University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everybody. I just joined sdn, I will be attending UMMSM at the main campus. I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

I was wondering, what is the consensus on the medical equipment to purchase? I was planning on getting all the requested items but the Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope. Is this a mistake?

Also, does anybody know what the dress code is? I assume on regular class days we can wear shorts. During orientation? What exactly is professional casual?

One last thing. . . . I've glanced over the lectures and available materials as suggested. Are we actually expected to begin reviewing anything, or was that just to get an idea of what to expect?

Thanks for the help . . .

Hey, welcome dsg.

I personally plan on waiting to purchase the otoscope/ophthalmoscope until we start learning to use them (if I buy them at all...it might be a good idea to wait till school starts and see if any third/fourth years want to sell theirs cheap!). I don't think we start using them until we start our first organ system module (the Neuro one). I think we'll all be fine with just a stethoscope and maybe some of the smaller, cheaper equipment (Reflex hammer, tuning fork, penlight) to start off with. I have also heard that buying an expensive blood pressure kit (sphygmomanometer) is a WASTE OF MONEY - if you even get one, get a cheap $20 one from allheart.com.

Dunno about the dress code, although I imagine they would let us know when we need to dress in "clinical attire." I'm not sure about the shorts - I sure hope they're allowed! As for orientation, "Professional casual" means that guys should wear a collared dress shirt, slacks and a tie.

Regarding the old lectures and stuff...I think they just recommended that we glance over a few in order to get an idea of what's waiting for us in a few weeks...they're certainly not telling us to start learning anything, so don't worry - yet. ;)

Look forward to meeting you!

Members don't see this ad.

thank you the helpful reply! i really appreciate it!

Hey, I was looking over the academic calendar and it mentions a competency Exam on January 14th. Does anyone remember what this test entails? I'm just curious...

Also, has anyone found out anything about what text books we do and do not need? Any money saved is awesome and needed badly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was looking over the academic calendar and it mentions a competency Exam on January 14th. Does anyone remember what this test entails? I'm just curious...

Also, has anyone found out anything about what text books we do and do not need? Any money saved is awesome and needed badly.

If you go to "important documents" in the students section at the med school website, it lists the textbooks and which ones are simply "recommended"

If you go to "important documents" in the students section at the med school website, it lists the textbooks and which ones are simply "recommended"

Odd how the Netter Anatomy Atlas isn't being recommended (it was there last year)...but this other "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins Atlas of Anatomy" is...

I would recommend waiting until class starts to decide on what books to get. As far as anatomy goes, you will definitely need an atlas and I still think Netters is the best by far. For the other classes you are starting out with most people get along fine with just using the notes handed out in class, except the embryo book may be helpful if you have trouble visualizing things.

I had a question about unsubsidized stafford loans. Does the interest compound while you are in school?

I had a question about unsubsidized stafford loans. Does the interest compound while you are in school?

Yes, and furthermore, unsub starts to do the same thing as soon as you go into repayment.

Hi everyone! I'm an incoming student at the main campus. Can't wait to meet you all at orientation.

I needed advice about something related to the health clearance form. I have all my immunization records complete, but I haven't gotten a physical done yet. I didn't have medical insurance for the past few months, and I just purchased a plan through United Heathcare which will be activated on August 1st. I called UM Family Medicine today to try to schedule an appointment, but they said I can't schedule one until I have verified insurance. I'm afraid that August 1st might be too late to schedule an appointment before the orientation. I'm considering two options right now...first is to get the physical done through a community clinic and pay whatever fee they require. Second is to wait until August 1st to schedule an appointment with UM and in the meantime, ask the student affairs office if I can have an extension in case I'm not able to get it done in time. What do you guys think I should do? Are there other options I'm not considering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm an incoming student at the main campus. Can't wait to meet you all at orientation.

I needed advice about something related to the health clearance form. I have all my immunization records complete, but I haven't gotten a physical done yet. I didn't have medical insurance for the past few months, and I just purchased a plan through United Heathcare which will be activated on August 1st. I called UM Family Medicine today to try to schedule an appointment, but they said I can't schedule one until I have verified insurance. I'm afraid that August 1st might be too late to schedule an appointment before the orientation. I'm considering two options right now...first is to get the physical done through a community clinic and pay whatever fee they require. Second is to wait until August 1st to schedule an appointment with UM and in the meantime, ask the student affairs office if I can have an extension in case I'm not able to get it done in time. What do you guys think I should do? Are there other options I'm not considering?

Hey we are doctors, we can give ourselves physicals...

