2010-2011 University of Missouri (Columbia) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting crazy! So unless you get a 36 or go to a top 20 school, noone was accepted. I'm doomed!

I feel as though those with not as high MCATs are already accepted from Mizzou earlier and they are either those scholars people or re applicants (just my OP). That was the impression I got from the tour guides.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel as though those with not as high MCATs are already accepted from Mizzou earlier and they are either those scholars people or re applicants (just my OP). That was the impression I got from the tour guides.

I'm sorry, I want to make sure that I am understanding this. The folks who get accepted with lower MCAT scores are folks who went to Mizzou for undergrad or those on thier second go around?

That's a huge generalization to make...I can tell you that's not necessarily true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, I want to make sure that I am understanding this. The folks who get accepted with lower MCAT scores are folks who went to Mizzou for undergrad or those on thier second go around?

Yes, that's I'm saying. Its still just guessing though. I would call Mizzou if you are on the alternate list to see where you fall if you haven't already. I'm hoping for the best!

That's a huge generalization to make...I can tell you that's not necessarily true.

I sure hope you're right. It just seems that the stats went out the roof this year. The only person accepted with less than a 31 is a person with a 30 from a top 20 uni. I'm just sayin, it's not looking good. I may have to move to Cali to have a better shot for instate ;)

I sure hope you're right. It just seems that the stats went out the roof this year. The only person accepted with less than a 31 is a person with a 30 from a top 20 uni. I'm just sayin, it's not looking good. I may have to move to Cali to have a better shot for instate ;)

cali would be the last state i would to go, its so competitive...a pre-med advisor at my school actually said that florida would be her choice if she had to pick for best state...go figure

If I could choose residency for med school apps, I think my first choice would be Texas, followed by Florida. Texas has a lot of schools with some extremely cheap tuition. Florida has a ton of schools with a big in-state favor.

4 interviews, 4 alternate lists.....terrific

I feel your pain man. 6 interviews so far, 5 alternate list, 1 rejection. I've gotten fairly good at interviewing. I had some great conversations especially with the more recent interviewers. I'm starting to think my ECs are what is getting me waitlisted. The duration of my clinical experiences is below the average.

Best of luck to all my waitlisted brethren. :xf:

If I could choose residency for med school apps, I think my first choice would be Texas, followed by Florida. Texas has a lot of schools with some extremely cheap tuition. Florida has a ton of schools with a big in-state favor.

Apparently people in Oklahoma count as texas residents too when applying but they also have their own state school. How unfair is that!

There was someone on these threads earlier this year who said they got accepted to MU with a 24 MCAT or something along those lines.

Apparently people in Oklahoma count as texas residents too when applying but they also have their own state school. How unfair is that!

Wow, I didn't know that. They've got it pretty dang good!

For any of next year's applicants or anyone else interested: I was rejected last week with a 31/3.6 and solid EC's - instate also. Good luck to everyone!

Since we're sharing anecdotal evidence of what stats it takes to get in, I was accepted off the waitlist 3 years ago with an instate 28 MCAT and 3.4 cum/3.4 BCPM/3.9 post-bacc. And some killer work experience if I do say so myself. Oh- and I'd never set foot on Mizzou's campus (undergrad or medical) until my interview day.

So uh, it's not all about the numbers, people.

Oh- one last thing. Conley scholars don't have to take the MCAT unless they plan to apply to other schools. Most of them in my class took the ACT and their next big standardized exam was Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently people in Oklahoma count as texas residents too when applying but they also have their own state school. How unfair is that![/QUOTE]

I am from Oklahoma and I don't think that we get in state for Texan schools. I'm pretty sure I would have heard about that if it were true and I would have probably looked into some schools there. I did however get accepted to University of Oklahoma which is great after being rejected from MU.

I am from Oklahoma and I don't think that we get in state for Texan schools. I'm pretty sure I would have heard about that if it were true and I would have probably looked into some schools there. I did however get accepted to University of Oklahoma which is great after being rejected from MU.[/QUOTE]

That's what my friend from Oklahoma said when he applied. He was able to apply to all the Texas schools as instate even though he was from Oklahoma.

Middle third of alternate list with a 3.95/31. Kind of hard to be optimistic!

Middle 3rd as well, 3.65 / 32O :rolleyes:

This is getting crazy! So unless you get a 36 or go to a top 20 school, noone was accepted. I'm doomed!

