UT Southwestern Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i don't think you need any books other than an atlas and textbook for anatomy and the text for genetics. the syllabi are hit or miss, but they cover all the relevant material. if you need clarification from a book, the library has them on reserve and you can flip through 'em to your little heart's content.

i'd buy an old atlas if i were you - the human body doesn't change, imho. you'll save a nice chunk of change, too. you might want to wait and glance through a few of the different choices, though. i didn't like netter's much; i found the photographic atlases like rohen's much more helpful for studying. but to each their own!

Members don't see this ad.

i'd really like to know this as well. . .

Most people don't sell their Netter's as it is pretty important to have around all through med school. A lot of people get theirs free when they sign up for AMSA in August. You'll also likely get a "dirty" lab version from your big sibs in August. For the one you'll use at home... I'd just get it at Major's on Butler or if you want an old version go online. I'd say 70% of people use netters and 20% use netters+rohens and maybe only 10% use rohens alone.

Most people don't sell their Netter's as it is pretty important to have around all through med school. A lot of people get theirs free when they sign up for AMSA in August. You'll also likely get a "dirty" lab version from your big sibs in August. For the one you'll use at home... I'd just get it at Major's on Butler or if you want an old version go online. I'd say 70% of people use netters and 20% use netters+rohens and maybe only 10% use rohens alone.

Why do people sign up for AMSA? What's the cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do people sign up for AMSA? What's the cost?

*please disregard my shameless AMSA promotion... I'm an officer*

$75 for four years. You actually have to sign up for their credit card to get the book. There are various benefits... you get JAMA (a medical journal) mailed to you, are welcomed to various national conferences, discounts on car rentals, online bookstores, etc. It's pretty much a national organization that lobbies for medical student/health care interests, so if you support what they stand for your money is going towards your "voice" in DC. They also put on various events on campus but the events are open to all. Also, for the first year ever we're making an orientation guide for you guys!!!! Sooooooooo :D hopefully you'll be getting lots of info on where to live/eat/study/go out, how to study, what books are necessary, etc. before you start.

Wes just emailed us this new UTSW used book selling site: http://www.quidprolibro.com We were having issues with people spamming each other trying to sell books, so hopefully people will go here to buy and sell instead. You need a UTSW email to register.

Last edited:
Forgive me for my ignorance, but isn't AMSA really, really liberal, as in holding hands under trees and having vigils liberal? (http://www.amsa.org/humed/COH.cfm)

Amazingly, at the club fair last year, the representatives for AMSA and TMA were both unable to tell me what their organizations actually stood for. My advice: check them out before the club fair so that you know when you're standing at the table what they stand for and what they are good for. For goodness sake don't get a credit card just for the promise of a book. You can get books in other ways; you can get other incentives if you really need another credit card; make an intentional political statement if you like, but you don't want to make an accidental political statement.

AMSA:
From what I learned online: yes, if you don't want your money being used by an organization to promote a government-run single-payer health care system, don't sign up for AMSA. It's the first thing on their priority list, and their other major things are essentially pretty-sounding talk.
For those whose political buttons get pushed by this sort of stuff, sure, you can spend your money if you like, but I'm still skeptical. It doesn't seem to be an organization with any impact. Who really listens to a bunch of students wax earnest on topics such as "global health equity" and "enriching medicine through diversity"? It's probably a self-licking ice-cream-cone in terms of actual impact on the world. You'll do more good in the world if you give that same money to a worthwhile charity instead. (Or use it to buy yourself & your friends drinks after tests. You'll all need them.)

TMA:
Tort reform in Texas seems to have made Texas one of the friendlier places to practice. TMA claims to have taken a large part in that fight. The issues on their "hot topics" page involve more definite action than the vague "issues" on the AMSA web page -- and not coincidentally, take a great deal more concentration to wade through and evaluate. Possibly the deciding factor: it's free (at least for students -- I haven't looked beyond).

AMA:
I got bored, looked at the fee, and stopped researching. Maybe somebody else can chime in about what they're all about. My feeling is that there'll be plenty of time to look at them when I have a salary.

Bear in mind that this is only what I've read online -- you should do your own research, I'm not an expert, etc. Know what you think before you show up.

