University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah what deuist says is true, you have multiple sections within a module during the pre-organ modules. However, once you get to organ systems (at least up til now), you only have the module to worry about

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the answers, I was hoping though that you can explain the pre-organ modules and how you study for biochem, genetics, etc for the same test. It it based on cases or disorders or what?

Then do we start the organ or system based modules in January and all of 2nd year.

Brian, do you find that it helps you to learn better with an organ based curriculum or if you had a choice would you change it to doing the 1st 10 weeks just anatomy, then 10 weeks just biochem, etc.

I also had a question about JMH. I live in Miami and have volunteered there so I can understand why everyone says the clinical experience is unparalleled. However I worry about what many Boca students told us, which is that yeah you might see unique cases but you don't get much one -on-one attention because you are struggling to see anything with all the residents, M4, etc. How true have you found this to be.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the answers, I was hoping though that you can explain the pre-organ modules and how you study for biochem, genetics, etc for the same test. It it based on cases or disorders or what?

Then do we start the organ or system based modules in January and all of 2nd year.

Brian, do you find that it helps you to learn better with an organ based curriculum or if you had a choice would you change it to doing the 1st 10 weeks just anatomy, then 10 weeks just biochem, etc.

I also had a question about JMH. I live in Miami and have volunteered there so I can understand why everyone says the clinical experience is unparalleled. However I worry about what many Boca students told us, which is that yeah you might see unique cases but you don't get much one -on-one attention because you are struggling to see anything with all the residents, M4, etc. How true have you found this to be.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Gigi,

I am sure other students can give you some input. Basically, everyone studies diffently. During MBL (which includes biochem and genetics) basically you are studying for 2 different, closely related subjects and are generally mostly responsible for the powerpoints presented in class that often tend to follow the book. If you are a book person like me, you can always use it as a reference but if you know the powerpoints you should be solid. It is a mixture of cases, disorders, metabolic pathways, etc but becomes more case intensive as you progress through the organ modules.

Yes, we start the organ modules in spring of the 1st year. You 1st have cell physio and pharm and then proceed to your 1st organ module-neuroscience

Like I said each person learns differently and what you said about several weeks learning anatomy followed by biochem is not my favorite but neccessary as an intro. I find that I learn much better in the organ modules as you basically synthesize pathophys, pathology, pharm, anatomy, biochem, etc all in 1 module hence you are forced to have a holistic view of the material and still review previous path. When you actually apply what you learned in the fall itll start to stick.

Regarding patient exposure, I am not the best resource but you do get to see some patients w/ M3-M4's and of course a big perk is that you can participate in DOCS clinics, medical missions overseas and you are basically welcome to shadow a doctor whenever you like. For example, UM is one of the only places w/ an interventional neurologist and I was able to shadow him after I told him of my interest. The fellow there (N surg) basically had me scrub in and operate some of the machinery and do other miscellaneous things during the procedure (no I didnt actually cut lol)...youd be surprised how much you learn and all the diff. opportunities that are available as an Med student at UM...

hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)

I think compared to Boca, Miami is the kind of place where you will get the most out of everything if you take an active approach to learning. You will get more than adequate clinical experience (more than you will get at most other schools if you talk to your peers), but if you want even more and the MOST access to certain extras and perks, it helps to speak up. That being said, even if you are shy, you still get a great clinical education. In all honesty, and nobody take offense, some Boca kids like to talk crap about JMH while trying to make arguments for their Boca hospitals. But the reality of the situation is that there are plenty of reasons to go to Boca and there are plenty of reasons to go to Miami for personal desires relating to both clinical/pre-clinical education environment. At the end of the day, it's everyone INDIVIDUAL and personal job to figure out what style is best for them. Both schools give you a great education, it's just a question of what you are looking for...

Is there a racquetball court at the Wellness center on campus?

I know that there are tons of them in the beautiful Coral Gables campus wellness center, which I believe we'll have access to (at least students at the Miami campus - included in our tuition). I'm not sure about the one at the Miami med campus though...but the Coral Gables campus is a relatively short distance away (20-25 minutes via metrorail).

Hey you guys! I am currently a second year (going on third) UMMSM@FAU student. I am moving out of a condo I have lived in for the past two years in West Boca Raton. The condo is owned my brother and the only reason I am moving is because I am heading down to Miami for my third year. I have had a great time living here and the cheaper rent in West Boca can't be beat.

