UT Southwestern Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll bite.

UTSW 2012!

Although it's not 100% since I still have an interview at Harvard (they're just teasing me :rolleyes:) and I'm still somewhat viable for Baylor.

But, I'm calling it now and saying that I'll probably be going to UTSW!

I'm really happy to get into one of my top choice schools.

maybe me! I've gotten into A&M, Tech, UTSW, and UTMB-Galveston. I'm leaning towards UTSW. What made you guys like UTSW?

Members don't see this ad :)
TCOM, A&M, SA for me, but of course I'm going with UTSW. Have always wanted to go there and now its really happening!!:)

It looks like I'll be attending UTSW next fall. I was accepted to Tech and UTSW and I'm very relieved and excited to finally have an acceptance in hand

Out of all the schools I interviewed at, I really liked UTSW the best (even more than Baylor). I just felt more welcome at UTSW. Mr. Norred was very friendly and professional, and the students there overall were pretty normal.

Baylor certainly wow'ed me with TMC, but I just got the vibe that since there were so many more competitive applicants at Baylor, I was pretty expendable. UTSW, on the other hand, always kind of made it seem like the pleasure was theirs for having us there.

That, and I didn't get lost in Dallas' medical center like I did at TMC which forced me to walk over a mile in my dress shoes to get to my car.

Overall, both are great schools, but I think UTSW is a better "fit" for me.

I already PMed another UTSWer about this, but I wanted to hear other opinions: what do yall think about the college system, and how does it work? UTSW's website doesn't have much info other than the schedule for the colleges.

maybe me! I've gotten into A&M, Tech, UTSW, and UTMB-Galveston. I'm leaning towards UTSW. What made you guys like UTSW?

I'm in a similar situation, except Tech didn't give me a prematch offer (WTF?). Anyway, I'm also leaning towards UTSW over UTMB. I spent last summer there doing the summer research program and got to know quite a few students pretty well. They're all very cool people, and I definitely didn't get the competitive vibe that UTSW is infamous for. It could be that it was the summer. I suppose things could be different the classes are going on.

The curved grading system is a huge concern for me, so I'm still waiting for offers from Baylor and a couple of out of state schools. Also, is there a second look program? I seem to recall something about observing grand rounds. Does anybody have the details for that?

The curved grading system is a huge concern for me

I feel the same way too, but I think there is another perspective on this: aren't you kind of ranked at all schools (except those few that do not rank until rotations) anyways? The curve just makes your rank a bit more explicit.

From what I hear, residency director look at how you rank against other students in your class, and do not look at your GPA absolutely. Thus, there is no implicit advantage to a curving or a noncurving school. Either way, you will somehow do either better or worse than your classmates and this is what will affect you.

But, it does make things a bit more stressful if you are always aware of how you are ranked.

I feel the same way too, but I think there is another perspective on this: aren't you kind of ranked at all schools (except those few that do not rank until rotations) anyways? The curve just makes your rank a bit more explicit.

From what I hear, residency director look at how you rank against other students in your class, and do not look at your GPA absolutely. Thus, there is no implicit advantage to a curving or a noncurving school. Either way, you will somehow do either better or worse than your classmates and this is what will affect you.

But, it does make things a bit more stressful if you are always aware of how you are ranked.

In a curved system, I feel the difference is that whenever someone does well, YOU will automatically be affected negatively. Whereas in a system where let's say honors = 90+, theoretically, it is possible for everyone to get honors.

In a curved system, I feel the difference is that whenever someone does well, YOU will automatically be affected negatively. Whereas in a system where let's say honors = 90+, theoretically, it is possible for everyone to get honors.
But, at many schools, your class rank is determined not based upon your grade, but based upon your ranking in that class. So, if everybody gets 90+, but you have the lowest grade in the class at 90, you are still ranked last in the class, even though you have honored the class. Again, I want to stress, this system is not unique to UTSW (or even medical schools in general -- when I attended Grad. school, that's the way that we were ranked.) In a curved system, your grade is more indicative of your actual rank.

Also, UTSW debated going to a pass/fail system for first year students for EC 2007, but they didn't adopt that. Maybe they will next year (though, I doubt they will stop ranking in the manner that I talked about in my first paragraph.)

