UT Southwestern Class of 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennynwan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!! For those committed to UT Southwestern for the Class of 2014 :D post any comments, questions, advice!

Anyone going to MS0 in Feb?

Members don't see this ad.

I am! so excited. and i'm happy we finally have a class of 2014 page!

anyone else going?

Probably will go. Right now I'm looking and it is an awfully long time commitment (Thursday night to Saturday night), but that's just me still being lazy because I'm still on vacation :p

Members don't see this ad :)
also there is a FB group for the Class of 2014 :D. Would anyone happen to know the dress code for the MS0 days?

I am going to MS0 also, I think the dress code is business casual.

anybody know in which neighborhoods the current med students live?

anybody know in which neighborhoods the current med students live?

There'll be an MS-0 packet going out with information from current students about where they live and how they like it. Many live either in Medpark or Inwood-on-the-Park apartment complexes. (I've heard some students expressing very negative feelings toward the latter lately but don't know the details.) I'm guessing that there are a few other popular complexes in the area.

I, like the vanishingly few other non-trads, live a bit further out. There are two train lines that go to a stop (Medical Market Center) right outside the Parkland ER: the DART green line (www.dart.org but won't be finished until Dec 2010) and the TRE (www.trinityrailwayexpress.org) but most students live nearby and drive in.

Just wanted to say hello to the class! I hope the rest of us will start using this thread pretty soon. Congrats to you all! I'm excited about starting in August...in the meanwhile, let's enjoy this time off :)

There'll be an MS-0 packet going out with information from current students about where they live and how they like it. Many live either in Medpark or Inwood-on-the-Park apartment complexes. (I've heard some students expressing very negative feelings toward the latter lately but don't know the details.) I'm guessing that there are a few other popular complexes in the area.

I, like the vanishingly few other non-trads, live a bit further out. There are two train lines that go to a stop (Medical Market Center) right outside the Parkland ER: the DART green line (www.dart.org but won't be finished until Dec 2010) and the TRE (www.trinityrailwayexpress.org) but most students live nearby and drive in.

this is pretty accurate. inwood on the park is a mixed bag, it seems. other places that are common for UTSW students include cityville, 5225 maple, and alexan southwestern.

thanks for your replies Pemberly and fastrandstrongr!! I was also thinking about buying a place and then selling it after I finish med school. Where do people stay if they are living in their own place?

thanks for your replies Pemberly and fastrandstrongr!! I was also thinking about buying a place and then selling it after I finish med school. Where do people stay if they are living in their own place?

dallas is a really diverse area. if you drive a few miles on one road you will run the gamut in terms of SES. that being said, many students find the uptown area to their liking. it is, however, a touch expensive so lots of students compromise by buying condos in oak lawn. some other trendy neighborhoods include m-streets/lower greenville, west end and bishop arts among others. students also live in irving, but irving is quieter and seemingly more family-oriented.

if you have any other q's about living in/around dallas or utsw in general, i'd be happy to oblige :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the help! I think I'll go ahead and spend my first year at Medpark, then slowly gravitate away from the area lol

To the second years, how would you say your transition into Southwestern your 1st year was? How is the 2nd year systems-based curriculum going so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
dallas is a really diverse area. if you drive a few miles on one road you will run the gamut in terms of SES. that being said, many students find the uptown area to their liking. it is, however, a touch expensive so lots of students compromise by buying condos in oak lawn. some other trendy neighborhoods include m-streets/lower greenville, west end and bishop arts among others. students also live in irving, but irving is quieter and seemingly more family-oriented.

if you have any other q's about living in/around dallas or utsw in general, i'd be happy to oblige :)

Thanks again!!

I am selling my nearly BRAND NEW 3/3.5 Townhouse condo by David Weekley.... walkable to campus, shuttle access....mainly students and young docs live here. There are 20 homes in the community--mine is the only one for sale (they are brand new). Anyway...see the link for more info:
http://newcondonew.vflyer.com/home/flyer/home/2935473

PM, email, or call if you want more info or would like to come check it out!
-Rachel

Last edited:
Welcome to UT Southwestern! I'm a third year here, let me know if you have questions. The old "class of" boards are really useful and if you haven't already, you will be receiving a *made for students by students* guide to the school which has lots of info on all four years.

