University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if getting in-state status after 1 year is doable?

I am also out-of-state (current 1st year), and I was told by students when I interviewed that it is possible to qualify for in-state status. As MSKalltheway mentioned, there is a list somewhere on the web that lists the criteria you have to meet. I would say you should start studying that list and getting as much done as you can ASAP. Before classes started I made sure I was registered to vote in Maryland, that my car was registered and titled here, etc. I'm fortunate that I am married, so meeting the income/tax requirement is not a big deal. What I imagine is difficult to prove is that you didn't come here primarily for your education - not sure how to accomplish that, since it seems sort of tricky to prove either way.

Here is the application they have you fill out, to give you an idea of what they're looking for: http://medschool.umaryland.edu/mgc/docs/InState.pdf

I'll probably be attempting to qualify at the end of this summer (once my 12 months of living here has been met), so I'll try and keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Members don't see this ad.

I should have dug around a little more before posting. Here is the official policy for classifying students as in-state/OOS: http://www.usmd.edu/regents/bylaws/SectionVIII/VIII270.html

There was debate for awhile over whether loans qualified as a "source of income", but I'm not sure what was decided (this was a few years ago).

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have dug around a little more before posting. Here is the official policy for classifying students as in-state/OOS: http://www.usmd.edu/regents/bylaws/SectionVIII/VIII270.html

There was debate for awhile over whether loans qualified as a "source of income", but I'm not sure what was decided (this was a few years ago).

Good stuff Suzie, I just found that this morning and was getting ready to post it. About loans, I wouldnt expect they would count as a source of income, but if they do it will make things A LOT easier!

Small, non-time consuming things--like community volunteering (not affiliated with the school), library cards, religious endeavors, etc.--will help show you are here not just to be in school. Basically the burden of proving your entire livelihood is here and not elsewhere is on you. I would assume being married (because of the income issue) definitely helps! I couldnt convince my gf to get married yet so I think I'll have to do it on my own :laugh:

Hopefully I'll be able to dig more up to try to help ya'll out.

Apparently I win the prize for being the biggest looser and checking my email WAY too much, but I just wanted to let everyone know that they've started "adjusting" the financial aid packages to fix the glitch. Just got an email with my updated package. good news! :thumbup:

LOL. It's ok I do it too. They just fixed mine and although still no perkins, still better than that grad plus. Thanks for the info lulu

Do you guys do the student health insurance? It's almost triple what I pay now and a lot of things aren't covered.. any one know of alternatives?

i dont understand the revised financial aid packet...mine stayed the same. did that happen to anyone else?

Do you guys do the student health insurance? It's almost triple what I pay now and a lot of things aren't covered.. any one know of alternatives?

You can stay with your current health insurance, I'm still one my parent's plan until I'm 25, since I'll still be a student then :laugh: For me it only makes sense because pops is a doc and my mom is a nurse so both of their plans are incredible, and they both pay next to nothing for me, but this is not so for everyone. Its not necessary to take the schools plan, but I know a lot of people who were actually pretty happy with it. Their vision plan seems to be pretty beast too. But if you like your current plan better, you should def stay with it.

I chose to go with a plan outside the one offered by the school last year just because of sticker shock when it came down to the cost for a student + spouse (since I am married). It was so much more than I had been paying while working (since now there was no employer subsidy) that I thought it would be better to go through an individual plan (my husband is a realtor, so is effectively self-employed when it comes to things like health insurance; no benefits from an employer).

Right now I don't know what I'm going to do next year. The premium for the "good/affordable" insurance I originally got through Aetna was raised to around $350/month in January, which was insane. So now I have a higher deductible/traditional indemnity through BCBS for now (we have this tax thing set up for us by our accountant that allows us to deduct all our healthcare expenses tax-wise) as we're young, healthy and mostly have the insurance for "catastrophic" type stuff. Also, you don't need the school's insurance to use the student health center (which is actually a fully functioning medical office) at free/low cost for many routine things like sick visits - you get to do that just as a student.

