2009-2010 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey Canada wut were your stats like if you dont mind me asking? I'm also Canadian and will be applying to jeff with 3.9/32N, great EC's, great LOR from non professors, still trying to figure out who my prof LOR's will be....:confused:
anyway just wanted to gauge myself with an accepted Canadian. thanks :)

Always happy to help others, especially fellow Canucks.

I applied with a 3.7/35Q, and I'm also a Master's student with a 4.0 grad GPA.

I had one LOR from a prof, one from my grad supervisor who is also a nephrologist, and a third from someone connected to a significant volunteer experience (my Jeff interviewer specifically mentioned this letter).

Doctors are always great referees, but as a non-prof reference, it's always great to get someone who can communicate to the schools you applied to some personal and emotional depth that is not necessarily mentioned elsewhere.

P.S.: I was really impressed with the school, students, faculty, and Centre City. Jeff blew me away in my interview experience, and I feel really fortunate to have been offered a place. I highly recommend.

Members don't see this ad.

I had one LOR from a prof, one from my grad supervisor who is also a nephrologist, and a third from someone connected to a significant volunteer experience (my Jeff interviewer specifically mentioned this letter).

Doctors are always great referees, but as a non-prof reference, it's always great to get someone who can communicate to the schools you applied to some personal and emotional depth that is not necessarily mentioned elsewhere.

P.S.: I was really impressed with the school, students, faculty, and Centre City. Jeff blew me away in my interview experience, and I feel really fortunate to have been offered a place. I highly recommend.

thanks i appreciate it!
from what i;ve read about this school it seems like a good fit for me. I'm just slightly worried about my MCAT. I have been getting mixed opinions whether i should rewrite or not. But i want to submit my app as early as possible so i don't think i will be rewriting... I got 2 MD's and 1 volunteer coordinator person that loves me lol. but on their website they say they need 3 science + 1 non science; but from ur story they seem pretty flexible with that which is nice.

and CONGRATS! YOU LUCKY BASTARD! LOL :thumbup::D:thumbup: *applause*

you've got some solid stats!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys

for those who have interviewed
and for those who are already students at jmc:

why jeff?
what makes jeff unique/special?

REALLY appreciating any responses here.

hey guys

for those who have interviewed
and for those who are already students at jmc:

why jeff?
what makes jeff unique/special?

REALLY appreciating any responses here.

Great location/facilities/hospital system, focus on clinical skills (vs. research), on-campus housing, very close to home for me

hey. does jefferson have any kind of student mentorship program?

Anyone who interviewed in January hear any thing back ? They said they usually make a decision within the next week.

thanks i appreciate it!
from what i;ve read about this school it seems like a good fit for me. I'm just slightly worried about my MCAT. I have been getting mixed opinions whether i should rewrite or not. But i want to submit my app as early as possible so i don't think i will be rewriting... I got 2 MD's and 1 volunteer coordinator person that loves me lol. but on their website they say they need 3 science + 1 non science; but from ur story they seem pretty flexible with that which is nice.

and CONGRATS! YOU LUCKY BASTARD! LOL :thumbup::D:thumbup: *applause*

They are flexible with referees. I e-mailed them in advance before submitting my AMCAS to ensure the LORs I had lined satisfied their requirements, just in case, and it may be a good idea for you to do that if it's something you're concerned about. Also, if they're fine with your chosen referees, they will include the e-mail correspondences in your file, so there's no ambiguity concerning whether or not you satisfy the requirements.

When in doubt, also provide rationale. If I had provided all the referees they wanted, they would have received a bunch of letters from profs who taught me half a decade ago, and had no clue who I was. The letters I submitted provided much more detailed and meaningful descriptions of my personality, abilities, and suitability for a career in medicine. I would say, from the sounds of it, that the letters you have lined up are great, too.

Great location/facilities/hospital system, focus on clinical skills (vs. research), on-campus housing, very close to home for me

these qualities aren't unique (except for being close to you)

any specific suggestions?

how long does it take to travel from the airport to market east by train and then walk to jmc?

roughly 30 minutes? anyone?

how long does it take to travel from the airport to market east by train and then walk to jmc?

roughly 30 minutes? anyone?