Is anyone still deciding? (I'm not sure where you guys are in the application process.) Love to help with that, although, I can't imagine why anyone would be going back and forth when it comes to UTSW (cheap, good reputation, great preparation? I mean really ;))

Q#1: Lots of students live around the school... Alexan, MedPark, Inwood on the Park, 5225 Maple, and Cityville are very popular. There are also a few apartments north on Inwood. Down Cedar Springs are many, many condos for sale at reasonable prices. Several students I know chose a building called The Renaissance in particular. Many students rent or own in the Uptown area. There are too many apartments there to name, and over a wide range of prices. I would recommend driving around the area and seeing where your priorities lay (blocks from the school, safety, neighborhood, price, proximity to fun stuff, etc). There are quite a few students who live much further away or even in Fort Worth. Keep in mind that although the apartments around the school are in walking distance, I have never heard of girls walking to school (danger).

Q#2: Transition to first year is probably the most difficult part of school for many people, socially, emotionally, as well as academically. For many, the adjustment is the work load and the shock of not doing as well as you had in college. For others, this may be the first time they've lived alone without an automatic friendship net of roomates. Compounded with the fact that time is sparse, it may be harder to make friends. Others may be adjusting to Texas culture or living in a city where they don't know anyone. Many are newly single... starting graduate school in a new city tends to do that. Lastly, others are used to many extracurricular activities, hobbies, free time, etc. Sometimes without all those things it feels like your personality is disappearing. It all goes up, though! Even the hardest times MS2 and MS3 were doable because by that time you have good friends and good coping skills to draw upon.

Last edited:
Has anyone received any info regarding MS0 day since we got the link for the RSVP? I know we have an itinerary, but it doesn't actually tell us where to be, where to park, etc.

The deadline for RSVP was yesterday so maybe we will get stuff this week, I just want to make sure I haven't missed anything. I am excited to meet everyone and find out more about the school! :-D

Has anyone received any info regarding MS0 day since we got the link for the RSVP? I know we have an itinerary, but it doesn't actually tell us where to be, where to park, etc.

The deadline for RSVP was yesterday so maybe we will get stuff this week, I just want to make sure I haven't missed anything. I am excited to meet everyone and find out more about the school! :-D

I got an email with more information yesterday. I figured you posted this before that but just to let you know.

Is Oak Lawn a safe/decent area to live?

i realize they will send us everything discussed, but it'd be nice if someone could update those of us who weren't able to make it about what went on at MS0

Is Oak Lawn a safe/decent area to live?

it ranges from really good and really safe to less good and not so safe. if you're interested in particular streets/blocks then PM me and i'll be happy to help. if you have a chance to come down and visit, you'll know immediately which parts of oak lawn proper are less desirable.

the wiki might be helpful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Lawn,_Dallas,_Texas

also, uptown is the really posh part of oak lawn. turtle creek too.

Does anybody have an idea of where they want to live after seeing some areas last weekend?

I drove around with my family a bit (they live in Dallas) instead of going on the bus tour and really like Uptown/West Village. I didn't actually get to look at the apartment, but Gables at Turtle Creek seem like just what I am looking for.

http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/community.aspx?Region=33&CommunityId=4

They are right across from West Village Shopping Center, and are fairly close to the school. They have apartments that open to the outside (but are within a gated community) which is perfect for me since I have a pup that needs to go out a lot. I will go back again and look at more apartments before I sign a lease, but I think right around that area is what I am looking for.

I am planning on living alone, but I just wanted to see what other people are thinking about housing. Anyone else want to share?

Does anybody have an idea of where they want to live after seeing some areas last weekend?

I drove around with my family a bit (they live in Dallas) instead of going on the bus tour and really like Uptown/West Village. I didn't actually get to look at the apartment, but Gables at Turtle Creek seem like just what I am looking for.

http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/community.aspx?Region=33&CommunityId=4

They are right across from West Village Shopping Center, and are fairly close to the school. They have apartments that open to the outside (but are within a gated community) which is perfect for me since I have a pup that needs to go out a lot. I will go back again and look at more apartments before I sign a lease, but I think right around that area is what I am looking for.