Does United cover docs not working for UM?

By this do you mean "Would I be able to see a non-UM doc if I have UnitedHealthcare health insurance?"

If so, then the answer would be yes. You can see any physician that's "in-network."

^ Thanks. I'll try that. I hope I'll be able to find one within the next few days.

OMG shiz just got real. I have been signed up for 6 classes which total to be 24 credits for this Fall's semester. Do I have a say in the matter? Like, can I reduce that by like 10 credits to 14. I am more used to a 14 credit semester?

Hey everybody. Have any of you done the Pre-anatomy training courses online. I'm following the directions from that green sheet, but I can't seem to get the software to install. I think it is not compatible with vista. Any ideas?

Hey everybody. Have any of you done the Pre-anatomy training courses online. I'm following the directions from that green sheet, but I can't seem to get the software to install. I think it is not compatible with vista. Any ideas?

Via Facebook I posted this.
If anyone had a problem because of Vista with the links for the lab safety video's because of the "flash plug-in" thingy... Here is a website to fix the problem. http://support.plato.com/kb/tip.asp?psid=2017

1. Just do exactly what the site says including putting in the *.pblahblah.com web addresses. You can return your settings to normal when your done.

Done and done. Cheers.

Oh, and so you know you don't really miss questions so don't get SCARED. LOL.

Did anybody get the health insurance plan from the school? It seems kind of bare minimum. The maximum amount is pretty low.

So I took the two online classes for anatomy. What an annoying application. Sometimes it froze, sometimes it took forever to load. WTH is with that? I did get it finished though, but it took longer than it should.

So I took the two online classes for anatomy. What an annoying application. Sometimes it froze, sometimes it took forever to load. WTH is with that? I did get it finished though, but it took longer than it should.

come on man you can't be sniffen that formalin. lol

I have to say... What is everyone consensus that when school begins this thread is just going to shrivel up and die? Sad really. I feel like we should have a coming out party. :laugh:

I know that everyone knows my name and who I am. But it would be funny for everyone just to give their first name or something.

I will start with this. As of August 7th 2008 I will be making a special surprise announcement. Wait check that. Never mind.

I have to say... What is everyone consensus that when school begins this thread is just going to shrivel up and die? Sad really. I feel like we should have a coming out party. :laugh:

I know that everyone knows my name and who I am. But it would be funny for everyone just to give their first name or something.

I will start with this. As of August 7th 2008 I will be making a special surprise announcement. Wait check that. Never mind.

I know who you are. :D

And I doubt I have to give my first name. lol. *looks to the left side of my screen*

Hey what is everyone wearing to orientation?

shirt, pant, and a tie?

Hey what is everyone wearing to orientation?

shirt, pant, and a tie?

The dress code is professional casual. No t-shirts, shorts, flip flops. I assume polo shirt/khaki pants and closed toe shoes are acceptable.

Last edited:
Anybody home? Few days until orientation, and this thread is DEAD!

Those of you who are in Miami Campus: See you tomorrow!

Hi guys,

It seems that Miami doesn't have a student hosting program, and I would love the opportunity to stay and chat with a current med student during my interview. I will be interviewing on November 17th and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to host me the night before? Please PM me if you can.

Thanks in advance; I'm looking forward to visiting Miami!

Ahh..thanks. I got their email regarding student hosting after posting above..it took them a few hours to send it. Thanks anyway!

To residents, fellows, and faculty:

I am inviting you to check out a free, new online resource called MedicalPlexus (http://www.medicalplexus.com), which is now utilized by a growing number of physicians and medical societies across the country. The platform was developed by colleagues at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and MIT.

MedicalPlexus is an interactive professional network and content management platform exclusively for physicians, researchers, and medical students. The platform allows members to connect with each other, share clinical insights and user-generated content, and collaborate on translational research. One of the core features is a state-of-the-art content management system that allows members to upload, view, share, and discuss their educational material in the form of documents, images, videos, slides and podcasts. Members with common interests can also create private groups to bring together clinical departments, residency programs and research laboratories online.

Best of all, you will be able to earn money from ads linked to any content you share with all members on the site's KnowledgeBase. You will retain complete ownership of uploaded content and it will never be shared with industry without permission. Our goal is to make MedicalPlexus the most valuable repository of medical knowledge that can be accessed for free by physicians and trainees everywhere.

Click on the link below to learn more about MedicalPlexus and join this rapidly growing community:
http://www.medicalplexus.com

Be sure to invite your colleagues. Thank you.