2009-2010 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Withdrew my acceptance yesterday
Best of luck to all those on WL
:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

as requested:

accepted off of waiting list
3.55 overall GPA, 3.60 science GPA. Non-science major
First MCAT: 32Q :oops: Second MCAT: 29N :(
Extensive research/volunteer/shadowing opportunities.

Needless to say, I was quite sure I wasn't going to get in anywhere due to my MCAT score because it showed a downward trend. But in the end, i guess my overall application prevailed... (i think?)

one thing that i would strongly recommend is calling the admissions office to see what you can improve on. it is not going to change your status on the waiting list and you probably already know what you can improve on already. but you can get a gist of what the adcom thinks of your application. for instance, i called as soon as i was wait listed. i talked directly with linda and she kept saying things such as "i wouldn't be surprised if you got accepted at several places..." "you were only wait listed due to the competitiveness of the class" "your application was quite stellar..." etc. which gave me a vague idea as to where i might be on the waiting list. It is grasping at straws.. but it helped me get through until my acceptance.

it was an extremely difficult process for me emotionally and i know how you guys must be feeling. good luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

I got accepted off the waitlist today! I had pretty much written MCG off. I figured I would be way low on the list due to my MCAT and my interview (in my perception) being lackluster.

Per Docdotcom's request:

Stats:
MCAT 27, AO 3.65, Science 3.70, Health Professions B.S. Degree, Non-Trad, very extensive (10 years) full time hospital experience.

I guess my experience set me apart. Either way I am stoked.

I guess a big thank you goes out to blueviola :laugh:!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you two! See you in the Fall!

I just got accepted off the waitlist!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

Is everyone still getting snail mail correspondance for waitlist acceptance?

All this waiting is killing me!
My experience: interview early december, waiting, waiting, waiting, February 1st on hold, waiting, waiting, March 22 waitlisted, waiting, wait-you get the idea...:xf:

but hey, it is only the 7th. We still have a week before we really can start freaking out... unfortunately :eek:

Is everyone still getting snail mail correspondance for waitlist acceptance?

I got a call from Dr. Young this morning. He said that the letter was going in the mail today.

All this waiting is killing me!
My experience: interview early december, waiting, waiting, waiting, February 1st on hold, waiting, waiting, March 22 waitlisted, waiting, wait-you get the idea...:xf:

:luck: Good luck! The process definitely teaches you patience. This was exactly the same for me, only you're forgetting the beginning of it... Submit AMCAS... Wait wait wait... Submit secondary... Wait wait wait... Get interview invite... Wait wait wait... Interview... Then it picks up where you began.

:luck: Good luck! The process definitely teaches you patience. This was exactly the same for me, only you're forgetting the beginning of it... Submit AMCAS... Wait wait wait... Submit secondary... Wait wait wait... Get interview invite... Wait wait wait... Interview... Then it picks up where you began.

Oh yeah... its been so long, I'd forgotten that part...

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!! (Off waitlist.) I'm still crying...

Congrats!!!

Thank you!! What do we know about places to live in Augusta? Anything? I tried searching this forums for info, but didn't find anything. Dunno if it's been discussed before...

Jon the MCG facebook group for housing info.. Or, send me a pm.

Does anyone know how many people have been accepted off the waitlist so far?

congratulations!!! was this through the mail?

Yes, it was sent to my house. I don't know if there was a call preceding that. If they have my house address, they may have my house number too, and my family was with me in Alabama until the afternoon, when they woke me up from my nap to read me the letter. Lol. So no call, that I know of!

Well I just got accepted somewhere else, but I'm still holding out for GA though!!!

At least now I have a backup if mcg doesn't work out.

Thank you!! What do we know about places to live in Augusta? Anything? I tried searching this forums for info, but didn't find anything. Dunno if it's been discussed before...

here is a few places i found recently. i made this list so it will be easier for me when i go visit later this week. i hope it helps

(the bedroom style indicated may not be exactly correct. i was mainly looking into places with townhomes)

Picture1-1.png

several people on facebook are offering houses and such. that might be a cheaper option :)

Is there an MCG group on Facebook at this point?

here is a few places i found recently. i made this list so it will be easier for me when i go visit later this week. i hope it helps

(the bedroom style indicated may not be exactly correct. i was mainly looking into places with townhomes)

Picture1-1.png

several people on facebook are offering houses and such. that might be a cheaper option :)

You are a very helpful little medical student. Thank you. :)

You are a very helpful little medical student. Thank you. :)

honestly, i just have WAYYY too much free time. hahahaha. just waiting for school to start......... it's starting to look like a boring summer :oops:

Withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck to all of you on the waitlist!

By the way, where do we send our final transcripts from undergrad?

since may 15th is on a saturday, have most of the waitlist acceptance calls already gone out, or will there be a huge wave on monday? Just not sure what to expect...

Just got a call from Dr. Young saying my acceptance letter is in the mail. :D

Good luck to those still waiting. There's going to be a lot of movement in the next few days, so don't lose hope. I had been feeling really anxious and low the past few days, but now here it is. So don't lose hope!

Just got a call from Dr. Young saying my acceptance letter is in the mail. :D

Good luck to those still waiting. There's going to be a lot of movement in the next few days, so don't lose hope. I had been feeling really anxious and low the past few days, but now here it is. So don't lose hope!

