University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live on my own. There are certainly cheaper places to live in the city, but this ain't yer frat house anymore.

Even $1000 is pretty cheap in Miami for a 1/1 if you want a nice place with amenities.

Can you message me the name/location of your building? My bf and I are looking for a 1/1 in downtown/brickell for August 1 :)

Members don't see this ad.

$1000 is excellent for rent for a 1/1. There are students, including myself, that pay a good bit more than that. My first 2 and 1/2 years I paid $1000 but I shared a 2/2 with a roommate. There are many older buildings in Brickell that have been refurbished that are cheaper.

I don't know where you currently live but a good suggestion that many people do is to come down for a weekend and look around with a real estate agent. I just used one in December to find my new place and she was amazing. If anyone is interested in using her I can give you her contact information. She specializes in rental properties only.

Good luck. Having recently found a new place to live, I know this is such a pain especially if you are not from Miami.

Parking will also be much easier.

I have a good friend who rides his motorcycle to school every day, it scares the living daylights out of me but I am a chicken :laugh:

Riding is fun but it is like an addiction to danger. Too easy to cut cars in traffic, too easy to want to go 150, too easy to want to follow others doing ******ed stuff that is only good for ending your life. Plus I hate how in Florida it would be sunny in the morning and by afternoon pouring rain.

But, since my house will be so close to class it won't ever be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about out of staters? i think I have to pay around 40k, can I get enough loans to cover that? Probably with private loans right?

What's up Hopin. I believe all the loans you need will be covered to about 45K after that dollar amount you will need private loans or plus loans or something lke that. I think we are slated to 53k for all fee's and expenses, but that is for in state so you are probably higher than that figure.

What's up Hopin. I believe all the loans you need will be covered to about 45K after that dollar amount you will need private loans or plus loans or something lke that. I think we are slated to 53k for all fee's and expenses, but that is for in state so you are probably higher than that figure.

Hey axl, thanx yea I think for out of staters its like 63k. We have to do our private loans through the school though right? So I can't start applying for loans just yet I guess I'm assuming.

And be careful on the bike man, i personally think its crazy to own one in south florida.

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone who has gone to UM in the past has lived in Aventura. Im curious how bad the commute is going to be, I know traffic is killer during rush hour.

Are we still expected to review biochem this summer? I was looking for it on the incoming freshmen web site and I did not see it. I really hope it is not required.

Are we still expected to review biochem this summer? I was looking for it on the incoming freshmen web site and I did not see it. I really hope it is not required.

I presume that reviewing biochemistry would have made more sense a few years ago when "Molecular Basis of Life" was the first basic science module (again, I'm only speaking for the Miami folks - no idea what Boca starts with)... If you haven't taken a biochem course before (and would thus be learning it all for the first time as opposed to simply reviewing), I can imagine that reading Lippincott's biochemistry and trying to absorb most of it would be a waste of time.

I mean, think about it: for the first 9 week module we're going to have about 2 weeks of Cell Biology and Embryology (About 6 lectures for each with "mini-texts" as syllabi), and 9 weeks of Gross Anatomy and Histology. Unless you're familiar with most of that stuff from undergrad, studying biochem would not be a good use of your time.

On a lighter note, is anyone else getting excited for school to start?

Nah, no reviews to do before classes begin. Enjoy your summer to the fullest. Don't look at anything medically related.

This was exactly the post i was hoping to see. Also, good point AnkokuKarasu.

So is everyone just going ahead and applying for loans right now, or are u guys still waiting for more instructions? I was under the impression that we would be receiving more instructions via snail mail but after a buddy of mine called the fin. aid office the other day it seems that maybe we should just go ahead and get things taken care of via the financial assistance wesbite. Any upperclassmen on here remember how the process worked for them their first year?? thanks.

So is everyone just going ahead and applying for loans right now, or are u guys still waiting for more instructions? I was under the impression that we would be receiving more instructions via snail mail but after a buddy of mine called the fin. aid office the other day it seems that maybe we should just go ahead and get things taken care of via the financial assistance wesbite. Any upperclassmen on here remember how the process worked for them their first year?? thanks.