I may or may not go with the school offered plan next year. My only concern with it is even though it is an ok plan, if you (the student) get REALLY sick (ie cancer or something really terrible) - something so bad you have to take a leave of absence for - you will LOSE this health insurance because you stop being an active student. So, basically, just when you really needed it, you wouldn't have it. To my way of thinking, most of the reason I HAVE health insurance is for the "really bad" stuff, so I'm not sure it makes the most sense for me and my husband to have this insurance.

Here's the listing of all the services you can get for free or discounted at Student Health just for being a student and what is NOT covered just by being a student (ie what you want insurance for):

http://www.umaryland.edu/health/costs/

Hey guys!

Congrats to the Class of 2011... you will love Maryland! I am a fourth year, on my way out of the state for residency, and looking to sell my 1st-year books... I know its kind of early to be book shopping but I dont want to move with them, so thought I'd find some incoming freshman who might be on the market... send me a PM is you are interested.

Congrats again, and welcome!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I got into UMDSOM recently and am pretty excited about starting school there in a couple months with all of you. I had a q to everyone on the thread (ESPECIALLY current students).

I'll be graduating from the US Naval Academy in a couple weeks (SWEEEET) and I also got into USUHS (the military med school in Bethesda, MD). I'm having a hard time deciding which school to go to. I'm leaning towards Maryland b/c of their top 50 status, good curriculum structure and non-miltary life. On the down side, it's also in B-more, and being from B-more, I know its not the most glamorous. Also, living on $1300 a month from a HPSP scholarship is an extra stress I might not need.

On the other hand, USUHS has a good program (so I've heard) and the money is GREAT (3x what I'd get for free at UMD), plus Bethesda is an awesome part of DC. However, its also not a top 50 school, I'm not as enthusiastic about the curriculum structure and there are some other BS things I'm sure I'd have to put up with (all military academic institutions do, trust me).

My though process right now is: Is the lack of financial burnden (and potential increased quality of life) at USUHS enough to offest the education I'd get at UMD?

Anybody got any thoughts?

I've heard there's no "right" decision, but I want to do my research and be happy.

Hey there, USNDoc.

None of us go to USUHS, and I don't think any of us here on SDN are doing the HPSP. So, you're only going to get a mostly 1-sided commentary here (although I think LS interviewed At USUHS, so she has more insider knowledge about it than I do). Several of our classmates are HPSP, so I would suggest contacting the Dean of Admissions or someone in the Office of Student Affairs, and asking to be put in touch with those particular people, if you have specific questions.

Yes, Baltimore is not glamarous. But we who are in med school don't have a whole lot of free time to worry about that. I grew up a couple of miles from the NNMC and USUHS, and it's a completely different world. Bethesda (at least, near NNMC) is suburbia. Bethesda is most certainly not DC. You're going to be shelling out a lot of money to live off-campus (I don't know what kind of student housing they offer.) Growing up, my next-door neighbors always rented their house out to USUHS students, and, although the rent was fair, it was also pretty high. Plus, to live off campus means a commute (and nobody wants to sit on Rockville Pike/Wisconsin Ave during morning rush hour).

It is my understanding that USUHS also demands a longer military commitment than HPSP - 7 years vs. 4, right? However, money is definitely a legitimate issue. If you plan to stay in the military during your medical career, it would probably be more advisable to attend USUHS. Wouldn't you be able to better "network" in circles more specific to your interests (as a military practitioner) if you went to school there? On the other hand, if you are not looking for a long-term military career, maybe you should lean more strongly towards Maryland. I know nothing of your personal goals or preferences, though.

By the way - living on $1,300 a month in Baltimore is not what I would call "stressful" - honestly, many people live on a lot less here.

We recently had a mixer with all of the Maryland medical schools (U of MD, USUHS, and Hopkins). All of the USUHS students that I met/talked to seemed like really nice, mature, intelligent people, but without an air of superiority or pompousness.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about "Top 50 Rankings" - I don't think USUHS is even included in the rankings, so who even knows where it would fall? Both U of MD and USUHS will get you where you want to go. Both are good med schools. It is my understanding, however, that you will have a completely different network of colleages/peers, and which route you go should depend more on your ultimate goals, and less on rankings or finances (either way you go, you won't have much, if any, debt).

