2010-2011 Drexel Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
any word on wait list?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone know how many people Drexel typically puts on the wait list? And how many people they take from the wait list?

I think they could use a lesson in openness from the U of Washington... they rank people on the wait list and post the current rank # that has been accepted on the admissions website. Why Drexel shrouds the process in secrecy I'll never understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone know how many people Drexel typically puts on the wait list? And how many people they take from the wait list?

I think they could use a lesson in openness from the U of Washington... they rank people on the wait list and post the current rank # that has been accepted on the admissions website. Why Drexel shrouds the process in secrecy I'll never understand.
At my interview day, they said the WL is ranked but that they would not disclose your place on the WL. They do seem to accept a fair number of people off the WL though, since their class is so large (260ish.)

I thought most schools shrouded the process in secrecy? The other school that WL'd me handled it the same way.

i'm still on pre interview hold but im pretty sure it will be rejection later when they update it. i dont know how to improve my application further to get an interview from this place (and jefferson).

Hey guys, over the weekend I thought about my choices and decided to withdraw from Drexel....should I email them or give them a call to give up my seat?

Hopefully one of you guys gets it :).

Hey guys, over the weekend I thought about my choices and decided to withdraw from Drexel....should I email them or give them a call to give up my seat?

Hopefully one of you guys gets it :).

Schools typically need your withdrawal in writing, so I'd go with an email.

i'm still on pre interview hold but im pretty sure it will be rejection later when they update it. i dont know how to improve my application further to get an interview from this place (and jefferson).

I'm in the same boat. I am looking at their IMS program. I seem to be battling my freshman GPA from 15 years ago. It was not my greatest prolonged moment.

i'm still on hold for re review too! ughhhh has anyone gotten lucky recently??

My application went from no decision for 4+ months, to a change last night to "Thank you for your application. Your file has been reviewed and will be re-evaluated later in the season for a final decision."

I know I'm not getting an interview here, much less getting accepted, so why can't they just reject me already?

So I was wondering: for those of you who were recently accepted, and for which Drexel was your first acceptance, when did you receive your Certiphi background check e-mails in relation to your "final decision"?

I know that the timing tended to vary a while back, but I kinda wanted to check again!

So I was wondering: for those of you who were recently accepted, and for which Drexel was your first acceptance, when did you receive your Certiphi background check e-mails in relation to your "final decision"?

I know that the timing tended to vary a while back, but I kinda wanted to check again!

I got "final decision status" on 2/17, the acceptance arrived in the mail on 2/26, and I finally got the certiphi email on 3/6.

my best guess for all of those waiting post interview is that decisions are made on thurs after the adcom meets, the status change happens at some point on friday when it is passed along to the office, and letters go out through the following week as soon as they are printed and compiled. i would estimate 10-14 days after the final decision status.

USnews put out an interesting book last year that actually published final acceptance numbers. drexel was 1339 interviewed, 667 accepted i believe. idk if these numbers are accurate but it sounds about right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got "final decision status" on 2/17, the acceptance arrived in the mail on 2/26, and I finally got the certiphi email on 3/6.

Thanks! It's nice to have some sort of timeline even though I know it varies :laugh:

Hoping for some good news from the adcom today :xf:

Withdrew last night. Hope this opens up a spot for someone else. Good luck

"A Decision" - it's better than being rejected outright, I guess!

Does anyone know whether it "helps" to send in letters of interest, extra LORs, etc? Or are our ranks pretty much "set" regardless of what we do?

Thanks! :)

"A Decision" - it's better than being rejected outright, I guess!

Does anyone know whether it "helps" to send in letters of interest, extra LORs, etc? Or are our ranks pretty much "set" regardless of what we do?

Thanks! :)

Finally! Didn't you interview in January? I'm at 10 weeks post interview and been under review by the committee for a few weeks.

I think sending in letters is a MUST. To add some perspective, I initially got the "hold, re-review" status way back in December, but then I sent in a letter of interest and subsequently got an interview invite shortly thereafter. So I think it can make a difference at Drexel.

Re the waitlist...I heard not much will happen until May 15 (same for all schools). I'm not sure if it's better to send stuff now or wait until then. Another strategy might be to send stuff periodically from now until then to show interest. That's definitely what I'll be doing if I get waitlisted...if I ever find out. Ugh.

Finally! Didn't you interview in January? I'm at 10 weeks post interview and been under review by the committee for a few weeks.

I think sending in letters is a MUST. To add some perspective, I initially got the "hold, re-review" status way back in December, but then I sent in a letter of interest and subsequently got an interview invite shortly thereafter. So I think it can make a difference at Drexel.

Re the waitlist...I heard not much will happen until May 15 (same for all schools). I'm not sure if it's better to send stuff now or wait until then. Another strategy might be to send stuff periodically from now until then to show interest. That's definitely what I'll be doing if I get waitlisted...if I ever find out. Ugh.

It took 12 weeks for me to get my decision. Hopefully they'll get to you soon, so good luck! :) Also, thanks for the info!

Interviewed on March 7 and just went to committee recently. Seems like things are moving a little bit faster for me or am I just being hopeful?

I was with a member of the adcom for 2 months, so I'd say that's faster than usual. Maybe they're catching up now that interview season is starting to wind down. Good luck!

Those of you on the waitlist... do you send update/interest letters to Ms. Kelly Kennedy?