I got the latest financial aid statement in the mail a few days ago. If it all looks okay to you, then you can go ahead and fill out the Stafford Loan request form and email it to the financial aid office (I heard back that they had received it the very same day).

If you submitted your parents' information on the FAFSA and have a low EFC, then you can call the office and ask them whether you qualify for the lower interest/subsidized Institutional Donor Loan (as opposed to the horrible 8.5%/unsubsidized Grad Plus loan). You would have to call them directly though, as I believe the financial statement would just list the estimated amount in Stafford Loans, any scholarship you may have been awarded ("thus far" according to the paper...), and the rest in Grad Plus loans.

I met with the asst. dean for financial aid the other day.....still digesting the details, but I did not feel any sense of urgency from her. I have yet to receive any sort of financial statement or whatever they send, likely because my FAFSA was just recently completed. But, I think there is still plenty of time...doesn't seem that it takes long for a loan app to be approved and then disbursed.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

Last edited:
for $70 you get two pairs of scrubs, one anatomy dissection kit, one pair of anatomy safety glasses, one ID retractor reel, and one class of 2012 t-shirt.

the packet was postmarked yesterday and since i'm in miami i already have it.

Where can we order this? I had never heard of it before...

Hang tight.....it'll come in your mail as well. This is a pkg put together by class of '11 officers so you "order" it directly from them. Seems to me like if you want any chance at success next year, you'll order the pkg ;)

Where can we order this? I had never heard of it before...

LOL, sorry I am lost where are you ordering this package from? Seriously what are the details.

It's really not THAT big of a deal.....you'll get the packet of info in the mail in a day or two.

LOL, sorry I am lost where are you ordering this package from? Seriously what are the details.

I hope the Boca students get this packet as well. You had me at "class of 2012 T shirt", haha

To anyone who got the packet already: Anyone notice the type-o on the AMSA letter? It says we're the class of 2011. :laugh:

Forgot to change it!

It's really not THAT big of a deal.....you'll get the packet of info in the mail in a day or two.

I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal. I just didn't understand what the heck you were talking about. However, I understand now but if you wouldn't of been so vague about "the package that is soooo important for our success" and explained what you were talking about all of us might not of asked what you were talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apologies for my poor attempt at humor. I was merely poking fun at the name "Freshman Success Pack" and its implication.

I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal. I just didn't understand what the heck you were talking about. However, I understand now but if you wouldn't of been so vague about "the package that is soooo important for our success" and explained what you were talking about all of us might not of asked what you were talking about.

Anyone going to the Boca campus get any official correspondence? Really, the only things I've gotten since being accepted are:
1) Financial aid estimates
2) e-mail link to the medadmissions freshman web site

I submitted my FL residency docs & transcripts. I can't really find any realy information about the FAU setup though. No info about when & where to report for orientation (assuming the same date as Miami), parking, etc.

Also, did anyone find out about getting FAU's insurance instead of UM's?

Apologies for my poor attempt at humor. I was merely poking fun at the name "Freshman Success Pack" and its implication.

Packet Gate!

Wait a minute, my friend just got a packet in the mail, FOR FREE. Is this packet 70$ or free. LOL, honestly I think that is were I am lost. Chemcu is saying a price and people are telling me it was literally in the mail. I think I got it. lol, I remember talking to another student and he mentioned they were sending out freshman packets. chemcu what's up with that? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think this is probably posted somewhere, but can OOS people change to instate to get lower tuition fees after one year at UMiami?

Negative. Unfortunately us out of staters can't change to instate.

Last edited:
I think I am going to buy it. Its probably not worth the money but in the grand scheme of things and all the costs of med school, whats another 70 bucks. Now what about the tools?

I am gonna buy the freshmen success packet. However, I will not be purchasing any other "tools" or instruments aside from a stethoscope. It is my understanding that all the other "required" instruments will be provided for you when you need to use them(please correct me if i am wrong). This was really exciting finally getting something from UM after a few months of silence. Anyone choose a lendor?