The condo is as follows:
On the corner of SW 18th Street and Lyons Road
2/2 on the second floor, vaulted ceiling and patio.
~ 1000 square feet.
After I move out new rug and tile will be put throughout the apartment (it needs an update!)
The neighborhood is great, has a park, pool and raquetball court.
~ 20 min drive to FAU with traffic.

$1150 unfurnished / $1290 furnished

I am moving out June 15th so it should be available early July.

Let me know if you are interested or know anyone that is. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to come check out the place!

Any of you folks started to fill the Stafford loan stuff?

I know that there are tons of them in the beautiful Coral Gables campus wellness center, which I believe we'll have access to (at least students at the Miami campus - included in our tuition). I'm not sure about the one at the Miami med campus though...but the Coral Gables campus is a relatively short distance away (20-25 minutes via metrorail).

Oh wow that is awesome. I know here in Orlando, It is so hard to find a nice indoor racquetball court to play in. You ever taken the metrorail? Would it be better to get a month long metrorail pass rather then a monthly car pass?

Any of you folks started to fill the Stafford loan stuff?

Not yet, I have completed my fafsa but that is it. I am completely clueless on what else I am suppose to do. I was under the impression that we were going to be sent a packet in the next few weeks that will enlighten us on some of these issues. Have you started?

Good, you didn't get a financial aid packet yet either?

Oh wow that is awesome. I know here in Orlando, It is so hard to find a nice indoor racquetball court to play in. You ever taken the metrorail? Would it be better to get a month long metrorail pass rather then a monthly car pass?

I take it all the time. From where I live (NW Miami Dade), it's a 10 minute drive to the nearest metro station, a short wait for the train, and a 25 minute ride to the med campus (twice that for the Coral Gables campus). It beats sitting in horrible Miami traffic. A metro pass is $37.50 per month, and a metro station parking pass is $6.75 per month. You would of course be using up gas in driving to the metro station (unless you happen to live within walking distance from a station).

If you live in the South Miami/Coral Gables area (or anywhere in Miami Dade county in close proximity to SR 826) you could even just leave your car parked at the Coral Gables campus metrorail station in order to have easy access to the med campus as well as the CG campus library and wellness center.The downsides to taking the metro are:

1. There can be some pretty shady characters on the train, but as long as you keep to yourself you should be fine.

2. It runs approximately every 15 minutes, which is something to take into consideration if you are rushing to school for an exam.

3. The train only runs from 5 AM to midnight, so it probably won't be of much use to us third and fourth year.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

I spoke to one of the financial aid people (Mrs. Kasperski) last Friday about the merit scholarships and was told that as far as she knew, only the people in the UM 6 and 7 year programs have received anything in the last few weeks.

It's rather annoying that it's past May 15th and the majority of people I know of haven't received any notice on the financial aid/scholarship front...

Members don't see this ad :)

Didn't you guys receive a letter several months ago (or with your acceptance folder) telling you that you were eligible for the Stafford and Grad Plus loans? That's all I've received so far...

yea thats all I got so far too...how are you suppose to apply for loans though without knowing how much you need? I had to get a co-signer for my apt because I had no way of getting my loans in time

Another thing to add about the metrorail- unless your going to be on your cell phone for the whole ride, I wouldnt let too many people know you have a cell phone on you or else people will ask to use it, no joke. Other than that I have had no problems on the metrorail...except for occasionally when they do maintenance and shut down one side of the tracks, then the wait is about 45 minutes for a train.

yea thats all I got so far too...how are you suppose to apply for loans though without knowing how much you need? I had to get a co-signer for my apt because I had no way of getting my loans in time

Another thing to add about the metrorail- unless your going to be on your cell phone for the whole ride, I wouldnt let too many people know you have a cell phone on you or else people will ask to use it, no joke. Other than that I have had no problems on the metrorail...except for occasionally when they do maintenance and shut down one side of the tracks, then the wait is about 45 minutes for a train.

This is why I try to avoid the metrorail on the weekends, the time when they do most of the maintenance. Though its kinda neat switching tracks and stuff. Might as well just drive to the medical school on the weekends since there isn't as much traffic.

I spoke to one of the financial aid people (Mrs. Kasperski) last Friday about the merit scholarships and was told that as far as she knew, only the people in the UM 6 and 7 year programs have received anything in the last few weeks.

