2008-2009 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend didn't hear anything either. Unless all three of you got waitlisted, which we'll find out in a couple hours, seems likely that the committee will continue to discuss you guys at later meetings, like I thought.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

Just got an e-mail saying that I've been placed on the alternate list... sigh

I wonder if anyone got any offers last night...

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Haven't heard anything since being put on the alternate list.

Please post if u r withdrawing your offer from MSU. It'll make the rest of us alternates feel a lot better knowing we have some hope!

Thanks!

Has anyone attempted to call the office to inquire about the status of the alternate list (such as the size, ranking, etc.)?

I do know that the waitlist is unranked. From their website:

"If you are placed on the Alternate list, your file will remain under consideration for acceptance until we notify you of a change in your status. Alternates may add additional information (i.e., additional grades, new clinical, volunteer, and/or research experiences, additional letters of evaluation, letter of continued interest) to their file at any time. Alternate files are not ranked and are reviewed whenever the number of accepted applicants falls below the entering class size. The number of applicants accepted from the Alternate list varies each year. Alternates have been admitted into CHM as late as a few days before the start of Prematriculation and Orientation Week."

Nope. Haven't heard anything since being put on the alternate list.

Please post if u r withdrawing your offer from MSU. It'll make the rest of us alternates feel a lot better knowing we have some hope!

Thanks!

I withdrew last week. Best of luck, everyone! :luck:

What is the significance of May 15th?

it's when people with multiple acceptances have to have their one choice made and withdraw other acceptances, and therefore the point after which the waitlist starts to move

btw, this probably won't help anyone, but I withdrew from the waitlist a while ago - stupid decision cuz of how much more I'd be spending at UIC, but then again I'm applying md/phd...so, one less waitlist spot to compete with :)

Any more withdrawals? U guys got one more day to decide!

Is it me, or does it seem that there is very little movement on the alternate list, at least compared to last year? Somebody, please post that you are withdrawing from MSU! Or just lie to me! It'll make me feel a lot better. If anyone needs a reason to withdraw their MSU offer, please PM me, and I will gladly help you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the admissions committee to review the wait list is still meeting on Tuesday nights- so we wouldn't know anyway until after Tuesday?

Does anyone know if the admissions committee to review the wait list is still meeting on Tuesday nights- so we wouldn't know anyway until after Tuesday?
I was looking through threads from previous years, and it appears that they give out offers from the alternate list on 'random' days. I saw that some offers were given out on a Thursday, and some on a Monday. This is assuming that they were actually meeting on Tuesdays in the previous two years.

This wait is killing me, and I guess we will find out when we find out. Hopefully that's not too long!

shwaycool thanks for your post. You brightened up my day!

I'm in! See you all in the Fall. Accepted from the waitlist ~5pm today. Good luck to you all.

Perhaps more movement coming?? A friend received an email wanting to know if she wanted to remain on the waitlist. Anyone else receive the same?

Yep, got the same thing a few days ago.

Yeah, I got the same email... I talked to a MSU CHM student who is just finishing up his first year and he said that he knows people in his class who didn't get off the alternate list until a week before orientation.

hey! I know someone who is withdrawing today from our class. Hope someone gets the spot! Good luck!

Just got the call an hour ago! Off the waitlist!! Woohoo!

any idea why its so quiet around here???

I've been wondering the same thing... I was just thinking about how I started the application process an entire year ago. I'm hoping the wait will be over soon!

anyone know if they are still making decisions or things are still moving?

Just got a call around 10am saying I had been accepted off of the waitlist.... now I have to make a big decision but I will keep everyone posted!

:) :) :)

Just wondering how many people on this thread are still waiting on the alternate list? And whether you are OOS?

Thanks to all the people who kept the rest of us informed of their offer from the waitlist.

I'm still on the alternate list and I'm oos

Last edited:
Thanks to all the people who kept the rest of us informed of their offer from the waitlist.

I'm still on the alternate list.

Yes, this is greatly appreciated. I'm still on the alternate list as well and am out of state. Hoping for that call any day.

I was out of state too if that gives some hope!! :)

Good luck all :thumbup:

Got the call this morning! Amazing!

I'm still on the waitlist and I'm in state.

After a lot of deliberation, I decided to withdraw from MSU today. Good luck to those who are still waitlisted and I hope you get my spot! :thumbup:

Thanks 4 the post CountryFairGirl. and for withdrawing :). Good luck to everyone!

hey, are any of you who are accepted waiting to see where your campus placement will be before you make your decision?

hey, are any of you who are accepted waiting to see where your campus placement will be before you make your decision?

Yea, I got placed in Grand Rapids which was actually one of my choices, however if I get off the waitlist at Wayne, I may be withdrawing...where are you deciding between this late in the game?

I was, but I got my top choice (Grand Rapids) so I will be matriculating in fall. Sorry though, probably not the news you wanted to hear. Im sure theres going to be some more movement later though, best of luck to you!

Hey guys

I got an offer from MSU CHM this morning. I got the e-mail at 11am ET and the call about a half hour later. This forum has been really helpful for me during the process and I am grateful for all your support. If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Good luck to you all, and hope that future offers go to sdners!

I was assigned to Kalamazoo but would love to go to Grand Rapids...so if anyone wants to switch please let me know!

Hey everyone!

I got the phonecall on June 24th! I was designated as an alternate in March, and hadn't heard anything until then. I'm super excited. I also got excepted into the LMUV program. I'm excited to meet you all in the fall.

So does everyone accepted to CHM for fall 2009 spend their first two years in Lansing and then it's different campuses from there?

Hey everyone!

I got the phonecall on June 24th! I was designated as an alternate in March, and hadn't heard anything until then. I'm super excited. I also got excepted into the LMUV program. I'm excited to meet you all in the fall.

So does everyone accepted to CHM for fall 2009 spend their first two years in Lansing and then it's different campuses from there?

Congrats! As far as campus placement, I was told I would be doing one year in Lansing and the next 3 in Grand Rapids. The brand new medical school (secchia center) is opening in Grand Rapids fall 2010, so I would assume that on top of the incoming class that will start in Grand Rapids, a good portion of our class will also be assigned to the new medical building next year.

You're both right.

Because of the expansion to Grand Rapids, 50 people in your class will spend their first year in East Lansing and the next three in Grand Rapids. The other 100 people will spend two years in East Lansing and then go to their community campuses (Saginaw, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Marquette, Flint).

For the incoming class of 2010 it will be different - 100 in Grand Rapids and 100 in East Lansing right away for first year.

Woke up this morning to find an email sent at 8:52 am est stating I had been accepted!!!! I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself. Best of the luck to the rest of the SDNers still waiting to here, your time will come soon. I had all but given up, so for the rest of you, don't give up

congrats! Will you be matriculating then? If so, see you in august!

Got the call this morning. I can't believe it. I'm in total shock... Guess I'll see you all soon!!!

I just got the call and was accepted for the fall- I think this might be the world's best belated birthday present ever!

I just got the call and was accepted for the fall- I think this might be the world's best belated birthday present ever!

Congrats!! That's pretty funny, my call was a 4 day belated birthday present also. I would quite agree that there couldn't have been any better present. See you in August!

Status
Not open for further replies.