UT Southwestern Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We don't have to pay a deposit or anything yet, do we? I'm getting a bit anxious since things have been pretty quiet from UTSW.

No deposit. Just your soul.

Members don't see this ad.

So...the waitlist was suppose to be out "by the end of february" but I have not gotten anything (neither has anyone else I have spoken with). Anyone with insider information as to why it has taken so long and when we should expect it? It is getting kinda rediculous at this point.

So...the waitlist was suppose to be out "by the end of february" but I have not gotten anything (neither has anyone else I have spoken with). Anyone with insider information as to why it has taken so long and when we should expect it? It is getting kinda rediculous at this point.

They just started releasing financial aid info (got mine a few hours ago)... so there's should be some more movement soon. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I have called and e-mailed them several times as to when we can get an update, but they said that the list has not been ranked yet and the waitlist movement has been slower than the previous years....i had heard that it starts moving in April, but I don't know of anyone who has heard anything from UTSW since the match in Feb.....I really hope to hear something soon, it is my first choice and I really want to go to UTSW!!! Let me know if you find out anything...

Dr. Wagner will be visiting UT in like an hour. Any questions you guys want me to ask?

They sent an email saying it was available via the website. The email itself did not contain any FinAid info.

Yep. They sent me a link and then had the financial aid information viewable on the website. There's a 2 week window for people to respond i.e. accept, reject each loan, etc. offered.

The package I got was mostly loans with only about $4,000 in grants (and that had something to do with TX residency). But then they also said on the interviews that the smallest amount in grant is given to 1st years (so this number could change). They projected that the overall cost is supposed to be something like ~35K/yr.

Anyways, good luck :luck: to those still on the waitlist. I withdrew yesterday so there should definitely be an extra spot open now. :)

Yep. They sent me a link and then had the financial aid information viewable on the website. There's a 2 week window for people to respond i.e. accept, reject each loan, etc. offered.

The package I got was mostly loans with only about $4,000 in grants (and that had something to do with TX residency). But then they also said on the interviews that the smallest amount in grant is given to 1st years (so this number could change). They projected that the overall cost is supposed to be something like ~35K/yr.

Anyways, good luck :luck: to those still on the waitlist. I withdrew yesterday so there should definitely be an extra spot open now. :)

Looks like I can't play UTSW and Baylor against each other for more money. =/

Oh, and for those who have friends on the waitlist, there are 280 outstanding acceptances for 240 spots (straight from Dr. Wagner himself). It's gonna be a while for those people. It sucks when you've got good friends with amazing applications and they haven't gotten in ANYWHERE.

That's about what mine looks like. Wonder if anyone got anything signficantly different.

I'm a bit confused about the financial aid. I got the same $35k/year with the $4000 grant, but I was reading up a little on how I can actually use the loans. Can I use the loan to pay for my apartment/food and living in general? It says it covers "room and board", but I'm not sure how much "room and board" covers.

I totally don't know how this stuff works, but if I can use the entire $35k/year to support myself, that would make me happy since it would only require my parents to shell over maybe a few grand to support me.

I'm a bit confused about the financial aid. I got the same $35k/year with the $4000 grant, but I was reading up a little on how I can actually use the loans. Can I use the loan to pay for my apartment/food and living in general? It says it covers "room and board", but I'm not sure how much "room and board" covers.

I totally don't know how this stuff works, but if I can use the entire $35k/year to support myself, that would make me happy since it would only require my parents to shell over maybe a few grand to support me.

It's my understanding that the $35k covers tuition/fees and all living expenses. UTSW doesn't expect you to have another income source, so you have to live off what they give you. After accounting for tuition/fees, it works out to about $1900 a month - which is what they said at MS0 day.

Looks like I can't play UTSW and Baylor against each other for more money. =/

Oh, and for those who have friends on the waitlist, there are 280 outstanding acceptances for 240 spots (straight from Dr. Wagner himself). It's gonna be a while for those people. It sucks when you've got good friends with amazing applications and they haven't gotten in ANYWHERE.

does that mean that they accepted 40 extra people? or is that how many applications they liked? I am a bit confused....

Members don't see this ad :)
does that mean that they accepted 40 extra people? or is that how many applications they liked? I am a bit confused....

I think they extended 280 offers for 240 spots, so until people let go of their acceptances, they can't do anything.

They accepted extra people knowing that a few would withdraw, but it seems like they gave out too many too early.

It's my understanding that the $35k covers tuition/fees and all living expenses. UTSW doesn't expect you to have another income source, so you have to live off what they give you. After accounting for tuition/fees, it works out to about $1900 a month - which is what they said at MS0 day.

Same for me, along with some nice subsidized loans because I'm one poor student :smuggrin:

anyone get a different grant besides the 4k residence one?

