University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Correct me if i have it all wrong, There really is no distinction between the match list for the Boca v. Main campus this year or next year b/c the programs were identical. Same rotations/classes/curriculum, ect

i dont know if any one has mentioned this, but um has had a phenomenal match list this year:

including a ucsf plastics, johns hopkins otolarynglogy, yale rad diag to name a few.

4 derms, 9 opthos - including 1 to the best optho program in the country: bascom palmer @ um, and a huge amount of anesthesiologists (in the twenties i hear), 6 ents

if you were thinking about going to another school, think again :)

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know if any one has mentioned this, but um has had a phenomenal match list this year:

including a ucsf plastics, johns hopkins otolarynglogy, yale rad diag to name a few.

4 derms, 9 opthos - including 1 to the best optho program in the country: bascom palmer @ um, and a huge amount of anesthesiologists (in the twenties i hear), 6 ents

AWESOME! LOVE IT! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot deuist and wally47. Although we are still a long way from the start of classes, what can you tell me about textbooks? Did you spend a lot of money on textbooks or do the class notes suffice? Any tips for specific classes, if you have had the new Boca curriculum. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)

By quoting me I am assuming I was who your post was directed at. That said, What are you talking about? I know UM has a great match list. My post had nothing to do with the validity of their match list though. And I would appreciate if you allow me to think for myself.:cool:

UM Miller is on the front page of msn.com today! "Woman's Abdominal Organs Removed in Unique Cancer Surgery":

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100198903&GT1=31036

How cool is that? :thumbup:

If you look very closely at the picture I do believe you see my UM scrubs worn by all the docs. See my scrubs are cool YEAAAA! :clap::clap::clap:<<<Yes I am a dork sometimes.

****Update:

After look at it again for 2 more seconds, LOL, they are wearing surgery gowns. LOL, same color. But I promise you I will get
the "U" on those too.

If you look very closely at the picture I do believe you see my UM scrubs worn by all the docs. See my scrubs are cool YEAAAA! :clap::clap::clap:<<<Yes I am a dork sometimes.

****Update:

After look at it again for 2 more seconds, LOL, they are wearing surgery gowns. LOL, same color. But I promise you I will get
the "U" on those too.

I've seen some surgeons wearing caps with the "U" on them too. :)

****Update:

the "U" on those too.

You should paint your car half Green half Orange:laugh:
Or eat this cereal every morning.

zj567pjy.jpg

Thanks a lot deuist and wally47. Although we are still a long way from the start of classes, what can you tell me about textbooks? Did you spend a lot of money on textbooks or do the class notes suffice? Any tips for specific classes, if you have had the new Boca curriculum. Thanks again!

As far as I know, there is only one person on SDN who is in the first-year class at Boca, and s/he hasn't posted in a very long time. None of us can tell you which textbook works best with which class. I will say that you need Moore and Netter (or another atlas) for anatomy.

I've seen some surgeons wearing caps with the "U" on them too. :)

Are you serious? They have caps with them too? Wait a minute I did see them. UH OH! Is that too much? Surgery cap, shirt and pants all having the U logo? You know what I think it is fine because the cap is the main thing people can see when you are doing surgery anyway because of the surgery gowns.

Thanks Ankoku. I will order two of them today!

Wally, OMG, are you serious? Do they have that cereal at Publix? Because I will go there right now.

As far as I know, there is only one person on SDN who is in the first-year class at Boca, and s/he hasn't posted in a very long time. None of us can tell you which textbook works best with which class. I will say that you need Moore and Netter (or another atlas) for anatomy.

Thanks again deuist. I will try to find out, maybe through the facebook page or another source, and post it right away. Perhaps a good source would be the UMMSM class of 2011 facebook page. What do you think? :idea:

Hey guys,

So I'm looking for a place to live in miami. Is it really important to be walking distance to school? I know the area isn't the safest.