Last edited:
Hi. I just got into utsw friday. i feel so behind compared to all you guys, so i was wondering if you knew of some site where i can find a roommate for an apt or something? is there a link that has the popular apts for students? thanks for your help!

Hi. I just got into utsw friday. i feel so behind compared to all you guys, so i was wondering if you knew of some site where i can find a roommate for an apt or something? is there a link that has the popular apts for students? thanks for your help!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You must be sooo excited...many MS1 students live at campus housing (Med Park Apartments) and a lot of people also stay at cityville and Inwood...there is a link on facebook group and also on UTSW website, there is a page where people post if they are looking for a roommate and such...

WANT $200 just to live at Cityville for your first year?? PM me!!
If you mention my name as a reference when you go look at Cityville and decide to sign a lease for the year there - then I get $400 just because you put my name down - and I will GLADLY split that with you even!

So if you are looking for a GREAT place to live at...2 mins away from school...that are brand new!!! PM me - I will give you more info - and you can make lots of money which you will miss making when you get to med school!

Congrats guys!! Our class is REALLY excited to meet all of you and have lots of new events planned for you guys :)!!!

I'm not sure if you got the email from Wes Norred but he attached a file with a survey of the apartments students stay at their rates and the students opinion of the complexes. And congrats on UTSW.

Hey all, 2 things:

• 1. I'm an incoming MS1 at southwestern, and I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment booked at the medpark complex but I still need a roommate. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you're at all interested or in need of an apartment still and we can swap info.
  • Is anyone else having trouble accessing the secure applicant part of the southwestern website?? Like where all the financial aid stuff, roommate bulletin board, etc. is? I haven't been able to get on for awhile and it's starting to piss me off. You guys know what I can do or who I might go to for this?? Thanks!
Looking forward to meeting all of you come August.

Last edited:
Haven't been able to access any of those things on their website either, much to my dismay. Anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't been able to access any of those things on their website either, much to my dismay. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm a student and I can only log into those pages from a UTSW VPN connection. It's been this way for a couple weeks now, but they might be trying to fix things on the website before restoring access without VPN.

Hey all, 2 things:

• 1. I'm an incoming MS1 at southwestern, and I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment booked at the medpark complex but I still need a roommate. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you're at all interested or in need of an apartment still and we can swap info.
  • Is anyone else having trouble accessing the secure applicant part of the southwestern website?? Like where all the financial aid stuff, roommate bulletin board, etc. is? I haven't been able to get on for awhile and it's starting to piss me off. You guys know what I can do or who I might go to for this?? Thanks!
Looking forward to meeting all of you come August.

i got an email from the financial aid people saying that they're having issues with their server, so you can't access finaid info away from the UTSW campus. they said to contact your finaid counselor if you have any specific questions, etc. hope that helps.

So just to clarify, the only texts we need are for Anatomy (Netters/Rohn) & genetics. Is the genetics/anatomy textbook the same as last years?

How do we get the syllabus? Do they hand those out during orientations, and how much do they usually cost? I am trying to figure out a budget for the next year - thus the questions. :)

So just to clarify, the only texts we need are for Anatomy (Netters/Rohn) & genetics. Is the genetics/anatomy textbook the same as last years?

How do we get the syllabus? Do they hand those out during orientations, and how much do they usually cost? I am trying to figure out a budget for the next year - thus the questions. :)

There is no telling which genetics book they will use next year. In terms of anatomy, buy whichever book works best for you. Syllabi are around $10-20 and usually come out around the day of the previous test. They usually contain the material for each test, not each class.

There is no telling which genetics book they will use next year. In terms of anatomy, buy whichever book works best for you. Syllabi are around $10-20 and usually come out around the day of the previous test. They usually contain the material for each test, not each class.

Thanks sprinkibrio! You've been so helpful on this thread. :thumbup:

Hi. So I received my financial aid and the housing survey info from Wes. Is there anything else I should be getting? What else do I need to know to catch up? You all are talking about what books and such you need, so i was just wondering. Thanks! O, btw, I am the one that just got in.

This is a bit random, but does anyone if there are any community orchestras affiliated with the med center (kind of like how the med center in houston as the Doctors Orchestra of Houston)...? Or just any Dallas community orchestras? I play the cello and I'd love to start playing with an orchestra again...

