2009-2010 University of Texas Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey what time do you think people will leave the social... My plane doesn't get in till 830 and I don't think I could be there until 915. Do you think people will still be there?

Last Thursday, I arrived around 8pm to the UT-H interview social. There was a good size crowd. I had to pull myself away at 11:30pm. Most of the interviewees left around 9:30pm. I had plenty of med students to myself. It looked like there were even more med students hanging out inside not connected to the Interview social.

The social is fun to go to. It is a great way to hear the students perspective in a relaxed atmosphere. Interview day time is limited and you are part of a crowd. They do give you plenty of opportunities to ask questions through out the day.

If you can, go to the social!

Btw, after leaving the social. I then talked with my student host for a couple more hours. That was the best! She is an MS3 so I got to hear a lot of details about preparing for Step 1 and such.

If you can, stay with a host!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone get any interviews today?

Nothing here either :(:(:(. I think they might send some on Monday since they didnt give any out last Friday either and emailed some invitations out this past Monday.

does everyone's TMDSAS have a button at the top for accepting or denying prematch offers or does that appear if you have one to accept/decline?

does everyone's TMDSAS have a button at the top for accepting or denying prematch offers or does that appear if you have one to accept/decline?

Everyone has it. If you click on it, no schools appear if you have no pre-match offers. Apparently even the out of state students have it.

So that means the last day they have to invite for is January 8th. Decembe 4th and 11th have already gone out.

Yeah, I will be in Houston on December 11th interviewing at Baylor. So I emailed UTH to ask if I happened to be on an interview list, could I do it near the same day to minimize flight costs. They said they were interviewing on the same day and it was full (I know they've sent out the invites too because my friend is interviewing that day). And I'm assuming they sent out the December 4th invites too since they already sent out for the 11th. The invites for the 11th went out last Tuesday morning. Sorry for the bad news, looks like we just have to wait for January 8th invites.

Yeah, I will be in Houston on December 11th interviewing at Baylor. So I emailed UTH to ask if I happened to be on an interview list, could I do it near the same day to minimize flight costs. They said they were interviewing on the same day and it was full (I know they've sent out the invites too because my friend is interviewing that day). And I'm assuming they sent out the December 4th invites too since they already sent out for the 11th. The invites for the 11th went out last Tuesday morning. Sorry for the bad news, looks like we just have to wait for January 8th invites.

:(
bye bye dream school

What would you guys say are the top signs an interview went well?

I had an interview recently that I thought went really well and I'm try to stay positive... :xf:

-Interviewer gave me his business card and told me to "look him up if I got to their school"
-Interviewer gave me a CD of a lecture he'd attended and enjoyed.
-Interview was longer than normal 30 minutes
-Interviewer and I also chatted pleasantly about non-interview things like hope from doctors to patients + benefits of this, patient contact, what type of doctors he really admires, etc... all of this "off the record" as he said. We also shared stories about our parents' illness and how its hard to have a parent die when you're young.
-Interviewer seemed impressed by my "pretty GPA" (closed file interview but he asked and I told him)
-Interviewer smiled and laughed several times and was very pleasant with me, after grilling me a tiny bit at the beginning.
-I didn't ramble, but rather gave succinct, appropriate answers (my biggest goal for this interview because I had a problem with rambling last year :laugh:)

What do you guys think? Also, how do you gauge if an interview went well? :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be interviewing at UT-Houston on December 11th. This is my 3rd time to apply through TMDSAS, so I am very hopeful that this will be the year! Does anyone know if UT-Houston relies heavily on pre-match? I wonder if there are still many spots left at this point?

I'm not sure I will be able to go to the social the night before because at this point I will be driving--and I have 2 structural anatomy tests December 10th in the afternoon in my master's program in Fort Worth... Is it bad to arrive at the social late? I would really like to try and make it!

I am very excited!

UTH does not participate heavily in pre-match; about 20-30 acceptances are offered then. There are plenty of spots open for the match.

The social may not be well attended on the 10th. The MS1s will be taking finals.

What would you guys say are the top signs an interview went well?

I had an interview recently that I thought went really well and I'm try to stay positive... :xf:

-Interviewer gave me his business card and told me to "look him up if I got to their school"
-Interviewer gave me a CD of a lecture he'd attended and enjoyed.
-Interview was longer than normal 30 minutes
-Interviewer and I also chatted pleasantly about non-interview things like hope from doctors to patients + benefits of this, patient contact, what type of doctors he really admires, etc... all of this "off the record" as he said. We also shared stories about our parents' illness and how its hard to have a parent die when you're young.
-Interviewer seemed impressed by my "pretty GPA" (closed file interview but he asked and I told him)
-Interviewer smiled and laughed several times and was very pleasant with me, after grilling me a tiny bit at the beginning.
-I didn't ramble, but rather gave succinct, appropriate answers (my biggest goal for this interview because I had a problem with rambling last year :laugh:)

What do you guys think? Also, how do you gauge if an interview went well? :luck:

Sounds like a very successful interview! Make sure to write a Thank You letter to follow up! Congrats & best of luck!!!

