UT Southwestern Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So this might be a dumb question, but does participating/applying for these positions presumes that we will attend UTSW? That is, if we're not 100% sure we will be going to UTSW, should we still apply for a research project?
Sounds like you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. Why would you even consider applying for a research project at UTSW before you have decided to attend there? Take 3 deep breaths, calm down, and enjoy life.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. Why would you even consider applying for a research project at UTSW before you have decided to attend there? Take 3 deep breaths, calm down, and enjoy life.

Normally I would, but this thing is due by March or so, and its strongly advised that you look early. If I do end up going to UTSW (reasonably good chance) then I'd like to get an early start on research. I'm not a gunner I swear.

Well, I just have to have my apartment subleased if I want to research over the summer in Dallas. There is a small time frame that people look for apartments for the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I just have to have my apartment subleased if I want to research over the summer in Dallas. There is a small time frame that people look for apartments for the summer.

That's just it though, do you have to be in the class of 2012 at UTSW to do research there during the summer? In other words can you do research in the summer if you decide to go elsewhere for medical school?

I just ask this because it sounds like you're just planning on staying in Dallas for the summer only.

That's just it though, do you have to be in the class of 2012 at UTSW to do research there during the summer? In other words can you do research in the summer if you decide to go elsewhere for medical school?

I just ask this because it sounds like you're just planning on staying in Dallas for the summer only.

You could feasibly do research there without being a student, but I'm looking to do it as a student so I can qualify for their $3k summer stipend. The apartment I am going to get over the summer will be the apartment I stay in for the rest of medical school (moving is a bitch).

What apts have you guys settled on? I still haven't figured out my living situation :scared:

Las colinas looks really really nice, 650-700 rent for good apartments and very calm neighborhoods. Using the highway it takes about 10 minutes to get to school, maybe 15 minutes when people are driving a little slower because of traffic. I volunteered at parkland for 5 month and i think at the end of the night i would like to get out of the "harry hines" area. Interviews were held on Saturday, when parkland and that area of harry hines looks innocent to the foreign eye. Plus i have heard that people living in med park and around that area have to deal with jet fuel fumes. However, it is closer....basicly....i don't know what i am gonna do. But las colinas is awesome! Wish some MS's would give us their opinion/experience.

650, really? that beats medparks 740 a month rent. Is there a good website to find such apartments.

I'm just trying to find a cheap apartment, in a safe area thats close to campus. Is that so much to ask for?

lol i had a huge reply typed out and then i closed the window.:(:mad::mad:

This will suffice for now: http://dallas.cities4rent.com

Well the "safe" area part might be in question, med park has 24 hr security guards and even then they had a few problems last year (unconfirmed). Yeah we need ms's opinions real bad.

I remember my brother living in the Jeffersons at the North End many moons ago (9 years). Pretty nice and right next to the American Airlines center. I think rent was $750 for a 1 bed, 1 bath.

Las colinas looks really really nice, 650-700 rent for good apartments and very calm neighborhoods. Using the highway it takes about 10 minutes to get to school, maybe 15 minutes when people are driving a little slower because of traffic. I volunteered at parkland for 5 month and i think at the end of the night i would like to get out of the "harry hines" area. Interviews were held on Saturday, when parkland and that area of harry hines looks innocent to the foreign eye. Plus i have heard that people living in med park and around that area have to deal with jet fuel fumes. However, it is closer....basicly....i don't know what i am gonna do. But las colinas is awesome! Wish some MS's would give us their opinion/experience.
Las Colinas is great, but 10-15 minutes is NOT realistic if you are going to/from there using 35 and/or 635 during rush hour (or even close to rush hour.) Going south on GWB/161 to 183 (or vice versa) MIGHT be better, but 183 gets pretty bad too.

I take 161/GWB to 635 (they connect in Las Colinas) frequently, and traffic SUCKS in the morning (especially on 635 between GWB and 35.) 35 S doesn't look much better when I pass over it.

You can do research with the program here no matter where you end up going to school and get paid. There was someone from A&M last year. You might want to really look at the website for more details, since I can't tell you more than that! The March deadline is very open.

