University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, the more I read the brochure http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtMX&2MxfEEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666---- the more I want this thing. I just sent a couple Prof's the link to the free 3000 3M is giving to medical schools. UM hasn't got one yet.

The part I really like about this is the read out you can do right on your mobile PDA phone. After shadowing an electrophysicologist for 6 months I would have a ball with this thing. What I think Docs really like best about this is the ambient noise reduction.

Check it out.

Mediawebserver_Page_2.jpg

Mediawebserver_Page_3.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

That is a really cool looking gadget. I am a big fan of technology, but I am going to stick with the basics right now. If you end up getting it, let us know how you / other people like it.

What is the purpose of the academic societies asking us to list three specialties that we are interested in ? Is there a selection process for the academic societies or is it completely random?

That is a really cool looking gadget. I am a big fan of technology, but I am going to stick with the basics right now. If you end up getting it, let us know how you / other people like it.

What is the purpose of the academic societies asking us to list three specialties that we are interested in ? Is there a selection process for the academic societies or is it completely random?

LOL, I want it but that price tag. What other hardware do we have to buy.

Oh yea about those societies. Never did get that sheet. I dunno about buying that success package. I mean all I really need from it is the dissection kit. How much can that be?

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL, I want it but that price tag. What other hardware do we have to buy.

Oh yea about those societies. Never did get that sheet. I dunno about buying that success package. I mean all I really need from it is the dissection kit. How much can that be?

$23.50 on steeles.com, $20 on allheart.com. I'm not sure which instruments we specifically need though...

$23.50 on steeles.com, $20 on allheart.com. I'm not sure which instruments we specifically need though...

Thanks, I can't justify spending 70 dollars for scrubs and disection kit that would cost me 30 to 40 bucks on my own.

Last edited:
What lenders are you using for your Federal Stafford loans? I spoke with some people and most use Sallie Mae, and they have no complaints about them.

I look at different banks' website, and I notice they have loan limits. For example, Citibank's loan limit is $20,500. I don't understand this since the amount students are eligible for is significantly higher than this.

Last edited:
i received another correspondence in the mail today....orientation begins Aug. 7th at 8:30am in the Rosenstiel Building. It says dress is professional casual...what exactly does that mean to you all?
No Jeans....slacks and a polo that you can tuck in or a button down. No tie necessary.

What lenders are you using for your Federal Stafford loans? I spoke with some people and most use Sallie Mae, and they have no complaints about them.

I look at different banks' website, and I notice they have loan limits. For example, Citibank's loan limit is $20,500. I don't understand this since the amount students are eligible for is significantly higher than this.

I believe that they will loan you up to the amount that your school allows you to take for whichever loan you are speaking about. E.X For federal stafford you are eligible for 40500...through citi bank you can take that much. My loan info has already been processed using citi and i took more then 20500.

I believe that they will loan you up to the amount that your school allows you to take for whichever loan you are speaking about. E.X For federal stafford you are eligible for 40500...through citi bank you can take that much. My loan info has already been processed using citi and i took more then 20500.

I used Citi too. I am a little pissed about something. apparently I didn't realize Citi would hit with a default fee and from what I understand Sally doesn't do that. With that said Citi has better back end discounts when you actually go to repay the loan. I don't know what made the decision for you gold? I am calling tomorrow to get super clarification. But man would it hurt for someone to put together a damned comparison, xmas you could get the lender to do it per a form, and post it for us to have an upfront comparison. This is 100's of dollars we are talking about here.

I will let you know what I come up with.

I called the school financial aid department today and the 1% fee is because of who UM uses as the gaurantor for the loan so yea that fee is pretty much going to be standard. Perhaps there is one out there that doesn't have the fee but I have to find one. Most of the loans are guaruteed by USA Funds.

Here is a spread sheet I have put together to at least give proper choices on what we have available. I think Discover is best now!!!

DISCOVER STUDENT LOAN (831312)
http://www.discoverstudentloans.com/student/grad-student.aspx
1(877) 728-3030
For UMMSM:
Guarantor = Great Lakes #755 (0% origination & 0% Default Fee & 0% early pay fee)
.25% Percent interest rate reduction on auto debit reward at time of repayment***Use University of Miami School of Medicine (00153602) & not the at FAU even if you're at FAU ending in 615
***Seems to be the best choice!

