University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greg1184

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright future canes, Unite! :D

If you were accepted, first post here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=458017

And then introduce yourself here and discuss. Even if Miami isn't your first choice you are welcome to post here! Of course current students are very helpful too!

Anyway:
I am Greg, I am an undergrad at UM doing a 2nd degree in religious studies.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Miguel Alampay - (Georgetown '05&'08).

I have a question about UM living which those of you who went there for undergrad might be able to answer - During the interview they talked about campus housing for the medical students. Is that close to the Medical Campus or is it the graduate housing in Coral Gables?

Miguel Alampay - (Georgetown '05&'08).

I have a question about UM living which those of you who went there for undergrad might be able to answer - During the interview they talked about campus housing for the medical students. Is that close to the Medical Campus or is it the graduate housing in Coral Gables?

There is no "official" campus housing. There are two apartment buildings walking distance (i.e. on campus) from the Hospital/School called Dominion Towers and Jackson Towers. There are also houses which people split rent on that are like 5-10 mins away walking.

There are plently of options of where to live because your class will be spread out across the board. Some are in South Beach (15 min drive), some are in Brickell (either 5 min Metro or 10 min drive), or near undergrad (20 min metroride). Depends on whether you want to live downtown, near the undergrad gym and library, in an apartment, a house, etc.

Hey! Just got the good news this week! I'm still trying to decide between Boca and actual Miami...How freakin exciting is this! Go Canes!

- John

Hey! Just got the good news this week! I'm still trying to decide between Boca and actual Miami...How freakin exciting is this! Go Canes!

- John

Miami! The clinical experience WILL be worthwhile for sure. Jackson is an incredible place to learn medicine from.

- John

Take a look at the two curriculums and figure out what works best for you. The clinical experience at Jackson is bar none, but if you will be unhappy sitting in lecture everyday instead of a PBL small group for your first two years, well plenty of quality physicians never worked at Jackson.

That said I hope you come to Miami!

Yeah, I 2nd the clinical experiences...you get to see pts from the very beginning and I think the doctoring curicculum is very well organized...anatomy is a bit rough though but im sure its like that everywhere...go to Miami!

Thanks...I asked around and did more research and Miami campus is the place for me! I just told Admissions this week that I want to be down there at Jackson! So now what...i guess I find a place to live (but thats not for 6 months) ...?

I recieved interview invitations to both campuses today: Miami and Boca Raton on consecutive days. I said I would be willing to go to either campus, but I am not sure if I should go to both interviews or pick which one I like best and just go to that one. I scheduled them for March when I will already be in FL for Spring Break. Did anyone go to both? I think I am interested in general pediatrics for my future, any suggestions on which campus would be better for that? I know Miami has a children's hospital but Boca is more of a community setting, so it might be better for primary care. Also, would I stay on the Boca campus all four years? I am a little unclear on this. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

I recieved interview invitations to both campuses today: Miami and Boca Raton on consecutive days. I said I would be willing to go to either campus, but I am not sure if I should go to both interviews or pick which one I like best and just go to that one. I scheduled them for March when I will already be in FL for Spring Break. Did anyone go to both? I think I am interested in general pediatrics for my future, any suggestions on which campus would be better for that? I know Miami has a children's hospital but Boca is more of a community setting, so it might be better for primary care. Also, would I stay on the Boca campus all four years? I am a little unclear on this. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

I did not go to both interviews, but I know that now you do your clinicals up in Boca for the FAU campus.

For the purpose of clinical experience, I highly recommend the Miami campus for the sole reason of Jackson Memorial Hospital. I know this has been said often, but Jackson is just amazing. The sheer amount and variety of patients is incredible, no matter what specialty you are pursuing. Unless you prefer the small/PBL oriented setting, I would go to the Miami campus. However go to both interviews if you want.

March is kind of late for an interview. I hate to be blunt with you, but I hear that Miami fills up by december/jan. These rolling schools want to fill up the class as soon as possible. So you MIGHT be interviewing for a waitlist spot that late. You are a very strong candidate though, so if you do get on the waitlist you would get in anyway come May 15. If anything feel free to PM me.

interview nov. 19th at the miami campus!! oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo C-A-N-E-S CANES!!!!
Hopefully ill be able to join u guys real soon.. does neone know how soon after the interview miami gives u their decision?

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok let me blunt. General pediatrics is a great field (one I am interested in in fact) but is NOT very tough to get into simply based on the numbers. That makes your life a whole lot easier when deciding where to go to school since you won't have that whole "will I do better on the boards at UM or at FAU?" conundrum that comes up yearly.