I am planning on living alone, but I just wanted to see what other people are thinking about housing. Anyone else want to share?

Seems decent, and rents aren't that bad for Uptown/Turtle creek. Might look into it, I like the A3 floorplan.

Personally, I'm looking in Uptown, M streets and downtown mostly.

I'm also entertaining the idea of buying a place outside of Dallas and commuting but I'm thinking that's not too likely at the moment.

Seems decent, and rents aren't that bad for Uptown/Turtle creek. Might look into it, I like the A3 floorplan.

Personally, I'm looking in Uptown, M streets and downtown mostly.

I'm also entertaining the idea of buying a place outside of Dallas and commuting but I'm thinking that's not too likely at the moment.

I vote M streets, I love that area. Along that line I would also recommend Lakewood and the Henderson-Knox area. Lakewood is further away but may be worth a look.

Anyone know how much time students get off for Step 1? Thanks!

between 5-6 weeks. People typically take a few days off to vacation or rest before or after taking the USMLE.

You might be attracted to schools that allow you up to 2 months to prepare for it but believe me you *will* burn out if you study that intensely for so long. 5 weeks is more than enough time in my opinion.

good luck on deciding schools.

between 5-6 weeks. People typically take a few days off to vacation or rest before or after taking the USMLE.

You might be attracted to schools that allow you up to 2 months to prepare for it but believe me you *will* burn out if you study that intensely for so long. 5 weeks is more than enough time in my opinion.

good luck on deciding schools.

That was quick! Thanks!

Can any current students chime in on what sort of computer requirements there are? I have a macbook. Does that work for everything we will need/do I need to buy windows for it? Thanks!!

I have really sad news for y'all. :cry:

Your class attendance will be even lower than ours, since we just got video recording for the first year classes. :cool:

Nice. I would be jealous and resentful if I weren't in my very blissful MS4 year.

When are MS1s and MS2s usually done with class for the day? I know some schools end around noon, others seem to go until 4pm or so.

When are MS1s and MS2s usually done with class for the day? I know some schools end around noon, others seem to go until 4pm or so.

I cant speak for MS2s, but for the first semester MS1s are done at 5 MTuF, 2:30 W, and 12 on Th. For the first half of Second Semester, MTuThF is until 4 and W is still 2:30...

But this is if you go to class/ lab... the only "required" thing that you have to go to is Colleges which is on Wednesdays from 1-2:30. You can always go into lab whenever you want, and do lectures whenever you want, but that is not advisable IMHO.

Most of the time MS2 classes end by 3 (usually 4 hours a day -- 10-12 and 1-3) IF you go to class (and almost nobody does. We all just got a really snotty email from one of our course directors because only 10-15 people showed up the Thursday before Spring Break.)

I don't go to class, so these things don't concern me. However, the required things for MS2 year are colleges from 3 - 4:30 on Wednesdays, and once every 2-3 weeks or so there is CBL/PBL for Path. and/or Micro. that usually go from 2 - 4p. But, it really varies by day.

our facebook group has only 90 members so far, does it usually take this long to get a better feel for the class?

there is a free apartment locator Mindy Morse, that I'm using to find great deals, since the rates change weekly.

did anyone participate in SEP?

Question for any current students: Did any of you guys purchase computers (specifically Macs) through the UTSW computer store? I'm trying to see if there are any discounts or bundle deals I can get from buying through UTSW.

Thanks!

First off, congratulations on your acceptances! I bet you all are very excited.

I am a 3rd year over at UCLA who will be spending a year as a Doris Duke fellow at UTSW. That means I'm sort of in the same boat as you guys in terms of housing and everything. Unfortunately I'm not from the area and don't really have time to go there and check it out. I was hoping I could get in touch with an upperclassman or someone familiar with Dallas via email or PM to get some guidance.

I am sure that y'all would be interested in this...

