2009-2010 University of Texas Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
first semester most days are 9-12, sometimes 8-12, with labs in the afternoons. MWF labs are required (every other day on MWF you'll just have to peer-teach until ~130). every once in a while you'll have ICM or clinapps, which are also required, as well as a random histology TBL that you'll be required to be at.

first semester is pretty lax other than the gross dissection schedule, in my opinion

Members don't see this ad.

excellent, thank you for the information.

One more, how comfortable is the school with years away researching? I'm interested in the cloisters program and was wondering if they've sent anyone for a year. Also, how helpful are the staff in assisting in setting up international away electives? Do they pay any %age of away rotations?

I also like that I am a 5+ year member and you are a 2+ and have 11,000 more posts than I do, I guess that gives it away that I'm a non-trad

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also slightly non-trad (applied 3 times), I just spend too much time on here.

Regarding your other questions, unfortunately I don't have any answers. Those aren't issues I've been concerned with, so I haven't looked into then. Maybe some of the other students will have more info.

I was also slightly non-trad (applied 3 times), I just spend too much time on here.

Regarding your other questions, unfortunately I don't have any answers. Those aren't issues I've been concerned with, so I haven't looked into then. Maybe some of the other students will have more info.

Did schools look unfavorably upon you being a 3rd time applicant.. like how many interviews did you have the 3rd time around in Texas?

This is my second cycle. I had 1 interview (UT-H) last year, and 3 interviews (A&M, Tech-Lubbock, UTMB) this year... waiting for Feb 1 results... but just worried because so many prematches were given out...

And while I'm hopeful this year will be better, I was just curious about the 3rd time around and how med schools view it. Clearly, you got in, but I'm just wondering, if I may, how you did in each cycle you applied?

Thanks so much :)

Did schools look unfavorably upon you being a 3rd time applicant.. like how many interviews did you have the 3rd time around in Texas?

This is my second cycle. I had 1 interview (UT-H) last year, and 3 interviews (A&M, Tech-Lubbock, UTMB) this year... waiting for Feb 1 results... but just worried because so many prematches were given out...

And while I'm hopeful this year will be better, I was just curious about the 3rd time around and how med schools view it. Clearly, you got in, but I'm just wondering, if I may, how you did in each cycle you applied?

I don't think they looked on me unfavorably for it. I improved my application year to year, so I think it kept improving my chances. If I applied with the exact same application every year, it wouldn't have worked out well for me.

The first time I applied (beginning of senior year) I didn't get any interviews in Texas. The second time I applied (summer after first year of grad school) I interviewed in San Antonio and Tech-Lubbock. The third time I interviewed at UT-H, A&M, San Antonio, and Tech-Lubbock and pre-matched at A&M and UT-H.

The process is a little arbitrary, so you just have to keep putting in work and improving your application however you can, even if it means working on your personality and such if the interviews just weren't going too well. If it's really what you want to do it will work out for you. Just keep pursuing it.

Armybound, thanks so much for your detailed reply :) You don't know how much I appreciate it!

From last application cycle to this one, I also improved my application... MCAT up 4 points, more volunteering, raised GPA... normal stuff, really.

Anyway, hope it makes me successful like it made you successful. And as a side note, thanks a bunch for replying to all of us pre-meds all the time. You're definitely one of the nicest med students I've seen on the forums... genuinely helpful, and not snooty about being a med student while we're just "lowly pre-meds" haha :) We really appreciate it, or at least I do!

If this year doesn't work out for you, take advantage of the reapplicant workshop UT-H holds and also contact Tech-Lubbock. It's really helpful. Those 2 things are probably what made my last application cycle successful.

Hi Dr. Hiner,

I know your post isn't necessarily directed to me, but I am a third time applicant & I have a similar story.... 1st cycle - no interviews; 2nd cycle - 2 interviews -- 2 waitlists; 3rd cycle - 4 interviews & 1 pre-match... I think my interviewers mostly focused on what I had been doing to improve my application... and I think those improvements made me successful this time around... I had only heard from 1 school in October--so I began e-mailing the Deans in addition to calling the schools and making contacts in the offices & I heard back from 3 more schools about interviews.... you are your only advocate for this path--that's what I told myself this year--and I think that mindset truly helped me to be successful... Get in touch with every Texas school that you can in the spring, contact them again in the summer, and touch base with them in the fall too with updates, etc. (if you end up re-applying)... that may sound crazy, but it has worked for several ppl in my Master's program who have pre-matched this time around!

