2009-2010 University of Texas Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At my interview date, Dr. K said that all accepted OOS student will be paying IS tuition

On interview day (at the end of the day on Nov 13), I heard Dr. K say they can offer up to 5% of the 10% OOS students in state tuition. She was also giving tips to students how they could turn their out of state status to in state to save since Texas requires them to be at least 90% IS. Her main tip was buy land and be here for a year. Being a med student doesn't count towards Texas Residency.

Members don't see this ad.

:):):):):):):):)
GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS MY DREAM SCHOOOOOL!!!!!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you also get an email? I didn't know they also call. Congrats!

sorry i did not elaborate

the jan 8th invites have NOT been sent out yet

i just got a call asking if i could make the interview THIS FRIDAY
i can't so they said i will be put on the Jan 8th list!...and will get an email when they send them out
UTH calls and emails btw!

:) i feel like this is the best day of my life!

i can't so they said i will be put on the Jan 8th list!...and will get an email when they send them out

Wow, that's awesome to know they're still sending out more invites. Someone must have canceled this friday.
I could imagine how excited you must be :). Good luck on your interivew and hopefully I'll hear from them soon, too.

Congrats!! FINALLY I know they haven't sent out those invites yet!!!!

CONGRATZ!! I really want to get an interview from here...When were you verified and if you dont mind me asking, what are your stats?

omg congratulations!!! i really hope some more of us are on that jan 8th list!!!! pleeeeeaseeee

Ok, since I now know that UTH has more interviews to send out- I'm guessing it'll be right after the 8th since that's when the adcom meeting is- I would really like to send an update letter/letter of interest.

The couple things I would like to update with: I am a TA for a comparative vertebrate anatomy lab- actually teach the lab (I found this out after applying). Also, will be in a clinical oncology research lab starting in December.

Worth sending? Email or overnight snail mail? How do I also show my interest in UTH specifically?

Thanks for any suggestions.

My interview is this Friday, and I am wondering if any of you current UT-Houston students know if many people will be going to the social on Thursday night before the Friday interview day? I think you guys have finals, but I don't know...? Will there be a social on Thursday night?

I hope someone will let me know... Thanks! :)

there will be a social, probably with 2-4th years. Friday is our NBME biochem final.. I doubt any first years will be going to be out drinking the night before

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm a tiny bit frustrated.

Last year I interviewed at UTH and wasn't accepted. I was told the thing holding me back was my MCAT score (25P). They said that if I could raise it a couple points even, my shots at admissions would be much higher.

So, I did just that. I raised my MCAT to a 29R, have received 3 interviews in Texas so far, but complete silence from UTH. I've got cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.74, etc. Other than the MCAT score last year, I was and am a solid applicant.

I emailed them a couple weeks ago to make sure nothing bizarre was happening with my application, like some TMDSAS error keeping it from 'complete' status. No response.

I just called them and all they would say was 'If TMDSAS says it's complete, then it is.' They wouldn't look up my name or ID to make sure or anything... :confused:

I just wish they would actually give me a decent response... Anyone had any situations like this that went better or worse... It's kinda bumming me out not to hear from them after fixing my app just like they said! :( I just felt hopeful after last year getting an interview, and then nothing this year...?

:xf:

you should attend the reapplicant workshop, if you have to reapply next year

Could you tell me a bit about this please? Is it through UT-H specifically? Does it benefit you in any other way, other than information and some face time with adcoms?

I thought calling and having them talk to you about your application afterward was sufficient? When I spoke to them last year, they didn't tell me anything more other than 1) improve MCAT and you should be fine and 2) we liked the rest of your app.

As a side note, I also increased my GPA, volunteer work, shadowing, etc.

Thanks for the info :)

Dr Kellaway has it every spring for the reapps. She'll give general advice about things to work on or consider in your application, but she (or other med students, adcoms, faculty, etc) will sit down with you and go over your specific application, as time allows. This reapp workshop is specific to UTH, but the folks at Tech-Lubbock will also give you insight into your application.

I thought calling and having them talk to you about your application afterward was sufficient? When I spoke to them last year, they didn't tell me anything more other than 1) improve MCAT and you should be fine and 2) we liked the rest of your app.

As a side note, I also increased my GPA, volunteer work, shadowing, etc.

Thanks for the info :)

I think that even though your stats may qualify you for an interview, this process is just so random that you can't have a consistent outcome. There's just too many applicants with good stats and everyone has different EC's..

I interviewed here last Friday and absolutely loved it! :love: I'd never been to Houston before, and the medical center was VERY impressive! It's so huge and there are so many different opportunities there. Not to mention everyone seems really nice and friendly :)

I think I accidentally brought the snow with me though, lol.

I'm really hoping I make it into that 10% OOS group.... :xf: Seems like a long-shot unfortunately.... Does anyone know if the people who they pick from OOS tend to have family/relatives in Texas? I don't, but I know a few people from there, and I think I'd really like living in Texas.

