UT Southwestern Class of 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any good apartment recommendations in the Uptown area or nearby? I'm looking for an area that has lots of stuff to do within walking distance (and is pedestrian friendly).

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any good apartment recommendations in the Uptown area or nearby? I'm looking for an area that has lots of stuff to do within walking distance (and is pedestrian friendly).
Ditto!

This may seem like a bit of a weird question, but I'll be coming to school from out of town and I am planning on getting a new cell phone (probably a smart phone).

Does anyone know which carrier(s) get better reception in the area (for both making calls and internet)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW is now officially the #1 school in Texas, according to the new 2011 US News rankings:

1 - Harvard
2 - UPenn
3 - Hopkins
4 - California SF
4 - WUSTL
6 - Duke
6 - Michigan Ann Arbor
6 - Washington
6 - Yale
10 - Columbia
11 - Stanford
11 - UCLA
13 - Chicago
14 - Pittsburgh
15 - Vanderbilt
16 - Cornell
16 - UCSD
18 - Mount Sinai
18 - Northwestern
20 - Case Western
20 - Emory
20 - UNC Chapel Hill
20 - UTexas Southwestern Medical Center
24 - Baylor
25 - Virginia

Financial Aid just came in....:confused:

This may seem like a bit of a weird question, but I'll be coming to school from out of town and I am planning on getting a new cell phone (probably a smart phone).

Does anyone know which carrier(s) get better reception in the area (for both making calls and internet)?

Thanks

AT&T is headquartered in Dallas, so my guess is them. I have AT&T and I have no reception issues in the area. Plus, with AT&T you can get an iPhone, which has a ton of legit/useful medical apps for your 3rd and 4th year. I'm sure all the major carriers have good coverage in the area, though.

EDIT: Also, I've had no internet issues with AT&T's 3G network in the area.

I used my AT&T iphone3g at second look at it worked great everywhere I went in the area.

whats the best way to go about asking utsw for more scholarships/grants and less loans?

I don't have recommendations, but if you already don't know about it, check out walkscore.com to see how pedestrian friendly any address is.

My current walkscore = 98/100

By far the best place to live if you want something walkable with life is uptown. There are alot of buildings on McKinney. Some people live more in Victory at Jefferson at the North End and some in the Knox area but, uptown is great. Cedars Springs is known as the gayborhood. I lived in medpark for my first year and then moved uptown and loved it.

By far the best place to live if you want something walkable with life is uptown. There are alot of buildings on McKinney. Some people live more in Victory at Jefferson at the North End and some in the Knox area but, uptown is great. Cedars Springs is known as the gayborhood. I lived in medpark for my first year and then moved uptown and loved it.

Not that I know anything but M-streets/Greenville seems decently walkable and like there's a pretty active crowd. The fact that there are 2 places with Belgians on tap walkable from my new place (Libertine/Old Monk) is more exciting to me than starting school. ;)

whats the best way to go about asking utsw for more scholarships/grants and less loans?

Tell them that you are the child of Dr. Podolsky (President of UTSW), Dr. Seldin (one of the big names of UTSW), or Drs. Brown and Goldstein (If you don't know who they are by the end of your first day, your acceptance will be revoked)... but in these cases, you would not really need more fin aid.

UTSW sucks about giving more fin aid, because the school is already so cheap. I know that 14K is a lot for people to handle, especially when you did not have to pay a dime for undergrad/ got paid to go to undergrad, but you will have to grin and bear it. Just think 14k<40K which is what a lot of other people pay, and are glad to pay for schools that are ranked not even close to being as awesome as UTSW.

Yeah, 14K is a killer deal. Almost everyone is going to have take some form of loans. You'll be more than prepared as a physician to handle the amount you'll accrue at UTSW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just found out that I was accepted off the waiting list. Its already near the end of may, so I was wondering how far along the enrollment process have you guys gotten. Has Southwestern given you any information regarding laptops, when orientation/first day of classes begin, or given you access to school email yet???

Thanks

Hey Syndrome,

I personally haven't received any information regarding laptops, orientation or a school e-mail. I think most of that happens over the summer. I also haven't been asked to pay a deposit...which I find kind of strange.

Anyways, good luck with your decision!