What is up...are you guys excited ? I got offers from A&M, Tech, San Antonio, Galveston, and obviously UTSW (<------- STILL IN SHOCK)
Thanks for starting this thread, now we can answer each others questions.

Also, is there a second look program? I seem to recall something about observing grand rounds. Does anybody have the details for that?

I am also interested in finding this out. I remember them saying something about rounds and the person you can call is in the folder that they gave you at interview.

In the next few months I am going to have so many questions about this school, I definitely need to talk to some students (1st-3rd year)

Hey Guys, congrats on your acceptance. I'm an MS2. Second look is typically in the spring after non-rolling schools make offers but, if you call student affairs (Dr. Parker's office) you should be able to revisit and go on ward rounds. The whole curve thing is really overblown. The only class thats a strict curve grading system is Biochem. Basically, every other class we have minimums that equate to an A, B+ etc. For example in Anatomy it was 93 for a guaranteed A but, they lowered the cut-off to 90 to approximate the 20/30/30/20. In neuroscience alot of people made As. If your looking at a school with H/HP/P/MP/F that = A/B+/B/C/F and at least one school in the state the H is given to the top 10-15% so... Anyway congrats and enjoy your weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. MS2 at UTSW here... echoing with what FastForward said above. As long as you're making at least the historical cutoffs for grades (in MS2 it's a 90) you won't be screwed out of a grade, and many times they've lowered that cutoff so more students can make A's, B+'s, etc. Although i will say they've made the exams a little harder the past few years so getting an A is tougher here than at other schools.

This past year the Second Look was March 24, so it'll likely be around the same time next year. Keep in mind when talking to students at this school that the experiences of each class have been drastically different (esp the current MS3's) so you should talk to a good variety of people here (opinions will vary!).

as for the students, maybe it's because the claws haven't come out for MS3 year but I'm very happy with the people I'm around - maybe some of us are a little more neurotic, but my classmates are generally pretty intelligent, well-rounded folks. If you're worried about it being cutthroat and stressful, even students who hate it here will tell you UTSW is not cutthroat. But there's always some level of stress since there's quite a volume of material to learn everyday, and student are made aware that they are being ranked, but if you're like me and pay no attention to the talk of quartiles and the exam score distribution graphs that are periodically sent out, it shouldn't be a stressor.

Some cons: Lots of lecture time, the school isn't touchy-feely and doesn't hold your hand, morale can be low at times, there's not much elective time in MS3, and in MS3 you actually are ranked against each other for your rotations... 20/30/40/10 grade distribution.

Pros: Great place to do research, great place if you don't want to do research, very accomplished, accessible faculty who know their stuff (with a couple bad apples thrown in), they're improving the curriculum every year. Countless resources (supposedly one of the best libraries in the country), optional class attendance, 24/7 access to your own personal study carrel where you can practically live if you want.

if anyone has questions, you can ask here or PM me.

hi future classmates :) :). Quick question - how close do most ppl live?

A lot of students live at university-owned apartment complex very close to the North Campus (usually called Med Park), http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw...on/auxiliaryservices/campushousing/index.html

Another popular apartment complex is Inwood on the Park. Many students live here because Med Parks doesn't allow pets, and I believe it's somewhat cheaper. There are also tons of condos and apartments on Cedar Springs Rd. They're a bit farther, but still pretty close to campus. Cedar Springs is the gay community area in Dallas, so I guess the places are better taken care of. :laugh:

Hope that helps.

What about Cityville? Apparently it's less than half a mile from campus and just opened up. The rent is pretty steep ($1k for 1 bed room), but I need a nice place to stay for the next 4 years. I guess if my parents can pitch in on some of the rent, I can pull a bigger loan to cover the rest of the rent.

Also, what are the interest rates on you guy's loans? UTSW boasted having less than 1% and I just wanted to see if this is true.

I'm leaning toward UTSW. What made ya'll pick it over the others?