CITIBANK N.A. or CITIBANK STUDENT LOAN (826878)
1(800) STUDENT
For UMMSM:
Guarantor = USA Funds (1% origination fee & 1% default fee)
.50% Interest rate reduction as soon as repayment starts + .25% Interest rate reduction when using automatic repayment called EZPay. In total a .75% interest rate reduction during repayment at time of repayment.

Wachovia Education Finance (811323)
1(877) 689-0763
For UMMSM:
Guarantor = Great Lakes Higher Education (1% origination fee & 1% default fee)
.25% percent Interest rate reduction on auto repayment at time of repayment

SOUTHWEST STUDENT SERVICES TRUST (830630)
1(800) 367-2369
For UMMSM:
.25% Percent Interest rate reduction on Auto repayment at time of repayment

NELNET SUPER LOAN (831300)
1(877) 804-3603
For UMMSM:
Guarantor = USA Funds (3% origination fee & 1% default fee) yea not a mistake

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The companies that Laura recommended me on the phone are:

1. Sallie Mae
2. Citibank
3. Access Group
4. EdAmerica
5. Fifth third bank

The companies that Laura recommended me on the phone are:

1. Sallie Mae
2. Citibank
3. Access Group
4. EdAmerica
5. Fifth third bank

Who is Laura. And honestly there is no difference in most of them. For example Sallie Mae really doesn't do anything special. i.e. I should have added them, I will, and they just have the 1% origination fee & 1% Default fee and a .25% discount. I mean the 6.8% fixed rate is fixed so there is no way that is going to matter. That is why I am giving Citibank the two thumbs up because they are offering the biggest back end discount. From the face of it it looks good but who knows.

When I called financial aid and started to crunch numbers they honestly had nothing in the world to tell me other than call the lenders so I did. The other part about it that ticks me off is the default fee. That is on UM not the lender. Meaning that if UM used someone else to guarantee the loan then perhaps we wouldn't get stuck with that 1% default fee which comes out to be like 400 bucks. <<<That is a car payment or something. Like a Steth, two scrubs, a dissection kit, and or the 4100WS ;-)

P.S. if you can give me the details of the other lenders (besides salliemae) to add to my spread sheet I will add it to the spread sheet.

Who is Laura. And honestly there is no difference in most of them. For example Sallie Mae really doesn't do anything special. i.e. I should have added them, I will, and they just have the 1% origination fee & 1% Default fee and a .25% discount. I mean the 6.8% fixed rate is fixed so there is no way that is going to matter. That is why I am giving Citibank the two thumbs up because they are offering the biggest back end discount. From the face of it it looks good but who knows.

When I called financial aid and started to crunch numbers they honestly had nothing in the world to tell me other than call the lenders so I did. The other part about it that ticks me off is the default fee. That is on UM not the lender. Meaning that if UM used someone else to guarantee the loan then perhaps we wouldn't get stuck with that 1% default fee which comes out to be like 400 bucks. <<<That is a car payment or something. Like a Steth, two scrubs, a dissection kit, and or the 4100WS ;-)

P.S. if you can give me the details of the other lenders (besides salliemae) to add to my spread sheet I will add it to the spread sheet.
Laura Kaspersky. Dean of Financial Aid at UM.

She told me basically what you said. I could basically put them in a hat and pick one.

Of course then we have this:

http://www.discoverstudentloans.com/student/grad-student.aspx

Yeah, but I would be wary. I was going to call UM tomorrow to see if any students ever use this. Is there some kind of catch? It is kind of strange that every company is basically the same fee-wise and then we have this one.

I am calling right now and filling out the application. This is like 800 dollars in savings. NOW. But I have to weigh out how big of a savings the citi wll be later.

I filled out the application and it took 10 minutes. Discover is an Awesome company so I will have no qualms taking a loan from them. I am sorry but 800$ is a lot of freaking money in one year. I think that my plan will be to take discover for 1 or 2 years and then perhaps switch to Citi because the higher discount at .75% is going to be way better in the long run and by then I won't have book fees and uncertainties like we are going to have our first year or two.

