University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think everyone understand what you are saying Dr Zeke, but I think that trying won't hurt anyone. In fact I think it would do more good than harm. What do they have to lose? As long as you are not overbearing and annoying I don't think it will hurt anyone or their application. But just as it seems that we need to remind everyone here even though this is a forum, this is my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Just joined SDN so I can post to the site. I was accepted at both campuses in January and decided on Boca. I was super impressed by both main and regional, but decided the smaller class size was more my style. Congrats to everyone accepted and I can't wait to meet you all!

Anymore news on scholarships? I really could use some funding, but I figured that since it's already May the money has been disbursed.

Go Canes! UMMSOM Class of 2012

It doesn't hurt to try. IN FACT, if you guys have seen my previous posts on this thread or others, I encourage people to try. At the end of the day,if something if your first choice and you don't try, you will feel bad and wonder if there wasn't more you could have done... That's the way I see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question. Just wondering.

How is the involvement with upperclassman? Meaning for people like Dr. Zeke and Dueist and any others how do you look at freshmen coming in? This won't apply just yet if you're a MS1 but for MS2 and above what is the interaction with the lower class-people?

The purpose of my question is to find out is it like one big happy family in a general sense or is the true camaraderie segregated to the individual class?

I would prefer it to be the first choice because working with upperclassman would be a great help but are they too busy, just different agenda's, etc?

You all can be honest, this isn't a game changer or anything but I am trying to get a reality of what the dynamic is.

For the Miami campus I am sure the Academic societies covers most of this and from what I understand this is being extended to the Boca campus as well so perhaps I am speaking more from a Boca perspective.

Hi everyone! Just joined SDN so I can post to the site. I was accepted at both campuses in January and decided on Boca. I was super impressed by both main and regional, but decided the smaller class size was more my style. Congrats to everyone accepted and I can't wait to meet you all!

Anymore news on scholarships? I really could use some funding, but I figured that since it's already May the money has been disbursed.

Go Canes! UMMSOM Class of 2012

I second that question about the scholarships. I know of a few people on this thread who have already received what I assume to be need based scholarships, but out of the several UM undergraduates I know who will be attending UMMSM this fall, not one has been awarded any funds at the moment. I emailed the financial aid office awhile ago regarding merit scholarships, and here is what they wroteback :

Yes,we do have merit scholarships that are awarded by the Scholarship Committee not the Financial Aid Office. Your entire admission's file is evaluated for this purpose by the Committee members, i.e., application material, MCAT, GPA, interview report, letters of recommendation,personal statement, etc. It's a very comprehensive process which began last month (November) and will continue until July.

I have a question. Just wondering.

How is the involvement with upperclassman? Meaning for people like Dr. Zeke and Dueist and any others how do you look at freshmen coming in? This won't apply just yet if you're a MS1 but for MS2 and above what is the interaction with the lower class-people?

The purpose of my question is to find out is it like one big happy family in a general sense or is the true camaraderie segregated to the individual class?

I would prefer it to be the first choice because working with upperclassman would be a great help but are they too busy, just different agenda's, etc?

You all can be honest, this isn't a game changer or anything but I am trying to get a reality of what the dynamic is.

For the Miami campus I am sure the Academic societies covers most of this and from what I understand this is being extended to the Boca campus as well so perhaps I am speaking more from a Boca perspective.
So, aside from academic societies, I think a lot of us at Miami meet each other, because there is a lot of interaction in general. The school has lots of extracurricular opportunities and a big department of community service, so we tend to interact regularly in that setting. Aside from that, anatomy sets the stage for having a lot of interaction with your second years. There are 16 TA's from the 2nd year class that will help you and work closely with you for anatomy. In addition, when it comes to 3rd and 4th years, I think our school is unique in that our hospitals are conveniently located on campus. That means that 3rd and 4th years are always around. I've met several 3rd and 4th years through AS and just by chilling on the 2nd floor. People are really friendly at UM and I haven't met anyone who wasn't willing to answer my questions.

