UT Southwestern Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has this been a topic of discussion at UTSW? Just wishful thinking or has there been talks of cutting this?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
that will never never never happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Has this been a topic of discussion at UTSW? Just wishful thinking or has there been talks of cutting this?
Wishful thinking??? For some, maybe. Personally, I have learned much more on call nights than on days interrupted by having to run off to a million different conferences, etc. Call is important. You can get book smart during the day; you learn how to run the show at night. And I do know that, at least on surgery, everybody does Q3 for Trauma/EGS, but on the second half of the rotation, where you can go to a bunch of different sites, they're not allowed to make the students take call anymore this year. Some will make the choice to because they care, though.

This is a plagiarism post... it was posted by Riverie on the Baylor class thread and I haven't seen anything similar on the UTSW thread, so I thought I would steal it... nevermind some of it refers to specific curriculum blocks.

"
An old orientation guide passed down the ages.
TIPS FOR STUDY GUIDES
-Try to summarize lectures on a page or less. They really only test the big concepts b/c there is so much material.
- Make your notes each day after lecture, but don't copy them straight out of the syllabus, a summary of each lesson with all the main points in your own words ensures you understood the concepts
- Find old tests, sometimes put on reserve in ERC by Block
- Make your study guides as the block progresses. Making a chart/notecards/etc the night before the exam will not be as helpful as one made over the 6 weeks
- If you decide to study with a person/group, make sure you actually do some work!
- Study the same way that you did in college. It obviously worked
- Use the study guide from the syllabus more than the required reading

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS (sorry lost the bolding on this part. maybe someone can help add them in?? this guide will also be in the intranet once baylor gives you a baylor account ID.
Here is a list of books that the Class of 2008 used. The ones in BOLD were owned by most everyone in the class. The other books are included for those who benefit from using books and are not essential.
Block 1: Junqeira, USMLE first aid, USMLE step 1 guide (some students say that a few questions came directly from here), Langmann’s Embryology (good pics), Bates for PPS
Anatomy: New Harveys (updated from syllabus given in class), Netter’s for anatomy (better diagrams/charts), Rohen’s gives labeled pictures of cadavers (pretty much everyone owns either Netter’s or Rohens or both), BRS anatomy for sample questions, Ackland videos available in ERC are very helpful
Blocks 2-3: BRS physiology
Block 4: Cellular and Molecular Immunology
Block 5-6: Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simply
-Use other libraries. Many have books that you can check out rather than buying the textbooks, using them for one block and never looking at them again.
-Buy books ahead of time online to save money
"

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: Thanks, olivetree. That was a worthy read. . .

Does anyone have any info on when to take electives. When do people usually take electives (3/4th year)? I cant see myself taking any during 1st year since it'll be stressful enough to get adjusted, but do people do this?

I'm sure I can find this out on MS0 day, but just wanted to put the question out there. . .

:thumbup: Thanks, olivetree. That was a worthy read. . .

Does anyone have any info on when to take electives. When do people usually take electives (3/4th year)? I cant see myself taking any during 1st year since it'll be stressful enough to get adjusted, but do people do this?

I'm sure I can find this out on MS0 day, but just wanted to put the question out there. . .
You mean the year 1/2 electives (Like Medical Economics, etc?) Those are pass/fail, so I think you can pretty much take them whenever they are offered (during MS1/2.) When I interviewed at UTSW, my tour guide said there as limited space available for them?

Yes, stuff like medical spanish and etc.

I didn't know they were p/f. That should make it easier.

I've gotten into every elective (3) that I've wanted. Actually gone is another story... It's more like credit/no credit. If you don't show up you're not going to get an F on your transcript. They're usually right after class ends at like 4 or so.

Personally first semester I was still adjusting to the schedule and couldn't handle them. This semester I definitely feel I have time. Second year is definitely busier (ugh, is that really possible?!), but at that point one should be an expert at managing time. There's no time 3rd year and 4th year you'll have opportunities to be doing much, much cooler things.

I feel like generally most people can handle two activities... intramural sports and running a club... or dancing in the multicultural show and taking medical spanish. No one does anything unless they're really stoked about it because it's a waste and activities don't really matter for residency. There are a lot of people who don't participate in school stuff at all and would rather spend more time away from the school on their own interests.