It's rather annoying that it's past May 15th and the majority of people I know of haven't received any notice on the financial aid/scholarship front...

Thanks for the previous response about the metro rail. I am glad to hear this news concerning the scholarships, I had lost all hope. I wonder how great your gpa/mcat or other achievments would need to be to in order to receive one of these scholarships. Did they give out all the diversity scholarships?

Nope, only on the Gables campus has raquetball (and basketball for that matter) as someone else already commented. But reciprocity between the wellness centers allows Gables to use Med and vice versa. Easy 20min Metro ride to Gables.

Now, I notice some MetroRail discussion so I'll add my .02. I've taken the Metro for the past 3 years, every day, from Dadeland area (south). I'm a big fan - no way I'll ever drive the parking lot known as US1 during rush hour. I hate hate hate Miami traffic. I suppose experiences from those who take it North could be different, but here's experiences/tips/notes, for anyone that cares:

-It actually comes every 7-8 minutes during "rush hour" (ie ~6:30-9:00am, ~4:00-6:30pm) and every 15 minutes otherwise, except on the weekends when it's 30 I believe. It's pretty darn accurate/on-time though, 95% of the time. I would drive on the weekends though because it can be unreliable due to maintenance, plus traffic is bearable.

-Personally, I've never been accosted by anyone asking to use my cell phone. Spare change? Buy a candy bar? Voter registration? Sure, every once in a blue. No different than public transport anywhere you go. Ride in the first car (with the conductor in it) if you want to feel very safe and secure

-Cost is now $1.50 per ride for the Metrorail. There is some discussion of it going up to $2 and the full price of the passes going from $75 to $100. We'll see if that passes a vote with the commissioners in a month. Note that it costs $4 per day to park at any station if you don't have the monthly hang tag parking pass, which costs a mere $6 (for the entire month), but you can ONLY get the parking pass if you buy the monthly rail pass. So, if you think you will be parking and riding multiple times, it might be smart to buy the monthly pass -- otherwise, you're going to pay out the nose for parking each and every time.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know, but just FYI :)

Is there a racquetball court at the Wellness center on campus?

Hi all, I'll be living in a house for the coming year. We're still looking for one more roommate. Just so you know, everyone who is living there so far is a guy. The location is awesome (Miami Beach), its a short ride to campus, and the house is amazing. I know I'm being a little ambiguous, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll send you more details. We really need one more person, so we can get the ball moving on the lease.

About the loans, I called about a week ago, and they told me that they were supposed to be sending out some kind of information soon. I asked when "soon" was and they said they couldn't say. I also get the impression that scholarship money is harder to come by than I first thought it was. When I asked about that, I was told that if I hadn't received anything yet, to make plans without it; reassuring huh :(?

Okay Miami folks there is only 2 months until orientation! For all of you attending Miami campus next year, if you have a facebook PM me and I'll add you. Time to meet some of my future colleagues. :)

Okay Miami folks there is only 2 months until orientation! For all of you attending Miami campus next year, if you have a facebook PM me and I'll add you. Time to meet some of my future colleagues. :)

There are two facebook groups. UM 2012 and boca 2012... I think I have added everyone.

Ok, we didn't get a second look, but damn it we will get a first look. LOL. I am calling FRIDAY or SATURDAY for us all to meet and get to know each other. BOCA AND MIAMI campuses. I have the perfect place and won't cost anybody anything and is pretty perfectly in the middle of the two campuses.

What do you all think? And who will help me plan it. I believe our first Aug 7 orientation day is a Thurs or Fri so that Friday or Saturday would be perfect.

Oh don't forget residency, transcripts and ??? are due by the 20th.

To my understanding, the majority of lectures at UM main campus are optional since they are streamed online. How frequently are mandatory activities in the first year(aside from the block with anatomy)? What percent of people do you think actually attend lecture?

To my understanding, the majority of lectures at UM main campus are optional since they are streamed online. How frequently are mandatory activities in the first year(aside from the block with anatomy)? What percent of people do you think actually attend lecture?

Hi thegold,

Yes, you are right most lectures are videotaped so that you dont need to go to class. One perk of going to class though is that they provide you with all the legnthy powerpoint slides.

Asides from anatomy, I would say that on average, you may have 1-2 mandatory activities per week like small groups or doctoring activities.