What are some areas that are good for M1s? I don't know know much about neighborhoods in Miami... I went to South Beach for 2 days senior year but I was so inebriated I cant remember much....:D

I like being in busy areas with lotsa restaurants and things to do. I won't have a car tho, so easy access thru public transportation is important.

Also if anyone is looking for a roommate, I'm available! I'm a chill girl, clean... rock at washing dishes...which makes up for my lack of cooking skills.

ANY ADVICE or ROOMMATE possibilities?????? I don't even know HOW to start looking for places....

on a side note! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Hey guys,

So I'm looking for a place to live in miami. Is it really important to be walking distance to school? I know the area isn't the safest.

What are some areas that are good for M1s? I don't know know much about neighborhoods in Miami... I went to South Beach for 2 days senior year but I was so inebriated I cant remember much....:D

I like being in busy areas with lotsa restaurants and things to do. I won't have a car tho, so easy access thru public transportation is important.

Also if anyone is looking for a roommate, I'm available! I'm a chill girl, clean... rock at washing dishes...which makes up for my lack of cooking skills.

ANY ADVICE or ROOMMATE possibilities?????? I don't even know HOW to start looking for places....

on a side note! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!

If you want to walk to school, your best options are Dominion Tower, Jackson Medical Towers, and Seabolt Point (maybe spelled Seybolt?). If you wish to live farther away from campus, your best bet is to live in Brickell and take the Metro rail to school each day. There are several apartment complexes in that area that are very close to the Metro rail stations. The one that comes immediately to mind is called One Broadway. You will certainly need a car by the time you reach third year. You can get by the first two years, but the university does have several off-campus activities. You will probably need a roommate, or at least a very good friend, who can drive you around to the various activities. Of the locations that I listed, you can expect to pay at least $1000 to live here in Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to walk to school, your best options are Dominion Tower, Jackson Medical Towers, and Seabolt Point (maybe spelled Seybolt?). If you wish to live farther away from campus, your best bet is to live in Brickell and take the Metro rail to school each day. There are several apartment complexes in that area that are very close to the Metro rail stations. The one that comes immediately to mind is called One Broadway. You will certainly need a car by the time you reach third year. You can get by the first two years, but the university does have several off-campus activities. You will probably need a roommate, or at least a very good friend, who can drive you around to the various activities. Of the locations that I listed, you can expect to pay at least $1000 to live here in Miami.

I know this is going to sound really vague but I'm going to give it a shot. During my interview, the housing question came up, and all the current UMers told us where they lived. One fourth year gave the following description which sounded too good to be true. Its kind of a quiet location but not too far from the actitivity, or too far from the school (I don't think walking distance though). I think a lot of older students live there, and I think she said that there's usually a waitlist to get in, because its such a good place to live.

Also, I haven't really thought about actually scouting apartments out, finding roommates or anything like that, but it has been in the back of my mind. I've been thinking that I'll check that stuff out after school lets out. Unless we find someone on SDN, does UM compile a list of its students, so we can start finding roommates? Are most places 2 BRs or are there larger places? What's your opinion about living on the beach too?

By quoting me I am assuming I was who your post was directed at. That said, What are you talking about? I know UM has a great match list. My post had nothing to do with the validity of their match list though. And I would appreciate if you allow me to think for myself.:cool:

i simply quoted you to get the response box to pop up. dont look too deep into it.

Are any girls looking for a roommate in the Brickell area next year? I'm looking to find an apt in that area but would like to share a 2BR + with a roommate(s), since it is more affordable that way. I'm looking to head down to Miami the first week of June and secure a place since I will be out of the country until Mid-July. Feel free to PM me! I'm on FB too.

this may have already been answered.....but has anyone sent in their deposit yet. I know its due some time in may but id rather just do it now and get it out of the way.

this may have already been answered.....but has anyone sent in their deposit yet. I know its due some time in may but id rather just do it now and get it out of the way.

I think the website said the deposit was due in June.

Yeah, I sent in my check about three weeks ago after my parents kept harassing me about it. Hmm....now i only need like 30000 more for my 1st year tuition fees?