I am going to call Citi tomorrow and see EXACTLY how it works I don't know right now I have two loans in the system, LOL, so I will just cancel one.

P.S. All you need for the Discover loan is to fill it out online or over the phone (that's what I did) and to Esign your MPN you just need your FAFSA pin.

Thanks GREG hopefully this works out. They did have Miami in the system to choose from and verified people do take this loan so thanks it saved me a G!

I filled out the application and it took 10 minutes. Discover is an Awesome company so I will have no qualms taking a loan from them. I am sorry but 800$ is a lot of freaking money in one year. I think that my plan will be to take discover for 1 or 2 years and then perhaps switch to Citi because the higher discount at .75% is going to be way better in the long run and by then I won't have book fees and uncertainties like we are going to have our first year or two.

I am going to call Citi tomorrow and see EXACTLY how it works I don't know right now I have two loans in the system, LOL, so I will just cancel one.

P.S. All you need for the Discover loan is to fill it out online or over the phone (that's what I did) and to Esign your MPN you just need your FAFSA pin.

Thanks GREG hopefully this works out. They did have Miami in the system to choose from and verified people do take this loan so thanks it saved me a G!

If I already submitted a stafford loan request via Sallie Mae, would I just be able to cancel it? That Discover loan sounds awesome...

If I already submitted a stafford loan request via Sallie Mae, would I just be able to cancel it? That Discover loan sounds awesome...

Yes here are the instructions per Laura and the financial aid department.

1***First call discover ( I am going re-release the contact information spreadsheet above and below this thread) and set up your loan. BE SURE not to USE THE @ FAU option <<I did and it is wrong and they had to fix it; I don't know why that was even in there. you'll see what I mean. Be aware you'll need your FAFSA PIN to complete and sign the MPN.

2***Send an email to [email protected]
with the MPN that you download to your desktop attach it to the email. Make sure it is the Esigned one that will be in your email or your account once the loan information is completed with Discover. I named mine MPNFormMYNAMEHERE.pdf

Include in the email you are changing from XYZ Lender to Discover.

3***Have Discover fax the certification form to UMMSM Fin Aid department. FAX Number is 305-243-8398.

That should be about it. Remember if you are not switching your loan just skip step 2. Otherwise if you are changing do all 3 steps.

Hope this helps. Yea, for those of you reading this and wondering why we are making a big deal about it. Saving 2% on 40K is 800 bucks and to me is worth it this year. I do have to say that the savings in the back end with the .75% that Citi is offering is in all likely-hood better in the long run after you start repaying the loan but in reality a probable minute diff that I would rather take the money upfront now. Lastly, Discover still does do the .25% autopay discount.

Here is a spread sheet I have put together to at least give proper choices on what we have available. I think Discover is best now!!!

DISCOVER STUDENT LOAN (831312)
http://www.discoverstudentloans.com/...d-student.aspx
1(877) 728-3030
For UMMSM:
Guarantor = Great Lakes #755 (0% origination & 0% Default Fee & 0% early pay fee)
.25% Percent interest rate reduction on auto debit reward at time of repayment***Use University of Miami School of Medicine (00153602) & not the at FAU even if you're at FAU ending in 615
***Seems to be the best choice!

CITIBANK N.A. or CITIBANK STUDENT LOAN (826878)
1(800) STUDENT
For UMMSM:
.50% Interest rate reduction as soon as repayment starts + .25% Interest rate reduction when using automatic repayment called EZPay. In total a .75% interest rate reduction during repayment at time of repayment.

Wachovia Education Finance (811323)
1(877) 689-0763
For UMMSM:
Guarantor = Great Lakes Higher Education (1% origination fee & 1% default fee)
.25% percent Interest rate reduction on auto repayment at time of repayment

SOUTHWEST STUDENT SERVICES TRUST (830630)
1(800) 367-2369
For UMMSM:

NELNET SUPER LOAN (831300)
1(877) 804-3603
For UMMSM:
Guarantor = USA Funds (3% origination fee & 1% default fee) yea not a mistake

Last edited:
Right now I am leaning towards Citibank mostly to choose a trustworthy source that UM deals with more often to make things smooth. I spoke with Financial Aid again and Laura told me that she had two other students take the loan from Discover and that it is the first she had heard about them in terms of loans. She didn't know who the guarentor was. I am not taking that big of a loan out (I have other Aid) anyways. Also, I like how they take care of the last 6 months of payments assuming you do the rest correctly.