I hope you get great news on Feb. 1st! But, just in case, I hope you don't mind my 2 cents... :)

Hi Dr. Hiner,

.... But, just in case, I hope you don't mind my 2 cents... :)

I greatly appreciate your two cents! Thank you for the info... I hardly knew anything the first time around (poor pre-med help at my school... I'm amazed I even got 1 interview honestly!) If I have to apply again, I feel like I'll really have knowledge on my side, thanks to many kind people (like you and armybound, etc) on SDN (and even a few not so kind people :laugh:)

And thanks, armybound, for info on re-applicant workshops. I hope I don't have to look into it :luck:, but the knowledge is good worst case scenario.

any MS1's or 2's wanna give me a breakdown of what I should be expecting schedule-wise first semester? I know I'll make extensive use of the streaming lectures but would like to know the actual class schedule.

Click here for this year's schedule. MS1 Fall 2009 should be on the top left of the screen. Then just scroll back to September. Might look a little over-whelming at first, but streaming video makes it so much more gooder-er. :thumbup:

I wasn't a third time applicant but I applied once and then waited 2 years to apply again. 0 interviews first time (submitted on 4th to last day) and 3 interviews this time, 2 prematch. 3.4ugpa, published, 3.87 smp gpa, 36mcat taken once). I know that going back to school and taking a similar set of classes to those i'd see in med school would do well and my special masters program paid off.

Thank you for your help on this thread current students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't a third time applicant but I applied once and then waited 2 years to apply again.

I waited 2 years to reapply also, applying to a two year master's program the second I found out i didnt get in. I did other things that improved my application too- research, increased GPA, increased MCAT, increased volunteering, shadowing- first time I had one interview, this time I've gotten 8 (every school in TX- even Baylor- except SW).

This week, I keep waking up expecting it to be Feb 1... About 93 hours to go! (Yes I've started counting in hours, it seems like less time than days to me)

... About 93 hours to go! (Yes I've started counting in hours, it seems like less time than days to me)

Haha, I also started in hours last night also while trying to fall asleep! :p

90!

If I remember correctly, they sent out the matches the Friday before Feb 1. This may have been because it fell on a weekend, I don't know.

Best of luck guys. And even if it isn't good news, don't fret. I've met people in our class who said they got off the waitlist in May-June.

Out of curiosity... Has the "View Match Results" button shown up for anyone on their home page yet?

Me neither. I've been iced/snowed in since last night, and most likely will be all weekend. Cabin fever doesn't help with all this waiting!

I was wondering if anyone knew exactly when the match results would be posted. the TMDSAS website states 8am on feb 1st, but ive heard a lot of people tell me that the results get posted at 12am feb 1st. I know its only a diff of 8 hours but when you've been waiting 6 months.......

I was wondering if anyone knew exactly when the match results would be posted. the TMDSAS website states 8am on feb 1st, but ive heard a lot of people tell me that the results get posted at 12am feb 1st. I know its only a diff of 8 hours but when you've been waiting 6 months.......

well i was looking at the thread from last year and they got it at 8 or 8:01 lol
so based on that i think it will be there at 8 on monday
hope that helps!

good luck tonight everyone. Can't wait to have some more classmates tomorrow

Accepted!!!
I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No email for OOS = bad news, right? I need to buy a plane ticket if UTH said no. Congrats to all who were accepted.

No email for OOS = bad news, right? I need to buy a plane ticket if UTH said no. Congrats to all who were accepted.
i'm wondering the same thing!!!

congrats to everyone accepted :)

For those who didn't get match into UT Houston, do you know how do you find out if you are wait listed or rejected?

I was matched into Texas Tech, but UT Houston is still my top choice school.