Unfortunately, my experience from last year has me a bit jaded. I interviewed at 2 schools and was subsequently waitlisted at both schools. However, my interviews went very well. I am thinking that although my interviews went well, my numbers were not competitive enough. Hopefully, higher numbers this year will work in my favor! :)

UTH does not participate heavily in pre-match; about 20-30 acceptances are offered then. There are plenty of spots open for the match.

The social may not be well attended on the 10th. The MS1s will be taking finals.

Thank you for letting me know about pre-match and about the social. I have finals that week too--of course, they are not the same level of difficulty as medical school finals. But, I didn't want to move my interview to January because I am so eager to visit UTH.

Are UT-Houston's interviews open file?

Best of luck to you armybound as you get near to finals! Hopefully, you all get a nice long winter break before gearing up for spring.

Are you sure only 20-30 acceptances in pre-match, or are calculating this based on the "percentage of matriculate students who were offered pre-match"? This latter statement could imply that 60 or 70 students were offered pre-match, but only 30 enrolled. Just curious

Are you sure only 20-30 acceptances in pre-match, or are calculating this based on the "percentage of matriculate students who were offered pre-match"? This latter statement could imply that 60 or 70 students were offered pre-match, but only 30 enrolled. Just curious
Only 20-30 get offers. It's a very small number.

When I interviewed they said they fill only 10-20% of the class in the pre-match because they don't want anyone to be interviewing for waitlist spots in December and January. 10-20% is pretty close to 20-30 people.

When I interviewed they said they fill only 10-20% of the class in the pre-match because they don't want anyone to be interviewing for waitlist spots in December and January. 10-20% is pretty close to 20-30 people.

Yeah I agree that 10-20% of 230 students is 30 people. But the statistic that UT houston tells us at interviews about 10-20% is how many people of their entering class was accepted pre-match and then enrolled, not necessarily how many pre-match offers they made.

For example, last year UT Houston accepted 321 students, and 212 enrolled. What are these 119 people who were accepted but didn't enroll? If people are accepted during the match, they are 95% (making this number up, but it must be very high) likely to go there because the match leads to "high yield" admissions...that leads me to believe that the majority of these people who were accepted who didn't end up matriculating must have been accepted during the pre-match period when they had options of turning down UT Houston. Right? I don't know, just trying to figure through this. Armybound, you go to UT-H so if you still say its 20-30 people I'll take your word for it but I'm curious how so many people are able to turn down UT-H post-match

people who are competitive at UTH may end up waitlisted at schools like Southwestern and Baylor and will give up a UTH match to enroll elsewhere.

I've spoken with Dr Kellaway several times about pre-match, and it really is just 20-30 offers extended total. Dr Kellaway really believes in the match and giving every interview date the same opportunity.

people who are competitive at UTH may end up waitlisted at schools like Southwestern and Baylor and will give up a UTH match to enroll elsewhere.

I've spoken with Dr Kellaway several times about pre-match, and it really is just 20-30 offers extended total. Dr Kellaway really believes in the match and giving every interview date the same opportunity.

Ah ok. Wow, that is very surprising

So I was doing some thinking about the chances of getting into Houston.

From what we have seen here are the numbers:

1100 people interview (or at least they were planning to)

321 students accepted as stated by H2O2's post

230 seats if the class is completely filled
21 spots of those for OOS.

I was just wondering how many OOS people are interviewed and how many of the acceptances were sent out for OOS. From what I understand they do not participate in the match and the acceptances for them are pretty much already sent out. Does this make the interview pool waiting for acceptances a bit smaller right? Say 150 OOS interview and X number are sent acceptances does it pretty much knock the rest of them out of the proccess then?

Yeah I agree that 10-20% of 230 students is 30 people. But the statistic that UT houston tells us at interviews about 10-20% is how many people of their entering class was accepted pre-match and then enrolled, not necessarily how many pre-match offers they made.

For example, last year UT Houston accepted 321 students, and 212 enrolled. What are these 119 people who were accepted but didn't enroll? If people are accepted during the match, they are 95% (making this number up, but it must be very high) likely to go there because the match leads to "high yield" admissions...that leads me to believe that the majority of these people who were accepted who didn't end up matriculating must have been accepted during the pre-match period when they had options of turning down UT Houston. Right? I don't know, just trying to figure through this. Armybound, you go to UT-H so if you still say its 20-30 people I'll take your word for it but I'm curious how so many people are able to turn down UT-H post-match

OOS acceptances can add to the number accepted, but that don't attend. OOSers deal with the acceptance just like any other AMCAS acceptance, so they could go elsewhere easily--another Texas school, or somewhere else altogether (why would they??? :)) For the rest that get accepted and don't attend, I'd have to say it's the wait-list offers, as armybound said. (how about these tests coming up, army? it's getting close to worry time... :oops:)

armybound,

I have a mac but run windows on it as well, will this laptop be able to be used at UTH or will I have to purchase a new one?