Attachments

• UTSW Class of 2010 Match List.xls
    28.5 KB · Views: 452
Question for any current students: Did any of you guys purchase computers (specifically Macs) through the UTSW computer store? I'm trying to see if there are any discounts or bundle deals I can get from buying through UTSW.

Thanks!
I didn't, but here is their number/ email so you can try to get in contact with them.
Phone: 214-648-3615
Email: [email protected]

I didn't, but here is their number/ email so you can try to get in contact with them.
Phone: 214-648-3615
Email: [email protected]

I actually tried that last week...they were pretty unhelpful because each person kept saying they didn't know and transfered me about 3 times. Then I talked to one guy who said he'd e-mail me...but hasn't. I guess I'll try calling again.

Hey, I have a room available this May, June and July. It is within walking distance to UTSW. It is a huge two bed room townhouse, with your own bathroom, garage and nice kitchen and living room. If you are doing research for the summer at UTSW and looking for a place, PM me!

Hello, all! I'm wondering if there are any other non-trads for the 2014 class. I hope I'm not the only one. :)

Also, anyone here from San Antonio?

Hi y'all! Congratulations on your acceptance! I know this is a very exciting/confusing/maybe overwhelming time! Enjoy it and value it :) You'll miss it a lot about 5 months from now. Feel free to pm me with questions on anything, like housing, classes, shopping lists, having a pet, etc.

I live pretty close to school right now in one of the apartment complexes (not Med Park), and I like it a lot, though sometimes I wish I lived farther away just to get away more! But that probably won't be convenient come 3rd year and I hate moving every year, so I'm staying put.

Good luck as you get ready for everything!

I've been looking for this thread!

I'm still a bit confused about the grading scale for the first block. Is it truly non-graded, or just not graded for you to see, but graded in terms of class rank, AOA, GPA etc...?

CyclistOK said:
I've been looking for this thread!

I'm still a bit confused about the grading scale for the first block. Is it truly non-graded, or just not graded for you to see, but graded in terms of class rank, AOA, GPA etc...?

At MS0 weekend they swore up and down that it us truly pass/fail and that the registrar receives nothing but a P or an F for each class. You, however, do find out your grade for each exam so that you can see how you are performing and adjust your study habits accordingly. Hope that helps!

At MS0 weekend they swore up and down that it us truly pass/fail and that the registrar receives nothing but a P or an F for each class. You, however, do find out your grade for each exam so that you can see how you are performing and adjust your study habits accordingly. Hope that helps!

Yea that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank god biochem is in that block. I hate Biochem...

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah I've heard M streets has kind of a Portland, Oregon feel to it which I can totally wrap my head around.

I was in your shoes a year ago--I started medical school at UTSW last fall, and then decided an MD career wasn't for me...

My husband and I did lots of home searching--M streets, lakewood, uptown, walnut hill... Ultimately we decided to buy a brand new condo off Forest Park (walkable to campus, closer than student housing, more house/style/convenience for our $). It was the perfect decision for us! Also great for a single student looking to make a smart investment decision--rent out 2 rooms to friends and cover your mortgage!

I got a job in Fort Worth, so now we are moving....our loss is your gain!

Check it out: http://www.vflyer.com/home/home/flyer/2935473

Hello, all! I'm wondering if there are any other non-trads for the 2014 class. I hope I'm not the only one. :)

Also, anyone here from San Antonio?

Hey, MS1 here. Dont worry - I am a Non-Trad myself and there are more than enough non-trads in our class. I love our class composition, they do an excellent job of bringing in people from different backgrounds.

Hey guys, I'm a current MS1 (almost MS2!!) and I want to congratulate all of you on a job well done! You're going to love it here.

For those of you looking into housing, I'm currently living in a one-bedroom in the Alexan Southwestern http://www.alexansouthwestern.com/ and I really love it - everything was built last summer so it's basically brand new. It's a little pricier than cityville or some of the others close by, but you can get them to give you enough discounts to where it's really not that much more when you factor in the extra amenities. Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to PM me, and if you decide to live here, you can use my name and I'll split the $1000 referral bonus with you 60/40. Congrats again!