2009-2010 University of Texas Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have recently decided to accept an offer from another school but already signed a lease in Houston to live with two other entering classmates. I am looking for an entering med student who wants to sublease a house. It is in the Southgate neighborhood (10 minute walk to the medical center) so it is a very convenient place to live. 3 bed/2 bath for $750/mo per person! The house is very spacious and well kept. UT Houston students have lived in it all four years before we decided to lease and highly recommend the property. Message me if you want more information and we can trade contact info.

Members don't see this ad.

yea for a few reasons. Dallas is my hometown so I have a large family/friend base and a couple physicians that I shadowed are part of the UT Southwestern faculty so I also have ties which could help me come time for applying to residency. Still a tough decision bc I really liked UT Houston and was all set with a lease and everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Bluffer. What are you going to do about that lease now that Baylor is still a possibility? haha... they just HAD to make it even more difficult, didn't they?

Hi Guys!!

Congrats to all who received interviews with UTH, you all sound really excited! :)

I was wondering if yall could mention what your undergrad GPAs/MCATs were. I'm hanging on with a 3.57 and 29MCAT, with good volunteering/leadership under my belt. Did anyone get an interview with similar qualifications? I'm dying to get into UTH... since I'm a Houstonian! :D

I loved UT-Houston, but I just withdrew today in favor of the school across the street. I hope some other lucky OOS'er gets my dean's scholarship!;)

I loved UT-Houston, but I just withdrew today in favor of the school across the street. I hope some other lucky OOS'er gets my dean's scholarship!;)

coug, you are a stud. congrats on baylor!

Hi Guys!!

Congrats to all who received interviews with UTH, you all sound really excited! :)

I was wondering if yall could mention what your undergrad GPAs/MCATs were. I'm hanging on with a 3.57 and 29MCAT, with good volunteering/leadership under my belt. Did anyone get an interview with similar qualifications? I'm dying to get into UTH... since I'm a Houstonian! :D

I had similar stats to yours in addition to strong volunteering/leadership/extracurriculars, etc. I interviewed at UT-Houston, and I know people with similar stats to mine and yours that were accepted. If you are invited to interview, do your best to shine, knock your interviews out of the park & I am sure you will be fine. :)

Has anyone heard anything after match...any movement off the wait list at all???

i called the admissions office last week and they said that the committee meets on wednesdays and that they plan to release acceptances on thursday. good luck!!

Just wanted to let you all know a friend of mine was just accepted (today I believe) off of the wait list. I do not know his stats but I can tell you that he's In state and a non-trad applicant. Good luck to all of you that are waiting!

just got accepted off the waitlist yesterday.. having a tough time now deciding between utmb and uth

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptance, and good luck making your decision!

just got accepted off the waitlist yesterday.. having a tough time now deciding between utmb and uth

What were your stats meerkat, if you don't mind.
and are you a trad or non-trad appl.

i heard from a reliable source that they'll be releasing 10-15 acceptances tomorrow... but there have been no rejections for the ~1000 students that have interviewed this cycle, so the waitlist is HUGE. good luck everyone!

i heard from a reliable source that they'll be releasing 10-15 acceptances tomorrow... but there have been no rejections for the ~1000 students that have interviewed this cycle, so the waitlist is HUGE. good luck everyone!

Wow well thats great news. I hope all of us waiting here something soon :). Please accept me houston please!!! ehhehe

Has anyone who was accepted in the last 2 weeks gotten their acceptance packet yet?

just got in off the waitlist. I have a tough decision to make now.

I talked to the admissions office today. They told me they were meeting on Wednesday and were going to give out some spots Wednesday morning. I suppose those with a spot in another school will have that day to decide. Crazy but by now you should pretty much know what you're top spot is. Cross your fingers everyone! :xf:

I talked to the admissions office today. They told me they were meeting on Wednesday and were going to give out some spots Wednesday morning. I suppose those with a spot in another school will have that day to decide. Crazy but by now you should pretty much know what you're top spot is. Cross your fingers everyone! :xf:

Do you mean Thursday morning? Man I really hope I hear something tomorrow :) ia!! Good Luck guys.

did they tell you they were meeting 'today' or 'wednesday'... because today is wednesday? maybe they didnt realize what day it was today?

Congrats! Where are you considering in addition to UTH?

Texas A&M. They've given me significant scholarship money. Houston was always my first choice and when I didn't match there, I set my mind on A&M because I figured that my chances of getting off the waitlist were slim. I already have an apartment, went to the welcome weekend, started getting to know my classmates, etc. They say I have two weeks to decide so I'm going to try to weigh it all out.