At Boca, I believe they also have anatomy TA's, but I'd need someone to confirm that. From what I saw at health fairs and other activities it seems like the upperclassman (1st and 2nd years) at Boca get along really well and hang out with each other. Ask Deuist about they commeraderie at Boca.

I second that question about the scholarships. I know of a few people on this thread who have already received what I assume to be need based scholarships, but out of the several UM undergraduates I know who will be attending UMMSM this fall, not one has been awarded any funds at the moment. I emailed the financial aid office awhile ago regarding merit scholarships, and here is what they wroteback :

Yes,we do have merit scholarships that are awarded by the Scholarship Committee not the Financial Aid Office. Your entire admission's file is evaluated for this purpose by the Committee members, i.e., application material, MCAT, GPA, interview report, letters of recommendation,personal statement, etc. It's a very comprehensive process which began last month (November) and will continue until July.

Thanks AnkokuKarasu! That's more info than I knew and at least I can continue to hope!!

I have called about this and I don't think the scholarships are just need based. Like I said before and what I got when I called is that there are weekly meetings through July that will evaluate files and based up ALL information will hand out awards.

My friend got a scholarship when she was accepted and handn't even done the financial aid yet. I think she got it as a "come here not there" deal. So again, I just don't think its NEED based. LOL, I know I'm poor but geez.

Did any of you guys receive a confirmation of them receiving your diversity essay?

Did any of you guys receive a confirmation of them receiving your diversity essay?

LOL, I thought the same thing. But for sure if you hit submit you probably got it sent.

However, no harm at all in calling financial aid. They are pretty nice.

So, aside from academic societies, I think a lot of us at Miami meet each other, because there is a lot of interaction in general. The school has lots of extracurricular opportunities and a big department of community service, so we tend to interact regularly in that setting. Aside from that, anatomy sets the stage for having a lot of interaction with your second years. There are 16 TA's from the 2nd year class that will help you and work closely with you for anatomy. In addition, when it comes to 3rd and 4th years, I think our school is unique in that our hospitals are conveniently located on campus. That means that 3rd and 4th years are always around. I've met several 3rd and 4th years through AS and just by chilling on the 2nd floor. People are really friendly at UM and I haven't met anyone who wasn't willing to answer my questions.

At Boca, I believe they also have anatomy TA's, but I'd need someone to confirm that. From what I saw at health fairs and other activities it seems like the upperclassman (1st and 2nd years) at Boca get along really well and hang out with each other. Ask Deuist about they commeraderie at Boca.

I second what Dr. Zeke posted here. I am a 3rd year (soon to be 4th :D) and I feel there is a great interaction between the upper and underclassman. Also, if the interaction is not there and you want more, don't be afraid to come up to one of us and ask us questions or ask to follow us around the hospital. I know that us 3rd and 4th years can seem intimidating to those just starting out, but a lot of us really like to help out and are willing to spend time taking you around the hospital and answering your questions etc... Your academic society will be a great way to meet some upperclassman from day 1. Also, 4th years tend to have more time on their hands compared to 3rd.

I second what Dr. Zeke posted here. I am a 3rd year (soon to be 4th :D) and I feel there is a great interaction between the upper and underclassman. Also, if the interaction is not there and you want more, don't be afraid to come up to one of us and ask us questions or ask to follow us around the hospital. I know that us 3rd and 4th years can seem intimidating to those just starting out, but a lot of us really like to help out and are willing to spend time taking you around the hospital and answering your questions etc... Your academic society will be a great way to meet some upperclassman from day 1. Also, 4th years tend to have more time on their hands compared to 3rd.

Thanks, is there any perspective from the Boca Campus? I think it is going to a little bit of an experiment for two reasons.
1st, there is no upperclassmen to speak of in the Palm Beach area hospitals.
2nd, I personally believe there will be a dilution because while BRCH is near the school I have the feeling that people will want many of the other hospitals in the palm beach area if not even Broward county. This could lead to some unique perspective in following around anyone. This is going to be very different than the Jackson experience.