Good luck.

Welcome USNDoc. Congrats on your impending graduation from Annapolis; I know a couple of guys from highschool that went to the Naval Academy so I know that in and of itself is an accomplishment to be proud of.

I did interview at USUHS but ultimately chose Maryland. Actually I knew going into my interview season that Maryland was my top choice. However, had I not gotten into Maryland, USUHS would have been a strong contender and money was definitely a big part of that.

USUHS does require 7 years vs. HPSP's 4 years. I'm sure you're aware of all the differentials, but just for anyone that might be listening in: the 7 year commitment does not begin to be paid back until AFTER residency. Additionally, there is no "student housing" but as you already know you are given the same housing allowance as any O-1 while you are a student. I know students at USUHS (who are single) seem to have no issues renting a house together near the school, pooling their BHA. While the rent is high, I think they have all made it work out. Like LW pointed out, I guess the first question I would ask myself, if I were you, is "Am I planning on a long-term military career?" If the answer is no, that's a factor. I assume you already have a service commitment from attending the Naval Academy, so I don't know if that commitment is in addition to that from USUHS or HPSP or can be fulfilled concurrently.

As for the $1300/month, I believe that will be on top of what financial aid you get from the school; in other words, you would still get other aid but would be able to offset loans with free money, but I could be wrong about that. I second LW's suggestion about calling the school and asking to be connected with someone doing HPSP. There have been a couple e-mails from a student who is running a "military medicine interest group" so there are definitely people on HPSP here.

I just sent an e-mail to a couple of the HPSP/military individuals in the 1st year class. As soon as I get the ok from them (I'm sure I will) then I'll PM you their e-mail addresses and you can contact them directly. As much as I would love to be able to help you, I think they are really your best resource.

Whatever you choose, best of luck! Keep us posted.

School rankings mean nothing. Especially if you're going to go to USUHS, they will do quite a bit to keep you in the military perks-wise from what I've heard from their students.

Go where you like it the best. UMD is a great school, but there are certainly benefits elsewhere.

Congrats on getting into school! I just want to also say that at the end of the day, you have to go wherever makes you the happiest--or at least the least anxious lol. Some people say ranking matters, some dont...so long as you do well at the place you choose to go, it definitely wont. Besides, US News is based largely on NIH research dollars which wont have any direct effect on your grades or board scores, which are the most important determinants of the residency match. $1300 a month is actually an easy budget in Baltimore if you live conservatively, you could probably get away with $1000/month.

The only things that should matter in your school choice should be where you feel the best, and where you see yourself going as LW said. If you plan on being in military medicine for a while, USUHS would be a better bet, while if you desire something else, Maryland will probably bet better. I dont know anything about USUHS, but I'm sure that it provides an excellent education. In terms of preparation, I dont think that one school is better than another in making you a good clinician; each has great strengths. Good luck in your choice, and follow your gut!

Hey everyone. I just have a couple of questions for current student and/or incomers. Does anyone know when the first day of school is? I cant seem to find the date anywhere (this would be really helpful when deciding when to move up there). And also, what is the closest bank? Are there ATM machines around campus, and if so, from which banks? thanks in advance

Hey everyone. I just have a couple of questions for current student and/or incomers. Does anyone know when the first day of school is? I cant seem to find the date anywhere (this would be really helpful when deciding when to move up there). And also, what is the closest bank? Are there ATM machines around campus, and if so, from which banks? thanks in advance

Last year, the first day of orientation was on Thursday August 10th. Looking at the 2nd year schedule from last fall and this fall, both start on the following Tuesday. Therfore I think it is safe to assume they will keep the same schedule for 1st years - classes will likely start on Thursday August 9th, 2007.

There is a Bank of America ATM in the hospital. Additionally, there is a BRANCH of M&T Bank in the hospital.

Hey, check out http://medscope.umaryland.edu/

If you base it off of the current first year schedule, and assuming they start in the same week in August, it looks like we will start August 9th with orientation. And from the looks of it, it doesn't seem like we will start "real" classes aka structure and development until Tuesday August 21st. That gives a nice little period to get used to things.