Congrats!
:xf::xf::xf:

whoa! awesome. lets hope for good vibes in the next few days!! did Dr Young say anything about numbers off the waitlist or movement?

whoa! awesome. lets hope for good vibes in the next few days!! did Dr Young say anything about numbers off the waitlist or movement?

No, he didn't. I called them back in April, and Linda said there would be a lot of movement around the May 15th deadline and again in June.

Hey guys,
I'll be applying this summer and MCG is my top choice.
I was wondering if I could get some advices from people =)

I took my MCAT in March and scored 29, my gpa is 3.6 (both cumulative and science) + I have leadership / research / volunteering experiences.

I registered for July's MCAT, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to go up from 29. I did some serious studying for the first MCAT. If I choose not to retake and apply in June, I could get things in early. However, if I do retake it I have to wait till August to apply.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!!

Would you guys getting in off the wait-list mind letting us know your stats? Just to get a feel for things?

thanks!

Hey guys,
I'll be applying this summer and MCG is my top choice.
I was wondering if I could get some advices from people =)

I took my MCAT in March and scored 29, my gpa is 3.6 (both cumulative and science) + I have leadership / research / volunteering experiences.

I registered for July's MCAT, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to go up from 29. I did some serious studying for the first MCAT. If I choose not to retake and apply in June, I could get things in early. However, if I do retake it I have to wait till August to apply.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!!

If you have good letters of recommendation from a physician and a good undergrad committee letter (if your at UGA the letter from Dr. Langford) then I would say go EDP. I had pretty similar stats (a little higher MCAT and a little lower GPA) and got in EDP. I think interviewed well too. Honestly, I think that MCG really likes their EDP applicants.
Also if you do decide to do EDP, make sure your application is still in early. Do NOT have it in early just for the sake of it being early though. Still make sure it is reflective of your best work and markets YOU well. That said, I had mine in by the end of June/early July even though the deadline was August 1st and I ended up getting one of the first interview days. A lot of the students I interviewed with that day also got in during EDP. I think having your application/secondaries in early shows initiative and that your serious about the process. Also, it might be a good idea to start crafting your Personal Statement now before the application cycle starts. It will be one less thing you will have to do come application time.
The problem with taking the MCAT again is that they look at your last score not your best score. Make sure if you take it again you do better. Your pre-med advisor (if you have one) might be the best person to consult about this. Hope this helps and good luck!

Would you guys getting in off the wait-list mind letting us know your stats? Just to get a feel for things?

thanks!

Sure.

35 MCAT
3.6 GPA
3 years hospital volunteering
3 years research, 1 published paper
Good extracurriculars
Not very much shadowing experience
Interviewed in early November (thought my interview went very well)
Hold letter in late December (early January?)
Waitlist in late March (early April?)
Call from Dr. Young on May 14th

Hope this helps.

Sure.

35 MCAT
3.6 GPA
3 years hospital volunteering
3 years research, 1 published paper
Good extracurriculars
Not very much shadowing experience
Interviewed in early November (thought my interview went very well)
Hold letter in late December (early January?)
Waitlist in late March (early April?)
Call from Dr. Young on May 14th

Hope this helps.
Damn... Pretty good stats. I'm surprised you ended up on the w/l. At least you made it!

We've got similar numbers and experience, hopefully that means I'm close to you on the list!

thanks!

27 MCAT. (30, considering both tries and with only one score coming from the first test -- dunno if they considered this at all)
3.65 GPA.
Lots of shadowing.
Lots of leadership.
Little to no research.
Good interview.

Interviewed in November, alternate list in March, accepted in May!

Withdrew from everywhere else. Officially going to MCG! See you guys in August!

Damn... Pretty good stats. I'm surprised you ended up on the w/l. At least you made it!

We've got similar numbers and experience, hopefully that means I'm close to you on the list!

Haha, I was surprised too. But from what I hear, a lot of great candidates end up on the waiting list (and end up getting accepted).

Good luck to you. I hope you hear from Dr. Young soon.

Does anyone know MCG's policy on May 15th being on a saturday? Does this mean that people were given an extension until monday to decide?

May 15th is a loose guideline. The real pressure for the applicant to only hold once acceptance comes in June, which is the time that Linda mentioned to an applicant earlier on this thread. At that point in time, the admissions office informs the applicant that they must decide on a school (within 24/48 hours), or risk being removed from the accepted pool.

Hi guys! Looking for some advice...

I just got my scores back and only got a 27M. My cGPA is 3.87 and my sGPA is 3.74. I have little shadowing/clinical experience (though I have been volunteering for a hospice for 2 years). I have a few other extracurriculars and a publication in the wings. How smart would it be to do EDP? I'm afraid of pulling myself out of the running for other schools because I don't know how "safe" I am with MCG, but considering my MCAT score isn't great, and I feel like the rest of my resume isn't totally up to par....I dunno!! What's your opinion? Should I risk it?

Are you taking the MCAT again? Are you from Atlanta? Looking at Mercer EDP as well?

You can also try to set up an appointment with the admissions office to get a better feeling of your chances. I think they offer that to prospective students (although it might just be former applicants).

I am retaking, but I'm not retaking in time for it to count for EDP (July 31st). Even if I changed it, there would be NO WAY I'd be ready for it. I wasn't originally planning on applying EDP. I'm not thinking about Mercer because I used to go to school/live around that area, and I'm not a big fan.

Well, all I can say is the following..

For the class of 2013,

EDP applicants ~210
EDP Interviewed ~110
EDP Accepted ~70

GPA ~3.7
MCAT ~30.5

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.