Last edited:
Right now I am leaning towards Citibank mostly to choose a trustworthy source that UM deals with more often to make things smooth. I spoke with Financial Aid again and Laura told me that she had two other students take the loan from Discover and that it is the first she had heard about them in terms of loans. She didn't know who the guarentor was. I am not taking that big of a loan out (I have other Aid) anyways. Also, I like how they take care of the last 6 months of payments assuming you do the rest correctly.

The Guarantor is Great Lakes which another bank actually uses them also. LOL, what is this last 6 months payment thing? Now that seems interesting. But in all Discover is an Awesome company that isn't going anywhere in fact these loans will probably be purchased and or consolidated down the road anyway. So for me I am whoring out my loyalty to the lowest fees. But again what is the 6 month deal that seems super interesting.

I think I will stick with the Discover because I could probably use the 800 bucks upfront now and then perhaps in year 3 and 4 where expenses won't be that great I could switch to the Citi deal.

Laura also said that last year they no banks had these Fees. Damn it huh. What a difference a year makes. The Citi deal would have really been excellent then.

Have all the miami people found a place to live yet? Anyone within walking distance of mary brickell village?

Just called Discover and they told me that the maximum stafford loan amount is $20,500...which is not enough. I told them that the maximum we're allowed to take out per year is $40,500 (with $8500 subsidized stafford) and they didn't know anything about that...

Just called Discover and they told me that the maximum stafford loan amount is $20,500...which is not enough. I told them that the maximum we're allowed to take out per year is $40,500 (with $8500 subsidized stafford) and they didn't know anything about that...

I think that is a general mistake/missunderstand of when and how it is done. A few lenders have said that. But I think what it is just how they say it. Let me confirm.

I just spoke to Laura who said that the $20,500 limit is absolutely incorrect. The person I spoke to at Discover apparently didn't know what she was talking about. I dunno...sounds like a red flag to me. Laura was also very skeptical of Discover being able to maintain their 0% fees, as no other lender has that.

Just called Discover. Ok here is the issue with that and why lenders say 20500 all the time. It is graduate program dependent. Meaning for some or most grad schools the figure of 20K is correct. Our graduate medical program actually requires, thus approves, more than that. I think that is where the confusion comes. So, for our case the UMMSM fin aid department allots us 40,500 and approves us for whatever amount we need from that based on our situation.

Point to take away, Discover or any lender we find will approve the amount our financial aid department tells them. Discover did confirm/tell me this so call back and just explain you are a medical student.

*** LOL maintain. No that is the offer. Don't forget we have to do this each and every year. So if another bank is better next year than I will go with them. This isn't a feel good thing this is straight money. Once they pay your money to the school and cut your refund check that's it. You have your money and the terms are in stone. Laura being skeptical about Discover? I am actually skeptical why the department only told us about loans that are 2% fees on all of them and not other choices such as Discover.

Lets not forget Discover is the Discover credit card company that has been in existence for forever. They give cash back deals and rewards on their cards for as long as I remember. So the fact they are eating this 2% fee isn't a problem for me whatsoever.

Lastly, the 1% default fee isn't really the lenders fault. It is who the school/lender uses as the guarantor for the loan that charges that silly fee that is NEW and I don't know what the hell it is for XMAS sakes. It is like the economy is bad and people are defaulting on loans so lets CHARGE ya and make you pay a default fee. WTH? Anyways that is another conversation.

Again, call discover back and they should explain it correctly this time. Give them a chance they are new to the student lending arena and Laura didn't express a concern to me so I don't want to be scaring someone about something that is as simple as this is i.e. an 800 dollar savings.

Last edited:
Yea, I've been looking around and on the discover site it definitely says that $20,500 is the limit. WTF? I think I am just going to go with Citibank for the stafford loan. Does anyone else have to take out some private loans? Because I do and I don't think I want to use the grad plus loan at 8.5% interest rate and a 3% origination fee. Any ideas on private lenders?