Can anyone shed some light on the "Intro to Clinical Medicine" week in the beginning? Since it's only a week, I am assuming it's mostly seminars and introductory lectures, but do you get tested/graded?

Can anyone shed some light on the "Intro to Clinical Medicine" week in the beginning? Since it's only a week, I am assuming it's mostly seminars and introductory lectures, but do you get tested/graded?

You will get a grade at the end of the year for ICM, but it has pretty much NOTHING to do with the lectures/seminars offered between the more standard academic blocks. You will probably have to write some little 500 word "reflection" on some part of the week and those are graded, but everyone I know usually allots themselves a grand total of 5 minutes to write it. This is the time period when they try to get in some ethics letures, or lectures on the "business of medicine, etc. Go back and look at the schedule from August 2006 (under "lecture schedule") and you'll see the topics I think.

This part of ICM is, IMNSHO, fairly unimportant. I think that it's Maryland's attempt at easing you into the curriculum. You basically go sit in a lecture hall, have someone talk at you for a few hours about a bunch of different topics (some are interesting, some not-so-much), and then you and your classmates head off to the bar afterwards. I think I was sober 1 night out of 5 or 6 during orientation.

For example, some of the topics during our introductory ICM week last year included a very technical/basic-science-heavy lecture on Breast Cancer, a kind of panel/discussion on LGBT issues in medicine - some of them were more like formal lectures, while others were geared toward interactive discussion. There's no test at the end, so don't worry. :D

ICM during the actual school year is my favorite class, hands-down. You get to dress up in your spiffy white coat, go to a hospital, and ask heroin users about their sexual function. Seriously. Thanks to my ICM class, I now know professional-sounding terms like "skin popping," "diseases transmitted by sex," and "fungemia." I can also diagnose botulism on the spot. I know the REAL Greek meaning of "diabetes." I can map out where all of the syphilis hotspots in Baltimore are located (you DON'T want to miss out on these), and I could lecture endlessly on the benefits of using heroin, as opposed to cocaine. Oh, yeah, and I know where just about every methadone clinic in town is located.

People, when you sign up for ICM this coming fall, make sure you're in the group that goes to Union Memorial. Never I dull moment, I tell ya. Never.

LadyWolverine, LucidSplash, MSKalltheway, Pontifex Maximus, thanks for your help! I really got a lot out of what all of you had to say, and the connections you got me with other students. Thanks again for the help and good luck, maybe I'll see y'all next year!

PS. My cerebral Peduncle hurts.

Anyone got a band-aid?

Anyone got any enkephalin or substance P? I may need an epidural bolus for my limbic system so my headache can chill out from all this material!

LadyWolverine, LucidSplash, MSKalltheway, Pontifex Maximus, thanks for your help! I really got a lot out of what all of you had to say, and the connections you got me with other students. Thanks again for the help and good luck, maybe I'll see y'all next year!

Good luck with your decision! Let us know either way...we would love to have you!

Just so you incoming first years know, as I just opened the box for my neuroscience flash cards, apparently Netter (the author of the anatomy atlas we all HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting) is comming out with flash cards...for your iPod. So if you have an iPod video, its something to think about! People have used the flashcards--I think LW mentioned them in a prior post, and I have used them as well--and they're quite good for review and very thorough. Just a thought! I wanted to comment before I forgot this existed.

Oh, btw, apparently they are not released yet, but I figured by the time you guys start they will be out. I personally would still prefer the old school way, but many are more hi-tech than I am, so I figured it would be of interest.

I bought my ipod by reasoning that the lectures next year will be online and therefore I will aaabsolutely neeed it :rolleyes: so hey! another reason to justify that dip into my savings!
Of course now it's practically stuffed with beatles, stones, and The Police.. but no worries, it's aaall about the lectures haha

Why are the crickets chirping on this thread?

ONE MORE EXAM, 2010!!! 3 MORE WEEKS AND WE ARE OFFICIALLY FINISHED WITH 1ST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!

Why are the crickets chirping on this thread?