Well I waited a whole year, because i decided to defer, but I am finally here. I am really excited and can't wait to meet everyone. It seems we have a great group going here. I still have to send that check, but I am going to send it this week :cool:

Well I waited a whole year, because i decided to defer, but I am finally here. I am really excited and can't wait to meet everyone. It seems we have a great group going here. I still have to send that check, but I am going to send it this week :cool:

We need to send in a check? AWESOME. Where is the link telling us that?

If you haven't checked your e-mails yet, check them now. We have full access to the website with the podcasts now.

Do any of the current students know anything about or have lived in the Grove? This sounds like a good place to live. Also, how far away is the Grove from school?

Where are these podcasts? are they from both the Miami and Boca campuses? As well, I asked about getting an e-mail but they said that wouldn't be until orientation or thereabouts.

Question about the insurance, wow $2000.00 seems like a lot. I mean geez oh man that is a trip to Europe and what not. Anyone have a cheaper plan they can share. I am leaving this school, undergrad, and looking for something similar i.e. the $1000.00 plan our school has now.

Question about the insurance, wow $2000.00 seems like a lot. I mean geez oh man that is a trip to Europe and what not. Anyone have a cheaper plan they can share. I am leaving this school, undergrad, and looking for something similar i.e. the $1000.00 plan our school has now.

Hells yeah thats a lot. However, I think I saw somewhere that if you can provide proof of insurance, you are ok with the insurance requirement. Provided you are a healthy individual, you could probably get a high deductible insurance policy from an independent agent for around $100 a month.

Hells yeah thats a lot. However, I think I saw somewhere that if you can provide proof of insurance, you are ok with the insurance requirement. Provided you are a healthy individual, you could probably get a high deductible insurance policy from an independent agent for around $100 a month.

Hey everyone this is what I found out. From what I understand Boca students can use FAU's insurance plan which is only $1077.00 a year compared to Miami's $1900.00 a year. The plan over all looks a lot better too. I think it is because FAU is a much bigger school of why the plans are so much different and cheaper. I will give details tomorrow when I verify with the insurance office. I will see if UM people are eligible for the plan too.

Do any of the current students know anything about or have lived in the Grove? This sounds like a good place to live. Also, how far away is the Grove from school?

The grove is a bit from medcampus. I think maybe 4? metrorail stops (you still need to get to the metrorail from the grove). The grove in general is VERY sketch, I've heard of plenty of accounts of ppl getting robbed walking back to the undergrad campus or metrorail at night. There are pockets of nice housing in the grove, but it is pretty much surrounded by not-so-good neighborhoods. Nightlife at the grove is pretty big so if you like bar hopping (where a lot of undergrads go) and ppl watching, it's pretty good for it.

The grove is a bit from medcampus. I think maybe 4? metrorail stops (you still need to get to the metrorail from the grove). The grove in general is VERY sketch, I've heard of plenty of accounts of ppl getting robbed walking back to the undergrad campus or metrorail at night. There are pockets of nice housing in the grove, but it is pretty much surrounded by not-so-good neighborhoods. Nightlife at the grove is pretty big so if you like bar hopping (where a lot of undergrads go) and ppl watching, it's pretty good for it.

Beyond not-so good. There are some HORRIBLE neighborhoods in the Grove. You cannot make a wrong turn or you may end up having someone throw a rock at your car. It has happened to multiple people I know.

Beyond not-so good. There are some HORRIBLE neighborhoods in the Grove. You cannot make a wrong turn or you may end up having someone throw a rock at your car. It has happened to multiple people I know.

I used not-so-good really as an euphemism considering there are much worse neighborhoods in miami, but yea you're right, to put it bluntly, horrible.

I used not-so-good really as an euphemism considering there are much worse neighborhoods in miami, but yea you're right, to put it bluntly, horrible.
I disagree. Live in the right part of the grove, you have no problem. How often are you driving around in your car in the actual grove, even if you live there?