Yea, I've been looking around and on the discover site it definitely says that $20,500 is the limit. WTF? I think I am just going to go with Citibank for the stafford loan. Does anyone else have to take out some private loans? Because I do and I don't think I want to use the grad plus loan at 8.5% interest rate and a 3% origination fee. Any ideas on private lenders?

https://web.da-us.citibank.com/cgi-...BS_Id=FederalStaffordLoans&BV_UseBVCookie=yes

Citibank says the same thing. Laura told me this limit does not apply to health schools. And Citibank has been doing loans for years and directly deals with UMiami. So for sure they will give you the full $40,500 if needed.

Hey everyone. Let me give you all the final word on this. LOL, I was financial advisor for 6 years so sorry I am anal about money situations.

Discover is new to the student lending arena. NEVERTHELESS, they are a really great company; I am sure that we all are familiar with the Discover card.

With that said, they didn't realize (meaning their customer service reps) that loan amounts are different for certain professional programs such as medical, dental, and other health related schools. Still the situation is the same, you fill out the application and sign the MPN and our school, UM, is faxed a certification form that is filled out by our fin aid and sent back to ANY LENDER that works with our school and fulfills the terms and loan amount. This isn't a Discover thing or financial aid department thing this is a FAFSA federal government thing so, rest assured whomever you get your loan through just pay attention to the terms and conditions and go with what you think is best.

Discover being new to student lending has really no bearing on how effective or "worth it" the loan will end up being. In fairness to the FinAid department they didn't have to deal with this last year because the 2% fees including origination and default fee didn't come up last year so it wasn't an issue. But rest assured if Discover is better again next year I will take them and if someone else is then I will take them instead.

In summary, if you are interested in the loan just follow the instructions I set forth above and fill out the information with Discover. Let our finaid department worry about the loan amount i.e. it will be the 40,500$ if that is what you are approved for.

As for Discover getting their information straight let them work out their miss-information and call them now as they should have it worked out. LOL, my roommate thought it was hilarious I actually called a company and had to correct them! When I did call they apologized they were giving out the wrong information and are going to e-mail me something for you guys to have to be assured the situation is all good.

The final thing is my loan was approved from Discover/UM and is being disbursed to UM on July 29th in the amount I was approved for. :thumbup: Cheers!!!

Sorry for the Rant but I want to make sure you guys know the best deals and know what you are getting into.

Do you think that the new "Netters Anatomy Flash Cards" for the iphone will be of any value studying on the go? It cost 40$ so i don't really want to buy it if i am not going to use them. Any opinions? You can check it out on the itunes app store.

Do you think that the new "Netters Anatomy Flash Cards" for the iphone will be of any value studying on the go? It cost 40$ so i don't really want to buy it if i am not going to use them. Any opinions? You can check it out on the itunes app store.

I think it would for sure help but who knows. I have a PDA WM6 phone. I know as far as programs go there are great ones such as medical dictionaries and calenders and lots of things.

I took an anatomy course as an undergrad and those flashcards are awesome! I highly recommend them. Much better than the atlas (as there are FAR better anatomy atlases than Netter IMO...)

Hey everyone. Let me give you all the final word on this. LOL, I was financial advisor for 6 years so sorry I am anal about money situations.

Discover is new to the student lending arena. NEVERTHELESS, they are a really great company; I am sure that we all are familiar with the Discover card.

With that said, they didn't realize (meaning their customer service reps) that loan amounts are different for certain professional programs such as medical, dental, and other health related schools. Still the situation is the same, you fill out the application and sign the MPN and our school, UM, is faxed a certification form that is filled out by our fin aid and sent back to ANY LENDER that works with our school and fulfills the terms and loan amount. This isn't a Discover thing or financial aid department thing this is a FAFSA federal government thing so, rest assured whomever you get your loan through just pay attention to the terms and conditions and go with what you think is best.

Discover being new to student lending has really no bearing on how effective or "worth it" the loan will end up being. In fairness to the FinAid department they didn't have to deal with this last year because the 2% fees including origination and default fee didn't come up last year so it wasn't an issue. But rest assured if Discover is better again next year I will take them and if someone else is then I will take them instead.