ONE MORE EXAM, 2010!!! 3 MORE WEEKS AND WE ARE OFFICIALLY FINISHED WITH 1ST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!

Are you going out tonight?

Just wanted to extend the invite to any people reading this thread who currently live in Baltimore and might be looking for something to do - the first years are having a post-exam party tonight at Brewer's Art (in Mount Vernon, on N Charles). People usually start showing up around 7 or 8 pm. Its nothing fancy...but they usually give us some good drink and food specials, and anyone is welcome to come.

(PS - Why does 3 weeks feel like such a long time?!)

Hey, SQ! How are you? I feel like I haven't seen you in ages!
I'm thinking about hitting up this thing tonight, but I'm actually very tired, and I have about 300 things I need to get done in the next 3 weeks. So I'm thinking that perhaps I should stay in and get some of them done. However, Mount Vernon is hard to pass up. Actually, I have yet to see your new place. Are you and Todd up for some flaming doctor peppers? :D

I'll give you call in a lil bit and invite myself over. :)

Hey, SQ! How are you? I feel like I haven't seen you in ages!
I'm thinking about hitting up this thing tonight, but I'm actually very tired, and I have about 300 things I need to get done in the next 3 weeks. So I'm thinking that perhaps I should stay in and get some of them done. However, Mount Vernon is hard to pass up. Actually, I have yet to see your new place. Are you and Todd up for some flaming doctor peppers? :D

I'll give you call in a lil bit and invite myself over. :)

No need to invite yourself..I'll invite you! You are more than welcome to stop by our new place, but its a complete mess right now (trying to move while in med school was not the smartest idea I've had).
Being tired and busy is no excuse...I expect to see you out tonight. :p

(we'll definitely have to have a flaming dr. p night in the near future...maybe to celebrate the end of year one?)

No need to invite yourself..I'll invite you! You are more than welcome to stop by our new place, but its a complete mess right now (trying to move while in med school was not the smartest idea I've had).
Being tired and busy is no excuse...I expect to see you out tonight. :p

(we'll definitely have to have a flaming dr. p night in the near future...maybe to celebrate the end of year one?)

Last night rocked...always fun times when we go out! Sorry that your camera died before you got a picture of LS and I with the "Sweatband Guys" - I don't even remember that, LS had to fill me in this morning about it. I'm still bummed that my dress strap broke - but it's my own fault for trying to pick up Greg.

I'll definitely be out on Saturday - hope to see you there. Perhaps a pre-party at your place? Or maybe we should "invite" ourselves over to Ari's, since he lives closer? :D

P.S. 2011, you must carry on our proud tradition of drinking a bit too much after exams. There's nothing better than partying on a Monday night, and waking up at 7am on Tuesday for class!

For anyone ever trying to help LW into her house after being out on the town, please note that she has TWO sets of keys: one for her car and one for her house. Know this despite how much she might protest that her car keys should open her front door.

ok, a 2011 back in the thread.
my favorite passtime, hasseling the current students.
Ive tried to stalk medscope on info about what kind of stuff (specifically) we'll be covering in year one and the textbooks we'll need but i cant get in w/o a login and password.
My question is what specific books/workbook did you guys purchase for year one? and what do you think is the best way to get ahead for year one? Before you throw rocks at me and tell me that I shouldnt study for anything during the summer, i know how i study and getting ahead while not yet worrying about exams is the best way to study for me.

Hey guys,

Does anyone live in Mount Vernon? I'm trying to find a place to live, and I'm not sure where to start. What are the good parts of Mt Vernon to live in? I mean, I know about Charles st, but not a whole lot else. Or does anyone know of a place to live becoming available for next year?

Thanks.

I should say... a good place to live if you're going to be a MS1 @ maryland next year.

Hey guys,

Does anyone live in Mount Vernon? I'm trying to find a place to live, and I'm not sure where to start. What are the good parts of Mt Vernon to live in? I mean, I know about Charles st, but not a whole lot else. Or does anyone know of a place to live becoming available for next year?

Thanks.

I should say... a good place to live if you're going to be a MS1 @ maryland next year.

Have you tried http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/ it really helped me out.