Thanks

Hey everyone-

I just received my acceptance to UTSW this morning and have no idea what to do about housing. I called medpark, and they are completely full, so does anyone have any suggestions on which apartments to look at that are close to the med school? I checked the facebook group but couldn't find much information there. I would really appreciate any suggestions about housing.

Thanks! :)

congratulations to you all..

random question.. my girlfriend (4th year med student) is looking to do an away rotatation at UTSW between october to november (forgot the exact dates.. but it's a 4 week rotation).. is there anyone that will have a room available during this time.. or knows of any student housing..

please PM me or e-mail me @ [email protected]

thanks in advance

Hey everyone-

I just received my acceptance to UTSW this morning and have no idea what to do about housing. I called medpark, and they are completely full, so does anyone have any suggestions on which apartments to look at that are close to the med school? I checked the facebook group but couldn't find much information there. I would really appreciate any suggestions about housing.

Thanks! :)

I don't know if you already found the answer that you were looking for, but I believe there is a one bedroom still available at Inwood on the park (this complex is pretty close). Hope that helps.

So when do we get our email addresses, book lists, IDs, class schedule and such information? Please let me know if you guys find something. Thanks.

On another note - Our orientation will last for like 1.5 days. Quite short compared to the TCOM people I was talking to; theirs lasts 8-5pm for a whole week.

Last edited:
Hey,

I was just wondering if you had any recommendations for what internet service to get. Should I get home phone service and DSL or would it be cheaper and better to get wireless? Does anyone know what most people use and what speed is necessary? Also, any recommendations for energy companies in Dallas, TXU, reliant. For med park apartments, is there anything else you have to sign up for?

Thank you very much!

Hey,

I was just wondering if you had any recommendations for what internet service to get. Should I get home phone service and DSL or would it be cheaper and better to get wireless? Does anyone know what most people use and what speed is necessary? Also, any recommendations for energy companies in Dallas, TXU, reliant. For med park apartments, is there anything else you have to sign up for?

Thank you very much!

Wireless.... what?

In terms of internet speed, cable is always faster than DSL. Assuming no one is going to hog bandwidth, 3-6Mbps is fine.

Wireless.... what?

In terms of internet speed, cable is always faster than DSL. Assuming no one is going to hog bandwidth, 3-6Mbps is fine.

wireless...as in broadband...how much does cable cost and what are some good companies to contact?

what internet service would you recommend?

Thanks!

Hey,

Thank you very much!

I went with AT&T DSL; it was cheaper than cable. Having had both DSL and cable in a variety of places, I can say that one is not surperior to the other, hands down. I've been happy with the speed that I'm getting through AT&T, and I wasn't required to sign up for a land line.

I went with Gexa Energy, mostly because they offered a decently priced green power option.

Hey,

Thank you very much!

I have had Time-Warner Cable Modem service for ~1 year, and I recommend them. DSL can be cheaper (You can get "naked" DSL -- i.e. unbundled from a phone line for $29.95/month for 1.5 Mbps, whereas the cheapest cable modem service is $49.95/month for 5 Mbps.) I consistently get 5 Mbps speeds, and, much to my surprise, Time-Warner is great at resolving outages in a timely fashion. If you want a "landline" it's cheaper to get VOIP anyway. Back in April when we had a lot of storms coming through and a lot of outages, I was pleased at the speed at which they were fixed.

As far as power goes, I use StarTex Power, simply because they had the lowest rates. I have no complaints. All the line maintenence is still done by TXU anyways, but StarTex cost like 33% less than TXU.

Grants Atlas (not the disector) is much much better than Netter's. You may want BRS anatomy. I made an A in phys w/o brs phys but read it cover to cover for step 1 this summer. You dont have time to read anything besides the sylabus and u really dont need to.

wireless...as in broadband...how much does cable cost and what are some good companies to contact?

what internet service would you recommend?

Thanks!

Oh, wireless broadband as in 3G stuff from AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint? I'm not sure that's a good idea as while they may advertise "unlimited", they may send letters telling you to stop abusing their service.

If you're living by yourself, DSL is fine, but cable is better if you ever expect to have multiple people using your internet at the same time (or streaming videos while browsing the web).