Yep, accepting the offer from UT H. It surprisingly took me an entire 2 hours to decide LoL. I'm ecstatic!:D:)

Goodness. I am all sorts of wrong information. Sorry folks. The receptionist told me they would meet next Wednesday (6/16) and hand out acceptances that morning. I called about noon yesterday so they had probably already given out the acceptances for the day. I was under the impression from her that wed was the 15th, but I finally checked the calendar and the 15th is Tuesday. It's not looking too hopeful for us who want to get in before the 15th but there's always a chance for sure. :oops:

Hey yall is anyone still up?? i know its late lol
Anyway im soo extatic i got accepted on June 2 but im still waiting for my letter!!!
I had my heart set on UTMB and thot i wud reject an offer from UTH until I actually got one!!! lol
I thot maybe it was a mistake so ive called several times and theyve reassured me that it wasnt lol

I just wanted to know if anyone that got the email on June 2nd had received their letter yet???

I know some of you are curious so ill add this lol:

Hey yall is anyone still up?? i know its late lol
Anyway im soo extatic i got accepted on June 2 but im still waiting for my letter!!!
I had my heart set on UTMB and thot i wud reject an offer from UTH until I actually got one!!! lol
I thot maybe it was a mistake so ive called several times and theyve reassured me that it wasnt lol

I just wanted to know if anyone that got the email on June 2nd had received their letter yet???

I know some of you are curious so ill add this lol:

Have you withdrawn from UTMB yet? Or are you waiting for the paperwork from UT H? I'm wondering if I should withdraw from A&M already so that they can fill the spot with someone else but am hesitant to do so without the paperwork from UT H.

No i havent im waiting for the acceptance packet b/c technically its not official till we get the packet. But as soon as i get it i will withdrawal.

hey thanx!!!
i just hope im not choosing UTH for the wrong reasons!!
i mean i know it doesnt have the great reputation that UTMB does yet and neither the high board scores, curriculum etc.
BUT i felt at home wen i interviewed there and plus Id sooo rather be in houston i know sounds kinda immature to decide on location but its kinda important to me lol

UTMB is a great school. You will get a good education at either one. I'm really not sure where you're getting the idea that UTMB has a better reputation than UTH though. I have seen, if anything, the opposite opinion from physicians an professors that I know.

But why would you worried about considering location in your decision? I'd rather not worry so much about Hurricanes, and you can't beat the TMC, no matter where you go.

Also, UTH's avg step 1 score was like 232 last year. I don't know about you but that's pretty good to me.

Hey thanx im feeling much better bout my decision to choose UTH!!!
i think theres gonna be so many possibilities at the TMC its soo exciting!! and im glad to know UTH is doing better on their step scores i just know traditionally theyve been below utmb but i think their gonna keep going up which makes me feel good bout my choice!!

Has anyone who got accepted taken their prereqs at a local community college like Lone Star?

got my acceptance email today at 6pm! called Ms. Murphy afterwards to confirm!
trad applicant, in-state, 4.0, 28Q.

got my acceptance email today at 6pm! called Ms. Murphy afterwards to confirm!
trad applicant, in-state, 4.0, 28Q.

Hey Congrats!!!!
See u in the fall!! What school did u turn down that you were going to attend?

Are there any current UTH students that can comment on the use of MAC laptops? According to the entering student checklist, "Apple computers are not supported by MSIT". It says the use of MACs is allowed, but just seems like its going to be a lot of trouble to do so...any input would be greatly appreciated.

A LOT of students use Macs. Don't be afraid to buy a Mac if that's what you want, or to use the one you have. As long as you can run Windows on it, you're good to go.

A LOT of students use Macs. Don't be afraid to buy a Mac if that's what you want, or to use the one you have. As long as you can run Windows on it, you're good to go.

MAC it is! Thanks!

Hey txdoctobe! Congrats on the acceptance! You didn't miss anything pressing at Welcome Weekend- it was just a time to meet and mingle with your future classmates and upperclassmen.
1. Housing- there are A LOT of apartments to choose from in the area. I think Lanesborough and Greenbriar are the most popular among med students. Most people do live on the shuttle route or next to a rail stop. Other apartments to consider might include those in the museum district- The Plaza, and Amalfi... Can't remember the others. There are also some really nice ones on Kirby and Braeswood on the shuttle route, which include Providence and Arcadian Kirby. Just FYI if you're interested in finding a roommate, plenty of people have been posting on the facebook page.
2. The White Coat Ceremony- I don't think a time has been announced.

Also, idk if you got the email about it, but retreat is the weekend before school starts at Camp Allen. If you did not get the email, pm me your email and I can forward it to you. One more thing, I posted the entering student checklist above, so you should prob check that out.

See you soon! :D

1.Hey for those of us who were admitted in early June, are any of you going to apply for the scholarship?? It's on the entering student checklist but the deadline was like April although it says we can still apply do you all think it's pointless to apply this late??

2. The white coat ceremony is Aug. 11 right?? And is going to be at the medical school or a different location and I could not find the time does anyone know what time it will begin at??

Status
Not open for further replies.