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about first deposits/deadlines. GW has been sending me lots of mail about their first deposit being due May 15th, and it's making me feel like i've missed something at Maryland. Any ideas??

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about first deposits/deadlines. GW has been sending me lots of mail about their first deposit being due May 15th, and it's making me feel like i've missed something at Maryland. Any ideas??

I doubt they changed anything since when we got accepted, but the beautiful thing about Maryland was...no deposit!!!!! You just have to let them know by the 15th that you accepted the decision, and then you go. You dont have to worry about paying anyting until August, so save your checkbooks until orientation, and I mean that very literally.

ok, a 2011 back in the thread.
my favorite passtime, hasseling the current students.
Ive tried to stalk medscope on info about what kind of stuff (specifically) we'll be covering in year one and the textbooks we'll need but i cant get in w/o a login and password.
My question is what specific books/workbook did you guys purchase for year one? and what do you think is the best way to get ahead for year one? Before you throw rocks at me and tell me that I shouldnt study for anything during the summer, i know how i study and getting ahead while not yet worrying about exams is the best way to study for me.

Board Review Series books (BRS) are generally pretty good - they overview the info and go into a little bit of depth. Probably not much help for anatomy, but for Physiology it was helpful. I used Lippincott's Biochem review for cell and molecular bio - it has good pictures and flow charts to break things down for you (and great if you are a visual learner). For Anatomy, I'd say the 2 big things I used was Netter's atlas and the Netter flashcards. This seemed to be a consensus among most of the class (although some people used Rohen and liked that).

Honestly (you knew I was going to say it), please don't spend your summer studying. If you want to give yourself a bit of a head start, pick up an anatomy atlas and start familiarizing yourself with structures (Maryland starts with the thoracic cavity - heart lungs, etc). I did not do this, and having never taken an anatomy class in my life, I think it would have been a little helpful. Still, without being in class you won't know what areas to focus on, so it might not be worth your time. Just my opinion. If I were you, I would pick up some books or journal articles that you might enjoy reading, and get yourself into a critical thinking/school mind-frame a week or so before class - this is particularly helpful if you are a non-trad student who's been out of school for awhile.

I second Netter and the flashcards. I also know some students used the Grant atlas, but I'm a Netter girl all the way.

For classes, I would give the advise NOT to buy any text books but the following:

Anatomy: Netter, Netter flashcards. I know some people found Sadler's Langman's Medical Embryology useful on occasion for going over detail, but its not absolutely necessary IMHO.
CMB: NO BOOKS. The recommended text is Lehninger which many of you may have from undergrad. I didn't crack it ONCE.
Functional Systems: Blaustein, Kao & Matteson. Cellular Physiology published by Mosby. This is THE note set for the first couple weeks of physiology and a couple of the authors teach it. I found the Mosby cardiology monograph useful, but you can get by without that too.
Neuro: The Haines Atlas. No other texts necessary.

There are a ton of "recommended texts" but unless you are a superhardcore textbook person, save your money. The powerpoints and note sets are so comprehensive except where noted that you will rarely require anything else. Also this is going to sound awful but Wikipedia is the first place I go if I want clarification on something. Oh man, do I :love: Wiki!

If you are a hardcore textbook person and want to know what ALL the recommended texts are, send me a PM and I will do two things: provide you with the complete book lists and the course welcome letters that highlight grading and objectives for learning and I will also sell you most of the books I foolishly purchased before classes began (purchased from a 4th year); I am not a superhardcore textbook person, and most of my books were NEVER cracked so they are in LIKE NEW condition! :D

Dancer:

I posted a rather lengthy message about textbooks a page or 2 back, where I explained what books I found helpful/necessary/unnecessary for all classes. Here's the short of it:
S&D: Netter, Netter flashcards, Langmans (I was one of the people who found this little book to be particularly helpful, but it's not "necessary"). But definitely Netter. Netter is your new bible. You will eat with it, go to school with it, sleep with it. It will be surgically attached to you. There was one point during anatomy where it was the first thing I looked at in the morning, and the last thing I saw before I went to sleep at night. I would fall asleep snuggling Netter close to me, like a hard, rectangular teddy bear.
CMB: Lehninger if you already have it from undergrad/grad school, otherwise, Wiki + lecture notes = enough.
Phys: Mosby Cell and Respiratory phys. Get them. I found the renal one to be rather helpful. Other than that, the notes are good enough.
Neuro: Haines, and that's it.