As for the tools, I think I heard someone say that as well, so I guess I won't pick them up either. As for a lender I am not sure yet, but I'm pretty certain I am not doing the grad plus loan. I'm just a little confused on whether or not we are allowed to apply for the loans directly or do we have to submit them through UM. Anyone know how this works?

I am gonna buy the freshmen success packet. However, I will not be purchasing any other "tools" or instruments aside from a stethoscope. It is my understanding that all the other "required" instruments will be provided for you when you need to use them(please correct me if i am wrong). This was really exciting finally getting something from UM after a few months of silence. Anyone choose a lendor?

I was under the impression that the only tools that will be available in (most) of the hospital/clinic rooms are otoscopes/ophthalmoscopes (the stuff in the extremely expensive "diagnostic sets" shown in the packet), as well as blood pressure cuffs and sphygmomanometers (the bp stuff shown is, a huge waste of money - one can buy an "old-fashioned" bp kit at CVS for less than $20, which would be more than sufficient to practice on your roommate/parent with).

The rest of the stuff can be obtained somewhere like steeles.com (which gives an excellent deal on the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite steth BTW) and allheart.com. Hell, even the diagnostic sets are cheaper there, by a couple of hundred bucks! Most of the other stuff they ask for (128 Hz tuning fork, Taylor percussion hammer) can be bought from steeles.com for about $10.

Honestly, buying most of this stuff from the WA reps during orientation seems like a great way to get ripped off.

I'll probably end up getting the Freshman Success Pack though, although I already own an ID retractor reel and safety glasses (from organic chem lab). I want the T shirt. :)

As for the tools, I think I heard someone say that as well, so I guess I won't pick them up either. As for a lender I am not sure yet, but I'm pretty certain I am not doing the grad plus loan. I'm just a little confused on whether or not we are allowed to apply for the loans directly or do we have to submit them through UM. Anyone know how this works?

I believe we have to submit them through UM. It's pretty quick.
www.mededu.miami.edu/OSFA/aid/index_html

As far as lenders go, if you took out any loans during undergrad, you can use the same lender. That's what I did (Nellie Mae).

I did little bit of research for the loans situation. Apparently the interest rate is the exact same for all banks, however, the discounts, penalties and default fees are all different depending on the lender.

With that said, I did a little research and Citibank actually has the best interest rate discount on auto-payment at .50% and perhaps even up to .75% but I wasn't exactly sure on the .75. I don't plan on defaulting so I am not worried about that difference. However, to each his/her own but I would start ASAP if you want your money ASAP.

Again here is the website where everyone needs to be.

http://www.mededu.miami.edu/OSFA/loans/index_html

So who is coming up for the Sept. 6th Brawl in the Swamp? :hardy:

So who is coming up for the Sept. 6th Brawl in the Swamp? :hardy:

NO you didn't come in here with the BLUE and ORANGE CRAP. :smuggrin:

I predict TBONE is gonna have a sorry sorry year. He is gonna get caught with some Tranies up there in Gainsville, lots of them you know, and its gonna be big big scandal. LMAO. JK

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So wait we really play you guys? I am not even aware.

Last edited:

Last edited:
UM's football schedule

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/mifl-m-footbl-sched.html

i'm excited to be playing uf in the regular season again...they've finally mustered up some more guts after dropping us from their schedule after repeated beating by us :laugh:. um's first five games are tough ones. it'll let us know early on if this year's team is for real...the return to glory is imminent, i'm just not sure if this is the year though.

last, i think it's a bad thing that uf and um are playing each other though. in college football where the regular season decides who goes to the championship game, it pays to play in a powder puff league with a weak non-conference schedule so that a team can easily go undefeated (uhhh Ohio State) only to get killed in the championship game.

That is why UM should have never left the BIGGGG EASTTTTT. NEVER. NEVER NEVER. But, when UM kicks butt they do it well so a championship year will be a championship year. I feel UF just gets lucks. Like when anybody has to play OHIO SLATE that is a guaranteed victory and thus, championship.