Hey guys, thought I'd post after being a lurker for so long. I've been reading this post (and many others) regarding decisions between UTSW and Baylor, since that seems to be a popular conundrum for Texas residents. I thought I'd give some analysis that I came up with that made me choose to go to UTSW over Baylor (going to withdraw acceptance). Firstly, the notion that Baylor is the perpetually better school needs to stop. There are many pros and cons for each school and in the end, I think they both come out pretty much equal.

I had a concern though: even though UTSW is a great med school, ranked highly on US News and all, it seems like it doesn't have that much of a reputation outside of Texas.

Fret not! UTSW has a superb reputation outside of Texas. When your interviewers told you about Parkland being a great place to train, they were not kidding. It may not look like much, but Parkland is home to many many top clinical departments (IM, Surgery, Derm, Plastics, Neuro, Cardiology, etc). This is one of the biggest factors that led me to consider UTSW over Baylor. Parkland has a name for being one of the best places to train because of how much they will allow medical students to do. Baylor is home to some great hospitals and facilities, but their departments don't stack up or don't allow as much autonomy for students - making it a great place to work or get care, but not as much to learn and train. This is also the reason, I believe, that UTSW has an even better reputation than Baylor (outside of the Texas premed world that is).

People who like to tote around USNews rankings like to overlook the fact that UTSW has the best peer assessment/residency director rating in the state (4.1/4.1 this year, Baylor being 3.9/3.9 for many years now) and has been this way for at least 5-6 years. And this may not look like a big difference, but the rankings only go from 3.0 to 4.7, and Baylor is the lowest reputed school in the top 20 research ranked schools. I think Baylor takes some hits by pledging some of their rotations to a private hospital that doesn't allow med students to get as hands-on. Baylor is of course building their own hospital to try to counteract that, but it could be some time before the chaos of shifting over settles down (just my view).

And now the flip side: Baylor's atmosphere does tend to be a little more relaxed than UTSW. This is of course due to their curriculum, which I believe is a pro for Baylor and the same time a con for UTSW. There is a greater chance for Baylor students to become more rounded with less lecture time and less preclinical time. With the Baylor curriculum, you get to enrich yourself outside of the classroom more, and with the TMC right there, it's a great opportunity. Baylor kids also get more time to study for the USMLE's. This is one of the main reasons that Baylor is so highly regarded by premed students (the other being ranking). While Baylor's curriculum is progressive, I'd say that UTSW is taking steps to shift away from being a very traditional curriculum also. First they moved to an systems-based curriculum, and then they implemented the colleges system. I think UTSW recognizes the need for other forms of academic enrichment outside of the lecture hall.

And then beyond that is of course the discussion of location, but that is highly subjective. My opinion is that UTSW will offer equal if not better clinical training and residency opportunities to become a doctor (that's the whole point isn't it?), while Baylor will provide more well rounded students with a more relaxed lifestyle. In short, academically they are equal - you study harder at UTSW, but you will be better trained than almost anyone come residency time; conversely, you will have a more relaxing time at Baylor, but you won't get the same clinical experience, and you will be working to enrich yourself one way or another (research, volunteering, taking extra time to study for boards).

Everyone's received a financial aid package if they submitted their FAFSA before before the April 1st deadline. Contact the financial aid department -- specifically your advisor. They sent out an email back in Dec./January where everyone's financial aid advisor sent them an email.

Since you deferred a year, that might be why. We didn't have to do anything else other than submit the FAFSA and put UTSW as the designated school.

Also, does anyone know what UTSW's tuition/fees are? I can only find the information for the allied health school on their website, not the med school. And I've gotta add -- UTSW's website is so. . user unfriendly. You have to navigate through a million pages to get where you want. . grr. .

Also, does anyone know what UTSW's tuition/fees are? I can only find the information for the allied health school on their website, not the med school. And I've gotta add -- UTSW's website is so. . user unfriendly. You have to navigate through a million pages to get where you want. . grr. .

I couldn't find it either, but US World and News has last year's data at $12,500. Can't imagine it having gone up much more.

Anyone going to be in Dallas this summer? SEP, research, or otherwise?

Since you deferred a year, that might be why. We didn't have to do anything else other than submit the FAFSA and put UTSW as the designated school.

Thanks. Yeah, I was just trying to find out whether I needed to call/email them about this, or whether some were still being processed. I guess I'll have to see what's going on.....

The info's in this table: http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/stuaff/stuinfo/0203/tablea08.pdf

It's linked from their financial aid guide, which I thought was pretty helpful. http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/stuaff/stuinfo/0203/FAGuide_0506.htm

People who like to tote around USNews rankings like to overlook the fact that UTSW has the best peer assessment/residency director rating in the state (4.1/4.1 this year, Baylor being 3.9/3.9 for many years now) and has been this way for at least 5-6 years. And this may not look like a big difference, but the rankings only go from 3.0 to 4.7, and Baylor is the lowest reputed school in the top 20 research ranked schools. I think Baylor takes some hits by pledging some of their rotations to a private hospital that doesn't allow med students to get as hands-on. Baylor is of course building their own hospital to try to counteract that, but it could be some time before the chaos of shifting over settles down (just my view).