The train only leaves the airport every 30 minutes, so I'd leave yourself a little more time. And I'd say maybe 40 minutes for train and walking. Also, depends on which terminal you get on the train because it takes people a while to get on with luggage, etc.

They are flexible with referees. I e-mailed them in advance before submitting my AMCAS to ensure the LORs I had lined satisfied their requirements, just in case, and it may be a good idea for you to do that if it's something you're concerned about. Also, if they're fine with your chosen referees, they will include the e-mail correspondences in your file, so there's no ambiguity concerning whether or not you satisfy the requirements.

When in doubt, also provide rationale. If I had provided all the referees they wanted, they would have received a bunch of letters from profs who taught me half a decade ago, and had no clue who I was. The letters I submitted provided much more detailed and meaningful descriptions of my personality, abilities, and suitability for a career in medicine. I would say, from the sounds of it, that the letters you have lined up are great, too.

the bolded part sort of confused me, do you mean they will include the email where they tell me that my referees are fine in my file? thanks a lot for your help!

so who all has decided on Jeff as their final acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
How late does Jeff interview?
I've been complete since October and have yet to hear anything from them, do they do silent rejections?

I'm interviewing a week from this Wednesday! Anybody else interviewing on the 3rd?

I've been complete since October and have yet to hear anything from them, do they do silent rejections?

i was wondering the same thing...complete since october

They interview into April.

Unfortunately, yes, they absolutely do silent rejections.

was there last wednesday. they said they had two left after this. So I am guessing tomorrow and a week from tomorrow are there last interview days.

was there last wednesday. they said they had two left after this. So I am guessing tomorrow and a week from tomorrow are there last interview days.

bummer....guess i'm not sending that update letter after all hah

Eh that sucks. Guess their website isn't very accurate.

No, because my interview isn't until 3/10. Also, my original interview date was 3/31, so they still have a couple more.

:xf:Hoping to hear something today!! Interviewed 2/3

I interviewed on the same day. They've only had one admissions committee meeting since (because of the huge snowfall in Philly a few weeks ago), so I don't think most students have heard back.

Good luck.

Interview Invite for 3/17/2010.

Submitted in August.

Beyond excited as I love everything about Jefferson and was anxiously waiting to hear from them.

Just status page for now.

I'm assuming the email will follow at some other time.

Unless this is some cruel status page malfunction...

(Thanks MiniMoo :) )

Congrats.

I thought they accept via a phone call from Dr. Callahan. Maybe you missed the call?

Congrats.

I thought they accept via a phone call from Dr. Callahan. Maybe you missed the call?

I think he just means an interview invite. Dr. Callahan calls if you get accepted.

Congrats ZonaPellucida!

Accepted today! LOVE this school.

Phone call from Dr. C

just checked my e-mail and i got an interview invite for 4/7! i know this is really late in the game, but i'm still stoked because i had written jeff off as a silent rejection already since i was complete in september and hadn't heard a peep from them since. omg omg omg, can't wait! seems like an awesome school!

Interview Invite for 3/17/2010.

Submitted in August.

Beyond excited as I love everything about Jefferson and was anxiously waiting to hear from them.

just checked my e-mail and i got an interview invite for 4/7! i know this is really late in the game, but i'm still stoked because i had written jeff off as a silent rejection already since i was complete in september and hadn't heard a peep from them since. omg omg omg, can't wait! seems like an awesome school!

Hi Zona Pellucida & KTDseven77,
First off, Congrats on the interview invite! You guys must definitely deserve it! And good luck in advance! :)

Jeff has always been my top choice and I submitted my secondary late September along with a couple updates here and there. So far I haven't heard a thing from them. Would you be kind enough to share your stats? Thanks!

i was wondering the same thing...complete since october

Same, I do know someone who was complete around the same time as me that got an interview invite last week. Hopefully I'll be hearing something soon.

Same, I do know someone who was complete around the same time as me that got an interview invite last week. Hopefully I'll be hearing something soon.

i've been complete since then too! and have sent updates... i was thinking that i def got silently rejected but i am so excited to hear that people got interviews like today!!!!! congratsssss!!!

Hi Zona Pellucida & KTDseven77,
First off, Congrats on the interview invite! You guys must definitely deserve it! And good luck in advance! :)

Jeff has always been my top choice and I submitted my secondary late September along with a couple updates here and there. So far I haven't heard a thing from them. Would you be kind enough to share your stats? Thanks!

