University of Toledo vs. Wright State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectrum42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found accepted to UTCOM off of the waitlist. At this time, I had pretty much gotten used to the idea of going to WSU, even canceling a meeting with a realtor tonight. Can anyone weight in on this? Both the schools seem very even in terms of reputation, etc.

• UTCOM is marginally cheaper
  • WSU is closer to home (Columbus)

Members don't see this ad.

i have interviewed and was accepted at both so i might have some valid thoughts. I also have lived in Dayton.

WSU: small class size and band new facilities. newer school. i know a fair amount of WSU kids and overall, this is probably one of the nicest student bodies out there. the faculty seems like they are there for you. However, dayton hospitals are terrible and this is a serious red flag. obv WSU does not have a hospital and so it must look elsewhere, it looks elsewhere to these hospitals of which i worry about. Oya, Dayton is not a nice city (neither is toledo, but i know dayton better), one of their primary hospitals (St. elizabeths) closed in 2002 due to financial problems and I have heard worries of more financial problems in the future.

Sorry, one more thing: in terms of matching. WSU claims to be a school for primary care but I do not see that anymore. I have worked with some current med students who say they are surprised by the lack of primary care emphasis. not saying this is positive or neg, just worth note.

Toledo: bigger class size and probably more competitive student body (although probably pretty slight in terms of competitiveness). Toledo is too focused on competing with cinci and OSU. But this is probably not that big of a deal. The school seems to be keen on matching you to the place you want to go, they were boasting their match list matchs well out of state when i was there. Finally, i think this school's hospitals and clinical years are much more stable. I do not know toledo as well, but having a big academic medical center has to be more solid than wsu's system (this comes from dayton docs i have talked to as well).

So, overall: I say go toledo.

This are my opinions, hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.