So pick based on 4 factors. One, what sort of class size are you looking for? 150 or 30? Two, what type of classes would you rather have your first two years? Traditional lecture or PBL/clinical work? Three, where would you rather live? Explore both cities if you haven't already and assess where you would be happier. Personally I love Miami but I have friends from smaller towns who hate it and can't wait to leave the city (they hate the city not the school). Four, what sort of clinical experience are you looking for? If you plan to go into general pediatrics private practice you don't necessarily NEED the Jackson experience and you could have an easier time in Boca clinical years. But if you want to see crazy clinical cases and be working hard every day in clinical years think Jackson.

Just my 2 cents.

interview nov. 19th at the miami campus!! oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo C-A-N-E-S CANES!!!!
Hopefully ill be able to join u guys real soon.. does neone know how soon after the interview miami gives u their decision?

Good luck man! :luck: Hopefully you will be my colleague come next year!

Miami takes 2 and a half weeks to make a decision. Dr. Hinkley will tell you the exact date when they will let you know.

It s so hard to do school work now that I am accepted...all i can think about is how awsome it is to be going to miami. Current students: i toured that building with the work-out facility and it is bad ass! How often do 1st years get to work-out there? is it to early to start thinking about condos? How much they running over there these days? I heard there are a lot of foreclosures and property is pretty cheap (for maimi)...

Hey greg are you for sure going to miami?

Well me too! Lets get this party started then...are we the only two so far (sdn)? Maybe start like a facebook thing or something? I'm computer illiterate on sdn, but I know how to make facebook groups at least.

well if your on facebook i created a group for the c/o 2012 @ miami. Just search: University of Miami Miller School of medicine class of 2012 and it will come up. Anyone can join it...:cool:

are there any hotels u guys would recommend that are near the med campus in miami?

I drove from lake worth so i didn't stay the night...I can ask my boy tim where he stayed. I'll let you know as soon as i can get ahold of him.

he stayed at the double tree grand hotel... 1-800-653-0270. he said there is a closer place to stay but its next to the dolphin expressway and its really loud so he didn't want to stay there. Hope that helps! Good luck!

ill give em a call tommorow.. .thanks again.. neone have advice on the interviews at miami?

ill give em a call tommorow.. .thanks again.. neone have advice on the interviews at miami?

Well i guess I'll give my two cents unitil their are moore people on this thread...My advise for Miami, or any school for that matter, is to just be yourself, plain and simple. If you got an interview, your numbers are good, interviews are for the students and interviewers to gauge if you are a good fit for the school and vice versa. Its funny that all the schools I didn't prepare for and just acted myself, i got acceptances. the ones i tried to pretend to match what they were looking for didn't work out so well. the main thing is that you appreciate the city and the very very diverse population. there is no place in the United States like miami period. Boca was easier because I live 10 minutes from the campus and i have lived in palm beach for almost 5 years before i moved out to colorado for school. i pretty much just had a conversation with my interviewer because we had very much in common. But anyways, good luck! If you want more specifics just pm me and ill try to help you out the best i can. I try to come onto sdn as much as possible but im not much of a computer dude so ill try to answer anything as timley as i can...

thanks for the feedback JPAF.. cant wait for my interview!!

Everyone who has been accepted to Miami join our Facebook group. Time to start getting to know each other.

Hello everyone! I just got the news this morning, and am extremely excited as UM@Miami has always been my first choice. It's a dream come true. :love:

It's wonderful to get to be a Cane for another four years! I look forward to meeting you all! :)

Miami! The clinical experience WILL be worthwhile for sure. Jackson is an incredible place to learn medicine from.

Hmm... that's interesting. You're a pre-med and yet you're qualified to discuss the merits of Jackson over Boca. I'm the only person on this thread who attended the Boca campus for two years and am now at Jackson for clinicals. I can assure you that while you'll see some crazy **** in Miami, the medicine you learn will be no different between the two campuses. Plus, given Jackson's size, inefficiency, and residents' getting in the way, Boca is going to provide a more intimate learning environment.

Hmm... that's interesting. You're a pre-med and yet you're qualified to discuss the merits of Jackson over Boca. I'm the only person on this thread who attended the Boca campus for two years and am now at Jackson for clinicals. I can assure you that while you'll see some crazy **** in Miami, the medicine you learn will be no different between the two campuses. Plus, given Jackson's size, inefficiency, and residents' getting in the way, Boca is going to provide a more intimate learning environment.

Wow, this is uncalled for. I volunteer weekly at Jackson, more specifically Ryder Trauma Center. I know that it is an excellent place to encounter diverse group of patients. I may not have a complete picture of it like a 3rd year/4th year medical student, but I have had people, including medical students and residents, tell me about how great the clinical experience is at Jackson and how it prepares students well for residency. Just because I am a premed, doesn't mean I am ignorant to it. Nowhere did I knock Boca's school. My preference is the Miami campus, and therefore I recommended it. What is the problem? If you don't like it, then quote the person's post and recommend boca without patronizing me.