And then beyond that is of course the discussion of location, but that is highly subjective. My opinion is that UTSW will offer equal if not better clinical training and residency opportunities to become a doctor (that's the whole point isn't it?), while Baylor will provide more well rounded students with a more relaxed lifestyle. In short, academically they are equal - you study harder at UTSW, but you will be better trained than almost anyone come residency time; conversely, you will have a more relaxing time at Baylor, but you won't get the same clinical experience, and you will be working to enrich yourself one way or another (research, volunteering, taking extra time to study for boards).

Good points, Itistime. I'm getting psyched about starting in the fall!

Does anyone know how to apply for the Affordable Housing Program?

Thanks!

I know there is a PDF about that somewhere, or there was last year. Maybe this site will help you out:
http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/home/resources/medstud/index.html

It has links to everything I ever need to look at, but it's pretty hard to find so I have it favorited.

Question: what is SEP (summer enrichment program)? People keep talking about it on the facebook group. What's the aim of the program and why do people want to do it? Here's the website but I feel it says nothing:

http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept26446/files/324411.html

Call me crazy, but I want to spend my last month of freedom traveling --- not studying the med school curriculum. Am I missing out on something?:confused:

Question: what is SEP (summer enrichment program)? People keep talking about it on the facebook group. What's the aim of the program and why do people want to do it? Here's the website but I feel it says nothing:

Call me crazy, but I want to spend my last month of freedom traveling --- not studying the med school curriculum. Am I missing out on something?:confused:

It's my understanding that it's aimed at students who have been admitted but UTSW feels could do with an extra nudge in the right direction. Criteria for selection may include:

MCAT score of less than 30
MCAT verbal score less than 8
Cumulative GPA notably less than incoming class average
Family educational and/or socio-economic disadvantage
Four or more years since the completion of the last academic degree or significant body of coursework
English is a second language spoken in the home
Other indications of academic disadvantage, e.g., presence of a learning and/or medical disability.
Participation at the undergraduate level in the Joint Admissions Medical Program (JAMP).

I'm sure the reasons that people would want to do it vary.

I've heard bad things about it from everyone who has done it. Something like it works you hard enough to burn you out but not enough to actually make a difference in your grades. They generally invite all URMs in addition to the criteria someone gave above, but it's pretty much open to anyone who asks.

Last edited:
bump. i'm curious about the same thing.

frankly, at this point im excited to hear about anything having to do with school.

Can any current students help me with thez questions...

1. How many classes have small group teaching styles. I know the colleges do it but I want to know about the core classes like Biochem or physiology.

2. Do the classes teach through case based approach. I mean is there any Problem Based Learning components in the classes?

3. Can you please shed more light on the clinical medicine class that you take in the second year. Do you learn history taking and all that things in this class? Are the patients actors or 'real'?

4. How much patient contact do you get in your 1st two years.

thanks folks..:)

Not a student, but I have a bunch of MS1 friends so I can weigh in a little on this (real med students feel free to update/correct)

1. Core classes are not done in a small group format, however the material taught in the core classes are always discussed in small group format during colleges. That is, if you are learning about the pulmonary system, your colleges course might discuss cardiac cases or look at EKGs or something along those lines.

2. There is no PBL as far as I know.

3. Not sure about 2nd year, but 1st year students learn how to take histories on standardized patients (and real patients? I think I heard this from someone but I'm not 100% sure) during colleges.

4. Mostly through colleges and through volunteering at a student run clinic called 'Monday Clinics' where med students play a large role in taking care of patients.

1. How many classes have small group teaching styles. I know the colleges do it but I want to know about the core classes like Biochem or physiology.

The small group sessions we used to have in MS1 ethics and psychopathology have now been incorporated into the colleges system. My class missed out on that stuff, but we didn't have as much small group work in first year as we do in second year. In MS2 there's a lot of small group meetings (micro conferences, path case discussions, Clinical med case based learning sessions).

2. Do the classes teach through case based approach. I mean is there any Problem Based Learning components in the classes?

It's still pretty much lecture-based, though a couple times per block in MS2 you'll have case discussions in pathology or clinical medicine, and these are with classmates from your carrels.

3. Can you please shed more light on the clinical medicine class that you take in the second year. Do you learn history taking and all that things in this class? Are the patients actors or 'real'?