I generally think electives are really useful as are the various free lunches put on by organizations or specialty groups (you can find one pretty much every day). They make the studying seem a whole lot more interesting, useful, and worthwhile.

This is a plagiarism post... it was posted by Riverie on the Baylor class thread and I haven't seen anything similar on the UTSW thread, so I thought I would steal it... nevermind some of it refers to specific curriculum blocks.

"
TIPS FOR STUDY GUIDES
-Try to summarize lectures on a page or less. They really only test the big concepts b/c there is so much material.
- Make your notes each day after lecture, but don't copy them straight out of the syllabus, a summary of each lesson with all the main points in your own words ensures you understood the concepts
- Make your study guides as the block progresses. Making a chart/notecards/etc the night before the exam will not be as helpful as one made over the 6 weeks
- If you decide to study with a person/group, make sure you actually do some work!

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS (sorry lost the bolding on this part. maybe someone can help add them in?? this guide will also be in the intranet once baylor gives you a baylor account ID.
Here is a list of books that the Class of 2008 used. The ones in BOLD were owned by most everyone in the class. The other books are included for those who benefit from using books and are not essential.
Block 1: Junqeira, USMLE first aid, USMLE step 1 guide (some students say that a few questions came directly from here), Langmann's Embryology (good pics), Bates for PPS
Anatomy: New Harveys (updated from syllabus given in class), Netter's for anatomy (better diagrams/charts), Rohen's gives labeled pictures of cadavers (pretty much everyone owns either Netter's or Rohens or both), BRS anatomy for sample questions, Ackland videos available in ERC are very helpful
Blocks 2-3: BRS physiology
Block 4: Cellular and Molecular Immunology
Block 5-6: Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simply
-Use other libraries. Many have books that you can check out rather than buying the textbooks, using them for one block and never looking at them again.
-Buy books ahead of time online to save money
"

Don't expect to study like you did in college. I can't believe that works at Baylor... 99.9% of the advice I got last year was the opposite and it has rung true. Don't even expect to take notes like you did in college. You take note on a syllabus not power points and most people prepare an hour before class for every hour in class.

Some things that are school specific:
We have a hard drive with some past tests and study guides made by current and previous classes. These are pretty useful.

I'd say like <5% of the class reads books for biochem, physio, embryology, or cell bio. More people read for anatomy and reading for genetics is required.

How you study is very class specific. You need to spend time in the lab for anatomy, do problems for genetics, and read the syllabus over and over and over for the other classes.

About half the class actual shows up to class. Most of those that stay at home listen to the lectures at home. It's pretty necessary to hear what the professor is going to emphasize whether you get it live or from home.

Always go to the reviews right before the test. They truly hand out answers esp in genetics and phys.

Don't expect to study like you did in college. I can't believe that works at Baylor... 99.9% of the advice I got last year was the opposite and it has rung true. Don't even expect to take notes like you did in college. You take note on a syllabus not power points and most people prepare an hour before class for every hour in class.

Some things that are school specific:
We have a hard drive with some past tests and study guides made by current and previous classes. These are pretty useful.

I'd say like <5% of the class reads books for biochem, physio, embryology, or cell bio. More people read for anatomy and reading for genetics is required.

How you study is very class specific. You need to spend time in the lab for anatomy, do problems for genetics, and read the syllabus over and over and over for the other classes.

About half the class actual shows up to class. Most of those that stay at home listen to the lectures at home. It's pretty necessary to hear what the professor is going to emphasize whether you get it live or from home.

Always go to the reviews right before the test. They truly hand out answers esp in genetics and phys.

Thanks for your input on this, sprinkibrio.

TIPS FOR STUDY GUIDES

IMO some of the above sounds a little OCD. I too disagree that whatever worked in college will work in med school - you can't get away with procrastinating until the night before an exam and expecting to pull off an A like in undergrad. You'd be lucky to even pass if you tried that at UTSW. But I'd also say you shouldn't overthink med school. There's no one way to do well. Group vs individual study, attending class vs not attending, studying at home vs library, etc... you find what works for you. Myself - I study individually (occasionally group), go to class 70% of the time, and study at home.

have a great MS0 for everyone going.

