What Color suit for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pdazzle11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know appearance doesn't have a huge effect on interview outcome but as a neurotic premed I am going to take every advantage I can get. Anyone got any recommendations for what color suit to wear for interviews? Also I am of a slim muscular build and around 5'9. Any recommendations for where to get a suit that fits me?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn’t matter, probably 90 percent were black with a few gray or blue thrown in

Reactions: 1 user
I know appearance doesn't have a huge effect on interview outcome but as a neurotic premed I am going to take every advantage I can get. Anyone got any recommendations for what color suit to wear for interviews? Also I am of a slim muscular build and around 5'9. Any recommendations for where to get a suit that fits me?
Just don't not dress up. I bought a nice shirt, slacks and a matching separate jacket.

Members don't see this ad :)
A suit is an investment. Do it right the first time and make sure you get your suit fitted by a tailor. You can't go wrong with blue or gray. Those are highly versatile colors that function in nearly every occasion. Black is too formal and should be reserved for weddings, funerals or secret agents/butlers. As far as interview itself goes, don't wear a tie with distracting patterns.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I agree.

As a proclaimed fashion guru, stick with navy/grey/charcoal. Black is for funerals, weddings or night events, this actually has to do with the poor color a black suit conveys in natural sunlight.

Getting it tailored is also key, do not be caught looking like you’re a 14 yr old in your dad's suit.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a well-tailored navy suit and quality white shirt

Reactions: 1 users
I vote bright red.
Will catch the attention of everyone in the room!

But really, grey, black, or navy.

I would suggest a navy blue suit (tailored to fit, and not TOO blue, should be subtle), white dress shirt, and a blue tie.

Why? The color blue is generally known to elicit the feeling of trust and comfort. I don't suggest wearing red as it symbolizes power and overbearing personality. Don't wear funeral black either.