How many applied, were interviewed, and were accepted last year? I am very interested in rural health and plan to apply, but am a little concerned that it is extremely competitive. I know I can put down that I would like to be considered for the traditional medical school program, but by the time the rural health program makes its decisions it would be so far into the application process that I would be worried it would be too late to really have a shot at the traditional track.

Any insight would be great! Thanks!!
Does anyone know what questions they ask at an interview for the University of Wisconsin WARM program (rural program)?

They will ask you why rural medicine, what your experience is in rural medicine, what makes you a good fit for the program, and then any possible detail you put on your AMCAS.

I've been accepted to the program.

Does anyone know what questions they ask at an interview for the University of Wisconsin WARM program (rural program)?

For those wanting more info about WARM see the link below or attend the WARM symposium which is held every year in August (info about this also in the link):
http://www.med.wisc.edu/education/md/warm/wisconsin-academy-for-rural-medicine/187

We accept 25 students for WARM and typically 75-100 students apply.

Our interviewers will ask the typical questions about you and why you want to go into medicine, but they really focus on why specifically you want to go into rural medicine. Only applicants that can show a strong desire to practice as a physician in rural Wisconsin will be accepted and a strong connection to a rural environment will help you in making this argument. In other words if you grew up in Milwaukee and don't really have a lot of experience with health care in a rural setting it will be harder for you to convince an admissions committee that rural medicine is what you want to do as opposed to someone who grew up in a rural area.

Wow this thread has been quiet for a while!

Is anybody else interviewing this Friday?

Does anyone have any experience with calling to inquire about interview cancellations and rescheduling an earlier date? How do schools respond to this?

Does anyone have any experience with calling to inquire about interview cancellations and rescheduling an earlier date? How do schools respond to this?

The office has traditionally called current UW-Madison undergrads to fill the cancelled interview slots, seeing how they are already on campus. I personally can attest to this.

Thanks moneymill, that makes sense. They must fill cancellation spots a few days before the interview date, then? Was this was happened with you?

The office has traditionally called current UW-Madison undergrads to fill the cancelled interview slots, seeing how they are already on campus. I personally can attest to this.

Thanks moneymill, that makes sense. They must fill cancellation spots a few days before the interview date, then? Was this was happened with you?

Yup. They called my cell phone on a Thursday night, the night before the interview day with the cancelled slot.

Did you interview this year? How was the interview? What questions did they touch on? Did you get accepted?

Yup. They called my cell phone on a Thursday night, the night before the interview day with the cancelled slot.

Did you interview this year? How was the interview? What questions did they touch on? Did you get accepted?

I interviewed back in November and was accepted. The interview was probably the most relaxed I had by far. It's pointless to tell you the questions they asked (talked mostly about my family experiences) because you won't be asked the same questions most likely, as there was a lot of variation amongst interviews on my day anyway which has been the same at every school I've been to.

What's more unique about UW is the student group interview (You have only one one-on-one interview with faculty). It's more of a loosely directed open forum Q&A with 2 M2's. That, again, for me was really laid back (e.g. why UW? What do you anticipate will be difficult about med school? etc). But some other groups were hit with much more specific and abstract questions (How do you define professionalism? What does public health mean to you? What would you do in this hypothetical situation?).

Yours is a natural question to ask, however, a more blanket approach to interviews is far more pragmatic in my opinion. Just know your AMCAS cold. Know why you want to be a doctor and know why you want to go to UW. Take your time and don't go off on tangents; be succint but speak cogently. You'll do fine I'm sure.

I interviewed this year and had two interviews: one-on-one with a faculty member, and a med student panel consisting of 2 M2s and 4 applicants. I would be doing a disservice by trying to describe the UW interview experience based on my interviews alone. At the top of this page you will see a link called "interview feedback." You should find everything you need there.

Interview Feb 11, anyone with me?

Got denied from UCSD today Any tips to avoid such disappointed from MCW?