This thread seems strangely quiet especially seeing as how MS0 weekend was last weekend. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knew about the new building being constructed. It was during the MS0 program and they briefly briefly showed a slide about the construction of UTSW University Hospitals and Clinics? I can't seem to find info about it anywhere.

Was good to see some of you last weekend!

I was surprised as well. I just never posted because it had disappeared from page 1 and I was to lazy to check further back.

MS0 was pretty great for me too, as it helped confirm that UTSW is my top choice. It's facebook official for me now and I can't wait until August. Now I just have to figure out the whole housing situation out here on the West Coast.

Any current students care to offer an opinion? I would especially appreciate any insight into condos.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few areas of construction on campus right now. The biggest is the new tower being built at Children's Medical Center. Up at the medical school, they are putting up a new lab building (I think that's what it is). Then on North Campus they are just starting on the next tower up there--yet more research space.

There isn't any construction on the "University Hospitals and Clinics" going on right now, but they did just finish a new ambulatory surgery center behind St. Paul Hospital. At some point in the future, all of St. Paul is going to be torn down and replaced but probably not for a while.

I was surprised as well. I just never posted because it had disappeared from page 1 and I was to lazy to check further back.

MS0 was pretty great for me too, as it helped confirm that UTSW is my top choice. It's facebook official for me now and I can't wait until August. Now I just have to figure out the whole housing situation out here on the West Coast.

Any current students care to offer an opinion? I would especially appreciate any insight into condos.

Easiest way is just to live at Med Park. It's nothing fancy, but guarenteed to be safe, clean and new. As for condos, I'm not too sure where to look for those, might try the facebook group. Good luck.

I'm excited about attending UTSW. I really enjoyed the interview experience, and it sounds like students come out well prepared for residency, and of course, with very low debt.

I had a concern though: even though UTSW is a great med school, ranked highly on US News and all, it seems like it doesn't have that much of a reputation outside of Texas. (could also be because UTSW is not affiliated with an undergraduate school). When I tell people I know on the east and west coasts that I'm probably going to be at UTSW, many have no idea where that is, or that it is a good med school. Looking at the residency match lists, most people seem to stay in Texas.

I'm not sure if this is a result of
1. most people at UTSW are from Texas, and prefer to stay in Texas
2. or they have difficulty matching to residencies out of state

As my family is in California, it would be nice to increase my chances of doing residency there. Any thoughts? I'd love to be proved wrong.

Hi Pontefract,

I am going to have to guess that its number 1. I would imagine that, looking at the match list for a NY school, the large majority stay in NY because they were born and bred there and want to stay there. Texas has a very loyal population as well. From talking with current MS4s who did residency interviews and other doctors outside of Texas, UTSW has a reputation as a great school that will prepare you for residency after your clinical training during rotations.

I am out in California right now and I have to explain what and where UTSW is because no one has heard of it. The people I am speaking with, though, do not know much about medical schools and have never heard of it because its not tied to an undergrad campus. I wouldnt let that bother you though, becase, from my understanding, the people doing your interviews from residency are a little better informed and will know how competitive you will be for any residency.

Are there any MS4s who could back this up? A little more anecdotal evidence would be appreciated.

I just got my MS0 packet from my parents, and I'm pretty excited about UTSW now. I can see the benefits of going to a large state medical school since there seems to be an unbelievable amount of student organizations.

I'll be joining the running club for sure and maybe I'll be able to finally step up from a half marathon to a full. Probably not though :).

What kinds of things are y'all thinking about doing?

I just got my MS0 packet from my parents, and I'm pretty excited about UTSW now. I can see the benefits of going to a large state medical school since there seems to be an unbelievable amount of student organizations.

I'll be joining the running club for sure and maybe I'll be able to finally step up from a half marathon to a full. Probably not though :).

What kinds of things are y'all thinking about doing?

Hopefully I'll see you at the running club stuff. I ran my first full marathon last semester and would like to keep at it. (Doing a triathlon this semester.)

I'm excited about attending UTSW. I really enjoyed the interview experience, and it sounds like students come out well prepared for residency, and of course, with very low debt.

I had a concern though: even though UTSW is a great med school, ranked highly on US News and all, it seems like it doesn't have that much of a reputation outside of Texas. (could also be because UTSW is not affiliated with an undergraduate school). When I tell people I know on the east and west coasts that I'm probably going to be at UTSW, many have no idea where that is, or that it is a good med school. Looking at the residency match lists, most people seem to stay in Texas.