In summary, if you are interested in the loan just follow the instructions I set forth above and fill out the information with Discover. Let our finaid department worry about the loan amount i.e. it will be the 40,500$ if that is what you are approved for.

As for Discover getting their information straight let them work out their miss-information and call them now as they should have it worked out. LOL, my roommate thought it was hilarious I actually called a company and had to correct them! When I did call they apologized they were giving out the wrong information and are going to e-mail me something for you guys to have to be assured the situation is all good.

The final thing is my loan was approved from Discover/UM and is being disbursed to UM on July 29th in the amount I was approved for. :thumbup: Cheers!!!

Sorry for the Rant but I want to make sure you guys know the best deals and know what you are getting into.

Thanks a lot axlaxl1 for the awesome advice, and Greg for pointing out this awesome lender!

Glad I can help you guys. If you go many floors down to the "Financial Aid" forum in this site it has more information. This is where I found out about the Discover loan. I know you guys taking the full amount need all the money you can get. :)

I may go Citibank because of their experience and also I get the impression that they are very flexible in terms of repayment. Sallie Mae is infamous for being horrible to people having a hard time repaying loans.

Hey, just wanted to say thanx to axl and greg for the help with loan, I was clueless up until today on what to do. As for me, I think I am going with the citibank loan only because although $800 now sounds awesome, i kno I'm going to be hurting even more in the future. Thanks for the advice on the grad plus loan too axl.

Glad I can help you guys. If you go many floors down to the "Financial Aid" forum in this site it has more information. This is where I found out about the Discover loan. I know you guys taking the full amount need all the money you can get. :)

I may go Citibank because of their experience and also I get the impression that they are very flexible in terms of repayment. Sallie Mae is infamous for being horrible to people having a hard time repaying loans.

Wow, there's a lot of doom and gloom on those financial aid forums about not trusting what any of the lenders say about interest rate reduction (check out the "Choosing a Stafford loan lender" thread)... Apparently, the percentages are subject to change at a moment's notice, so by the time we would be paying off these loans, there's a pretty fair chance that the lender will not honor their stated IRR. It also wouldn't be considered a breach of contract because the MPN we sign wouldn't have any of these "incentives" on it. :-(

Damn, lender shopping sucks...

Wow, there's a lot of doom and gloom on those financial aid forums about not trusting what any of the lenders say about interest rate reduction (check out the "Choosing a Stafford loan lender" thread)... Apparently, the percentages are subject to change at a moment's notice, so by the time we would be paying off these loans, there's a pretty fair chance that the lender will not honor their stated IRR. It also wouldn't be considered a breach of contract because the MPN we sign wouldn't have any of these "incentives" on it. :-(

Damn, lender shopping sucks...

I hear ya. I am just glad you all have a more educated decision that is what is most important. Personally, I think this should have been provided to us but hey we our grown up and we have SDN, LOL, so in the end we have always worked it out right?

*** I included my Discover statement to show anyone that is still worried about perhaps choosing Discover. Yea but thanks Greg I just might be able to get that 4100ws now :p

Discover Student Loans
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Contact Us | Exit .

Summary | Edit My Profile | References/Cosigner
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Application Detail.​

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Name: .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]AXLAXL1 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Application Type:. [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Stafford .
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Note: All date fields are in mm/dd/yyyy format..

Application Information[FONT=Arial, Verdana]School:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]00153602 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI - SCHOOL OF MEDICINE .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Req Amt:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]999,999.00(pending school certification) .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Loan Period:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana] 8/8/2008 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]to 6/5/2009 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]UID:. [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Cost:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]0.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Serial Loan:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]S .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Use:. [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Fin Aid:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]0.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Enrollment:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]FULL-TIME .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Grad Date:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]5/18/2012 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Cost - Aid:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]0.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Grade Level:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]A - 1ST YEAR (GRADUATE A) .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Processing Type:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]PG .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Sub Amt: .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]8,500.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Cosigned:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]No .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Credit Bureau:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Unsub Amt:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]29,433.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Approved:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]0.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Cert Date:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]7/10/2008 .

********************* Yeaaaaa!!! As of this morning the whole thing is finished and NO FEES. Very Nice! Greg I owe you lunch man.