I never feel unsafe anywhere around campus or in the general vicinity. I don't really think anyone can say Cityville or Med Park or 5225 Maple or any other place is safer than the other because there in the same 5 block area. It's all a matter of preference. Uptown is not necessarily safer either... Although if you have a concierge that doesn't let anyone in your building and hyper vigilant residents that don't let people follow them through the gates obviously things will be safer. I live in an extremely nice area in Uptown and someone in my building got robbed at gunpoint in our garage last month. Plus I still have to deal with people asking for money and cat calls occasionally.

As long as you're comfortable where you live you'll be happy and that's the most important thing. What could possibly or possibly not happen to you in the future is very hard to determine. That's just my opinion, because I've lived in much "less safe" areas!

Members don't see this ad :)
i was thinking of living close to the 114, and from there the distance and time spent on the 183 is cut down. Plenty of apartments on the 114 side, so i never even looked for ones on the 161 side. Then i could take 114-->183-->35 south(very short distance)--> inwood rd. In reality im driving in one long straight line a distance of about 8 miles from the apartments i went to. Google estimates 8 minutes trip (15 in traffic). It took me 8 minutes without traffic , but i agree the trip can take upwards of 20 minutes in traffic (usual traffic). I drive 30 minutes to school each day so 20 doesn't seem to bad. Heck, i enjoy the drive (get to relax and listen to music) but with the added load in med school i wonder if 20 minutes will be of that much more importance?

i was thinking of living close to the 114, and from there the distance and time spent on the 183 is cut down. Plenty of apartments on the 114 side, so i never even looked for ones on the 161 side. Then i could take 114-->183-->35 south(very short distance)--> inwood rd. In reality im driving in one long straight line a distance of about 8 miles from the apartments i went to. Google estimates 8 minutes trip (15 in traffic). It took me 8 minutes without traffic , but i agree the trip can take upwards of 20 minutes in traffic (usual traffic). I drive 30 minutes to school each day so 20 doesn't seem to bad. Heck, i enjoy the drive (get to relax and listen to music) but with the added load in med school i wonder if 20 minutes will be of that much more importance?
There are always large bottlenecks at the junction of 114>183, and 183>35, because all those highways merge into one. Also, 114 in the evening is stop and go. Be aware of traffic...

Ok, problem solved, instead buying a car i'm gonna buy a helicopter...lmao. That or make a deal with Careflight to take me and bring me back to parkland lol

Well, you could always live near the SMU area. Its not Las Colinas nice, but its nice, clean and safe. Its about 15 minutes from UTSW.

You can still get rent at Jeferson @ The North End for $750 but need to get on the waitlist for that now. This is for their in town housing program for people who don't make much money. I wouldn't live in Las Colinas. People are concerned about the $ they spend but, really you should live somewhere thats going to make you happy. Jefferson North is nice and about 5-10 min with traffic. Gables are overpriced as is the City thing near campus. If you want cheap look into King's Gate (Ghetto), 5225 Maple is ~700 through in town but also ghetto. I spend too much but like where I live alot so for me its worth it. Nice complexes besides Gables (Villa Rosa etc.) are Post Worthington and Heights but if you live on McKinney there is some street noise.

Well, you could always live near the SMU area. Its not Las Colinas nice, but its nice, clean and safe. Its about 15 minutes from UTSW.

Always remember to add on 10 minutes to driving time. It takes like ~7 min from driving through the UTSW gate to sitting your butt in class, plus if you live in an apartment complex with a garage it'll take you a bit to get out of it. Driving time does not equal amt of time you have to give yourself before leaving your house. I live around McKinney and I need 20 minutes, so I'd say SMU is more like 30, and even more if you want to get on the highways. I wouldn't live anywhere you have to get on a highway... I would hate to be worrying about a wreck or weather before a test on top of my usual worries!

i've been accepted to UTSW since nov 15. Just recently found out that I also got into UTMB and then yesterday they offered a full academic scholarship....... I was once dead set on UTSW but the prospect of no debt is pretty appealing... any thoughts????

i've been accepted to UTSW since nov 15. Just recently found out that I also got into UTMB and then yesterday they offered a full academic scholarship....... I was once dead set on UTSW but the prospect of no debt is pretty appealing... any thoughts????

I was thinking what would happen if I were ever in that position and here's what it boiled down to: "Is there any reason you would pick UTSW besides it's rank and the benefits that may/may not come with it?" If there is, then the choice isn't too hard, but if there isn't then I'm not sure any of us will really help you too much.