I wondered if it would be weird to visit Houston and have it snow.

I don't know all of my class's OOS students, but the couple that I know have family here, though they're not all "close" -- aunts/uncles, cousins, etc, or others may have grown up in Texas for several years and moved away.

Telling your interviewer that you want to stay in TX, and having a descent reason to go with it couldn't hurt your chances.

armybound knows a lot more about the admissions process than me, but I think the likelihood of a graduate staying in Texas is something they consider.

I raised my MCAT to a 29R, have received 3 interviews in Texas so far, but complete silence from UTH.
I think that even though your stats may qualify you for an interview, this process is just so random that you can't have a consistent outcome. There's just too many applicants with good stats and everyone has different EC's..

As hard as this may be to swallow, bigslick's statement is likely to be quite accurate. They only interview like 20-25% of applicants, so unless you've done something extraordinary (35+ MCAT), it would be difficult to say that you are guaranteed an interview. Keeping in mind that a 29R is respectable with that GPA, it is still a few points below UTH avg over the past 2 years.

From my experience, unless you have something that specifically attaches you to a school (previous research, geographic location, connections, amazing MCAT, etc...), then this process really is a crap shoot on where you end up. Fortunately, your numbers are good enough for an acceptance somewhere and you'll probably have forgotten all about this when you match in Feb.

Yes, I know it's 5 a.m.... haha slept all evening after gross practical. pff

From my experience, unless you have something that specifically attaches you to a school (previous research, geographic location, connections, amazing MCAT, etc...)

First, thank you for everything else you said as well. I appreciate you taking the time to reply when you could have been sleeping haha :)

Second, I did research for UTH for 5 summers (gotta love being a state employee :laugh:) , so I thought that would be the "something that specifically attaches me to [their] school", but so far, it seems that isn't the case.

But you are right that only a small percentage gets interviewed and it really does seem to be a crapshoot.

Again, thanks for your lengthy and thoughtful response! :D

Edit: I also am a Houston native and from my research, have several connections to the school, but whatever lol. As you said, I probably won't even be thinking about this come Feb :luck::xf:

Did anyone receive a Jan 8th invite yet? Please post when you do. I really want to get an invite here. Good Luck to you all :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oh, guess you saw my question before I edited, armybound- thanks. I was trying to relax and not ask pointless questions haha. I think I am just going to try to sit tight and wait for February 1st, especially since I interviewed so late. That way I can focus on the four finals I have between now and 10am on Wednesday!

the process is too random and far-off to worry about it now. it will work out the way it's meant to work out.

besides, in case you (unfortunately) end up having to reapply, you want to do well in your current courses.

How do you delete a message? I only see how you can edit it...

Last edited:
Why is UTH your dream school?

maybe it's because i'm from houston,
but also the student life, opportunities in the TMC, great location of houston in general...and i just get a warm feeling when i am there! feels like home to me

does anybody know if UTH is done sending out interview invites for their january interview date?

thanks

I am pretty sure they are... I interviewed on the 11th and I tried to reschedule to January and she said it was full. Whether they had sent the emails out or not I don't know. You could just call the admissions office- they are really nice and they'll let you know.

I have a question for any of you current students who post here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=603959&highlight=houston
Above is a link to the IM thread. In it is this interesting tidbit:
"UT-H also really works the med students, who are not very protected, so you'll have students by your side on overnight call (if this isn't useful, at least you'll have some company)"[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]

.What do you think is meant by "works the med students hard"? What is meant by "who are not very protected"? Also, I'm sure current students are well aware of the issues of the malignant rumors for various residency programs. Sure its residency and we're just med students, but won't a bad residency atmosphere spoil the atmosphere during clerkship?

Another post I found (unrelated to above topic) is concerning curriculum:
"UT-H curriculum is 8-4 or 9-5. This is very stressful considering the materials you have to study. By the time you get back to your apt, take a nap and study, you have few hours of serious work done. Compare that to UTMB. Classes are 8-12 in first year and 1-4 in second year. Plenty of study time."[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]

.The above quote was taken from a post dated 2006. It appears to me that UT-H has changed the curriculum so that classes are in the morning and its not 9-5, is this true? Has there been a curriculum change since 2006 or am I missing something?

I've never heard med students talk about negative experiences in clinic. There are some who post here, so maybe they can talk more about it.

That being said, your experience on rotations is going to be dictated by whoever you happen to be working with. Residents change out and have their own personalities. One person's experience isn't necessarily going to be someone else's. It's luck of the draw at ANY residency with respect to how nice your team is. I seriously doubt any institution breeds a harmful work environment as a matter of policy. You're just as likely to run into a jerk resident absolutely anywhere.

The 9-5 bit is exaggerated at best. There might be days you're at school until 5, but those are dissection days. Is there any school that gives you a day of class and dissection and gets you out at noon?