I'm not sure if this is a result of
1. most people at UTSW are from Texas, and prefer to stay in Texas
2. or they have difficulty matching to residencies out of state

As my family is in California, it would be nice to increase my chances of doing residency there. Any thoughts? I'd love to be proved wrong.

From what I know when my brother went to UTSW, even though it's not strictly affliated with any university, UT Austin and UTSW are pretty much joined at the hip (regional bias in Texas).

As for addressing other points:

1) Most people in Texas like cheap tuition. And what most people forget is that interest basically doubles the price of everything after you pay it back.
2) Most people that live in Texas like Texas, though maybe when you get to more competitive specialties, they will probably go out of state. It's the same with a lot of "top" schools as well. Again, it's that regional bias from students again + cheap cost of living here in Texas. As an example, a house here in Texas for $150,000 will be around $350,000 or so. Gas prices and energy costs are also a LOT higher. While you want to be trained in the best places ever, no one wants to be broke while doing it!

btw, in case you didn't know, regional bias is you go to a school that's located near where you grew up.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have seen some mention of housing.... and....

NEVER MIND... ROOMMATE FOUND

Hopefully I'll see you at the running club stuff. I ran my first full marathon last semester and would like to keep at it. (Doing a triathlon this semester.)

Triathlon? Hardcore.

A triathlon would be awesome. I'm going to run my first half marathon in June and am definitely looking to stay active and competitive in school. What distance triathlon are you going to do: sprint, middle, or ironman (I forgot the real names for the distances)?

Hey guys, I just got the call from Baylor today, which was a complete suprise. I am very torn however, between Baylor and UTSW, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I have an SO in Dallas, and I've lived in Houston before, so I might lean slightly towards Dallas in the location department. I have a bunch of friends at UTSW from college and high school. I vibe well with UTSW's research slant, since I enjoy research. However, Baylor does seem to be more laid back than UTSW, and, as much as I want to get away from it, it is ranked higher. I know this has probably been beaten to death, but what do you guys think? UTSW or Baylor?

It sounds like you have several good reasons to come to Dallas. If ranking is the only one pulling you to Baylor, then I would say come here. Yes, they're
"ranked" higher, but I don't think that coming from Baylor will get you any further in the residency game in a few years than coming from Southwestern. Keep in mind that some of the highest-ranked medical schools don't always turn out the best clinically-prepared graduates, and residencies know this. Not saying Baylor is one of those schools, but ranking isn't everything. Go where you'll be happy; you'll probably do better there and that will outweigh any perceived or real disadvantage from your school's ranking.

Monarch, I had the same concerns about 'competitive nature' etc....at UTSW and was worried that everyone would just be a bunch of ultracompetitive knobs, but I was blown away at MS0. I don't know about you, but I just found that everyone seemed a lot more normal than I expected. Let's face it, you're gonna have gunners any place you go, and Dallas is no different. But from the sounds of it, you're pretty laid back.....so PLEASE don't go elsewhere! The more folks like you the better!

PS Could anyone tell me how you've gone about contacting people for summer med student research? Is just shooting off an email best? Any words of advice on how to start for us incoming folk?

GO UTSW CLASS OF 2012! (AND UTSW DODGEBALL!)

Sorry one more thing: can any one share opinions on how important it is to do research that matches what you're going to apply to residency-wise? Like for me, I think I might like radiology, but wonder if the research I do will just be worthless (not in terms of the actual work I do, but in terms of residency) if I want to do something else later....

I'm sure there's no 'right' answer, but I'm curious to hear the thoughts of some current students...

Thanks y'all...

Sorry one more thing: can any one share opinions on how important it is to do research that matches what you're going to apply to residency-wise? Like for me, I think I might like radiology, but wonder if the research I do will just be worthless (not in terms of the actual work I do, but in terms of residency) if I want to do something else later....

I'm sure there's no 'right' answer, but I'm curious to hear the thoughts of some current students...

Thanks y'all...

I'm not a current student, but I'll give this a shot. From what I heard, any research experience will be favorable...you do not need to decide what specialty you want to do right now and plan 4 years of research around that (that's a little crazy anyway). The only benefit of doing the same research is your own ability to get projects done faster. Even if you decide not to do radiology, your research experience can only help, not hurt.