However, do remember that while it may be $120,000 that you borrowed, interest makes that figure much higher when paid back. And since you can't make any bets on what UTSW might give you, it's really hard to say. One thing I would do is call up the financial aid office at UTSW and tell them you've been given a full-ride to UTMB.

Lastly, as stated in the other thread, there are some specifics you haven't talked about. Does is cover room & board? Are there any requirements on how you must perform in classes? Do you even like Galveston? The last thing you want to do is spend 4 years in a place full of misery and regret (whether that be Dallas or Galveston) because in some way or another, that will affect your performance in med school.

Good luck making your decision!

Hey guys :)! MS1 here - congratulations :)!!!!
you couldn't have been accepted at a better place than this - ive always had my doubts about UTSW before coming here - but now love it!

I see that some of you have already started apartment hunting and wanted to put this offer up for you guys:

I currently live in Cityville Apts, 2 mi. away from campus - closer than MedPark. They are brand-new apartments, have a really nice modern feel, great decor and kitchen appliances, covered parking, and have this 1st floor retail space that will eventually have shops and such (I'm already quite excited about Jimmy Johns!).
If you are interested in checking it out please PM me before you go! If you end up liking it and have referred my name, then I get $400 to refer which I will gladly split halfway ($200 is yours!). A little extra money will go a long way... for the both of us!

Also, if you have any other questions, please let me know!

I guess I should be able to tell by the types of posts here, but how early do we need to pick out apartments by? Are the med park ones more readily available than the ones that you need to get on waitlists for?

I guess I should be able to tell by the types of posts here, but how early do we need to pick out apartments by? Are the med park ones more readily available than the ones that you need to get on waitlists for?

The med park ones are the most difficult to get in, get on a waitlist now. If you wait until after 2nd look weekend you might not get a 1 br.

For those of you who are already up there - do any students live in Rosemont at Arlington Park?

For those of you who are already up there - do any students live in Rosemont at Arlington Park?

I've never heard of it, which is surprising since it's so close.

For those of you who are familiar with Dallas, which areas are considered safe and which areas unsafe? What about expensive versus relatively affordable? From what I've gathered so far, the areas most students live in / talk about are the following:

Las Colinas - safe / $$$$
Uptown - safe
Downtown -
The Village - / $$$
Lakewood -
Cityplace -
Lower Greenville -
Deep Ellum -
SMU - safe
right around SW - unsafe? isn't this where Med Parks is? / $ for shady apartments, $$$ for nicer ones (MedParks, Inwood, Cityville etc)

$$$$ >1000, $$$ > 750, $$ > 600, $ > 450 Feel free to correct me on these...

I found a few cheap 1/1s a few minutes away from SW, but since they don't have a website or phone number, I'm even more suspicious that the general area is kind of ghetto... :(

Most Las Colinas apartments are not >$1000, i have visited a few. The price range i saw for 1 bedroom, 600-700 sq ft., was $650-$800. The deal is good but the distance is not....:(:mad::mad::thumbdown:

I went on rounds the other day and the students felt that med park was satisfactory. Better deals existed elsewhere, but nothing could beat medpark in convenience, especially 3rd year. However, only about half had lived or currently live in medpark. One of the students lived 25-30 minutes away and didnt seem to mind it too much. Another student had moved into medpark, moved out, and moved back in for 3rd year. When i asked about medpark none of the students seemed to have negative facial reactions or comments.

So, obviously as you can tell because i didn't really take a side: I AM STILL CONFUSED, MORE THEN I WAS ON SOME OF MY MCAT VERBAL PASSAGES:confused::boom::banana::boom::boom:

where is everybody... isnt utsw suppose to have a huge class

You forgot oak cliff... $, and only 5 mins away by DART. :)

Oak Cliff.... is not safe. And I say this as a former Dallas resident. Live elsewhere.

Are you trying to kill us, LesPaul?

Or at least increase our chances of being killed three-fold...

On a more serious note, have y'all started filling out the FAFSA forms? I dont really know where to start and I was hoping y'all could point me in the right directions. I know we dont need to have chosen a school to get started with FAFSA and I think the forms for 2008 are out at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not all of us would have realized that. I didn't.

My bad, guys. I should have put a winking smiley next to my post ;). I just thought it was common knowledge that oak cliff was the not-so-nice part of town.

On a more serious note, have y'all started filling out the FAFSA forms? I dont really know where to start and I was hoping y'all could point me in the right directions. I know we dont need to have chosen a school to get started with FAFSA and I think the forms for 2008 are out at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea either, but they will tell us all about it on MS0 day, right? They have some fin aid presentation scheduled.