NB - there's already a facebook group going

A lot of students live at university-owned apartment complex very close to the North Campus (usually called Med Park), http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw...on/auxiliaryservices/campushousing/index.html

Another popular apartment complex is Inwood on the Park. Many students live here because Med Parks doesn't allow pets, and I believe it's somewhat cheaper. There are also tons of condos and apartments on Cedar Springs Rd. They're a bit farther, but still pretty close to campus. Cedar Springs is the gay community area in Dallas, so I guess the places are better taken care of. :laugh:

Hope that helps.
Ah, thanks. Does sw have some sort of roommate form?

Hey, everyone! I'm joining the club. I still have an interview at Baylor, but I'm really excited about UTSW and I'm thinking of cancelling my Baylor interview. I'm currently in Nacogdoches, TX where I have been teaching for a long time. My girlfriend is an athletic trainer from Plano/Richardson so she's really excited about going to Dallas with me. We're looking in to getting an apartment at Inwood on the Park. They look really nice. We'll be up in Dallas in a few weeks for the Whiterock Marathon, so I'll get a chance to do some apartment shopping then. It's so nice to already be accepted so I can start making plans. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! I also want to thank the current medical students who go out of their way to give us advice.

We'll be up in Dallas in a few weeks for the Whiterock Marathon, so I'll get a chance to do some apartment shopping then.

Ooh, a marathoner? I ran my first one at the end of October - the Miracle Match in Waco. I'd like to do it again, and I heard that there's a marathon training group at UTSW. Any current students confirm?

That's great! This will be my third marathon. I hope your run went well! It's a good sign if you still want to keep running. :) When I did my interview at UTSW I met several students who ran. I think one of the class presidents was training for a half-marathon. I looked up Katy trail and it's not very far from campus at all. It runs all the way up to SMU's campus and in the future it will be expanded to White Rock lake.

I've briefly looked at some of the apartments around UTSW and they all seem to start at $750 for rent. This is a bit high for me. Does anyone know of anything that's cheaper and relatively closer?

Also, I Potato mentioned that UTSW doesn't hold your hand . . .what do you mean by that? Do they have any type of tutoring for people who struggle in some of the classes? are there any assistance programs? I know most med schools have stuff like this. . I would be surprised if SW doesn't. I'm sure the med school benefits if their students are successful and don't drop out. :confused:

I've briefly looked at some of the apartments around UTSW and they all seem to start at $750 for rent. This is a bit high for me. Does anyone know of anything that's cheaper and relatively closer?

Also, I Potato mentioned that UTSW doesn't hold your hand . . .what do you mean by that? Do they have any type of tutoring for people who struggle in some of the classes? are there any assistance programs? I know most med schools have stuff like this. . I would be surprised if SW doesn't. I'm sure the med school benefits if their students are successful and don't drop out. :confused:

If your stuggeling or in the C neighborhood you will be offered tutoring. Some ppl said its helpful but, really if you can learn your sylabus youll be fine. The office of medical education holds reviews before each test. Some ppl really like them (some of them are better then others) and these are open to everyone. I never go and because I don't see a 2 hr. cursory review as beneficial but, Im big on independent study (though I have got little done today and we have a test on wed). The reviews are usually emailed out as a ppt. but again they are mostly summaries of the sylabus which I would rather spend my time looking at.

For rent the cheapest your going to find nearby for a 1 bdrm is about 650. For a 2 bdrm 900-1000 if you can get intown housing (check out the Jefferson at the northend for 1 bdrm for 700 intown but they have a big waitlist). Some ppl spend substantially more.

Yeah, lots of tutoring services are available here as well as review sessions for every exam, and the adminstration will contact you to see if you need help if they notice you are struggling. The "hold your hand" comment is just something I've heard classmates say about UTSW as compared to schools that baby their students and constantly tell them how great they are. Not sure what exactly they mean by that, but I know in MS2 year they throw a ton of stuff at you in Clinical Med from the very beginning that you sort of have to figure out on your own, and there's a lot of initial awkwardness, but it's actually been a great learning experience.

Congrats on getting in. good luck with interviews and the rest of the application process.

Hi guys! MS-1 here, so I'll address a few of these questions.

Out of all the schools I interviewed at, I really liked UTSW the best (even more than Baylor). I just felt more welcome at UTSW. Mr. Norred was very friendly and professional, and the students there overall were pretty normal. [...]