Hey, I just found out that I was accepted off the waiting list. Its already near the end of may, so I was wondering how far along the enrollment process have you guys gotten. Has Southwestern given you any information regarding laptops, when orientation/first day of classes begin, or given you access to school email yet???

Thanks
Congrats!!

Orientation starts Aug14th (a Saturday) and its an overnight retreat type of deal. That Monday is another day of orientation and classes start Tuesday.

I think they said pretty much any computer is OK, macs and PCs (someone tell me if I am wrong!) What I don't know and would also like to find out is if we need to run windows on our macs to be able to watch the lectures. Is there anyone who knows?

We got info on the vaccines that we need by the first day of class--I'm sure you'll get that soon. Besides that, we haven't heard too much. We haven't received email addresses or anything like that. There is some info and questions posted on the fb group so it might help to check that out.

Are you coming for sure or still deciding?

i wish this class thread would be alive more regularly! lol. we're talking about the best med school in texas here.

in other news, our fb group i feel is filled with people from other classes auctioning off their apartments and what not. i feel like there are still a lot of people yet to be accepted! anyone else?

anywho...i'm ready for my utsw email address. lol.

congrats to all the new undergrad graduates!

Congrats!!

Orientation starts Aug14th (a Saturday) and its an overnight retreat type of deal. That Monday is another day of orientation and classes start Tuesday.

I think they said pretty much any computer is OK, macs and PCs (someone tell me if I am wrong!) What I don't know and would also like to find out is if we need to run windows on our macs to be able to watch the lectures. Is there anyone who knows?

We got info on the vaccines that we need by the first day of class--I'm sure you'll get that soon. Besides that, we haven't heard too much. We haven't received email addresses or anything like that. There is some info and questions posted on the fb group so it might help to check that out.

Are you coming for sure or still deciding?

Yeah, I will be attending Southwestern for sure. I currently live about 15 minutes away from Soutwestern (with no traffic on 35E) and am wondering if that might be just a bit too far to commute every morning. Anyone else going to be commuting 10+ miles to class?

Hey guys I was recently accepted off the wait-list, but I'm really worried :scared: about all the bad press Southwestern has gotten lately. First UTSW has to pay $3.6 million for racial discrimination against a middle easterner (I'm also middle eastern!!!). And now I just read an article in the Dallas Morning News with the following title: "Feds probe alleged fraud at UT Southwestern, Parkland"

You can see the article here: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...stories/053010dnproinvestigation.1a1ba92.html

What do you all think?? Should I be worried??

No. Neither of those things will remotely affect your experience as a med student. Honestly I'm rather skeptical about the Egyptian physician's claims about being discriminated against, as UTSW is an EXTREMELY diverse campus, where whites are only the plurality. It seems strange that they would single him out based on race given that there are tons of other Middle Eastern/North African physicians at the institution.

Hey i just started looking at apts myself and one that I checked out in the oak lawn/uptown area was Cityville Oak Park. Brand new apts and the location is pretty good-- 2 miles from school and 2-3 miles to the bars/clubs in uptown. Still need to check out places that are actually located walking distance to the bars/clubs-- I'd imagine they're gonna cost a fortune though. I also checked out the Cityville right by UTSW (btw, it's a different company operates this Cityville) and that place is abt 3 yrs old and very nice as well, but there's really nothing around there except a Jimmy John's, a Thai food place, and a bunch of construction. It is 0.7 miles away from school though. I'm personally leaning towards Oak Park at the moment since it's brand new and the price is not overwhelmingly expensive for a 1 bed/1 bath-- 800-900/month. Still have a bit to go on this search though-- too many choices in Dallas!

edit: sorry, just realized that your post is a couple months old so maybe you already have this all figured out!

Hey guys!

I called UTSW's IR department today and asked them if we need to run windows in order to view the lecture videos. The lady (who was super helpful!) told me that right now they use Microsoft Producer to stream the lectures, so currently Windows is a must. However, they are testing a different product to stream the lectures that does not require Windows. They do not know right now if this product will be used next year or not.

I have a mac and was wondering if I need to buy windows or not. The answer seems to be maybe, in case any of you other apple folks were wondering.

Looks like I have to guy buy parallels. Or I guess I could use Boot camp. Have you had any experience with these programs?

Pros? Cons?

Anyone staying at the Alexan or participating in the Summer Enrichment Program. Or both like me? :)

Hi Everyone,

I hope y'all are excited...August is dawning near!