Yeah I called no news for oos=bad news. I didn't get any either :(

For those who didn't get match into UT Houston, do you know how do you find out if you are wait listed or rejected?

I was matched into Texas Tech, but UT Houston is still my top choice school.

I know from last year that they auto-waitlist everyone that did not get an acceptance.

They will then re-review all applicants as positions open up. Hope this helps!

Definitely don't be too disappointed, you're still gonna be a doctor!

I know from last year that they auto-waitlist everyone that did not get an acceptance.

They will then re-review all applicants as positions open up. Hope this helps!

Definitely don't be too disappointed, you're still gonna be a doctor!

Thanks for the response. I am from Houston so it would be nice if I can go school here.
What can I do at this point to improve my chance? Maybe I should write a letter of interest and send it to the admission office?

I know it's still way early, but what is the usual response time for people on the waitlist, if they get a phone call that there is an open seat?

does anyone know if it is tough to get accepted off the waitlist and how many people usually get accepted from the waitlist?

there's good waitlist movement at UTH. I even spoke with Kellaway today and she expects a good bit of waitlist movement.

there's good waitlist movement at UTH. I even spoke with Kellaway today and she expects a good bit of waitlist movement.

Gosh I really hope so I applied twice, interviews here twice, and still no word despite the fact interviews seemed to go well too. Good luck to everyone whos still waiting.

so i have never taken an anatomy/physiology course in my life and was wondering if you med students have any suggestions on a good book.

...and NO i am not a gunner. I graduated in December and have been partying/traveling/bumming around ever since (it can get a little boring sometimes with no job and no responsibilities) and thought it might be nice to read up on something medically related every once in awhile. That being said, please don't judge me :laugh:.

you'll get a lot of good resources once you get here. your MS2 buddy will probably give you a Netter's, Rohen's, and/or Grant's dissector.

you could buy the Netter's flash cards if you feel like wasting money.

any idea of when UT-H begins making post-match offers? i am holding a spot at another med school, but UT-H is probably still my top pick...

I heard there is alot of waitlist movement in April...but I hope sooner because UTH is still my top choice!

I heard there is alot of waitlist movement in April...but I hope sooner because UTH is still my top choice!

I called the school recently.

There has been a very small amount of waitlist movement already. The person i talked to said most of the movement occurs after June 15th. This response confused me greatly, because at that point the only ones they can accept are those who have not been accepted anywhere in Texas or those who are willing to give up a sure spot elsewhere for a questionable spot at UT-H... anyone willing to take that gamble?

I repeated this back to him, to make sure I was not misunderstanding and he confirmed. I have my doubts about how accurate this is. It seems that none of this process is executed with scientific precision.

Just is case it hasn't been stated yet, the waitlist is not ranked, per the voice on the phone in admissions.

haha where I heard that is a GREAT question because I am not altogether sure...most likely from my friend who is an MS1, but to be honest I have talked to so many random people about it that I am just not sure anymore...so sorry.
I feel like everything is just speculation anyway, and it really all depends on when people who hold matches make their decisions

well i called the school yesterday and spoke with Chuck in the admissions office and he said there are not any "batch" offers given out after the match. offers are given as people drop out

So any movement here? Anyone get in here through the wait list yet?

i matched to UT Houston and recently received an offer from UTSW. I am having a tough time deciding between these two schools. I was wondering who chose UT Houston above UTSW and your reasons for it. thanks

i matched to UT Houston and recently received an offer from UTSW. I am having a tough time deciding between these two schools. I was wondering who chose UT Houston above UTSW and your reasons for it. thanks

Hey, I just recently started posting here (obviously) but I also matched to UTH :thumbup:. Someone I know received prematch offers at every school. UTSW and UTH were this persons top two choices, and they ended up choosing UTH.

Their decision was based on a few things: people- they felt like they fit in much better with the people at UTH and felt like it was a friendlier environment. This person's family also lives in Houston so they wanted to be
closer to their support system. They also felt that the TMC was too awesome of an opportunity to turn down.

Also, I'm from the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I really, really hate Dallas. I personally loved Houston much more than Dallas.

Although all of this has been based on personal fit, I hope it helps you out!

Status
Not open for further replies.