Dont know an exact number but I would say that maybe 1/2 the students attend lectures maybe more like 60-70 %. Hope this helps.

Hi thegold,

Yes, you are right most lectures are videotaped so that you dont need to go to class. One perk of going to class though is that they provide you with all the legnthy powerpoint slides.

Asides from anatomy, I would say that on average, you may have 1-2 mandatory activities per week like small groups or doctoring activities.

Dont know an exact number but I would say that maybe 1/2 the students attend lectures maybe more like 60-70 %. Hope this helps.

From what I understand as well the Boca campus is totally different. Can anyone ellaborate on that as well, such as a first year at the Boca campus? Thanks

Hi thegold,

Thanks for the informative post BrianUM. A few months ago we were given guest user/pass to login to MedEd. If I clicked on the schedule and then a class, it gave me the powerpoint, video, and audio copy of that lecture. Are those powerpoints incomplete? Do they give you the "full" powerpoint as a paper version?

Thanks for the help!
BTW just got back from miami today after finding a condo to rent off Brickell. Anyone else find a place yet?

the powerpoints on the Meded website are exactly the same as those presented in class

HOWEVER

sometimes professors change things at the last minute and the ppt in class may have additional info. Also, some powerpoints are only have pics rather than text...for those def. watch the lectures as the bulk of the info comes from lecture and is not already written on the paper

Also to add to what Brian said, a major benefit of going to class is you get the PowerPoint printed out for you (saving you the need/cost to print it). This turns out to be a lot of paper by the end of the year. I think I saved most of my stuff and by the end of first year it was easily a couple feet high.

Of course these copies are typically left around in the classroom so you can always go later that evening or the next day to pick them up.

You also get a certain number (a few hundred pages) of free printing a semester at the computer lab. Printing at the undergrad campus is free and unlimited from what I understand.

I just got off the phone with Miami admissions office. Apparently they are getting ready to send us some documents containing information on what we will need as far as instruments go for our first year. We should also receive a tuition bill some time in july. I asked when we would be receiving our financial aid and was told that it should be available for us on the first day of class.

I just got off the phone with Miami admissions office. Apparently they are getting ready to send us some documents containing information on what we will need as far as instruments go for our first year. We should also receive a tuition bill some time in july. I asked when we would be receiving our financial aid and was told that it should be available for us on the first day of class.

By financial aid do you mean just loan disbursement? And also, for students at the Miami campus (DrZeke, Brian, c/o 2011 people), what instruments (apart from a good stethoscope) do you guys think are truly necessary to get?

For right now, all you need is a good stethoscope. Trust me on that. I also had an ophthalmoscope/otoscope. Pretty sure I've only used these a handful of times. I only had these because they were a present. Wait it out. As you go through the year you may want to buy something else.

Plenty of people in my class bought everything they could find/thought they would need. Definitely are regretting spending the money on that now.

For right now, all you need is a good stethoscope. Trust me on that. I also had an ophthalmoscope/otoscope. Pretty sure I've only used these a handful of times. I only had these because they were a present. Wait it out. As you go through the year you may want to buy something else.

Plenty of people in my class bought everything they could find/thought they would need. Definitely are regretting spending the money on that now.

Thanks latitude! Any particular stethoscope recommendations?

I have the Littmann Cardiology III. It's very good...definitely can hear everything I need to. I also got my name engraved on it....stethoscopes sometimes like to go missing. :)

It was a gift but here is a good website to buy it from. It lets you personalize it with your name and they have excellent prices. Just recently bought another stethoscope from there. (Don't worry, my original didn't break.)

http://allheart.com/31273134.html

By financial aid do you mean just loan disbursement? And also, for students at the Miami campus (DrZeke, Brian, c/o 2011 people), what instruments (apart from a good stethoscope) do you guys think are truly necessary to get?

Yes, I just meant loan disbursement.

I have the Littmann Cardiology III. It's very good...definitely can hear everything I need to. I also got my name engraved on it....stethoscopes sometimes like to go missing. :)

It was a gift but here is a good website to buy it from. It lets you personalize it with your name and they have excellent prices. Just recently bought another stethoscope from there. (Don't worry, my original didn't break.)

http://allheart.com/31273134.html

Do you have a preference on the short (22 inch) or long (27 inch)? My sister bought me the 22 inch and I thought it looked a little short. Is there any reason why someone would prefer a shorter stethoscope?