Thanks y'all...

It really depends on what you eventually go into. If you want to do something competitive (like rad), it seems to me that it's pretty much required to do research in that field. For example, good luck getting into Derm without having done some research in that field. If it comes down to the end of your first year and you don't feel like you absolutely know you want to do any 1 particular field, then I might suggest to you to do something broad. Research in something like Cardiovascular disease, diabetes, maybe cancer, etc. would apply to many different areas, and therefore be applicable to many different fields.

That said, I think quite a few people who end up going into derm, rad, plastic surgery, etc. know by the end of first year.

All that being said, some fields could care less about research.

Hey guys, I just got the call from Baylor today, which was a complete suprise. I am very torn however, between Baylor and UTSW, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I have an SO in Dallas, and I've lived in Houston before, so I might lean slightly towards Dallas in the location department. I have a bunch of friends at UTSW from college and high school. I vibe well with UTSW's research slant, since I enjoy research. However, Baylor does seem to be more laid back than UTSW, and, as much as I want to get away from it, it is ranked higher. I know this has probably been beaten to death, but what do you guys think? UTSW or Baylor?

Prestige-wise, Bayor and UTSW are equivalent. Also, I'm not sure where you got the impression that Baylor wasn't a research-slanted school (perhaps due to the fact that they de-emphasized it on interview day,) but Baylor receives WAY more research funding than even UTSW (I believe that Baylor receives more NIH funding than UTSW, UTMB, and UTSA, (the #2, #3, and #4 TX schools ranked in terms of NIH funding) COMBINED.)

Not that this is going to be of much help to you, but you are in an enviable position where NEITHER choice is a "bad" one. You should try to go to the school that "feels" better for you, but you probably can't make a bad decision here. Congratulations!

Prestige-wise, Bayor and UTSW are equivalent. Also, I'm not sure where you got the impression that Baylor wasn't a research-slanted school (perhaps due to the fact that they de-emphasized it on interview day,) but Baylor receives WAY more research funding than even UTSW (I believe that Baylor receives more NIH funding than UTSW, UTMB, and UTSA, (the #2, #3, and #4 TX schools ranked in terms of NIH funding) COMBINED.)

Not that this is going to be of much help to you, but you are in an enviable position where NEITHER choice is a "bad" one. You should try to go to the school that "feels" better for you, but you probably can't make a bad decision here. Congratulations!

Thanks for the feedback! I know Baylor is good on research, (I actually did a summer of research there) I guess it just felt that UTSW seemed like it had more avenues open for doing research there, and it did seem that UTSW has more notable faculty. I think my support base at Dallas might be better (more friends and of course SO), but Baylor just seems unrealistically chill.

My biggest beef is the tough love attitude that UTSW gives. I know it might drive me to do better at the end, but it's like comparing the stoic father figure that pushes you to achieve, to the soft mother figure that pampers you along.

On a separate note, in a week the 2009 rankings for med schools come out. Its like draft day for premeds lol.

On a separate separate note, does anyone have the 2008 match day results for Baylor or Southwestern?

Thanks for the feedback! I know Baylor is good on research, (I actually did a summer of research there) I guess it just felt that UTSW seemed like it had more avenues open for doing research there, and it did seem that UTSW has more notable faculty. I think my support base at Dallas might be better (more friends and of course SO), but Baylor just seems unrealistically chill.

My biggest beef is the tough love attitude that UTSW gives. I know it might drive me to do better at the end, but it's like comparing the stoic father figure that pushes you to achieve, to the soft mother figure that pampers you along.

On a separate note, in a week the 2009 rankings for med schools come out. Its like draft day for premeds lol.

On a separate separate note, does anyone have the 2008 match day results for Baylor or Southwestern?

Congrats on getting in Baylor! I would choose Baylor just because I like Houston better than Dallas (since my family lives in the same city and it would be really convenient for them to give me home cooked food each week :)).

Baylor definitely has some great opportunities in the Medical Center. I'm not sure how exactly to compare the two schools because I know very little about medical school in general.

Good luck on deciding.