I disagree. Live in the right part of the grove, you have no problem. How often are you driving around in your car in the actual grove, even if you live there?

Please read my original post - "There are pockets of nice housing in the grove, but it is pretty much surrounded by not-so-good neighborhoods." Even if you lived at the nice parts, how do you plan on getting to the metrorail? I definitely wouldn't want to walk or bike down grand avenue. If you don't want to take the metrorail, you'll still need to drive/bike to medcampus. Don't know how accurate this is but......

http://homes.point2.com/Neighborhoo...-County/Miami/Coconut-Grove-Demographics.aspx

Crime figures on lower right chart. National index = 100

Coconut Grove:
Total crime risk = 322
Robbery risk = 507
Assault Risk = 512

Bottom line, if you know the Grove well and know which streets to take, it shouldn't be as bad (even then it's no guarantee). either way, it's quite a risky place to live.

I am thinking about renting a condo off Brickell. I heard that it is a low crime area and the commute to school is very short. My girlfriend is going to be moving down with me and attending the closest FIU campus. How far is the closest FIU campus from the Brickell area? Is there a different area I should look at? Safety, convenience, and quality are my priorities. I was hoping to spend 1300 or less for a 1/1. Any suggestions?

I am thinking about renting a condo off Brickell. I heard that it is a low crime area and the commute to school is very short. My girlfriend is going to be moving down with me and attending the closest FIU campus. How far is the closest FIU campus from the Brickell area? Is there a different area I should look at? Safety, convenience, and quality are my priorities. I was hoping to spend 1300 or less for a 1/1. Any suggestions?

Brickell is probably one of the safest areas of Miami. Commute time from brickell-medcampus is pretty short. However, Brickell is fairly far from FIU (about 100+ blocks) in miami traffic. Medcampus, Brickell, and FIU form an obtuse triangle with medcampus in the north being the obtuse angle and brickell in the southeast and FIU far out in the southwest.

Besides Brickell, to cut down commute for both you and your girlfriend, you can find a place to live in between medcampus and FIU.....the areas would probably range from little havana to doral. Little havana isn't the safest neighborhood (but not as bad as grove) and you pretty much need to know spanish (or else they'll have to find translators for you in stores/restaurants). doral is more residential. Another area you can consider is gables but hard to find cheap housing there especially 1/1.

I might be skipping some neighborhoods, anyone know of any others?

Please read my original post - "There are pockets of nice housing in the grove, but it is pretty much surrounded by not-so-good neighborhoods." Even if you lived at the nice parts, how do you plan on getting to the metrorail? I definitely wouldn't want to walk or bike down grand avenue. If you don't want to take the metrorail, you'll still need to drive/bike to medcampus. Don't know how accurate this is but......

http://homes.point2.com/Neighborhoo...-County/Miami/Coconut-Grove-Demographics.aspx

Crime figures on lower right chart. National index = 100

Coconut Grove:
Total crime risk = 322
Robbery risk = 507
Assault Risk = 512

Bottom line, if you know the Grove well and know which streets to take, it shouldn't be as bad (even then it's no guarantee). either way, it's quite a risky place to live.

I think all Dr. Zeke is trying to say is "BUCK UP." LOL, my goodness by all means don't move to the ghetto but in general even though some reports say there is crime and blah blah blah that in no way means that your appartment building doesn't have 8 security gaurds and a gated entrance. The other thing is that Miami is so densly populated you can find a really nice sweet spot and a block later be in compton/Calle Ocho (8th Street)/little havana/opa locka/liberty city, etc.

The other thing is have more faith in the city. Keep your things locked and in general act like you're living in a major U.S. city. Otherwise, LOL come on up to Boca because it is CUSHY up here. Except for Glades road. Now that is some compton shizzznizzle fo sho. LOL, JJ

Hey everyone, it is April 10th. What is going to be happening soon? Meaning, what are the important dates and when those dates approach what happens usually in the name of acceptances and or rejections. Is it really musical chairs like that say or does the movement come a little later at a different time?