I have to agree with LS - Wiki is a godsend. I'm sure that it's frowned-upon by some members of the administration, but it's peer-reviewed source, just like all of those fancy medical journals they all read and publish in. And honestly, anything that can break down the dorsal column medial lemniscus pathway in one succinct page, with diagrams, is nothing short of sheer genius. I use Wiki every day when I study. Especially during exam weeks, I always have a window open while I'm watching AVIs or reading notes, just in case I need to call something up very quickly. You'll see what I mean when you get to school - it really is an amazing learning/reinforcing tool. Do not scoff!

Finally, please, please, PLEASE don't try too hard to "self-study" over the summer in hopes of preparing yourself. Perusing Netter may be interesting, if you are curious, but you are going to see so much of that damn book that by October you'll be ready to chuck it through the window. Review books are pretty much useless if you haven't learned the subject/been through the class already (they're called "review books" for a reason). If you are interested in "getting ahead," consider the PSP, which I did last summer - you spend 3 weeks doing anatomy, and 3 weeks doing CMB. I think that it really gave me an edge, and it took a lot of the pressure off during the first few weeks of school.

That is all.

BRS physio is the ish-kabibble. You'll want it for boards anyway, and its a great book, very well written, so get it. And I hate textbooks.

If I were buying first year books all over again: Netter (I had Netter and Rohen, and Rohen was damn near useless for me), Mosby Cell Phys, BRS Phys. That's it. The Netter cards are pretty good, I didn't use them but I got a chance to see the Neuro ones recently and I could see the usefulness. Haines isn't entirely necessary - 95% of the anatomy on the recent practical was straight from lecture slides, and the other 5% from downloadable PPTs linked from Medscope.

Oh, and if you're really dead set on studying, at least check the lecture schedule from anatomy to see where we went and didn't go. There are a LOT of unused plates in Netter. Could be quite frustrating to waste time like that. Familiarize yourself with major stuff.

it's great not having much to do after an exam:D

In addition to class notes/PowerPoints (duh), here's what I used/am using for each block (I also had other sources but never used them or used them just once or twice for clarification):

S&D:
-BRS Anatomy
-Netter's flashcards
-Rohen's Atlas (I hated being in the gross lab for a minute more than I needed to be, so having pictures of the real thing was useful instead of having to go back into the lab afterhours)

CMB:
-Lippincott's Biochemistry

Physio:
-Cellular Physiology (Mosby monograph)
-BRS Physiology
-First Aid

Neuroscience:
-Haines Atlas

I was a big textbook guy in college, but realized about 2/3 of the way into our first block that everything we're expected to know (as far as exams go, atleast) is talked about in lecture by the professor.

I was kind of feeling the same way before med school started -- wanted to preview anatomy. However, I quickly realized that rote memorization of muscles/nerves/vessels outside the confines of exam pressure required a level of determination I just couldn't muster up during the summer. I think I got as far as finishing the anatomy of the spinal cord and back at the end of last summer -- topics we covered in just 2 lectures once classes started. :laugh:

I don't really have much new to add to what my colleagues said, I'm in complete agreement with them all. As far as the only texts and things I liked are, Netter's atlas, Lehninger's Principles of Biochem (its the required text, but my gf and I SWORE by this in college, some people dont like it but I find it almost as good and clutch as McMurry's Organic Chem), Cellular Physiology, BRS Phisiology (only after you've taken each physio course though, Haines Neuroanatomy (HUGE for our dry practicals), and Netter's Anatomy and Neuroanatomy flashcards (they are the wikipedia that is not online!) We had many exams this year where the profs would put the study questions from the textbooks on the exams. It may not be many, but sometimes if you have a 40 question exam and 5 of them are from the textbook (like renal physiology--that admitteldy was the best case tho) you can tell thats a giant chunk of the grade. So all the rest of the texts just for the questions, get them from us soon-to-be second years. I have all the physio and anatomy texts, the two classes they are famous for doing that. If you study dilligently, youll have time to go through these questions, my lab group always did and even if the questions werent repeated, they were great study tools. So dont buy them, ask the classes above you (3rd and 4th years are ALWAYS willing to sell/lend you texts too).