I have a mac but run windows on it as well, will this laptop be able to be used at UTH or will I have to purchase a new one?

I would say our class is on target with the apple market share of laptops ~20%. I have a mbp and it works perfectly for everything except checking grades (once a month), which is when I have to boot into windows or use my desktop.

Whether you decide to use a mac or not, make sure what you do use has a good battery life. It's pretty nice that I rarely have to charge my computer at school. Only when I'm anchored at a table studying do I plug mine in. It makes it much more portable and grab-and-go for classes like histo lab, clin apps, and just regular lectures. That may not make much sense right now, but trust me, it would be a huge headache to have a computer with only 2hr battery life.

So I was doing some thinking about the chances of getting into Houston.

From what we have seen here are the numbers:

1100 people interview (or at least they were planning to)

321 students accepted as stated by H2O2's post

230 seats if the class is completely filled
21 spots of those for OOS.

This is funny because I remember when I interviewed last year I overheard someone ask Dr. K a question about "exactly how many" pre-match or out of state or something statistical, and she said something along the lines of "I really don't like to say because then people start coming up with crazy formulas on their chances." I know you didn't make up a crazy formula, but that scenario popped into my head when I started to see all of those numbers.

I'm excited to see who will be our 2.006 neighbors next year when we're holding it down in the 1.006.

Whether you decide to use a mac or not, make sure what you do use has a good battery life. It's pretty nice that I rarely have to charge my computer at school. Only when I'm anchored at a table studying do I plug mine in. It makes it much more portable and grab-and-go for classes like histo lab, clin apps, and just regular lectures. That may not make much sense right now, but trust me, it would be a huge headache to have a computer with only 2hr battery life.

Could you tell me what type of laptop (brand, year?) you have please? My laptop is ancient and only has a 40min :eek: battery life! haha

Needless to say, I'm in the market for a good laptop.

Could you tell me what type of laptop (brand, year?) you have please? My laptop is ancient and only has a 40min :eek: battery life! haha

I'm using a MacBook Pro (~2009). I'm not really a "Mac guy," but it was recommended by a lot of people and I couldn't find a better computer for the money.

13" Macbook Pro I bought in August. I had never used a mac before and I love it. The huge track pad with gestures sold me. I would personally wait until the summer prior to matriculation in order to buy.

As far as I know they still haven't given out invites for January 8th, the last date.

Interviewed at UT Houston last week, and LOVED this school! Dr. Kellaway is amazing and sells the school from the moment you get there. Our tourguide was AWESOME, too :). He was very enthusiastic about the medical center and all of the people at the school.

Now for the waiting....

Did any of yall that prematched get a hard copy of your letter of acceptance in the mail yet?

Can anybody tell me how housing works? I'm kind of confused on that, their housing website isn't very helpful.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but Jan 15th (or definitely a day in January) is when you can submit your application for housing. I hear the earlier the better, so I am assuming you must have proof that you have been accepted (ie. pre-match) right?

Also, how hard is it to get in? Do I rank the units I desire...how hard is it to get a 1 bedroom? If I select "2 bedroom", would they pair me with a roommate or would I have to find one myself?

Also, how are the apartments, are they nice?

Can anybody tell me how housing works? I'm kind of confused on that, their housing website isn't very helpful.

You need either an ID or your acceptance letter to apply. You'll give them your top 2 floor plan choices in El Paseo and/or in Cambridge. You'll have to give them your desired month of move in.

Getting your app in early is an understatement. From what I hear, people line up pretty darn early on the day the applications begin (mid January). So it's not likely that you'll get a unit in El Paseo if you're submitting your housing application in March or something like that.

Also, how are the apartments, are they nice?
El Paseo is pretty nice, and very new. It's not gonna have granite counter tops or marble bathrooms, but it gets the j-o-b done. Cambridge is a little dated on the outside, but I have yet to go inside a Cambridge unit, so I don't know what the interior is like.

The main selling point is the location (right next to the rec center), the accessibility with the UT Shuttle, and the price compared to similar units in the medical center is about $100-250/mo. cheaper.

Someone who lives at student housing will probably chime in on more info.

Does anyone know how financial aid is like for OOS students at UT Houston?

what about it, specifically? cost, scholarship opportunities?

Both. I've heard some Texas schools offer OOS students in-state tuition through scholarships. Does Houston offer something like that?

At my interview date, Dr. K said that all accepted OOS student will be paying IS tuition

Can one of the current students explain the grading process? I thought I wrote it down on my interview day but can't find it. Is it pass/fail/honors, grading, curves, etc? Are students ranked? How do they select students for AOA eligibility?

Can one of the current students explain the grading process?

No curves.

Honors>90>High Pass>85>Pass>70>Marginal Performance>65>Fail

Some classes stray a little on those numbers.

No rankings.

Not sure about AOA.

Did any of yall that prematched get a hard copy of your letter of acceptance in the mail yet?

No, not yet. I'm going to email Dr. K on Monday though with a few questions and ask about that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.