2008-2009 University of Iowa Carver Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda weird that they sent out emails this year. I am trying not to read into it too much. We cant assume anything.
FYI they sent out emails to people who were accepted during rolling admissions also. They were followed by letters in the mail several days later.

I was very surprised to see an email from them considering they made such a point on interview day that the decisions came by mail.

In any event, good luck to those of you still waiting. They accept about 50% of in-staters post-interview so if you're IS and haven't heard don't worry just yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing in the mail for me today, unless it's not USPS (which would be presumably awesome)... I thought Iowa City to Ames would only take a day.

I just emailed the admissions office and they said decision letters were mailed today. I don't know if this means that people who didn't receive an email yesterday are either rejected or wait listed, but I didn't receive an email so I am trying to keep my hopes up. :xf:

I called today as well just for clarification. EVERYONE who was accepted from the rolling admissions poole (whichever poole involved sending out notices starting yesterday) received an e-mail. All those who are waitlisted or rejected will simply receive something in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today as well just for clarification. EVERYONE who was accepted from the rolling admissions poole (whichever poole involved sending out notices starting yesterday) received an e-mail. All those who are waitlisted or rejected will simply receive something in the mail.

Can you rephrase that? If you are in the "final pool" and are accepted, does that mean you have received an email allready? Or is just those who were accepted off of rolling, and it happened to coincide with the final pool decision?

Can you rephrase that? If you are in the "final pool" and are accepted, does that mean you have received an email allready? Or is just those who were accepted off of rolling, and it happened to coincide with the final pool decision?

Sorry for being unclear...

For whichever group just started hearing back yesterday:

Accepted = e-mail and follow up packet

Alternate list or rejection = letter in mail

Waitlisted... :( It is ranked as well. I don't want to say the number, but it's mid 20s on the instate list

Last edited:
Poiu are you in IC? Tryin to figure out when I might expect something.

Last year people with numbers like yours got in, so there's hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only got a letter in the mail. No email. Thanks for the encouragement! Are you accepted, or waiting for news?:luck:

Poui;
I do not know. I have not received anything. I think by Saturday I will know where I stand. Again, most likely you will get in.

Waitlisted OOS. Low 70's

I think that will be right on the border. :oops: Now more waiting!

Heres to BIG WL movement this year!!! I OOS and waitlisted in the 30s. Carver is tied for my top choice... (Probably will come down to which WL i get off first or if at all.) Lookin through the thread from last year I know I saw someone that was initially given oos#46 and got in in July... And I think even higher numbers got in too. If this year has taught me one thing then its submit early. But... if its taught me two things its patience.

Rejected. Letter was dated early January, how nice of them to keep me waiting for a decision made months ago.

Rejected. Letter was dated early January, how nice of them to keep me waiting for a decision made months ago.

Were the waitlist letters dated January too? Or was it just the rejection letters?

Were the waitlist letters dated January too? Or was it just the rejection letters?

To be honest I'm not sure. I just got a call from my brother saying I had mail at home from Carver so I made him open it for me. I should get to see the actual letter later tonight.

Ok after this I'll stop posting for a while I promise...
Here is the Fall 07 data:

IS: 321 applied, 260 interviewed, 129 were accepted, 99 enrolled
OOS: 2635 applied, 419 interviewed, 176 were accepted, 49 enrolled

Judging by those numbers, there was some pretty good WL movement. I know each year is a different animal but I've been way too pessimistic this year so far so I'm gonna change my attitude. And now I wait...

OOS - got my post interview rejection letter today. Can't say I care since I've been accepted to my #1 choice since the interview. Also got this email less than an hour ago:

Dear Applicant:

On March 10, 2009, the Carver College of Medicine Admissions Committee met to finalize admissions decisions and letters were mailed the next day.
Inadvertently, the letter you received or will be receiving is incorrectly dated. We apologize for this error and wanted to assure you that the decision on your application was made on March 10.

Sincerely,
Catherine Solow
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and Curriculum
Carver College of Medicine

good luck to everyone!! :luck:

Oh, that sucks. I got an email concerning the whole date thing today. My letter is waiting for me back at school (I'm on "Spring" break). Well, I guess I am anticipating a rejection...oh well. There's always next year1

n/m

Last edited:
I know, I agree. I wish they just used email for all correspondence. I hope they just had the wrong dates on random letters for both of our sakes. If not, it won't kill me to go through the entire process again...

Just read my rejection letter. It was dated January 6. Not to be a bummer, but I am pretty sure that if you received that email about the incorrect date it means you aren't on the wait list. This is my second year applying to Iowa and I improved my MCAT score, participated in more activities, and even talked with Cathy Solow about how I could improve my application. Good luck to everyone who is on the wait list.

My rejection was dated Jan. 6. Is that the case for everyone else?

I agree. Email concerning incorrect date = rejection. However, I did not interview until Jan 21st...but it would only make sense to send one mass email to all applicants who were not accepted regardless. Did anyone not wait listed have a different date than the 6th on their letter? If the 6th is uniform, did any of those interview after the 6th?