Wow, this is uncalled for. I volunteer weekly at Jackson, more specifically Ryder Trauma Center. I know that it is an excellent place to encounter diverse group of patients. I may not have a complete picture of it like a 3rd year/4th year medical student, but I have had people, including medical students and residents, tell me about how great the clinical experience is at Jackson and how it prepares students well for residency. Just because I am a premed, doesn't mean I am ignorant to it. Nowhere did I knock Boca's school. My preference is the Miami campus, and therefore I recommended it. What is the problem? If you don't like it, then quote the person's post and recommend boca without patronizing me.

It's very much called for. You list your experience at Ryder Trauma Center---probably the best part of Jackson---then tell me you have preference over a campus you've never seen. Volunteering at Ryder is substantially different than working on one of the medical floors where conditions are much worse in regard to patient population and patient care.

I also wouldn't claim that UM prepares its students better for residency than elsewhere. I'm constantly impressed by the visiting externs here who are far more experience than those of us who get lost in the shuffle between the various residents and fellows. My experiences at other hospitals demonstrate that there are attendings that can teach better and give students better experiences.

It's very much called for. You list your experience at Ryder Trauma Center---probably the best part of Jackson---then tell me you have preference over a campus you've never seen. Volunteering at Ryder is substantially different than working on one of the medical floors where conditions are much worse in regard to patient population and patient care.

I also wouldn't claim that UM prepares its students better for residency than elsewhere. I'm constantly impressed by the visiting externs here who are far more experience than those of us who get lost in the shuffle between the various residents and fellows. My experiences at other hospitals demonstrate that there are attendings that can teach better and give students better experiences.

I still don't see why you had to say that I am a premed, implying that I am ignorant. That is the only thing I complained regarding your post. I am perfectly fine with you disagreeing with me regarding which school is better. That is what this thread is for. This thread is for both campuses. Anyway, forget it and lets move on.

I am glad you enjoy the Boca campus. The most important aspect about the medical school you choose is to find a school that makes you happy, because you will be there for four years. I absolutely agree that if you prefer a more intimate, small groups setting for learning medicine then the Boca Raton campus is the ideal place. In addition, they just opened up a residence up in Boca Raton. That place is just going to get bigger and better. For me personally, I prefer the curriculum and environment of the Miami campus/Jackson, and for that reason I mention that "my preference was the Miami campus."

Regarding the clinical experience, you are right, I haven't been up to Boca. I can only say how great Jackson is in terms of clinical experience and mention what the medical students/interns/residents here tell me about Jackson specifically. So I can't comment on the clinical experience up there. I insinuated that Jackson has superior clinical experience to Boca, and for that I apologize.

How bout that...UM has its own hospital now. This Boca vs. Miami local thing...wheres the love:love: (I always wanted to use this thing and never had an opportunity) I think if anyone shares their experiences or opinions, they are just that. We are all smart enough to not be persuaded by any one single person. Please everyone if you have any information that helps us understand campuses, the school itself, etc. don't hesitate to post. Don't forget to join the facebook group for 2012 (Miami and Boca), the link is in one of my posts above. Anyone out there live in coconut grove? Good place to live?

How bout that...UM has its own hospital now. This Boca vs. Miami local thing...wheres the love:love: (I always wanted to use this thing and never had an opportunity) I think if anyone shares their experiences or opinions, they are just that. We are all smart enough to not be persuaded by any one single person. Please everyone if you have any information that helps us understand campuses, the school itself, etc. don't hesitate to post. Don't forget to join the facebook group for 2012 (Miami and Boca), the link is in one of my posts above. Anyone out there live in coconut grove? Good place to live?

Hey, I just interviewed at Miami this past monday, and the big talk was about the new hospital. :thumbup:

I know I am thinking ahead of myself, but of the two campuses I am leaning to the Boca campus as of now. I don't think there is any comparison in the US for the Jackson Memorial and University of Miami complex. But I do think there are comparisons for Boca's clinicals with other med schools in FL.

I know I will probably get some hate, but after touring at the Boca campus. I think the clinicals may be compared to UF gainesville and FSU's clinical sites. Yes, the patient diversity and population at Boca is skewed, at least it is at Boca Raton Community Hospital, but so is it at Shands Gainesville. The majority of the patients coming into shands Gainesville are from rural settings and older in age. There are some interesting cases that come into Shands, but unlike Jackson, you as a med student do not usually participate. However, Shands Jacksonville is a completely different set up and therefore is not included in discussion.

Some of the clinical sites for FSU, like Halifax Medical Center, usually have the majority of their patients that are 55+ and in the higher income brackets. This is very similar to Boca's clinical setup if not the same.

Even though I am probably alone on here leaning toward Boca's campus, I would like to let it be known that I am not being superficial in my decision. I am currently attracted to the lack of M3's, M4's, and interns at their clinical sites, so I will not be in line to observe or participate in procedures. Also, I like the emphasized problem based learning and decreased class time. I had some undergrad classes at UF which were basically PBL and I am comfortable with the setup. Also, one can do some clinicals at Jackson in your fourth year, so options are available as a student a Boca. I also want to add the professor to student ratio can't be beat, and the professors are genuinely engaged in doing all they can in helping the students to suceed, which I also saw on the Miami campus but didn't see at other schools I interviewed.

I am not trying to sell the campus; I will agree that if anybody is interested they should go see how things are set up at both campuses and then decide.

There are other things that may be considered, but I would label these as superficial. The cost of living is cheaper at Boca, and there is much less traffic. Also, I might again compare the city to gainseville, but mainly only in respect to parts of downtown, 34th street and Archer road campus neighborhoods, the neighborhoods east of Jonesville, and the Haile Plantation area. And not to the majority of Gainesville which seems to be agricultural and horse farms. So if you want to have an education in a suburban environment, like Gainesville as opposed to an urban environment like Miami, I would suggest Boca accordingly.

I lived in Palm Beach for 6 years and you are spot on with your assesment. Boca has a different culture and you'll realize what I'm talking about when you go there. You are not alone with the Boca descion...I was really considering going there. Less interns and residents to compete with=more hands on experience. Also, the professors I met at the Boca campus were awsome! (Miami campus too :)) You have much love from me because palm beach rocks...its laid back and relaxing in the sense of city living. When I went on both interviews it was put simply: If you want to be a small fish in a big pond, go to miami; if you want to be a big fish in a small pond, go to boca. For me, I chose Miami though. They just purchased their own hospital and initiated a new program called WIN, which is geared toward working closley with the military (Awsome because I am an Air Force guy)...I don't know what that means for med students but it seems cool. Additionally, I didn't want my parents breathing on top of me because they would only live 10 minutes away...so miami would give me a 50 minute buffer;). If anyone has questions about Palm Beach don't hesitate because I am an expert on clubs, bars, and life in general in the area. I only lived in North Miami as a kid so I probably will be asking a lot of questions soon...

about how ong after the interview would you say you got the acceptane? Thanks.

That can take anywhere from 2 weeks to six months. There really is no way to tell you when your letter will come in the mail.

I interviewed at both campuses on the 3rd and 4th. Dr. Hinkley told my interview group that we should hear from them by the 16th of January. He did say that the admissions committee will get together on Dec 14th but he said that we were most likely interviewing to late to be included in that group.

But I will say that if admitted, I am now leaning towards the Boca Campus.

cross your fingers for me guys.. i hear back from Dr. Hinkley this wednesday:scared: pleaseeeeeee let it be good news:thumbup:
..on another note, how bout the miami bball team, 8-0.. GO CANES!

This seems like an odd question but anyone accepted to one campus and not the other? Seems perculiar but a possibility.

Though I am not going to claim to know anymore than you do about the clinical experiences available at the various campuses of UMiami, during my interview day at UMiami at Miami the students were constantly talking about and referring to the endless clinical opportunities available at that particular campus. As clueless as we pre-meds may be, why go on the offensive on a future colleague of your alma mater for merely restating what was told to him, myself, and who knows how many others? Not cool at all dude.:thumbdown:

One thing is for certain, someone is obscuring the truth.

Though I am not going to claim to know anymore than you do about the clinical experiences available at the various campuses of UMiami, during my interview day at UMiami at Miami the students were constantly talking about and referring to the endless clinical opportunities available at that particular campus. As clueless as we pre-meds may be, why go on the offensive on a future colleague of your alma mater for merely restating what was told to him, myself, and who knows how many others? Not cool at all dude.:thumbdown:

One thing is for certain, someone is obscuring the truth.

Fo Sho...but I'm sure he was just concerned about skewed opinions. Both are great campuses and it's good to see that people are passionate about both--just another reason that UM is the best! So I'm in Colorado right now and its been snowing...get me back to FLA!:cool:

To lighten the mood... I had my interview today. I believe it went super well. :) Overall, I was impressed a lot by UM in Miami. I was actually surprised for a few reasons. Secondly, and I was just wondering this. There was a large group of us at the end and Dr. Hinkley talked a lot about the "alternative list." Is this just something he does or was this some warning to us all. LOL, for me this school is a top choice so I guess I just have to grin and wait it out but was just wondering if this was just standard speech?

In the past, 75% of interviewees have eventually been accepted---many of them from the alternate list. I don't know what the stats will be for this year, but realize that almost all deans give the alternate list speech---usually to keep panic from ensuing once most applicants get placed on the waitlist.

Lived in miami for 10 years, currently a c/o '08 cane, hoping to be a miller c/o '12 cane. Interivew for jan 18th, hopefully all goes well!