Any MS1 from boca have an example or experience from this aspect?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The closer it gets to August the more amped I become. I was looking over the student schedule/website and it looks fun.(I am crazy right?)

Thanks, is there any perspective from the Boca Campus? I think it is going to a little bit of an experiment for two reasons.
1st, there is no upperclassmen to speak of in the Palm Beach area hospitals.
2nd, I personally believe there will be a dilution because while BRCH is near the school I have the feeling that people will want many of the other hospitals in the palm beach area if not even Broward county. This could lead to some unique perspective in following around anyone. This is going to be very different than the Jackson experience.

Any MS1 from boca have an example or experience from this aspect?

Thanks.

I would love some input from an MS1 as well. I am excited about the early clinical experience, it is a huge selling point for UM@FAU.

I received a generic email soon after I submitted the scholarship form saying:

"Your scholarship information form has been received at the University of Miami School of Medicine. You will be notified if an award is made to you."

But that was on 1/31.

So, even though this was the highlight of Miami football the last few years,

25918546.jpg

... how do we get tickets?

Wanted to post a message to all incoming first years in case you are
still looking for a place in Miami. I'm going to be a third year this
fall, and I was at Miami for the first two years. My roommate is
moving out, so I'm trying to find somebody else to move in. If you're
interested and you want to move in, you can move in anytime after
June 1st, so there'll be plenty of time to get settled before school
starts.

Currently, I live at 1550 Brickell Apts. in a 2/2
(www.1550brickell.com). The room that will be available is the bigger
of the two and has its own walk-in closet and bathroom. The rent will
be around ~925 (not including utilities) and includes a parking
space. The rent is less compared to other condos in Brickell. It's
only a 10 min drive to school and there's a Publix/Walgreens nearby.

If you're interested, please send an e-mail to rmohan at med.miami.edu
If you want to look at the place, I'll be around for another week. If
you want to see it after mid-May, I can make arrangements with my
previous roommate or somebody at my building to show you the place. A
bit about me: I'm studious, reserved, and easy to get along with. I
won't really be around much on weekdays since third year clerkships
are pretty hectic and on most days, I'll have to be at the hospital
pretty early.

Wanted to post a message to all incoming first years in case you are
still looking for a place in Miami. I'm going to be a third year this
fall, and I was at Miami for the first two years. My roommate is
moving out, so I'm trying to find somebody else to move in. If you're
interested and you want to move in, you can move in anytime after
June 1st, so there'll be plenty of time to get settled before school
starts.

Currently, I live at 1550 Brickell Apts. in a 2/2
(www.1550brickell.com). The room that will be available is the bigger
of the two and has its own walk-in closet and bathroom. The rent will
be around ~925 (not including utilities) and includes a parking
space. The rent is less compared to other condos in Brickell. It's
only a 10 min drive to school and there's a Publix/Walgreens nearby.

If you're interested, please send an e-mail to rmohan at med.miami.edu
If you want to look at the place, I'll be around for another week. If
you want to see it after mid-May, I can make arrangements with my
previous roommate or somebody at my building to show you the place. A
bit about me: I'm studious, reserved, and easy to get along with. I
won't really be around much on weekdays since third year clerkships
are pretty hectic and on most days, I'll have to be at the hospital
pretty early.

You may also want to post this on facebook on the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012 group wall. This thread hasn't been too active lately.

Do they send a confirmation when they've received your deposit? Getting paranoid, and dont want to turn over other admissions without confirmation.

Hey I never got a confirmation so I called and Agnes said they had it. They also said that they hold them and cash them later on in case u decide to withdraw.

Hey I never got a confirmation so I called and Agnes said they had it. They also said that they hold them and cash them later on in case u decide to withdraw.

I got the same story today. Deposit received and holding til late May when accounts are set up.

Can anyone tell me more about where students live if they are attending University of Miami main campus. I am thinking I'll not want to live in Dominion Towers, but I dont know much about any of the neighborhoods in Miami. I think SoBe and Brickell are nice. Are there any quieter residential parts of SoBe, or popular apartments there? And also are there any cheaper neighborhoods within a short drive/metro to school that are also pretty safe?