Undergrad GPA: BCPM 3.27 AO 3.82
PostBach GPA: BCPM 3.84
Graduate GPA: BCPM 4.0

12V 11P 10B & 06V 11P 12B MCAT

Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics B.S.
Chemistry w/ a Concentration in Biochemistry B.S.
Applied Molecular Biology M.S.

Could you share when you were complete? I have been on pre-interview hold for several months now... Thanks!

Petit, I'll be there with you that day. I'm really looking forward to it. All that I hear of the UW interview experience is good things. Holds consistent with their reputation.

Sorry about the UCSD denial. I'm still in review there myself... Are you a CA applicant?

Thanks! Really just curious about the atmosphere of the interview. From what I hear, things are really relaxed, which is nice. Do the M2's direct specific questions to each applicant? Or do all 4 get the same question?

I interviewed back in November and was accepted. The interview was probably the most relaxed I had by far. It's pointless to tell you the questions they asked (talked mostly about my family experiences) because you won't be asked the same questions most likely, as there was a lot of variation amongst interviews on my day anyway which has been the same at every school I've been to.

What's more unique about UW is the student group interview (You have only one one-on-one interview with faculty). It's more of a loosely directed open forum Q&A with 2 M2's. That, again, for me was really laid back (e.g. why UW? What do you anticipate will be difficult about med school? etc). But some other groups were hit with much more specific and abstract questions (How do you define professionalism? What does public health mean to you? What would you do in this hypothetical situation?).

Yours is a natural question to ask, however, a more blanket approach to interviews is far more pragmatic in my opinion. Just know your AMCAS cold. Know why you want to be a doctor and know why you want to go to UW. Take your time and don't go off on tangents; be succint but speak cogently. You'll do fine I'm sure.

11/19/2010

But I'm a grad student, so I'm in a bit of a different criteria than most.

I am a WI applicant. I was looking forward to the SD weather too

Petit, I'll be there with you that day. I'm really looking forward to it. All that I hear of the UW interview experience is good things. Holds consistent with their reputation.

Sorry about the UCSD denial. I'm still in review there myself... Are you a CA applicant?

If you need a ride to and fro, LMK.

I got a hotel near UCSD and walked to the social the night before and the interview itself, which was not bad at all. But I'm assuming it won't be so easy to trot around in knee deep snow.

Yeah, SD does have nice sunny weather. Thought they just had pretty severe flooding! Rare. I'm a CA applicant, really excited about WI.

If you need a ride to and fro, LMK.

I got a hotel near UCSD and walked to the social the night before and the interview itself, which was not bad at all. But I'm assuming it won't be so easy to trot around in knee deep snow.

Thanks! I may take you up on that. I got a hotel right off campus as well. My plan was to be able to walk anywhere I needed to, regardless of weather. Just hoping the weather lets planes land.

Thanks! Really just curious about the atmosphere of the interview. From what I hear, things are really relaxed, which is nice. Do the M2's direct specific questions to each applicant? Or do all 4 get the same question?

Everyone that I talked to from my day said their interviews were pretty laid back. Plus the adcom really has their **** together. Several people come and present about the school and I really felt they went a long way to appealing to the interviews. Haha, though I could have skipped all of that because I knew UW was awesome well in advance .

The M2's didn't direct any specific questions to any one person. Just asked the 3 of us a question and we just went around the table taking time to answer. You may end up in a group where you feel the need (or someone else does) to show up the other 2 interviewees but that probably won't be the case. The experience does count towards admission but they are more keen on evaluating how you engage and interact with your peers. At least that's what everyone told me. But it makes sense. I would advise trying to stand out without being dominating. Definitely have some school-specific questions for them too. Best of luck.

Any news from anyone in the December 3rd group with me? I'm sick of the popcorn one, I need a checking the watch or an empty mailbox emoticon!

When were you complete? I have been complete for almost 4 months with no reply?

I got the complete email 10/5....maybe you should try calling them. unlike many other schools, the admissions could tell you where your application if is at in ther cycle. I had called at the beginning of the year and the last told me that it just went under review right before xmas...and that I s should hear back soon...and I did a week later

Who out there is interviewing this month? How many interview days are there in Januray/February?

Status
Not open for further replies.