PS. ChemCU how much is a steth? lol and why isn't this in the packet? it is all your fault.

The majority of people in my class use, and love, the 3M Littmann series. Personally I think the cardiology III is the best. I actually just bought a Littmann peds stethoscope that is how much I liked the brand. Not too many people I know use the Welch Allen one.

http://www.allheart.com/littmannscopes.html

good site...plus you can get them personalized. it's a good idea considering how they like to go "missing"

The majority of people in my class use, and love, the 3M Littmann series. Personally I think the cardiology III is the best. I actually just bought a Littmann peds stethoscope that is how much I liked the brand. Not too many people I know use the Welch Allen one.

http://www.allheart.com/littmannscopes.html

good site...plus you can get them personalized. it's a good idea considering how they like to go "missing"

Deuist a page back mentioned that the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite is a very good stethoscope, and that you hear everything from it.

Last edited:

This is actually an amazing stethoscope. Many of my residents actually have this one. You can literally hear everything even very low grade murmurs. The obvious downside to this one is the price, however everyone says it's worth the money. No need to get this one as a med student though...would kind of be a waste of money if you end up going into some field in which you will never use a stethoscope again.

This is actually an amazing stethoscope. Many of my residents actually have this one. You can literally hear everything even very low grade murmurs. The obvious downside to this one is the price, however everyone says it's worth the money. No need to get this one as a med student though...would kind of be a waste of money if you end up going into some field in which you will never use a stethoscope again.

Actually I am glad that you gave a little feedback/review on it. I am a bestbuy/electronic JUNKIE. This, unfortunetly, fits that relm and is calling out to me. I must have it. LOL, if I can hear better than lets do this. I wonder if they have these on Ebay; prob not.

thanks. There is a vacation there or at least 500$ bucks less on a diamond ring. :)

Actually I am glad that you gave a little feedback/review on it. I am a bestbuy/electronic JUNKIE. This, unfortunetly, fits that relm and is calling out to me. I must have it. LOL, if I can hear better than lets do this. I wonder if they have these on Ebay; prob not.

thanks. There is a vacation there or at least 500$ bucks less on a diamond ring. :)

Hey, I actually don't think buying an electronic stethoscope would be a good idea...they would probably want us to learn on an "old fashioned" one...

Last edited:
I agree...it's kind of like a 1st grader showing up to math class with a TI-89.

LOL, that is a bit of an extreme analogy conisdering you make it seem that the 1st grader should be showing up with an, Abacus per se, or perhaps a T-83?

Honestly, I think we are giving the steth way too much credit. It detects a beating heart. can't be that big of a learning curve. I think they know doctors need to hear things not be playing around with nobs and buttons. I am sure once you configure it, it will work like a plane ole regular steth.

What do you think Latitude, besides price is it worth it. I even see the training potential now that I look at it again. It actually records everything.

Last edited:
LOL, that is a bit of an extreme analogy conisdering you make it seem that the 1st grader should be showing up with an, Abacus per se, or perhaps a T-83?

Honestly, I think we are giving the steth way too much credit. It detects a beating heart. can't be that big of a learning curve. I think they know doctors need to hear things not be playing around with nobs and buttons. I am sure once you configure it, it will work like a plane ole regular steth.

What do you think Latitude, besides price is it worth it. I even see the training potential now that I look at it again. It actually records everything.

I think that that specific one, although cool, is definitely an overkill. If you want to buy an electronic one look at this one. http://allheart.com/litt3000.html

It's less expensive and has really all you need in regards to the perks of an electronic stethoscope.

I probably only know one or two med students with an electronic one but many residents have them. I don't think anyone cares whether you learn the "old-fashion" way or not. They just want you to be able to appreciate specific normal and abnormal heart sounds. And for that reason if you want to learn with an electronic one I believe it's ok.

My only thought is that I might wait until 3rd year to buy one that expensive. While you do have clinical experience during your first two years, you may know you hear something not normal but you haven't a clue what it is. However I may just wish that I could have had that one my first year of school.:)

Definitely up to you though.