Can anyone tell me more about where students live if they are attending University of Miami main campus. I am thinking I'll not want to live in Dominion Towers, but I dont know much about any of the neighborhoods in Miami. I think SoBe and Brickell are nice. Are there any quieter residential parts of SoBe, or popular apartments there? And also are there any cheaper neighborhoods within a short drive/metro to school that are also pretty safe?

http://www.mededu.miami.edu/Admissions/live

There is some helpful information about different places to live down here.

Haha, I guess she made her decision about UConn vs. Miami...

Brickell is decent with a roommate and so is SoBe. You need to be patient and look though, otherwise you'll take the first thing that comes along. If I were you, I'd call ReMax or one of those places and get someone to show you around for a weekend. Cram as many listings in as possible. That's how I find my apartments. Works out well.

roommate = cheaper no matter where.
me = expensive and antisocial.

hey you. LOL.

anyone receive anything about applying for loans yet? I got the financial assistance offered letter a while ago but haven't hear anything since.

anyone receive anything about applying for loans yet? I got the financial assistance offered letter a while ago but haven't hear anything since.

I was hoping one of the current students would post about that. I'm more than a little in the dark about this stuff. It seems like we're entirely on our own to figure it out. I'm pretty sure the Stafford loans are all online, but I don't know anything about the PLUS loans. I'd feel a little more comfortable about taking out 200K in loans, if somebody who knows about this stuff would walk me through it.

I'd feel a little more comfortable about taking out 200K in loans, if somebody who knows about this stuff would walk me through it.

:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :lol::lol:Wait. That's not funny. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man 200K is no joke. I am going to start saving now. Where is that piggy bank?

I called the financial aid office and was told we should expect more to do in the next few weeks when they finish the 3rd and 4th years stuff........Also,
anyone else bored out of their mind?

I called the financial aid office and was told we should expect more to do in the next few weeks when they finish the 3rd and 4th years stuff........Also,
anyone else bored out of their mind?

HELL YES I'm Bored. I think I might try to find a job or something.

I would definitely like something Miami related to do, but i can't say i am bored of hanging out with my friends/relaxing quite yet. I am sure within a few weeks I will be bored out of my mind though. It is probably better this way, by the time we start school we will be so ready to have something to do that we will hit the ground running.

I would definitely like something Miami related to do, but i can't say i am bored of hanging out with my friends/relaxing quite yet. I am sure within a few weeks I will be bored out of my mind though. It is probably better this way, by the time we start school we will be so ready to have something to do that we will hit the ground running.

I kinda wish they had a summer program or something. I would so be all over that.

amen to that...10:55 pm on a sunday night and Im studying all the intracies about chylomicron remnants and chol metabolism...yipee

seriously though enjoy the break and be well rested...med school should be an intense, rewarding and ultimately great experience for all of you

amen to that...10:55 pm on a sunday night and Im studying all the intracies about chylomicron remnants and chol metabolism...yipee

seriously though enjoy the break and be well rested...med school should be an intense, rewarding and ultimately great experience for all of you
I agree with Brian. Enjoy your free time kids. Plan a trip - you're going to be in debt anyways.

I'm jealous of your chylomicron moments, I was knee deep in death certificates.

I would love some input from an MS1 as well. I am excited about the early clinical experience, it is a huge selling point for UM@FAU.

DAMN WALLY you're blinding me with all of that BRIGHT (ben) BLUE. :smuggrin:

NOT happy Wally NOT HAPYYYY:Ldjfa;ljfda;lsjdf.

However, you got you're first choice. So,congrats you will be an awesome doctor whereever you go.

I STILL DESPISE UF. :cool:

DAMN WALLY you're blinding me with all of that BRIGHT (ben) BLUE. :smuggrin:

NOT happy Wally NOT HAPYYYY:Ldjfa;ljfda;lsjdf.

However, you got you're first choice. So,congrats you will be an awesome doctor whereever you go.