My bad, guys. I should have put a winking smiley next to my post ;). I just thought it was common knowledge that oak cliff was the not-so-nice part of town.

It may be common, but it's not universal. I know next to nothing about Dallas or its neighborhoods, and I doubt that I'll be the only one who's never lived in or even visited the area much.

I plan on filling mine out before MS0 day, but I'm still waiting on all my tax stuff to come in so I can get a rough estimate for the FAFSA.

I got an email from a FA counselor in December. I'll post the contents below.

The financial aid process is initiated when you complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This can be accomplished online. The online FAFSA can be accessed from the UT Southwestern Student Financial Aid website or directly at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. The 2008-2009 FAFSA information is posted on-line now, but the form cannot be submitted prior to January 1, 2008.

You can have the FAFSA results sent to multiple medical schools (UT Southwestern's code number is 010019). Within hours after you submit the FAFSA, financial aid offices at the medical schools you indicated will receive your processed information electronically. Soon after the receipt of your FAFSA data, these schools may correspond with you regarding any necessary support documentation required as well as, ultimately, informing you of your financial aid award package. UT Southwestern financial aid award notifications are distributed during the spring, usually around April 15. Aid recipients receive an email notification directing them to a secured website where you will log into your financial aid award information.

To allow the necessary processing time, you should submit the FAFSA as soon after January 1 as possible, but certainly no later than March 1. There is no need to wait until you have received or narrowed down all of your admissions offers.

I don't understand how they want us to send in our FAFSA so early when we don't even have the tax information. Do they want us to but guess-timations?

I don't understand how they want us to send in our FAFSA so early when we don't even have the tax information. Do they want us to but guess-timations?
I guess not everybody worked, so they can fill it out early. Or, if the companies that you worked for sent out your W-2s early (I got one of mine like 2 weeks ago, but am still waiting on the rest) you could've had your taxes done early. But otherwise, I'm still waiting for all of my documentation so that I can do my tax return and then fill out the FAFSA.

Are any of you guys on the med park waitlist? I know that once they have a spot available you have 72 hours to accept or decline your apartment. Does anyone know when they'll notify you of an available place?

Anyone here know about the international rotations during fourth year? I want to do something in India, but preferably in Uttar Pradesh. The current elective available for India is in Bangalore which is too far from the family I want to be close to. Apparently there are independent programs that you can apply to in order to get international rotations, but I haven't found a good source for them. Anyone know?

Yeah you can use your old tax papers and a calculator to guess-timate the fafsa numbers but i don't know how usefull that is. I am still waiting for my w-2, and my parents w-2's. There isn't much i can do...although i really wanted to turn it in closer to january 1st...but whatever.:mad:

on a more interesting note....anyone have nice (does not include research...although it can be fun) plans for the summer?

Mhmm.. sure.

Yeah you can use your old tax papers and a calculator to guess-timate the fafsa numbers but i don't know how usefull that is. I am still waiting for my w-2, and my parents w-2's. There isn't much i can do...although i really wanted to turn it in closer to january 1st...but whatever.:mad:

on a more interesting note....anyone have nice (does not include research...although it can be fun) plans for the summer?
I'm going to the homeland for 4 months or so :).

I'm taking this semester off and doing random odd jobs so I can hopefully go on a trip with a few friends this summer. (Cali, NY, Las Vegas? One of them was talking about going to Iceland for a while :laugh:). Definitely going to Taiwan/China for a few weeks with the parents though.

What are everyone else's plans?

i am going to kuwait for a month, i was born there, and most of my family resides there. Should be an interesting environment change for me. i have been fworking for a while now saving up for it....>$2200 ticket. 28 hr trip time lol. Then i am gonna come back and sleep for a month.....

Me and my friends thought we could make a trip to china and volunteer in the beijing 2008 olympics...but whatever, it never materialized.

I am hoping to go out to a remote lake in Eastern Washington and go wakeboarding for an entire week in July with my friends.

trying to shake off the monotony of having worked a 9-5 for a year before starting med school...

1 month abroad visiting some family and attending a wedding.

1 month to get my life together: ie set up an apartment, learn to cook, read all the books I've wanted to read, watch a TON of movies, and just enjoy having to do NOTHING.

:):)