I live at Cityville and have loved it, I'm planning to stay for the next few years. This is the Cityville on Medical District, closest to the school. If anyone is considering the place and has any qs, please let me know.

There's a referral bonus of $500. If you put me down I'll split it $300 to you/$200 to me. Its a nice chunk of money to come to you, I did this with a senior last year and it was very helpful to have that cash come in :). If you're interested just PM me.

Good luck and see y'all soon!

Hey guys--

Hope you are enjoying your summer before med school. Just wanted to clarify that Orientation starts on Friday, August 13. Also, there will be a BBQ (optional, but highly recommended) on Thursday, August 12. An email should be coming out soon with all the RSVP info!

If you have any questions, please PM me! I'm a rising 2nd year, and would love to answer any and all questions you have!

Welcome soon-to-be MS1s! Thought you might want to know that information about first year has been partially updated on web curriculum: http://medschool.swmed.edu/first.htm. There, you can also find exam dates, etc. It seems like they added an extra biochem exam this year.

Last edited:
Hey guys I am an entering MS1 for 2014 and I am in a dilemma about whether to get a Mac or PC for school. I'm sure many of you are in the same boat with me so I thought I would share this web address with you that gives a little info about the issue.

http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/stuaff//mdcomp/FAQ10c.pdf

See you guys soon.

is anyone on here getting their kits from AMSA or TMA? Also who all is staying at Medpark?

is anyone on here getting their kits from AMSA or TMA? Also who all is staying at Medpark?

Is there a difference? I just signed up for the one that they sent to our UTSW email address. But do u know if there's a difference in the two? *confused*

Is there a difference? I just signed up for the one that they sent to our UTSW email address. But do u know if there's a difference in the two? *confused*
They are different and they say you need them both. Here is what the AMSA guy sent out explaining the difference:

Just a quick clarification,
I had someone ask me how these kits are different from the ones being sold by TMA.
AMSA is taking orders for the actual tools you need for dissection. It contains blade handles, scissors, hemostat, probes etc...
TMA is selling anatomy packages which contains a clipboard, latex gloves, and extra blade sets which are also things you must have for the class.
Two different things. Both required for class.
Hope this helps!

Does anyone recall getting either a letter or an email a few weeks ago with some information regarding required reading that we should do before classes begin? It is probably just some premed review but dont know if im going crazy or what but I cant find this information anywhere. Does this sound at all familiar??

Nevermind. I found it on a link posted above. It was for biochemistry. Doubt many people will read it anyways considering its from a textbook that any of us will have till first week of classes if it all.

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted on this board. Congrats again for getting into the best med school in Texas!! I can't wait to meet some of you in colleges (4th years are now "peer mentors" for MS1s and MS2s on Wednesday for colleges).

MS1 feels ages away to me, and thank god for that, but I thought I'd try and impart some wisdom before y'all start classes:

1. Starting out is the hardest part of med school! It's a huge transistion no matter if you are straight out of college or coming from a "real" job.

2. You may feel like you are losing your hobbies/life. In fact, you are, and it only gets worse as you move up in the heirarchy. It's ok. You will eventually develop the time-management and coping skills to both be a great doctor and have a good life full of hobbies and a family if you desire. It is possible to be happy AND work 80 hr plus weeks.

3. It's all about attitude. Be positive and keep a smile on your face. Have a few people you can vent to--either family or friends.

4. There's a lot of stupid advice that circles around med school... like "you have to have friends out of med school to stay sane" or "you have to study in groups/alone/in the library/away from school" or "going to class is a waste of time/you must go to class." It's borne out of stress and passed down between classes as truth. Just ignore it all and speak with the closest happy 4th year who has a wider perspetive from having lived it all and having witnessed clinical medicine--real medicine.

5. Do the best you can, but try not to focus on grades. Come 4th year you will be happier if you have good grades--truth. But--the best way TO them is to put the time in studying. This precious time should not be used obsessively focusing on grades!

Luck!!! :luck::luck:

Does anyone recall getting either a letter or an email a few weeks ago with some information regarding required reading that we should do before classes begin? It is probably just some premed review but dont know if im going crazy or what but I cant find this information anywhere. Does this sound at all familiar??

Syndrome can you please share this link with us?

anyone have any idea of what books we will absolutely need for first year?