To tell you the truth I'm not sure. I believe mine in the 27 inch one. I'll check when I get back into my car where it is. The only reason I can think of a smaller one is if you are shorter?? Just a guess.

I also checked and the new one I ordered was 28 inch.

Basically if you think it's too small, it may be. Otherwise just keep it and try it out, or if possible exchange it. You could always go to a medical supply store and "try them on" for size.

The Littman Cardio III is certainly the most popular model, but if you want to really hear everything, consider getting the Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite. I've tried both and much prefer the WA. Not only is the sound better, but the ear pieces are movable and the tips are interchangeable, making the stethoscope very comfortable. Also, the head is a screw-on diaphragm. I can change to a pediatric scope in a matter of seconds. You won't find these benefits on the Littman.

The Littman Cardio III is certainly the most popular model, but if you want to really hear everything, consider getting the Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite. I've tried both and much prefer the WA. Not only is the sound better, but the ear pieces are movable and the tips are interchangeable, making the stethoscope very comfortable. Also, the head is a screw-on diaphragm. I can change to a pediatric scope in a matter of seconds. You won't find these benefits on the Littman.

Thanks Deuist! I read some more about it, and decided the Harvey Elite was the stethoscope for me. I found a great price too at steeles.com (with a student discount - a free accessory kit).

hey guys, congrats on getting into um and good luck this year
i'm a third year at um med and i live in a 2/2 in brickell. i'm trying to find someone who'd like to move into my place before august 1st. if you're interested, please e-mail rajamohan82 at gmail dot com

thank you for your insight deuist. Aside from our florida residency forms and the 100$ deposit(due a few weeks ago), is there any other forms due? As far as financial aid goes, are we going to get to sit one on one with a financial aid officer and decide how much to take or will we be expected to come up with our own budget?

Other forms... proof of insurance and proof of immunizations are due at orientation. Bring a check book and your credit cards in case there are expenses that arise.

Since I'm on the military scholarship, I don't have much interaction with the financial aid department. Whenever I've talked to them, they've been very friendly. You can always call them to ask about a one-on-one meeting. I'm not sure what you're looking for with the budget. Most students take out the maximum in loans and still struggle to pay for everything.

Other forms... proof of insurance and proof of immunizations are due at orientation. Bring a check book and your credit cards in case there are expenses that arise.

Since I'm on the military scholarship, I don't have much interaction with the financial aid department. Whenever I've talked to them, they've been very friendly. You can always call them to ask about a one-on-one meeting. I'm not sure what you're looking for with the budget. Most students take out the maximum in loans and still struggle to pay for everything.

Really, is seems like so much money to be struggling with. 20+K seems to be a lot to live off of for one year? Not lavish in no means but not the worst situation in any means either. And if you consider that it is not taxed it probably equals out to be like 30K a year in salary terms.

I guess a good question is, do expenses come up such as out of country trips or others situations that are expensive and one might not think about?

I was actually thinking of getting a motorcycle again for coming to class. Gas prices sure the hell suck. Anybody here ride?

Last edited:
After paying $1000 a month for rent, $100 a week for food, money for gas, car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, books, medical equipment, and yes, even trips abroad, you will burn through $20,000 very quickly.

After paying $1000 a month for rent, $100 a week for food, money for gas, car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, books, medical equipment, and yes, even trips abroad, you will burn through $20,000 very quickly.

Wow, 1000 a month for rent. Yep that is it. I actually thought about living on my own, I am tired of the frat house situation. Do you live on your own or is that with a roommate?

I live on my own. There are certainly cheaper places to live in the city, but this ain't yer frat house anymore.

good point. But I am gonna wait till I get married. LOL, which will be never.

How about out of staters? i think I have to pay around 40k, can I get enough loans to cover that? Probably with private loans right?

Really, is seems like so much money to be struggling with. 20+K seems to be a lot to live off of for one year? Not lavish in no means but not the worst situation in any means either. And if you consider that it is not taxed it probably equals out to be like 30K a year in salary terms.

I guess a good question is, do expenses come up such as out of country trips or others situations that are expensive and one might not think about?

I was actually thinking of getting a motorcycle again for coming to class. Gas prices sure the hell suck. Anybody here ride?

Parking will also be much easier.

I have a good friend who rides his motorcycle to school every day, it scares the living daylights out of me but I am a chicken :laugh: