University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard anything new on the scholarship front? Are we getting close to that time at least?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything new on the scholarship front? Are we getting close to that time at least?

I got mine and let me TELL YOU something about it.

I am 100% sure that I am going to be a CANE. WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

***I do have a question thought about the scholarships. Is there a difference between the diversity scholarship and the needs based scholarship? I hate to be greedy but the more I can knock out this 30G's the better.

I think the price is more like 50 bucks...

The book they use is Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry 4th edition, which is a pretty great book. Used it in my undergrad biochem at UM. The third edition is better as it has a great summary of all of the key topics of the entire book at the end of the book, and there's not much of a difference in content.

HOLY COW. WOW, I swear to goodness that there was like a million of those books all going for .25C or .50c I am not joking. When you said 50 bucks I was like, "huh?" Went back to Amazon and saw them for 41 bucks and what not.

Wow, thanks wally for picking me up. If I see them on there again for that much I will make sure to say something.

******Found something. Here is a link to a few sites that have the second and third editions for super cheap? I mean how important and how much has biochem changed in 3 years? Give me a break. I would probably suggest picking up the thrid as you can still find it for 3-6 bucks.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Li...istry&show=dd&scoring=p&lnk=next&sa=N&start=0

****In general. I have not taken immunology or really microbiology would any of the med students suggest brushing up on that with these Lippincott's books? I feel like what the heck but I am sure the upperclasspeople will know best. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad :)
HOLY COW. WOW, I swear to goodness that there was like a million of those books all going for .25C or .50c I am not joking. When you said 50 bucks I was like, "huh?" Went back to Amazon and saw them for 41 bucks and what not.

Wow, thanks wally for picking me up. If I see them on there again for that much I will make sure to say something.

******Found something. Here is a link to a few sites that have the second and third editions for super cheap? I mean how important and how much has biochem changed in 3 years? Give me a break. I would probably suggest picking up the thrid as you can still find it for 3-6 bucks.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Li...istry&show=dd&scoring=p&lnk=next&sa=N&start=0

****In general. I have not taken immunology or really microbiology would any of the med students suggest brushing up on that with these Lippincott's books? I feel like what the heck but I am sure the upperclasspeople will know best. What do you all think?
What are you talking about, we spoke about this at the relay for life, I ALREADY GOT YOU ONE.

What are you talking about, we spoke about this at the relay for life, I ALREADY GOT YOU ONE.

LOL, I was literally saying, THANK YOU FOR PICKING ME UP ONE. I am aware we already talked about this that is why I was thanking you.

Check out the Boca thread and let me know what you think.

Oh I forgot. I have been getting PM's about the scholarship, and I sure the heck don't mind, but I have some questions so I am going to explain it here and incorporate the questions I have perhaps the upper-class people will know.

When we received an acceptance there was a link to scholarship information that was based on NEED and DIVERSITY. I think the DIVERSITY designation is silly because ok don't we all love diversity? LOL, but whatever.

So, my thought process is that they have a committee that reviews the applications and then makes a decision on whether or not I get a scholarship. On April 8th or so I received a letter dated April 3rd about receiving a scholarship form UM. I am not sure EXACTLY what the scholarship is for other than the fact I got it. This is the confusing part and where I have a questions. Meaning, is this scholarship need based or diversity based? <<<See this is why the whole diversity thing is weird lol it is like they throw it in to have the ability to give whomever a scholarship which is nice.

But, I don't know if I am still eligible for a scholarship or what? As need goes, I sure need it lol, but can I get more? I don't know. Does anyone else have a better answer for these questions. I.e. how many scholarships are offered from that diversity/need based short essay we completed after our acceptance? What is the highest amount meaning, can you have a needs based scholarship and a diversity scholarship totalling up to be a lot more than just one? Lastly, when are all the scholarships given i.e. when is too late to expect a scholarship? I think these are good questions because I understand you all probably don't want to be calling saying "show me da money" when I know you probably feel like it.

I will read the letter when I get home and perhaps it has more clarification in it.

I said before, I believe n a PM, I received a letter restating what my financial aid looks like and another explaining the mystery scholarship. Hope this helps.

You know axlaxl1
I had the same question too since I got a scholarship and I wasn't sure if I could ask for more. I'd appreciate it if you found something if could tell me, because I really do need the money.

You know axlaxl1
I had the same question too since I got a scholarship and I wasn't sure if I could ask for more. I'd appreciate it if you found something if could tell me, because I really do need the money.
No offense, but everybody needs the money... Nobody walks away from med school without debt unless someone foots the bill. Though, sometimes it seems like we have plenty of people in that position at UM :). "Needing the money" means you can't get it from a lender. So if you're credit is screwed and you maxed out your stafford and your grad plus, then maybe you "need it" more than someone else ;)

No offense, but everybody needs the money... Nobody walks away from med school without debt unless someone foots the bill. Though, sometimes it seems like we have plenty of people in that position at UM :). "Needing the money" means you can't get it from a lender. So if you're credit is screwed and you maxed out your stafford and your grad plus, then maybe you "need it" more than someone else ;)

I understand what you are saying but I do think there is a difference from someone who has parental support and who does not. I agree that all of us will have loan debt at the end of this endevor, however, more of us will have parental support such as housing or food or money in situations that others simply won't be able to receive from their family.

You do make a great point though that some people have even come from grad programs that can already start the drain on loans from the graduate school perspective.

With that said, my parents aren't giving me a THING, dead and single/disabled parent. So, for me every single bit helps as I will be the only supporter of my educaton from every aspect as unfortunetly I will not have any parental support.

Still, I am very pleased with what I have been afforded already; sorry if I came across as greedy or something.

I understand what you are saying but I do think there is a difference from someone who has parental support and who does not. I agree that all of us will have loan debt at the end of this endevor, however, more of us will have parental support such as housing or food or money in situations that others simply won't be able to receive from their family.

You do make a great point though that some people have even come from grad programs that can already start the drain on loans from the graduate school perspective.

With that said, my parents aren't giving me a THING, dead and single/disabled parent. So, for me every single bit helps as I will be the only supporter of my educaton from every aspect as unfortunetly I will not have any parental support.

Still, I am very pleased with what I have been afforded already; sorry if I came across as greedy or something.

For the scholarship, did they need your financial aid information first or was this independent of it?

For the scholarship, did they need your financial aid information first or was this independent of it?

That's the thing I don't know. You know what. I am going to call about it today.

Hey, just for your general info...I was accepted at Boca Raton, waitlisted at the main Miami campus. But I'm glad because I think I'd be happier in Boca anyways. Hey, I'm likin' the "Giants" logo on Hebrewhammer's Avatar....

Soy de Nueva York...Representando NY biatches!!!

None taken
I actually am in the same position as axlaxl1, one dead and the other one works in a factory and doesn't make enough to help me out in any way. I do understand where you are coming from though. But, I also know that when someone makes the assertion that they "need the money" it means (to me at least) that they will have a hard time paying for school even with the loans ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok this is what I have found out when I called financial aid today.

The scholarship I received was from the diversity / need scholarship everyone filled out (I hope everyone filled out) when we were first accepted. She explained that the amount is one amount for all scholarships given for those essays. Meaning, the diversity / need allows them to review your situation by committee and come up with an amount they would like to award you for scholarship. Essentially, it takes everything into consideration and a figure is reached. So, if you received a scholarship that is probably going to be it for the essays we filled out when accepted. I encourage people to call the financial aid department they are always very nice and answer all of my questions.

Does anyone know how many weeks are allotted to study for the boards after second year, at both Miami and at Boca...?

six weeks at Miami. It's never been done for Boca---so no one can give you a definitive answer. However, since they follow the Miami schedule, I reasonably sure that it's six weeks, too.

six weeks at Miami. It's never been done for Boca---so no one can give you a definitive answer. However, since they follow the Miami schedule, I reasonably sure that it's six weeks, too.

cool thanks.
and obv, this is gonna vary person to person, but for those who have already studied for the boards, would you agree that >4 weeks is overkill?

hmmmm, what controversial subject can I interject to make the thread interesting again. haha, JK.

Sorry, haven't posted on this thread at all (b/c Im waitlisted at Miami, accepted at Boca) but the previous 2 comments made me laugh my @$$ off...its going to be hilarious when in a year from now you two are best friends

Anyways, does anyone know in what month the waitlist really starts to move?

This is what I am dealing with right now.

Swallow this.

As discussed earlier, dephosphorylation of the APC/C specificity factor Cdh1 by the Cdc14 phosphatase leads to degradation of mitotic cyclins and loss of MPF activity late in anaphase

Yea this thread has really died off lately.. Anyways, Zeke, since you're almost done with your first year, is there any advice you have for the incoming class?

Yea this thread has really died off lately.. Anyways, Zeke, since you're almost done with your first year, is there any advice you have for the incoming class?

I'm graduating in 2 weeks so I'll give you the perspective from looking back on all of it. Enjoy your time off before med school, relax, have fun. I know you've all heard that before but its so damn true. Don't worry about anatomy, biochem, whatever. Everything you need to know you will learn in med school and you will do great and match very well come 4th year in whatever you want and wherever you want if you just work hard. Med school is nothing you can't handle, the material is not any harder than anything you've done in undergrad. SERIOUSLY. The only thing that makes it different is the pace at which they unload information on you but you will adapt and after a few months its second nature. At Miami everything you need to know for just about every module is thrown up in powerpoint files the first 2 years and uploaded to the meded site daily. There are gonna be times you feel overwhelmed from all the information you feel "you must know!". Just realize that you can't learn it all as a first or second year or else you are going to make yourself sick, just try your best and try to understand the concepts you are learning instead of just memorizing every slide of every powerpoint file. There are also gonna be times where it feels like you're just doing another 2 years of undergrad with all the lectures and all the studying. As a first and second year enjoy your time at preceptor and academic societies training sessions, go to health fairs, participate in the student clinic... these clinical activities are the only things you have at school to actually remind you that all the basic sciences you are doing the first 2 years are there for you to actually help patients with and not just for exams and grades. Then you hit 3rd year and it's awesome. Yes, its harder, the days can be 12 hours long or longer compared to the 3-6 hour days you had as a 1st and 2nd year but actually being on the wards and seeing on a daily basis how everything you learned comes together is great. Patients at Jackson will look to you when they have questions and will see you as their doctor. One day you'll realize that you've gone from someone nervous about taking a simple history to someone that is suturing a laceration or performing a paracentesis or reading an EKG and calling the cath lab about an MI in the ER.... and you won't even know when it happened but you made that transition from 1st and 2nd year to clinician. Just enjoy the ride and remember why you went to med school in the first place which is very easy to forget at times, it's gonna get rough along the way but if you've made it to med school you can totally handle it. Don't doubt yourself.

I'm graduating in 2 weeks so I'll give you the perspective from looking back on all of it. Enjoy your time off before med school, relax, have fun. I know you've all heard that before but its so damn true. Don't worry about anatomy, biochem, whatever. Everything you need to know you will learn in med school and you will do great and match very well come 4th year in whatever you want and wherever you want if you just work hard. Med school is nothing you can't handle, the material is not any harder than anything you've done in undergrad. SERIOUSLY. The only thing that makes it different is the pace at which they unload information on you but you will adapt and after a few months its second nature. At Miami everything you need to know for just about every module is thrown up in powerpoint files the first 2 years and uploaded to the meded site daily. There are gonna be times you feel overwhelmed from all the information you feel "you must know!". Just realize that you can't learn it all as a first or second year or else you are going to make yourself sick, just try your best and try to understand the concepts you are learning instead of just memorizing every slide of every powerpoint file. There are also gonna be times where it feels like you're just doing another 2 years of undergrad with all the lectures and all the studying. As a first and second year enjoy your time at preceptor and academic societies training sessions, go to health fairs, participate in the student clinic... these clinical activities are the only things you have at school to actually remind you that all the basic sciences you are doing the first 2 years are there for you to actually help patients with and not just for exams and grades. Then you hit 3rd year and it's awesome. Yes, its harder, the days can be 12 hours long or longer compared to the 3-6 hour days you had as a 1st and 2nd year but actually being on the wards and seeing on a daily basis how everything you learned comes together is great. Patients at Jackson will look to you when they have questions and will see you as their doctor. One day you'll realize that you've gone from someone nervous about taking a simple history to someone that is suturing a laceration or performing a paracentesis or reading an EKG and calling the cath lab about an MI in the ER.... and you won't even know when it happened but you made that transition from 1st and 2nd year to clinician. Just enjoy the ride and remember why you went to med school in the first place which is very easy to forget at times, it's gonna get rough along the way but if you've made it to med school you can totally handle it. Don't doubt yourself.

This is exactly what this website should be about. Thanks for the outstanding post Arsenic. Your insight is absolutely valuable. It is nice to hear a positive outlook about third year for a change. :)

Thanks arsenic.. that was just what I needed to get pumped and make it through my finals lol. Oh ya, sweet avatar too.

That post is definitely one to refer to in the future when feeling overwhelmed, just to put everything in perspective. Thank you Arsenic! :) I missed this thread!

This is odd, I was actually hoping someone would post that. I really feel encouraged and pumped now. I will enjoy my time now and I can't wait until august 13. We are going to have fun guys.

I just had my last class in college today... Just two weeks until graduation! :D I am extremely excited for August 7th (start of orientation) when the whole process begins and I can finally meet you all (at least those of you at the Miami campus) in person!

Now, I can't wait to enjoy these next three months of worry-free vacation...

So, I can't say what Arsenic said, because I'm not a 4th year yet ;) and I haven't been on the wards...

BUT, I will say that I agree with his perspective, and I haven't worried about grades much since coming to med school. I'm more concerned with learning the material and just enjoying the process. Clinic and training sessions and health fairs are really awesome and you'll see that when you start next year and start talking to you friends at other med schools. Many people at other schools don't get to practice clinical skills until the end of 2nd year. Sure they have to write up a report or get presented a patient in front of their class or small group, but we actually get to touch patients!! :) Didn't intend for that to sound dirty...

Anyways, welcome to UM and get ready to have a great 4 years. You guys will see me on Games Day!

Wow, I'm totally going to save that paragraph somewhere and refer to it in the future, when I feel like crapola. I wish I had something else to post here, but I really don't know what else to say. This thread has been a bit quiet lately...

Well, May 15th is only a few weeks away...and the committee is apparently meeting next Wednesday to decide on the final batch of acceptees/waitlists (seeing as the last interview date at the Miami campus was April 11th), so I anticipate this thread becoming more lively pretty soon.

:thumbup:

Wow, AWESOME, can we put this on LOCK because it is inspiring.

Congrats...if you don't mind may I ask what helped you decide.

Hey Wally,

I just felt the most comfortable at Miami. The students all seem genuinely happy and the opportunities are endless. Are you still unsure?

TZ

Well, withdrew from Boca ... so goodbye unless I hear from the Miami at Miami waitlist ... good luck to you all!

Sorry, this seems a bit tactical but did you consider calling Miami and saying you wouldn't want to go to Boca and you only want Miami? Just wondering because perhaps that might have looked favorable upon that. From what I understand if a person really wants UM main they can get it. I am sure it is not 100 percent but there has been cases.

I personally feel I'll be happy in Boca. Just as well it could have been UM.

Sorry, this seems a bit tactical but did you consider calling Miami and saying you wouldn't want to go to Boca and you only want Miami? Just wondering because perhaps that might have looked favorable upon that. From what I understand if a person really wants UM main they can get it. I am sure it is not 100 percent but there has been cases.

I also heard that some where.

Unfortunately, this isn't true. It was true, because the admissions used to be all done through Miami. It used to be that you did one interview and the programs/curriculum were the exact same. At this point curriculum's are so different that it's almost as though the committees are looking for different things. For example, everyone knew I wanted Miami last year more than anything, but I was accepted to Boca december 7th and waitlisted at Miami till July 25th. I was told I had no chance. I wrote LOIs and called regularly. Just a heads up, so you don't tell people the wrong thing. It's not as simple as it was. Not just a campus transfer.

Here's an n=1, take it FWIW. [This was 2 yrs ago, and I'm not sure if this is when you speak of the admissions being done all at Miami or not] Buddy of mine (OOS) was asked at his UM interview if he'd consider Boca. He said he would. He got waitlisted at Boca, then about a month later, accepted at Boca. But he knew he really wanted to be at the other campus so he went to talk to Dr. Hinkley -- a few days later he was accepted at the main campus. Coincidence or not, you decide.

Again, n=1 -- obviously every situation is different. Don't know if this helps (inspires?) anyone....just another data point. :)

Unfortunately, this isn't true. It was true, because the admissions used to be all done through Miami. It used to be that you did one interview and the programs/curriculum were the exact same. At this point curriculum's are so different that it's almost as though the committees are looking for different things. For example, everyone knew I wanted Miami last year more than anything, but I was accepted to Boca december 7th and waitlisted at Miami till July 25th. I was told I had no chance. I wrote LOIs and called regularly. Just a heads up, so you don't tell people the wrong thing. It's not as simple as it was. Not just a campus transfer.

I think you missunderstood what I was saying. I actually agree with you. I am not saying you just ask and poof you're in. But I have seen cases, as yours and the poster above me, where they insisted and it worked. So, I would think that before withdrawing from one and saying flat out no to one school. I would think it would be better to stay on and not withdraw an acceptance and try to work with th main campus on an acceptance.

I was just saying from an approach standpoint. JMO

Here's an n=1, take it FWIW. [This was 2 yrs ago, and I'm not sure if this is when you speak of the admissions being done all at Miami or not] Buddy of mine (OOS) was asked at his UM interview if he'd consider Boca. He said he would. He got waitlisted at Boca, then about a month later, accepted at Boca. But he knew he really wanted to be at the other campus so he went to talk to Dr. Hinkley -- a few days later he was accepted at the main campus. Coincidence or not, you decide.

Again, n=1 -- obviously every situation is different. Don't know if this helps (inspires?) anyone....just another data point. :)
"this was 2 years ago"

Yup. So I was on a waitlist for Miami, and Dr. Hinkley wouldn't speak to me. When you're on the waitlist, Dr. Hinkley won't talk to you. 2 years ago, same adcom, people who considered Boca were shunted over there and then in the last few months before school were able to switch based on waitlist movement (people turning down UM) and whatever. Now, it's separate adcoms.

I have to say...I'm getting A LITTLE frustrated...but if you don't want to believe me. Then don't. Curriculum changed over LAST YEAR...the whole 2 interviews thing started LAST YEAR anything from prior to then NOT THE SAME.