Regardless, ask the numerous med students here if they're being worked into the ground and have absolutely no time for themselves.. if you went to the interview social, you know that's not true. Med school is a lot of work, but it's the same anywhere you go. Studying and class will consume a lot of your time, but not every last second of it.

have the acceptances for the Jan. 8th interview date been sent out yet??

What do you think is meant by "works the med students hard"? What is meant by "who are not very protected"? Also, I'm sure current students are well aware of the issues of the malignant rumors for various residency programs. Sure its residency and we're just med students, but won't a bad residency atmosphere spoil the atmosphere during clerkship?

Which specific residency programs have you heard were malignant?

It certainly isn't that our students are unprotected; our hours are reported, and there are many outlets available for us to give feedback. It's true that call is spent at the hospital, not at home as in many other programs. I think this is a good thing, though. I have been told that our students tend to do well in first year of residency and on away rotations because of the structure of these clinical rotations.

The above quote was taken from a post dated 2006. It appears to me that UT-H has changed the curriculum so that classes are in the morning and its not 9-5, is this true? Has there been a curriculum change since 2006 or am I missing something?

As armybound said, 9-5 isn't very accurate. Dissections may go as late as 5 once or twice a week, but scheduled lecture is typically over by 12 or 1pm. Our school also tries to give us options and opportunities to learn the lecture material in different formats. Lecture time certainly doesn't feel (to me) like it detracts from my study time.

Which specific residency programs have you heard were malignant?

It certainly isn't that our students are unprotected; our hours are reported, and there are many outlets available for us to give feedback. It's true that call is spent at the hospital, not at home as in many other programs. I think this is a good thing, though. I have been told that our students tend to do well in first year of residency and on away rotations because of the structure of these clinical rotations.

As armybound said, 9-5 isn't very accurate. Dissections may go as late as 5 once or twice a week, but scheduled lecture is typically over by 12 or 1pm. Our school also tries to give us options and opportunities to learn the lecture material in different formats. Lecture time certainly doesn't feel (to me) like it detracts from my study time.

Thanks for the feedback armybound and Tolip. Tolip, are you an MS3 or 4 by chance? I am curious what their opinions are...I am especially concerned about the "Unprotected med student" comment, but you have reassured me that their is some oversight.

I am curious why such a comment would be made, as well as the "they really work their med students hard". Whoever said that (it was a guest account, can't track them unfortunately) must have had a very different experience at their own medicial school to make a note of UT Houston's treatment of med students (unprotected, hardworking).

As for the malignant residencies, several threads here on SDN mention surgery and internal medicine to be malignant. The thread which I am referencing about unprotected/overworked med students is the IM program.

My main concern is, are MS3's and MS4's at Houston happy?

anybody else get a greetings card from them. that was quite nice of them!

Thanks for the feedback armybound and Tolip. Tolip, are you an MS3 or 4 by chance? I am curious what their opinions are...I am especially concerned about the "Unprotected med student" comment, but you have reassured me that their is some oversight.

I am curious why such a comment would be made, as well as the "they really work their med students hard". Whoever said that (it was a guest account, can't track them unfortunately) must have had a very different experience at their own medicial school to make a note of UT Houston's treatment of med students (unprotected, hardworking).

As for the malignant residencies, several threads here on SDN mention surgery and internal medicine to be malignant. The thread which I am referencing about unprotected/overworked med students is the IM program.

No, I'm an MS1. I have several friends who graduated in '09, though.
The main complaints I've heard about IM and surgery are the ammount of time spent rounding and the length of time spent scrubbed in, in the OR. As with any school, there are some residents and attendings who are more abrasive than others. I haven't heard anything about the courses themselves, though, that would make them inherently bad.

I interviewed with an internal medicine doctor that had just graduated this year from UTH's residency program. He had great things to say about his experience.

I got a greetings card also. I'm guessing that it was for people who were pre-matched already.

I also have a few questions for you med students already in UTH.

1.) The traditional UTH curriculum is still the traditional system where you take separate anatomy, biochemistry, microbio, physio, etc... courses right? I heard that there are weeks in which you have like 4-5 tests in a row. How are you guys able to cope with that?

2.) How much of the rotations do you guys do in Memorial Hermann, and how many rotations can you do in the other hospitals, like St. Luke, Methodist, Texas Children's, M.D. Anderson, etc... Are the other hospitals readily accessible to UT-H students?

3.) Since Memorial Hermann, a private hospital, is UT-H's main teaching hospital, do you guys get to do a lot with yall's patients? (The people at UTMB say that since they are in charge of the healthcare of the Texas prisoners, the medical students get to really get their hands on them and do anything they want. My friend at Baylor says that get to "do almost anything" they want also since Ben Taub is run by Baylor residents and most of the people there can't even pay for their healthcare.)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.