Don't fret too much about your stats if the rest of your application is solid.

I was accepted in Oct with OS GPA: 3.73cum/3.62sci MCAT: 25. First time applicant. I had 3 years research experience, presented at a couple conferences including an international one, was a double major, played varsity athletics, and involved in lots of student organization leadership positions, studied abroad in three different countries, and had lots of community service time. So my EC's must've spoken louder than my stats and hopefully yours will too if it's a close call. :) Good luck everyone!! I can't wait to see everyone in July. Also if any one has housing information for me I'd really appreciate it.

I was accepted in Oct with OS GPA: 3.73cum/3.62sci MCAT: 25. First time applicant. I had 3 years research experience, presented at a couple conferences including an international one, was a double major, played varsity athletics, and involved in lots of student organization leadership positions, studied abroad in three different countries, and had lots of community service time. So my EC's must've spoken louder than my stats and hopefully yours will too if it's a close call. :) Good luck everyone!! I can't wait to see everyone in July. Also if any one has housing information for me I'd really appreciate it.

I don't want to rain on your parade but a lot of us have the similar ECs - i.e. research, volunteering, student org leadership, athletics, double & triple majors, double degrees, masters degrees - so nothing new here.

We also have MCATs that are much higher 30+ (which I dont think I have to argue that there is a huge difference between 25 and even a 30). Plus you're out of state. Something isn't adding up here... Perhaps you're a minority?

I don't know, and am surely not a bigot but you're OS, low MCAT and average ECs, maybe slightly above average.

If you are a minority, I think your case is different and most likely seen in a different light by committees.

All the best to you.

Does anyone know if/when they are disclosing relative positions within the three tiers? This would be a little calming, even if it were bad news.

I was under the impression that the most they were going to tell us was which third we're in. being in the middle third, I'd love to know a little more since that's where they always seem to stop...

I was accepted in Oct with OS GPA: 3.73cum/3.62sci MCAT: 25. First time applicant. I had 3 years research experience, presented at a couple conferences including an international one, was a double major, played varsity athletics, and involved in lots of student organization leadership positions, studied abroad in three different countries, and had lots of community service time.

I don't want to rain on your parade but a lot of us have the similar ECs - i.e. research, volunteering, student org leadership, athletics, double & triple majors, double degrees, masters degrees - so nothing new here.

...average ECs, maybe slightly above average.

If that is average for ECs, then most people I know who've been accepted are WAY below average. I have research with no publications and no conferences, was involved in a couple of student organizations, do not have international experience at all, and have little community service. Everyone has at least something that falls into the category of research, volunteering, leadership, etc, but everyone may not present quality in all categories. Without the specifics, it looks as if AJ really spent time and effort doing those things and it is no surprise to me that stellar ECs can make up for a mediocre MCAT.

We also have MCATs that are much higher 30+ (which I dont think I have to argue that there is a huge difference between 25 and even a 30). Plus you're out of state. Something isn't adding up here... Perhaps you're a minority?

I don't know, and am surely not a bigot but you're OS, low MCAT and average ECs, maybe slightly above average.

If you are a minority, I think your case is different and most likely seen in a different light by committees.

All the best to you.

They admissions committee doesn't make completely arbitrary decisions. There's something better about his/her application that stood out!

So uh, it's not all about the numbers, people.

+1

Numbers get your foot in the door, but at some point you've proven you can handle a medical school curriculum and more than that doesn't really buy you anything. From there on out who you are plays much bigger. That's why your application includes a personal statement, LORs, and an interview. At this stage it's virtually impossible to know why someone was ranked higher than someone else.

JoelontheRoll has a Point...

They admissions committee doesn't make completely arbitrary decisions!

Ha! Of course not! But don't be so naieve as to think that there isn't some sort of hidden agenda to accept a certain amount of minorities (even if their stats don't even compete with others). No institution can afford to waste political capital & reputation battling against such groups like the NCAAP & ACLU because they didn't accept a Native American (ajsoccer10). Not pointing the finger here, he says he is in other threads.

Numbers get your foot in the door....

Can't agree more! But what was burning through my skull and pulled me outta the wood works was that a person with an MCAT score of 25!!! (And out of state) was even interviewed.

A 25 is a little more than 3 points below the national average for 2008...