I interviewed 2/7 and am still at "your interview has been scheduled." Anyone else in that situation who interviewed around the same time? I have a friend who interviewed 2/14 who has already received her decision in the mail. Thanks!

I interviewed 2/7 and am still at "your interview has been scheduled." Anyone else in that situation who interviewed around the same time? I have a friend who interviewed 2/14 who has already received her decision in the mail. Thanks!

I interviewed on 2/8 and am in the same exact situation. Is Drexel your #1 choice?

Last edited:
It is my #1 choice... waiting is the worst! Anyway, I just checked and it actually changed today to "under review by a member of the admissions committee" so maybe yours has changed too, orbegk2?

Hopefully the rest of the process moves quickly now. :xf:

Ugh, I interviewed the week before you and I've been under review by the committee for 2-3 weeks.

Anyone know to a) see our financial aid package b) withdraw?

I'm guessing I will do both in rapid succession. I loved Drexel, but the price tag doesn't match the school. I will say that though that their match list was quite impressive this year.

It sounds like we don't get financial aid packages till June... so if money is a big factor you'll probably have to withdraw on/before May 15 not knowing what the package would have been. Which seems so odd to me...

Where did you find the current match list? I was on the website recently and I didn't see the 2011 list, but I'd really like to see the match so if you can direct me that would be so amazing :)

Hey y'all,

I have a stupid question: for my waitlist notification, do I just detach the bottom of my letter and send the little slip back to them? Or do I also have to write a formal letter? Do I also have to e-mail them?

Make that three stupid questions haha xD Thanks in advance!

Hey y'all,

I have a stupid question: for my waitlist notification, do I just detach the bottom of my letter and send the little slip back to them? Or do I also have to write a formal letter? Do I also have to e-mail them?

Make that three stupid questions haha xD Thanks in advance!

All they need is the slip. The website will be updated when they receive it.

Thanks! New to the thread. I was actually wondering the same thing. Cheers to waiting some more!

has anyone applied for aid? All I did was submit my FAFSA to drexel but then I found the 1 pg about financial aid in my acceptance packet and i noticed there was a website to apply for "need based institutional Drexel scholarships"

i went to http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/FinancialAid/secure

but that link does not work, even after I made my drexel email account. Does anyone know more about this?! >.<

has anyone applied for aid? All I did was submit my FAFSA to drexel but then I found the 1 pg about financial aid in my acceptance packet and i noticed there was a website to apply for "need based institutional Drexel scholarships"

i went to http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/FinancialAid/secure

but that link does not work, even after I made my drexel email account. Does anyone know more about this?! >.<
The link worked for me - it's the same one I used when I submitted last month. I'd contact someone in IT about it.

You can try going to the link off Drexel's financial aid page: http://drexel.edu/src/financialaid/scholarships/medical/

I don't think it will help, but it can't hurt to try.

yeah the link hasn't been working for me either...what browser are you using/where can i find IT contact info?

Well, if you haven't been invited to interview, seems your chances are over. The status update says they are done interviewing.

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might shed a little light on my situation...

I interviewed 3/21 and my status was updated about a week later to "with a member of committee". I just noticed that today (<1 month later!?) my status says "currently under review by the admissions committee".

Does anyone have a feeling for how long it might be till a decision is made once we get this status?? The timing of this all is making me very optimistic and I'm hoping it's at least a little bit justified... (I felt like my interview day went great)

Thanks for any input!

Hi all,

I interviewed 3/21 and my status was updated about a week later to "with a member of committee". I just noticed that today (<1 month later!?) my status says "currently under review by the admissions committee".

Does anyone have a feeling for how long it might be till a decision is made once we get this status?? The timing of this all is making me very optimistic and I'm hoping it's at least a little bit justified... (I felt like my interview day went great)

Thanks for any input!

Your next status will read either "a final decision has been reached" (which means an acceptance) or something like "a decision has been made" (which means a waitlist." I had the "under review by the admissions committee" for several weeks, but they may be moving faster now.

Hi all,

Thanks for any input!

I interviewed the first week of Feburary, and I have been under review by the committee for a month. I called this past Friday and was told I should expect a decision on my file after this Thursday's committee meeting.

Good luck.

Did anyone submit tax returns (yours and your parents') to the financial aid office? I've had to do this at other schools but I wasn't clear about Drexel.....

Okay this school is taking forever to let me know I might just make a decision for them

Okay this school is taking forever to let me know I might just make a decision for them

Agreed. I am right about 12 weeks post interview. I called last week and they said they'd have a decision on my file today. Called today only to be told to "wait a few more weeks." That's great, because the May 15 deadline is approaching.

I'm withdrawing my acceptance today. I hope someone gets good news next week! I still remember the look on one on my best friend's face when she got the acceptance during finals week last year :) Hopefully someone gets lucky!

Hey guys, good luck to everyone trying to get into Drexel. I'm a fourth year year at Jefferson (for a few more weeks anyways) and am coming to Drexel for residency next year. Feel free to shoot my any questions or anything you may have if you end up getting accepted there, even if its about life in Philly.

And...if you do get accepted (to Drexel or one of the other Philly schools)...I'm also looking to recruit male med students for a scientific project I'm involved in. The project pays extremely well (in the ball park of being able to pay your rent with beer money left over) and takes up only a half hour a week.

Best of luck with your apps!

Status
Not open for further replies.