My stats are definitely subpar for Jeff. 32R, approx. 3.5 gpa and 3.4 sgpa. I guess my personal statement must have dazzled them ;) I am a PA resident, although I don't know if that's even relevant for Jeff, since they're basically the state school of Delaware. Thanks for the congrats, and I hope you hear something soon!

I wonder why my date is so soon? I'm not complaining... its just odd when people who got offers in the beginning of Feb have interview days after even mine...

Also:

I plan to fly in to Philly the morning of my interview and taxi to the school. If I get a flight that leaves my hometown at 6AM connects in Newark, and is in Philly by 8ish I will be fine on time I'm sure. I am just worried about delays/missing connection/weather/etc. Do you think this is a safe way to go? Or is too risky because there is a connection involved? Hopefully the snow chills out by Mar17 but March is always unpredictable.

I did this with my Temple interview except I took a direct from my hometown right to philly... but for $1000. I figured I would save....$700...and do the connection route this time :laugh: ridiculous.

Last edited:
I wonder why my date is so soon? I'm not complaining... its just odd when people who got offers in the beginning of Feb have interview days after even mine...

Also:

I plan to fly in to Philly the morning of my interview and taxi to the school. If I get a flight that leaves my hometown at 6AM connects in Newark, and is in Philly by 8ish I will be fine on time I'm sure. I am just worried about delays/missing connection/weather/etc. Do you think this is a safe way to go? Or is too risky because there is a connection involved? Hopefully the snow chills out by Mar17 but March is always unpredictable.

I did this with my Temple interview except I took a direct from my hometown right to philly... but for $1000. I figured I would save....$700...and do the connection route this time :laugh: ridiculous.

When I flew the day before my interview, I flew through Newark for my connection, and was delayed 4+ hours. Another interviewee that day had a later flight through Newark and he was delayed too (plus they lost his bag) in Newark. Both of us were with Continental which I am assuming you are doing if you fly through Newark.

IMO, far too risky to fly through Newark same day. Especially consider that if you are taking SEPTA to save money which takes over 30min to get to the closest station, you may miss the train you want.

When I flew the day before my interview, I flew through Newark for my connection, and was delayed 4+ hours. Another interviewee that day had a later flight through Newark and he was delayed too (plus they lost his bag) in Newark. Both of us were with Continental which I am assuming you are doing if you fly through Newark.

IMO, far too risky to fly through Newark same day. Especially consider that if you are taking SEPTA to save money which takes over 30min to get to the closest station, you may miss the train you want.

Ouch.

Guess I'll be looking for a student host once I get the email response. I don't want to miss class on Tuesday but I end at 12:30 so I can just get a late afternoon/night flight. Thanks for the straight-forward advice. :thumbup:

interview invite yesterday for 3/17, but will withdraw tomorrow. so if you're looking to interview earlier, try giving them a call

Ouch.

Guess I'll be looking for a student host once I get the email response. I don't want to miss class on Tuesday but I end at 12:30 so I can just get a late afternoon/night flight. Thanks for the straight-forward advice. :thumbup:

I think you're making the right call, and got some good advice. Personally, I would never take a chance...the risk of missing (or being late for) your interview far outweights the cost of going earlier.

Best of luck.

I'm interviewing soon and I was wondering if it's ok to skip out on cookie hour. I might have to catch a train. Has anyone gotten in who didn't talk personally to Callahan and Brooks?

And for those who did talk to them, how long did you talk to them for? I imagine that with a room full of applicants, each person only gets a minute or two. Past interviewers, any insight would be awesome!! :)

Congrats to all those accepted. I hope to be joining you all!

I spoke very briefly to Dr. Callahan at the cookie hour, basically for directions back to the admissions office because I'd lost a form and I was still accepted. Don't know if that helps you out, but I know I was fairly worried at the time.

I spoke very briefly to Dr. Callahan at the cookie hour, basically for directions back to the admissions office because I'd lost a form and I was still accepted. Don't know if that helps you out, but I know I was fairly worried at the time.

Thanks! I hear that they are very involved but I'm not sure to what extent. It's like an extra interview on top of the other two! Any one else want to weigh in?

And congrats on your acceptance! JMC is such an awesome place!

Status
Not open for further replies.