Last edited:
Where are the best places to purchase furnitures? Places for used couches and things?

Ikea is so far away! Office depot? target?

Where are the best places to purchase furnitures? Places for used couches and things?

LOL, find the odd store in this listing. Office Depot maybe? JK.

IKEA IKEA IKEA. I mean they do deliever so it is not a big deal I wouldn't think. But if you are talking about Miami then I would say El Darado and City Furniture are well known. But used furniture. Craigs List. Why not. Oh and p.s. don't forget about your commercialized follow the young crowd rooms to go!

Thrift Shops like Salvation army are very good places to get some decent used furniture for a good price.

I was on Craigs list and some of that stuff I swear is "fall of the truck specials" but it is not bad deals IMO.

I hear ya. I am just glad you all have a more educated decision that is what is most important. Personally, I think this should have been provided to us but hey we our grown up and we have SDN, LOL, so in the end we have always worked it out right?

*** I included my Discover statement to show anyone that is still worried about perhaps choosing Discover. Yea but thanks Greg I just might be able to get that 4100ws now :p

Discover Student Loans
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Contact Us | Exit .

Summary | Edit My Profile | References/Cosigner
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Application Detail.​

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Name: .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]AXLAXL1 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Application Type:. [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Stafford .
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Note: All date fields are in mm/dd/yyyy format..

Application Information[FONT=Arial, Verdana]School:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]00153602 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI - SCHOOL OF MEDICINE .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Req Amt:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]999,999.00(pending school certification) .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Loan Period:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana] 8/8/2008 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]to 6/5/2009 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]UID:. [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Cost:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]0.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Serial Loan:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]S .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Use:. [FONT=Arial, Verdana]Fin Aid:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]0.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Enrollment:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]FULL-TIME .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Grad Date:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]5/18/2012 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Cost - Aid:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]0.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Grade Level:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]A - 1ST YEAR (GRADUATE A) .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Processing Type:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]PG .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Sub Amt: .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]8,500.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Cosigned:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]No .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Credit Bureau:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Unsub Amt:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]29,433.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Approved:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]0.00 .[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Cert Date:.[FONT=Arial, Verdana]7/10/2008 .

********************* Yeaaaaa!!! As of this morning the whole thing is finished and NO FEES. Very Nice! Greg I owe you lunch man.

Thanks axl. :)

I been talking to my mom, and we agree that the Discover loan will probably be the better idea right now because the rear-end (without a better choice of words) fees are subject to change. So, 4 years from now, they could change! So I may very well take my own advice. :D

Hey, sorry to get back to the loans again but I have a question. Did anyone ask discover about when you have to start paying back the loan? Because Discover lists that it starts 6 months after graduation, where other companies list that you begin after 5 years of residency.

Hey, sorry to get back to the loans again but I have a question. Did anyone ask discover about when you have to start paying back the loan? Because Discover lists that it starts 6 months after graduation, where other companies list that you begin after 5 years of residency.

All are 6 months after graduation. That is the standard for the Federal Stafford Loan.

All are 6 months after graduation. That is the standard for the Federal Stafford Loan.

Yes, all are 6 months after graduation, that is standard. 5 years after residency that seems nice yet the accumulation of interest would be killer. However, I do believe 3 years of hardship is built into repaying your government loans and there actually might be something to the whole loan repayment after residency but that is not something for sure one would have to check and make sure.

But pretty much all these companies do is lend the money. The real rules are set in stone by the federal government. This is why interest rates, amount lent, and repayment are all the exact same. LOL, I don't know who would just loan me 160k right now for nothing but I wish.

But in all seriousness the 800 upfront is way better. It is not even really a comparison. Plus the whole back end thing like Greg was saying is subject to change.

Last edited:
Hey everybody. I just joined sdn, I will be attending UMMSM at the main campus. I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

I was wondering, what is the consensus on the medical equipment to purchase? I was planning on getting all the requested items but the Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope. Is this a mistake?

Also, does anybody know what the dress code is? I assume on regular class days we can wear shorts. During orientation? What exactly is professional casual?

One last thing. . . . I've glanced over the lectures and available materials as suggested. Are we actually expected to begin reviewing anything, or was that just to get an idea of what to expect?

Thanks for the help . . .