If you want a chance to stay with your SO come here... the chance is so much less likely in Houston. And believe it or not social support might be a huge determinate of your happiness (I'm talking if you have family here, not so much the SO). Ranking, however, is always a draw (but the schools are more similar than UTSW or Baylor are to the other TX schools). I think your description of the father that pushes you to be independent vs the mother who spoils you a bit is pretty accurate! Haha!! Although the father definitely does give us as much support as we need to go off on our own (our college mentors are great, the administration makes a huge point to continually improve the courses, and we have an awesome gym).

Monarch, I had the same concerns about 'competitive nature' etc....at UTSW and was worried that everyone would just be a bunch of ultracompetitive knobs, but I was blown away at MS0. I don't know about you, but I just found that everyone seemed a lot more normal than I expected. Let's face it, you're gonna have gunners any place you go, and Dallas is no different. But from the sounds of it, you're pretty laid back.....so PLEASE don't go elsewhere! The more folks like you the better!

PS Could anyone tell me how you've gone about contacting people for summer med student research? Is just shooting off an email best? Any words of advice on how to start for us incoming folk?

GO UTSW CLASS OF 2012! (AND UTSW DODGEBALL!)

Email the people listed on last year's research contact list. Dr. McPhaul only puts people on this year's list if already have a student working with them. No words on how to start... it really was nothing like I expected. And about which field of research--they tell us it doesn't matter unless you plan to do derm or plastics or ortho. And even then if you didn't do it before 1st year or in between 1st and 2nd, you can do it fourth year during an elective (but before applications are due).

Hey guys, I just got the call from Baylor today, which was a complete suprise. I am very torn however, between Baylor and UTSW, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice...

Congratulations! Here's a link to a post I put up earlier about UTSW pros and cons -- I posted it long long ago.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5858158&postcount=27

Now, for your specific situation
1) is there a good chance that you will want to marry this SO? Does this SO have the character of the spouse you want to spend the next 60-70 years, the one you want helping to form the characters of your children? Do you feel old enough to make these decisions now (I wasn't at 22)? If so, come to Dallas.

2) Ranking doesn't matter. Explicit curves don't matter (there's always a curves, implicit or explicit!). I have found the "cutthroat competition" stereotype to be essentially untrue. Both places have great research opportunities.

3) 1.5 vs 2 years preclinical is the #1 biggest thing that differentiates the two schools. If you are a biology or biochemistry major, you will feel right at home with the memorize-and-regurgitate learning style of the preclinical years, and get a lot out of it. UTSW will be great. If you are a mathematics or hard science or engineering major, the chances are pretty good that you'll hate every minute of it, and want to go to where it's minimal. I have no idea about liberal arts majors. To go to UTSW over Baylor is to trade 4 months of clinical electives and/or research for 4 months of lecture hall rote-memorization and multiple-choice testing. Family life considerations aside (family will always trump career in your long-term emotional happiness) go where you'll be happiest and learn best.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations! Here's a link to a post I put up earlier about UTSW pros and cons -- I posted it long long ago.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5858158&postcount=27

Now, for your specific situation
1) is there a good chance that you will want to marry this SO? Does this SO have the character of the spouse you want to spend the next 60-70 years, the one you want helping to form the characters of your children? Do you feel old enough to make these decisions now (I wasn't at 22)? If so, come to Dallas.

2) Ranking doesn't matter. Explicit curves don't matter (there's always a curves, implicit or explicit!). I have found the "cutthroat competition" stereotype to be essentially untrue. Both places have great research opportunities.

3) 1.5 vs 2 years preclinical is the #1 biggest thing that differentiates the two schools. If you are a biology or biochemistry major, you will feel right at home with the memorize-and-regurgitate learning style of the preclinical years, and get a lot out of it. UTSW will be great. If you are a mathematics or hard science or engineering major, the chances are pretty good that you'll hate every minute of it, and want to go to where it's minimal. I have no idea about liberal arts majors. To go to UTSW over Baylor is to trade 4 months of clinical electives and/or research for 4 months of lecture hall rote-memorization and multiple-choice testing. Family life considerations aside (family will always trump career in your long-term emotional happiness) go where you'll be happiest and learn best.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input, pemberly.

Well, unfortunately, I am an engineering major so I guess med school in general will be ugly for me.

I guess I'll just have to do some more thinking.

Thanks for your input, pemberly.