Dancer, as you probably got the sense from everyone else, after going through a year of this, studying over the summer isn't something we readily suggest. LW's suggestion of taking PSP is the best thing I can think of, its taught by 2nd and 4th years I believe (3rd years dont have the time i think) and is a really good preview of our first two courses. If you were to do it on your own, you would probably learn a lot of things you dont need to know, because the lecture material weeds out a lot of the crap you dont need to know for clinic. For example, there are 17 branches of the Maxillary artery, we maybe had to know 8-10 for class. Unless youre an ENT or a maxillofacial surgeon, its pretty unimportant other than that, so they dont have us to know the whole thing. We just dont want any of you to worry about working so much...please enjoy the summer! You'll work hard enough when you get here and will quickly wish the summer was back by the anatomy final lol.

One thing I do think you can review, which is actually even more important than rote memorization at your stage, is being familiar with the terms. If you do that, youll be way more set than you think. We had a lecture on the mediastinum (thorax/chest basically) and can I tell you they used the word costal and I had NO idea what that meant for a week? Its just a damn synonym for ribs!!!!! :laugh: So I would be able to familiarize yourself with saying this is superiolateral to that (instead of above and to the side) or intervertebral foramen (a hole inbetween each vertebrae). You may have known all this already, I'm not trying to teach or anything, but the point is to simplify, because physicians and surgeons want to feel special and have their own language. You'll suck at speaking at first, but once you learn it, you'll sound so smart!

If you guys really wanna try to pre-study some things, PM me and I can also send you some of the notes that we studied from that the faculty provide. Please do enjoy this summer though, you only get one left after this!

PS LW's suggestion of using Wikipedia is one that I like a lot. As she said, I'm sure many would disapprove, and maybe I wouldnt cite it in a paper or anything for that reason, but I think it is great. I've havent come across any errors (in anything that is important for us, at least) and besides, if you look something up, whether from Wikipedia or NEJM, it shouldnt be your ONLY source. You'll have all the course material so if Wiki happens to be wrong, youll know there's a discrepancy. I find it a great source to help clarify certain topics, and an awesome way to gain random knowledge from things you hear in the news everyday ;)

I should add though, I do appreciate the fact that you 2011ers are set and ready to hit the ground running! Its awesome that you all want to prepare yourselves for the beast that is medical school, that drive will help you tons when you get here! Do enjoy your breaks though, this is the last one you'll get where no one cares if you lay on the beach 3 months straight :thumbup:

And for those that are graduating this month CONGRATS!

Hey all,

I am a 29yo male incoming MS1 at Hopkins looking for housemates to share a beautiful Bolton Hill home. Please check out pics here:

http://www.sujaypathak.com/1206bolton.pdf

Three bedrooms are available ranging from $625 - 775/month. The house has a total four brs, 3 full baths. Washer and dryer in the basement, ATD security system, and monthly cleaning service included; utilities not included (split four ways). The house is a few blocks from (5 min) the light rail (howard st./cultural center stop), which takes you within a few blocks of UMD - (lexington mkt. stop). Estimated commute is about 1/2 hour by public transport, 10 min. by car.

Bolton Hill is a gorgeous historic neighborhood in Baltimore with victorian houses built between 1850 and 1900. It's full of interesting folk, including families with young children, artists, musicians and old guard types that have lived there their whole lives - a delightfully eclectic mix. To learn more about this fantastic neighborhood follow this link:

http://www.boltonhill.org

I am friendly and easygoing and want a warm, low key home atmosphere. No preference for sex/age.

If interested, please send a message to my email address: [email protected]

Thanks!

Is anyone looking in the mount vernon or federal hill area for housing, and in need of a roommate?