Grants Atlas (not the disector) is much much better than Netter's. You may want BRS anatomy. I made an A in phys w/o brs phys but read it cover to cover for step 1 this summer. You dont have time to read anything besides the sylabus and u really dont need to.

Also - remember that it's super expensive to buy these books new. It makes much more sense to buy them from second- and third-year students who want to get rid of them. Wes sent out an email a few weeks ago about a new website http://www.quidprolibro.com/ that makes it easy to buy (or sell) books from other students. Anyone can browse the site, but you need a UTSW email address to actually buy/sell books.

Echoing my previous post, does anyone have information about things like parking permits and ID cards and schedules? Any information would be a great help. TIA.

hey everyone,

i'm an entering ms1 and looking for a roommate to split a 2/2 in a nice condo property. rent will be 550/month (+ split of utilities bill).

this property includes a gated parking lot, shaded parking/garage space parking, swimming pool, small gym, all appliances, high living room ceilings, and you get to pick which bedroom you want.

it is 1.9 miles from school. pictures available upon request. sdn message me if you are interested.

thanks,
dnagyrase

Last edited:
So when do we get our email addresses, book lists, IDs, class schedule and such information? Please let me know if you guys find something. Thanks.

On another note - Our orientation will last for like 1.5 days. Quite short compared to the TCOM people I was talking to; theirs lasts 8-5pm for a whole week.

I think you should have gotten your email. IDs & parking permits you get during orientation. Syllabi you pick up a few days before class. Everything else you need is already on this website. We're a small class, things don't have to be done too far in advance. Also take into account that most people don't move to Dallas until a week ahead of time.

Last edited:
I think you should have gotten your email. IDs & parking permits you get during orientation. Syllabi you pick up a few days before class. Everything else you need is already on this website.
Yeah, email addresses have already been sent out. The schedule isn't up yet (other than the days that courses start and exams are being given,) but I assume that the times are the same as last year (you can go back to last August to see the times for all of the courses.) The one thing that looks different is that on my Registration Packet/Bill it showed me as signed up for Immunology. I didn't think that that was typically part of the MS1 curriculum. Is that something new, or (more likely) was it just a course that I missed looking into before....

EDIT: Immunology is definitely showing up on the MS1 curriculum page that sprinkibrio posted above, but there is no link to anything, so I guess it's new..

EDIT: Immunology is definitely showing up on the MS1 curriculum page that sprinkibrio posted above, but there is no link to anything, so I guess it's new..

It's a change for the new entering class. Immunology used to be the first course of MS2, and endocrinology has been dropped from the MS1 year. IMO it's a good move - all the relevant endo we learned 1st year was pretty much repeated our 2nd year, and immunology, which used to be part of our MS2 Microbiology curriciulum, seemed more like a basic 1st year subject. I assume it'll be last on the MS1 calendar (May) in place of Endo.

Last edited:
Yeah, email addresses have already been sent out. The schedule isn't up yet (other than the days that courses start and exams are being given,) but I assume that the times are the same as last year (you can go back to last August to see the times for all of the courses.) The one thing that looks different is that on my Registration Packet/Bill it showed me as signed up for Immunology. I didn't think that that was typically part of the MS1 curriculum. Is that something new, or (more likely) was it just a course that I missed looking into before....

Did you get the Registration Packet by mail or online?

What hours of the day do classes run for each day?? Kind of a stupid question but I'm curious. Does anyone know?

also when is the white coat ceremony??

Has anyone gotten information about registration? I won't want to end up paying the late fee.

What hours of the day do classes run for each day?? Kind of a stupid question but I'm curious. Does anyone know?

Registration stuff comes in the mail like 2 wks ahead of class.

If you go to the web curriculum website and scroll back to my year on the calendar, the class schedule is still up.

Has anyone gotten information about registration? I won't want to end up paying the late fee.

I received a packet in the mail about a week ago that had the courses posted as well as the bill. Might want to contact UTSW about that if you haven't received it.

anyone know how to access our email account? And were we supposed to activate it or something at any point?? Thanks for the help

anyone know how to access our email account? And were we supposed to activate it or something at any point?? Thanks for the help

I got an e-mail a while back that taught me how to set the whole thing up. If you have not, you might want to contact Wes Norred.

Guys, where and when are we meeting tomorrow...our first official day as MS1s?