There was an information tab on the website that was given in our emails. On tab talked about Biochem and the imporantance of having it down before schools starts. Does anyone remember the exact message because the tab seems to be down. As well, is this the book
Biochemistry: Lippincott's​
Illustrated Reviews

The right book we should be getitng it seems great because the price is like 50 cents.

Axlaxl1,
I actually remember that tab from a while ago before I deferred. I don't remember there being any mentioning of a book, if there was I missed it, but I did download a zip file with 23 lectures for a Biochem refresher for those that haven't taken Biochem yet or in a long time.
If you want I can send you the file if you send me a message, since I dont know if you are allowed to post links here.

There was an information tab on the website that was given in our emails. On tab talked about Biochem and the imporantance of having it down before schools starts. Does anyone remember the exact message because the tab seems to be down. As well, is this the book
Illustrated Reviews

The right book we should be getitng it seems great because the price is like 50 cents.

Does anyone think that maybe this tab is down for a reason? Like, maybe it was for last year's incoming freshmen and they didn't realize the mistake until after they posted it? The site does seem to have a couple mistakes on it, so it's probably a work in progress- just a thought.
Don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited and ready for school to start as anyone else... but I'd hate to do any unnecessary biochem studying :)

Does anyone think that maybe this tab is down for a reason? Like, maybe it was for last year's incoming freshmen and they didn't realize the mistake until after they posted it? The site does seem to have a couple mistakes on it, so it's probably a work in progress- just a thought.
Don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited and ready for school to start as anyone else... but I'd hate to do any unnecessary biochem studying :)

I feel like studying this early would be pointless anyway, we would forget it once again prior to class starting. If we do in fact have to review biochem, i probably will start in late June.

Illustrated Reviews

I think the price is more like 50 bucks...

The book they use is Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry 4th edition, which is a pretty great book. Used it in my undergrad biochem at UM. The third edition is better as it has a great summary of all of the key topics of the entire book at the end of the book, and there's not much of a difference in content.

And yeah, studying biochem over the summer seems kind of pointless as our first module (at least at the Miami campus...don't know about Boca) is "Human Structure"(Anatomy, Embryology, Cell Biology, and Histology). I think their suggestion to "study biochem over the summer" made more sense back when "Molecular Basis of Life"( Biochemistry and Genetics) was the first module. As it is, we will have to focus on something other than biochemistry for the first 9 or so weeks of school.

I think the price is more like 50 bucks...

The book they use is Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry 4th edition, which is a pretty great book. Used it in my undergrad biochem at UM. The third edition is better as it has a great summary of all of the key topics of the entire book at the end of the book, and there's not much of a difference in content.

No way man, I bought it the other day for 4.00 bucks.

Aw, you lucked out. I had to buy it for my biochem class when it had just come out...

yeah, i wouldn't have bought it so early if it hadn't been such a good deal.

I think all Dr. Zeke is trying to say is "BUCK UP." LOL, my goodness by all means don't move to the ghetto but in general even though some reports say there is crime and blah blah blah that in no way means that your appartment building doesn't have 8 security gaurds and a gated entrance. The other thing is that Miami is so densly populated you can find a really nice sweet spot and a block later be in compton/Calle Ocho (8th Street)/little havana/opa locka/liberty city, etc.

The other thing is have more faith in the city. Keep your things locked and in general act like you're living in a major U.S. city. Otherwise, LOL come on up to Boca because it is CUSHY up here. Except for Glades road. Now that is some compton shizzznizzle fo sho. LOL, JJ
Yup. Couldn't have said it better myself. You should always know your surroundings and feel comfortable, but different people are going to feel comfortable in different areas. Some of my classmates wouldn't dream of leaving Brickell to live somewhere else, while some people wouldn't live in Brickell unless it was free...so really it's personal and when looking for a place to live, you should talk to multiple people to get different opinions AND go and see the neighbourhoods yourselves.