I already PMed another UTSWer about this, but I wanted to hear other opinions: what do yall think about the college system, and how does it work? UTSW's website doesn't have much info other than the schedule for the colleges.

You've hit two big "pros" for UTSW: our student affairs people are fantastic, and the college system has been a big hit with the MS-1s this year. It makes you feel a little less "lost in the crowd" than you might otherwise. They take all the "soft" subjects like ethics, add a whole lot of basic physical exam stuff that most schools won't give you first year, and teach it to you in small groups, 5-6 students per mentor. Most of our mentors are great, and very involved.

The curved grading system is a huge concern for me, so I'm still waiting for offers from Baylor and a couple of out of state schools.

I wouldn't put too much of your decision-making into curves. Four words, people: there's always a curve. If a school lets everybody make As, then the As don't mean a thing on your Dean's letter. The only class we've had so far with an explicit curve is Biochemistry, which is mostly because they're developing a whole new set of tests and are never quite sure how hard they are for students until the students take them. The other classes already have quite a history of testing, so they know how to make the tests hard enough to achieve the same distribution of grades as Biochemistry achieves, but without using an explicit curve.

hi future classmates :) :). Quick question - how close do most ppl live?

Most people live close (medpark or inwood on the park or whatever.) The problem with close is that it is (in Texas scale rents, anyway) expensive. I chose a little differently from most of my classmates -- I live near DFW airport and commute in on the Trinity Railway Express (there's a stop about 4-5 min walk from our school building). The school offers $80/year passes for it -- it's a great commute, especially for the non-trads among you -- many more spouse-employment-location options, and a lot more house-and-yard or a lot more apartment for the money.

Here's my personal pros-and-cons list, for those who are interested.
Pros:
  • Cost! Can't be beat, even in schools that give a much worse education for the money. Texas veterans, don't forget to check out the Hazlewood Act.
  • Parkland -- upperclassmen say that we'll see everything (even things we probably didn't want to see!) I don't know that it's any better or worse than TMC, however; but probably more variety than a smaller center.
  • As previously mentioned, the commuter rail allows choices of places to live.
  • Student services are first-rate.
  • Carrels are good.
  • Colleges are great.

Cons:
  • 2 years preclinical. The administration has not yet acknowledged that this is a disadvantage relative to Baylor, but it is one.
  • IF you can get into a school with a TRUE pass-fail system (not one where your transcript SAYS "pass" but a class rank is carefully recorded anyway, making it just as bad as official grades) consider that a plus. There are VERY FEW of those out there.

Congratulations for all the Texas admittances so far :hardy: and good luck for those of you still waiting. Feel free to ask questions, either here or by PM. :luck:

Are the classes 8am-5pm? Also, are the lectures recorded?

If it is 8am to 5pm that makes me muy triste :(. Unless you can actually learn from class. Otherwise it seems like it would detract from some serious study time.

Questions carried over from the pre-allo board:

what do you like and dislike about UTSW?

I like the carrels... It is very nice to study when surrounded by classmates. I dislike Dallas... I think. I can't say I've seen a lot of it, however.

How close to UTSW do most ppl live? I remember they showed us that chart deal, but I wasn't really paying attention/don't remember.

I'm interested in knowing the answer to this as well. It seemed like the majority of people live in about a 5 mile radius of UTSW. My parents have a house 25 miles away from UTSW and am wondering if I should stay at home (and save A LOT of money) or stay near campus.

I would say 40% of MS1s live within 5 minutes driving, 70% within 15 minutes and the rest within 45 minutes. Other than driving to school and back, think about if you want to live near your classmates and most of the places people will be hanging out... Uptown, Lower Greenville, etc.

I know the schedule is from 9-5 but are there a lot of days where UTSW students study at night on campus or have meetings at night? I dont really want to commute if this is the case.

If it's a 9-5 day (M Tu or F) and you want to stay on campus to study or work out you're not likely to go home unless you live within 5 minutes driving. So, that's a 9-9 day :D People usually come to school with a meal or two and workout clothes in tow if they know they are going to be at school all day. Meetings generally aren't held at night, but are held on the 9-3 or 9-12 days (W or Th) in the afternoon or at lunch every day. I think you could eat free lunch everyday if you wanted to if you kept track of all the meetings going on.