I agree. Email concerning incorrect date = rejection. However, I did not interview until Jan 21st...but it would only make sense to send one mass email to all applicants who were not accepted regardless. Did anyone not wait listed have a different date than the 6th on their letter? If the 6th is uniform, did any of those interview after the 6th?

I interviewed the 21st as well!

I interviewed the 21st as well!
Great! It was a good day. I would have really liked to have attended the school. I was glad to have at least been invited for an interview.

Ok after this I'll stop posting for a while I promise...
Here is the Fall 07 data:

IS: 321 applied, 260 interviewed, 129 were accepted, 99 enrolled
OOS: 2635 applied, 419 interviewed, 176 were accepted, 49 enrolled

Judging by those numbers, there was some pretty good WL movement. I know each year is a different animal but I've been way too pessimistic this year so far so I'm gonna change my attitude. And now I wait...

Do anybody have any other links or more recent trends? For example, at EVMS one student told us off-hand that the school likes to fill up acceptances first, and then pile through the waitlist. Just wondering what the style of Carver was, for better or worse.....

...OOS'er worries and all...:confused:

Hey guys!
I'm number 37 on the IS waitlist... any idea what the odds are that I'll get in? Or how many people are placed on the waitlist?

Thanks!

Hey guys!
I'm number 37 on the IS waitlist... any idea what the odds are that I'll get in? Or how many people are placed on the waitlist?

Thanks!

I think last year about 30 people were taken off the waitlist in-state.

Just got my letter...I am on the alternate list in the mid-40's OOS. Seems like a long shot, but I am keeping my fingers crossed! Iowa was awesome. I tried to look at last years thread and guess the movement for OOS, but it wasn't very helpful.

Just got my letter...I am on the alternate list in the mid-40's OOS. Seems like a long shot, but I am keeping my fingers crossed! Iowa was awesome. I tried to look at last years thread and guess the movement for OOS, but it wasn't very helpful.

I would definitely not give up, two years ago:
Out-state admissions data
2635 applied, 419 interviewed, 176 were accepted, 49 enrolled

I don't know if Iowa over accepts (I don't think they do) but this implies roughly over a 100 people accepted from waitlist if they don't.

Can anyone confirm that they don't over-accept OOSer's? I was under the impression that they do.

Iowa does over accept OOSers. Two years ago they in fact did clear the waitlist at 105 and the year before that. Meaning essentially everyone on the waitlist was offered a spot.
Do be patient with the waitlist because it will not move until all the folks over accepted to the school choose to move on.

Hey does anyone know how the wait list has moved over the last couple of years?

Also, does anyone know how fast it moves?

I am mid-teens and I am really hoping I get the call sooner than later... I don't really want to find out a week before class starts...

OOS Alternate letter received today, and the letter was dated March 10. Now I guess it's time to be patient... :xf:

Hey does anyone know how the wait list has moved over the last couple of years?

Also, does anyone know how fast it moves?

I am mid-teens and I am really hoping I get the call sooner than later... I don't really want to find out a week before class starts...

You should be fine I think. It appears the last several years have ranged from 17 (only once) to low/mid 30s, with upper 20s ~avg for the instate list. Goodluck.

Any idea when the waitlist will start moving? Has anyone been accepted already off the waitlist? I am on the OOS list mid twenties so I am crossing my fingers.

Any idea when the waitlist will start moving? Has anyone been accepted already off the waitlist? I am on the OOS list mid twenties so I am crossing my fingers.

You could try calling the number they gave us in the letter. Im not sure if the waitlist has been finalized yet though. In the letter, they gave us a date that we had to notify them by to stay on it and I dont remember what that date was. If it has passed, I imagine they would tell you if youve moved at all.

Thanks Poiu.
Maybe they'll send an email update on Thursday the 26th then. Or they can expect a call from me....

AHHHH! I completely forgot to email to confirm!!! Does anyone have the email address? My letter is at home and I am at work!

The e-mail address is [email protected]. You should receive a confirmation e-mail shortly after informing them of your intention to remain on the waiting list. Good luck!

The e-mail address is [email protected]. You should receive a confirmation e-mail shortly after informing them of your intention to remain on the waiting list. Good luck!

Thank you!

Btw I called the admissions office a couple minutes ago and the lady on the phone said that they will know tomorrow the status of the waitlist. She kind of implied that everyone would get an email update tomorrow, but don't hate me if that isn't the case!

Thank you!

Btw I called the admissions office a couple minutes ago and the lady on the phone said that they will know tomorrow the status of the waitlist. She kind of implied that everyone would get an email update tomorrow, but don't hate me if that isn't the case!
Anyone get an update today or did anyone call?

Anyone get an update today or did anyone call?

well seeing as today is the deadline, I don't think they will have an updated list until tomorrow. And seeing as tomorrow is my birthday, I am hoping for some really good news!! :laugh: :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.