Cognitive ability is the primary point of leverage for universities - ie MCAT scores. It's arguably essential to being a good physician. If I'm in the ER and my heart stops, i don't want you to bicycle kick my chest like a soccer ball, or present your fourth author research paper that was essentially given to you by the good graces of your prof. I want the correct doses of Atropine and Epinephrine to restart my heart. Then some comfort.

Hopefully, if I were to ever get blocked with a joker like this, they actually bring decent objectives to the table.

I had to apply for medical school 3 years in a row to get in with my 3.9 and 31 MCAT score. No, I don't blame minority students. I was not accepted because maybe I wasn't ready quite yet and sometimes life sucks. I overcame the rejection though, kept improving my app, and was accepted to 3 schools this year.

If you weren't accepted, I am sorry. Please take my advice:

1. Figure out the real reason why you weren't accepted this year, and what you can do to improve your chances.
2. Start working on next years app right away.
3. GROW as a person. You've been given a gift here, a year out of school. Use it wisely.
4. Apply to as many schools as you can possibly afford next year. Personally I maxed out a credit card, but that is working out to be a solid investment.
5. In whatever you do be a positive individual.

All the best to you.

As a minority who was accepted I agree with part of what your are saying even though I took it somewhat offensively. Nobody should ever be placed ahead of someone else just because the color of their skin or because they are a certain religion, this is medicine where it truly is a life and death field. We always want the best people to be selected and that should never change. That being said, as someone who is family friends with the dean of admissions at a med school (not at Mizzou) there are always qualified applicants, too many to be admitted. The way you select between them is by more than numbers. I was told that the MCAT suggest how well one might do on the boards, not whether or not they can pass medical school classes. Undergrad grades tell whether or not you can actually pass classes in medical school. When medical schools selected students with high grades and high MCATs only Asians and Asian American students were getting accepted because they were the ones with the best raw numbers, but a lot of them were dropping out because medicine wasn't for them.

My point is that there are many things that go into a medical school applicant, if it was all about numbers and grades then we would all be treated by robots. Medical schools have been at this a long time so I think they are pretty good at determining who is going to make a good doctor and pass their curriculum and the boards.

Nothing is worse then selecting a bunch of minorities over "qualified" students just to have them all fail out. Since this is not happening I feel that Mizzou is doing a good job. I do hope that all the qualified students get in. No one deserves special treatment for things that they cannot control. Keep your head up.

P.S. The dean I know is a minority and I didn't even get an interview at that school and it is equivalent to Mizzou, so don't always believe that minorities get special treatment.
P.P.S Also I have a white friend who got a 20 on the MCAT and was accepted to Arkansas, and she is doing just fine, so dont always think its minorities whos scores get overlooked.
Im Proud to be a Mizzou Tiger!:D

Last edited:
As a minority who was accepted I agree with part of what your are saying even though I took it somewhat offensively.

Ahhh the hackneyed race card along with a side of transgression... Just because the conversation makes you uneasy doesn't mean it's depraved.

The way you select between them is by more than numbers..

I'm startled you aren't on the committee, oh but then there would be a conflict of interests... tsk tsk. Wait, who was it that you know on the committe?

When medical schools selected students with high grades and high MCATs only Asians and Asian American students were getting accepted because they were the ones with the best raw numbers, but a lot of them were dropping out because medicine wasn't for them.

LOL! I can't hardly take this post seriously when you make sweeping remarks like that.... LOL! --- "...only Asians... were getting accepted..." How many people did you just offend, asians included?

Nothing is worse then selecting a bunch of minorities over "qualified" students just to have them all fail out. Since this is not happening I feel that Mizzou is doing a good job.

Special treatment happens all the time. Minority students with subpar MCATs and GPAs get interviews all the time. And just because you don't fail out, doesn't mean you can't debauch a University's reputation by earning poor grades and STEP scores - which can, as you put (and as I agree), be predicted by MCATs.

P.P.S Also I have a white friend who got a 20 on the MCAT and was accepted to Arkansas, and she is doing just fine, so dont always think its minorities whos scores get overlooked.
Im Proud to be a Mizzou Tiger!:D

I don't believe this, and I'm sure there are people out there as well who find it less than plausible. If I had to take a wild guess, she probably just shot you a line of BS, to soothe your apprehensions about your own MCAT. Or it's simply not true. Not trying to troll on that last point but I would hate for someone to draw the conclusion that a 20 can get you accepted to the University of Arkansas.