In references to your first point, does SW teach to prep for the board or what you need to be a doctor?

They teach what THEY think you need to be a doctor, most of which will align with what will be tested on the usmle. They def don't teach everything you need to know for the usmle, though... we were told a few times in biochem that this will be on step 1 but we're not going to go over it and it's in the index of the syllabus.

Are the classes 8am-5pm? Also, are the lectures recorded?

If it is 8am to 5pm that makes me muy triste :(. Unless you can actually learn from class. Otherwise it seems like it would detract from some serious study time.

Class is just one extra/different resource available for those who need it. It's not required and about half the class goes on any given day.

For me, class is like extremely focused, condensed study time. I hear exactly what I'll need to know one extra time in a different form, which helps me to remember it. It is in no way a waste of my time, but it would be if I had a hard time paying attention.

For rent the cheapest your going to find nearby for a 1 bdrm is about 650. For a 2 bdrm 900-1000 if you can get intown housing (check out the Jefferson at the northend for 1 bdrm for 700 intown but they have a big waitlist). Some ppl spend substantially more.

Anyone know where I can find a 1 bdrm this cheap? I might try the SMU area and see if there's anything in this price-range or The Village.

You guys are awesome for answering our questions!! It makes this whole process less frightening :scared: so THANKS!!!

hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knew what % of the class gets scholarships at the prematch stage (with the acceptance letter)? thanks!

hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knew what % of the class gets scholarships at the prematch stage (with the acceptance letter)? thanks!

Last year I remember hearing 10% get a scholarship... half $7000 & half $3500. If they don't tell you in your acceptance letter, you didn't get one.

About loans, what is the amount that we should expect to have to take out if we are living alone and paying for a car. Assuming no assistance or scholarship. If students can point out a range, i think we would all appreciate it.:(

My calculations so far are 35k to 40k.....seems kinda scary.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

And how much is the maximum amount that you can borrow?:confused:

Have they (utsw) upgraded their system to windows vista..or do we still have to order our laptops with XP?

Should we buy books before class,or wait to see if we need them? I heard the syllabus was all you really needed.

Should we file tax independently or as dependents, does it make a difference?

LOL sorry if im asking too many questions but this process is so complex and i am :scared::scared::scared: JK

Last year I remember hearing 10% get a scholarship... half $7000 & half $3500. If they don't tell you in your acceptance letter, you didn't get one.

Really? Lame. Did anyone get a scholarship to UTSW in their acceptance packet?

Even if your a dependent on your parents taxes FAFSA classifies all grad students as independents so don't worry if your parents make alot you can still get perkens to day trade with (J/k). You can take out total ~30K and i think everyone gets some type of grant.

I'm really confused about this whole loan situation.

So we can pull out a 30K loan from UTSW and then we have to pull out another loan for tuition from elsewhere?

I'm really confused about this whole loan situation.

So we can pull out a 30K loan from UTSW and then we have to pull out another loan for tuition from elsewhere?
No. I think what the other poster was referring to was Stafford Loans, the maximum amount of which is about $30k/yr.

You will only be able to take out educational loans (Stafford, Perkins (if you are lucky,) GradPlus) for tuition + cost of attendance (what UTSW thinks it costs to live in Dallas and attend school there, beyond tuition and fees.) If you need more, you need to seek out private loans, which usually have higher interest rates and require better credit.

So you recommend filling out the FAFSA regardless? I know I did it in high school, and it helped me 0%. Also, you don't have to take loans for the full amount UTSW gives, right?

You HAVE to fill out the FAFSA to get any sort of aid at UTSW (and most, if not all, other Medical Schools.)

Grad school is different than Undergrad. You are automatically considered independent, and your parents' income is not "counted against you" for most forms of Federal student financial aid (like Stafford loans.) It is still considered for need-based aid (Grants, as well as Federal Perkins Loans and SUBSIDIZED Stafford Loans.) You WILL get the max. amount of UNSUBSIDIZED Stafford Loans just for asking, regardless of need, but, no, you don't need to take out the max. if you don't need it.

P.S. The Financial Aid forum here is a great source of info about this stuff, also.