Well, unfortunately, I am an engineering major so I guess med school in general will be ugly for me.

Good luck! :)

Anyways, I've been needing to get around to Dallas to get an apartment, and I found out that Cityville is nearly leased out. I hear the surrounding area is not so great, so I may just not go to Cityville. I think getting away from the school area will help me to relax a bit and not get too stressed out, but I'm afraid of ending up with a ridiculous commute time.

How screwed will I be if I wait till May to rent an apartment? I just don't see myself with enough free time this semester to go to Dallas before school is over...

I think I'm in the same situation you are - haven't really looked too much into apartments yet. Where is everyone planning on living? And aside from Medpark, what else is very close?

I think I'm in the same situation you are - haven't really looked too much into apartments yet. Where is everyone planning on living? And aside from Medpark, what else is very close?

Jefferson at the North End is where my brother used to live during med school. Commute is about 5-10 minutes. And as a showing of how much the price of rent has gone up, I remember my brother's rent being about $725 5 years ago and now it's $880. Oy.

And Houston isn't much better (for me). What is this world coming to?

Here's the website link and address. You should check it out: http://www.jeffersonatnorthend.com/

2323 N Field St
Dallas, TX 75201
(214) 999-0100

Thanks for your input, pemberley.

Don't let me stress you out! As Sol Rosenberg said, you've basically got no bad options here (just ones with some inevitable short-term unpleasantness). We knew pre-clinical years were going to suck when we applied for this gig. I'm still holding out hope that critical thinking will become relevant again in the clinical years.

The good news is that the first year surely has flown by. Astonishing that it's almost April already.

:luck: with your decision. Feel free to PM with questions/concerns.

Jefferson at the North End is where my brother used to live during med school. Commute is about 5-10 minutes. And as a showing of how much the price of rent has gone up, I remember my brother's rent being about $725 5 years ago and now it's $880. Oy.

Here's the website link and address. You should check it out: http://www.jeffersonatnorthend.com/

2323 N Field St
Dallas, TX 75201
(214) 999-0100

Thanks TheRealMD! Coming from a big city myself, I'm not too surprised about the cost. I was expecting to pay at least $700 anyhow haha. But do the spots for Jefferson fill up quickly? I figure since it's so close to the school and looks pretty nice, it probably will.

Thanks TheRealMD! Coming from a big city myself, I'm not too surprised about the cost. I was expecting to pay at least $700 anyhow haha. But do the spots for Jefferson fill up quickly? I figure since it's so close to the school and looks pretty nice, it probably will.

It's like right in the middle of everything. It was pretty cool to see the American Airlines Center being built right from my brother's window.

2323 N Field St
Dallas, TX 75201
(214) 999-0100

Jefferson at North End (don't confuse it with the other 'Jefferson' complexes in Dallas) is in a nice location, and if you rent through the affordable housing program (ask about it at every complex you visit!), it's significantly cheaper.

Thanks for your responses to my earlier question. Here's another one for you all.

Does anyone know how "family-friendly" UTSW is? Are there many students there with kids? Do you know how supportive/flexible the administration is for parents? Trying to think ahead...

I'm on a waitlist for Jefferson's 2 BR affordable housing. If anyone's looking for a roommate, give me a PM.

Thanks for your responses to my earlier question. Here's another one for you all.

Does anyone know how "family-friendly" UTSW is? Are there many students there with kids? Do you know how supportive/flexible the administration is for parents? Trying to think ahead...

From what I hear the administration is very accommodating to med students. I've heard a couple of med students having kids during medical school and the admin will try to help out with juggling classes or whatnot.

On another note, I recently got a hold of UTSW's match list for 2008 and it's quite juicy. Students did particularly well in peds and IM, bunch of people matched into Wash U, Harvard affiliates, and UCSF as well as a good number going to Texas Children's for peds. 13 matches into radiology, 8 into ophtho, 5 into ortho, 5 into neurosurgery, and 4 into derm (if you're into those specialties).

Check it out:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6459033&postcount=157

From what I hear the administration is very accommodating to med students. I've heard a couple of med students having kids during medical school and the admin will try to help out with juggling classes or whatnot.

Thanks! Good to know.

We don't have to pay a deposit or anything yet, do we? I'm getting a bit anxious since things have been pretty quiet from UTSW.