I STILL DESPISE UF. :cool:

UM, UF, USF, and FSU all have selling points and I would love to go to all of the schools. However, the way it turns out is that, given the option, people will choose the school they go to based on personal experiences, which is what I did. UF makes more sense for me. Never will I say it that UF is a "better" school. For that matter I will never say that any school is "better" than any other school. What I will say however, is that UF is better for ME.

Now let's go out and get some beers tonight.

does anyone know how we get season footbalol tickets...do we get the student discount?

Yes at the beginning of each school year you will have the option to pay I think around $50 for tickets to all the games. Then you just slide your ID through the reader at the game. Hopefully they will be worth watching this year.

Yes at the beginning of each school year you will have the option to pay I think around $50 for tickets to all the games. Then you just slide your ID through the reader at the game. Hopefully they will be worth watching this year.

I have a "feeling" they are going to be a damned good team this year. Pshhh, I mean I gonna be a cane and that is all they were waiting for.

How much does the "average" med student at UM typically spend on books in the first and second year?

Hello everyone, I was recently accepted and need to make a big decision soon. I was hoping someone can help me with some questions I had on UM.

I went online but couldn't find out the exact information I was looking for regarding the curriculum.

Do we take take more than one class at at time and if so study for various tests at the same time or is it one class at a time.

I heard that exams are every two weeks, but does anyone know if they are on fridays or mondays?

Any idea on what a typical week is like for first year.

Thanks if advance if anyone can help me answer these questions.

Hello everyone, I was recently accepted and need to make a big decision soon. I was hoping someone can help me with some questions I had on UM.

I went online but couldn't find out the exact information I was looking for regarding the curriculum.

Do we take take more than one class at at time and if so study for various tests at the same time or is it one class at a time.

I heard that exams are every two weeks, but does anyone know if they are on fridays or mondays?

Any idea on what a typical week is like for first year.

Thanks if advance if anyone can help me answer these questions.

Hi Gigi...

1st off congrats on getting in!

To answer your questions:

Do we take more than 1 class at a time? Technically, you only take 2 classes at a time...Doctoring and something else...

For example, right now we are taking an 8 week cardiovascular module and Doctoring that runs throughout the entire year...thats it...once you finish that, you move on to, say, pulmonary and doctoring...you really only need to prepare for 1 test...a HUGE midterm covering 1/2 of the module legnth (i.e since the cardio module is 8 weeks long, each midterm is 4 weeks apart)...i like it a lot because you can focus all your attention on one subject and master it cold

tests are sometimes on fridays, sometimes on mondays but tend to be on mondays, giving you the entire weekend to study

depending on the module legnth, one can have a test every 2 weeks to every 4 weeks

typical week is 9-12 lecture, sometimes until 2 if your unlucky but during anatomy, all bets are off

last but not least, always remember that UM is the best medical school in the world and you should def come here

that is all.

Hi Gigi...

1st off congrats on getting in!

To answer your questions:

Do we take more than 1 class at a time? Technically, you only take 2 classes at a time...Doctoring and something else...

For example, right now we are taking an 8 week cardiovascular module and Doctoring that runs throughout the entire year...thats it...once you finish that, you move on to, say, pulmonary and doctoring...you really only need to prepare for 1 test...a HUGE midterm covering 1/2 of the module legnth (i.e since the cardio module is 8 weeks long, each midterm is 4 weeks apart)...i like it a lot because you can focus all your attention on one subject and master it cold

tests are sometimes on fridays, sometimes on mondays but tend to be on mondays, giving you the entire weekend to study

depending on the module legnth, one can have a test every 2 weeks to every 4 weeks

typical week is 9-12 lecture, sometimes until 2 if your unlucky but during anatomy, all bets are off

last but not least, always remember that UM is the best medical school in the world and you should def come here

that is all.

Brian! Glad to see you are doing well. I'll be seeing you again in about a couple of months. :)

Not quite. During the first semester students will take multiple subjects at the same time. For example, you will study biochemistry, genetics, and cellular biology all for the same test.