Actually, I guess it's not so bad. I was dreading doing the whole FAFSA thing again, until I remembered I only need to do it for one school this time (rather than several for undergrad).

The est. need is ~30K/yr (for tuition ~10.5K) and the balance for expenses. Thats more than enough. Some ppl live in some pretty nice places (alone) and its enough. You don't have to take it all. Fill out Fafsa and you WILL get 8500K SUBsidized Stafford, grants, perkins, and the rest UNsubsidized stafford (I did take out as much unsubsidized loans). Some ppl take out everything others nothing. Fill out the Fafsa if you want the free money and subsidize loans.

I'm leaning heavily towards UTSW (with a SW pre-match, who wouldn't) but have my UTH interview this Friday. Due to some conflicting assignments/coming down with a cold this week, I'm considering canceling the interview to make things easier on myself. I've searched through all the forums and read up on UTSW v. UTH positions and while pretty content with this decision, I was just wondering why others picked southwestern over Houston specifically. I don't want to start a X v. X debate here, but if you could PM me or possibly reply with your thoughts I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm leaning heavily towards UTSW (with a SW pre-match, who wouldn't) but have my UTH interview this Friday. Due to some conflicting assignments/coming down with a cold this week, I'm considering canceling the interview to make things easier on myself. I've searched through all the forums and read up on UTSW v. UTH positions and while pretty content with this decision, I was just wondering why others picked southwestern over Houston specifically. I don't want to start a X v. X debate here, but if you could PM me or possibly reply with your thoughts I would greatly appreciate it!
I would look at it this way, why would you possibly pick UTH over UTSW?

EDIT: Except maybe because you REALLY want to live in Houston?

I've asked this question before, but I still understand what the frenzy over UTH is over this year. People keep saying "THE TMC" and that's it. I've followed the boards for the past 2 years and when my older sibling went through this process and there wasn't this type of hype about UTH at all.

I guess they just really pulled out all the stops during interview day and advertised themselves really well which is commendable.

But yeah, IMO UTSW > UTH in reputation, experience, & step scores.

I've asked this question before, but I still understand what the frenzy over UTH is over this year. People keep saying "THE TMC" and that's it. I've followed the boards for the past 2 years and when my older sibling went through this process and there wasn't this type of hype about UTH at all.

I guess they just really pulled out all the stops during interview day and advertised themselves really well which is commendable.

But yeah, IMO UTSW > UTH in reputation, experience, & step scores.

The Texas Medical Center is really huge and impressive and makes you feel like you're immersed in the world of world class medicine. It's the environment effect that helps make a school that much more appealing. That being said, UTSW is in another class of its own compared to UTH when it comes to reputation and research.

The Texas Medical Center is really huge and impressive and makes you feel like you're immersed in the world of world class medicine. It's the environment effect that helps make a school that much more appealing. That being said, UTSW is in another class of its own compared to UTH when it comes to reputation and research.

heh, funny story - I was emailing a bunch of UTSW faculty about research positions last summer, and a few responded. Surprisingly, I got a really nice letter back from a faculty who said unfortunately, he didn't have room in his lab but would I kindly check Dr. ___'s lab next door, they need people like me.

Later, I found out he was the guy who discovered telomeres (and incidentally, was the 4th most cited BME prof in the world).

:eek::eek::eek:

heh, funny story - I was emailing a bunch of UTSW faculty about research positions last summer, and a few responded. Surprisingly, I got a really nice letter back from a faculty who said unfortunately, he didn't have room in his lab but would I kindly check Dr. ___'s lab next door, they need people like me.

Later, I found out he was the guy who discovered telomeres (and incidentally, was the 4th most cited BME prof in the world).

:eek::eek::eek:

Speaking of research, I was thinking about getting some research at UTSW for this summer before starting med school. I really want to do some neuroscience research after reading my physiology book. Are there any paid research positions for the summer?

Speaking of research, I was thinking about getting some research at UTSW for this summer before starting med school. I really want to do some neuroscience research after reading my physiology book. Are there any paid research positions for the summer?

See this link
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept25793/files/126610.html

Basically, there's a program for students wanting to do paid research at UTSW, even the summer before MS1. If you look at the project listings from past years it should give you an idea of the projects offered by various clinical/science departments here.