From what I understand, MS1s are learning history-taking and some physical exam skills, and they've practiced on real and standardized patients. In MS2 year you have weekly group meetings with an assigned resident who lets you do the entire history and physical on real patients on the wards at Parkland (or wherever the resident is assigned), and this is part of the clinical medicine course. Good practice for MS3 I reckon.

Patient contact? Plenty in MS2. In terms of actual patient care, none unless you volunteer at one of the various clinics in Dallas (Monday Clinic is pretty popular here).

Hey guys! As the school year is winding down I just want to make a comment about the tough grading scale or whatever to hopefully alleviate any fears.

It is MUCH better to make a 85 and be in the third quartile of your class than make a 92 and be in the third quartile. Letter grades don't matter for residency, quartile placement does and there is nothing worse than getting a high grade and still being below average!!! That's the norm at all the other schools (and for our Neuroscience class), but those those one or two questions that differentiate you are not a fun or possibly even accurate way to be differentiated!

Congrats on getting in and picking a good school, have a fun summer!

Colleges once/wk with six students. Twice we've gotten into carrel groups (like 50 of us) which includes the members in our normal college and mentor. We also choose one embryo related seminar with a faculty member (12 students). All the electives are in small groups. Of course anatomy is with three others, and cell bio lab is with your carrel.

We've had prob five classes based on cases in Physio, two in Neuro. It's NOT PBL where we have to go look up answers, but it's semi-participation based.

My year will be the first to see the new 2nd year system... from what I've heard our mentor replaces the role of the residents.

In colleges we've had two standardized patient interviews, one Parkland patient interview, and two Parkland psych patient interviews and writeups.

thanks everyone.. this will help a lot..

Well, I already posted this on the Facebook group, but who is going to be in Austin this summer? Most my friends aren't going to be here so I need people to meet/hang out with!

Do we need to send an official transcript directly to UTSW or is the one we sent to TMDSAS enough?

I feel like they might have said that we needed to at the 2nd Visit, but I would rather doublecheck before I waste the money.

Do we need to send an official transcript directly to UTSW or is the one we sent to TMDSAS enough?

I feel like they might have said that we needed to at the 2nd Visit, but I would rather doublecheck before I waste the money.
Not that I have heard (I think that was Baylor.)

While we are sort of on the subject, has anyone heard ANYTHING from UTSW since financial aid packages went out? I was kind of expecting info about when orientation/classes start, when we need to pay them, immunizations, insurance, and all that good stuff, but really haven't received anything.....

I havent heard any word either.

does anyone know what books we need and how much they cost and if we can buy them from MS1 students before us? do they change often or are they the same?

can't get any answers in pre-allo: does anyone know how the waitlist goes for out of staters? is there a separate out of state list? does anyone have any idea about waitlist movement, or should i just forget about UTSW at this late date?

I just got accepted yesterday at UTSW much to my surprise! I had completely given up hope at this point but now I plan to attend UTSW next year (I will be withdrawing from UTH).

I have just finished reading through the thread which took much too long and just wanted to say hi to everyone and say that I am really excited to join you guys next year. It is such an honor to be chosen to attend medical school, especially one so well regarded!

P.S. I will be in Austin most of the summer enjoying the best city on earth before we are separated. If anyone wants to hang out feel free to PM me.

P.S.S. I heard UTSW has an "increasing presence" in austin's medical scene. I have even been told that it is "kicking out" UTMB from austin. Is this true?

I just got accepted yesterday at UTSW much to my surprise! I had completely given up hope at this point but now I plan to attend UTSW next year (I will be withdrawing from UTH).

I have just finished reading through the thread which took much too long and just wanted to say hi to everyone and say that I am really excited to join you guys next year. It is such an honor to be chosen to attend medical school, especially one so well regarded!

P.S. I will be in Austin most of the summer enjoying the best city on earth before we are separated. If anyone wants to hang out feel free to PM me.

P.S.S. I heard UTSW has an "increasing presence" in austin's medical scene. I have even been told that it is "kicking out" UTMB from austin. Is this true?

See this recent story: http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/05/11/10/0510medschool.html

I'd say it's probably a good 6-10 years away before first enrollment. I'd be a little more worried about where those students would be doing their clinicals. The UTSW name doesn't mean quite as much if you aren't rotating through the awesomeness that is Parkland.

I was wondering if any of you guys are doing the SEP program this summer, i've heard mixed things about it but decided to give it a try. they just sent us the schedule and it looks like they're going to pack alot of stuff during that time, it really seems that this thing is starting

I'm doing the SEP also, on-campus.

Its looks like I'm going to need to purchase a copy of Netters Atlas of Human Anatomy. I was wondering if any current students know where I can get it cheap. Just it matter if I get an older edition, etc. Thanks

does anyone know what books we need and how much they cost and if we can buy them from MS1 students before us? do they change often or are they the same?

i'd really like to know this as well. . .