The conversation doesn't make me uncomfortable but it's frustrating as an African American that people always assume that we got some special treatment to get in. My brother is at a top university MSTP and gets the same attitude, as if he did something magical to get there. I got into to school this year by having good grades and a good MCAT and doing all the other "typical pre-med" activities. I did nothing special so I guess I just want to feel equal to all the other people who got in. Not animosity because of my skin color.

It also bothers me when I see post like "2.9/22 URM what are my chances" everyone knows what it takes to at least get an interview so just do that.

as for my comment about Asians and Asian Americans getting good grades and being the top students? That's just a fact. Asians are consider over represented in medical school. How is that racist? I would love it if everyone said man those black kids are always getting really good grades and MCAT scores.

Don't be so chapped at other people if you didn't get in. Maybe it was your attitude. Look at yourself. Improve upon yourself instead of trying to denigrate others achievements.

When a person creates more than one account for the purpose of "talking" to each other or supporting each other in inflammatory speech, we here at SDN call that "sockpuppeting", and it's against the TOS.

When a person sockpuppets in a thread that one of the senior moderators reads on a regular basis, I call that "stupid".

Please don't be stupid.

The conversation doesn't make me uncomfortable but it's frustrating as an African American that people always assume that we got some special treatment to get in. My brother is at a top university MSTP and gets the same attitude, as if he did something magical to get there. I got into to school this year by having good grades and a good MCAT and doing all the other "typical pre-med" activities. I did nothing special so I guess I just want to feel equal to all the other people who got in. Not animosity because of my skin color.
I find that disheartening, yet it does bring to light a strong disadvantage of the continuing practice of affirmative action. I'm not implying that you were selected because of affirmative action, just that it is a shame to see that it has, in cases like this, accomplished the very opposite of its intended purpose.
When a person creates more than one account for the purpose of "talking" to each other or supporting each other in inflammatory speech, we here at SDN call that "sockpuppeting", and it's against the TOS.
Good catch :thumbup:

Becoming a doctor is a competitive career choice. My advice to anybody who didn't get in this year is to not make excuses or blame others for your rejection. Find out what you need to do to improve your application for next year, and then take care of business!

As for my URM classmates, please don't let jealous rejected applicants make you second guess whether you belong in medical school or not. YOU DO! I am so looking forward to meeting all of my class mates at orientation and I hope to establish lifelong friendships with as many of you guys as possible over the next 4 years.

I am confident that we all have the potential to make great doctors someday, and it is my goal for the class of 2015 to be the best group that the MU School of Medicine has ever seen!!!

Sorry for taking this thread down a personal road. It's not all about me. Any waitlisters hear any good news lately? Anyone accepted started a Facebook page yet? Kinda quiet in here.

I've been watching this thread for a while now so I thought it would be appropriate to join in. I am in the top third of the alternate list. In a week or so I'll call the OME to see if there's been any movement.

I've been watching this thread for a while now so I thought it would be appropriate to join in. I am in the top third of the alternate list. In a week or so I'll call the OME to see if there's been any movement.

I'll go ahead and make the next OME call a few days after yours to check for movement. We could set up a rotation so they don't feel pestered by any particular individual :laugh:.

I'll go ahead and make the next OME call a few days after yours to check for movement. We could set up a rotation so they don't feel pestered by any particular individual :laugh:.

Brilliant :thumbup:

Called this morning. The person I spoke with said that 2 or 3 had been pulled off the list so far. From reading the last couple of years' forums, that seems pretty typical for this point.

I got accepted from alternate list today.

I'll probably with withdrawing soon, but I thought I'd let you guys know the list is moving.

Congrats EBM on your acceptances! :thumbup: I got called last week myself. Good luck to everyone on the list - may be a good sign that things seem to be moving a bit prior to the 15th.

Cool. I'm in the middle third so it might be a while until I hear back. I'm just hoping a lot of people turn down MUs acceptance or their waitlist spot so they get down in to the middle third.

I called the OME today and they're in the middle third! Some of us should be getting good news soon.

This is good news! I will be bummed if I don't get a call before class starts... Isn't this pretty early in the game to be this far along on the waitlist?

It is early compared to other years. There's a lot of movement so that's great news. Good luck! :thumbup:

In the middle third, got the call just now but I declined because I'm definitely going to my state school at this point. I know another of you will get the call shortly then =D

Accepted today from the middle third! Attending considering I have no other acceptances!

Congratulations! I can't wait til July 25th! :horns:

Status
Not open for further replies.