University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMG thats so funny! I'm going to talk to Dr. Bennet after my last anatomy exam to come and shadow and do research with the sports medicine folks.. I graduated from CP so I am soooo excited work with the athletics dept there. I hope I get to do some cool stuff. I'm just not crazy about family medicine or surgery tho, so PM&R sounds pretty cool. I like the musculoskeletal stuff. It makes a lot of sense to me. I like the biomechanics of it all - like the insertions and origins and angles of rotation and angle of force.. wow ok that really makes me sound like a dork. But its just driving me crazy to have to cram everything in such a short amount of time. Like, I want to learn it more in depth, not just memorize it for a test.

I like the ER b/c its crazy fun, and I worked with a few docs who were so nice and really helpful. People who come in are scared, they don't know whats going on, and it was just awesome to see how much it meant to people to have a doctor who really cared and wanted them to do well.

I actually did clinical research with a PM&R guy at NIH and he had a sweet job. He was trained in accupuncture and we did clinical trials on people with chronic pain. It amazing - we only did one side of the body as part of the trial and the people would beg us to do the other side b/c they had that pain for years and it was the only thing that ever made it go away. I'd like to help people like that. they were some of the most grateful people I've ever seen. I think they would have kissed his feet if he let them. :laugh:

Hell yeah I was at the EMIG meeting! I came in late and made a lot of noise with my sandwitch and chips, then I left early at 12:55 for ICM. I was the girl with black hair in a ponytail wearing a white shirt and brown slacks and sitting on the right side of TLH. I look Mediterranean if that helps at all. but yeah, I was eating a chicken salad sandwitch and looking at the guy who got his face blown off, and I just thought, Man I'll bet that guy didn't make it. Followed by, Man, this is a good sammich. I thought he was funny when he was worried that we were going to pass out. I love stuff like that. Bring it on. :D

Members don't see this ad.

You're a CP alum too? Hell yeah!!! '06 right here baby...if you get in with the athletics dept there let me know, that would be incredible. You know you're watching the game tonight :D I'm getting off SDN now so I actually can! :laugh:

If I remember right, I think one of our fellow 2010ers researched with Dr. Bennett this past summer, so if you decide to work with him, I can have her talk to you about what to expect, etc. He's mad cool, and REAL intense, definitely an orthopod!

I can see it now.

Kara: Future pathologist.
MSK: Future psychiatrist.

As for me, I'll probably end up in OB/GYN. :O

We'll probably have absolutely no idea what we want to do until we actually do it. That's what 3rd year is for. Yay for not having to rule anything in/out yet...

Hooray for ICM and interviewing patients. ICM day always was (and still is) my favorite day of the week.

Members don't see this ad :)
But its just driving me crazy to have to cram everything in such a short amount of time. Like, I want to learn it more in depth, not just memorize it for a test.

PS, this is what I HATE about medical school. There's no time to actually digest anything. Memorize, drop it. On to the next topic. Memorize, drop it. Repeat ad nauseam.

Unfortunately, this only gets worse. Try to be ok with it. Otherwise, you're gonna drive yourself nuts. As a compromise, try using lots and lots of Wiki to supplement and satisfy your curiosity.

I can see it now.

Kara: Future pathologist.
MSK: Future psychiatrist.

As for me, I'll probably end up in OB/GYN. :O

We'll probably have absolutely no idea what we want to do until we actually do it. That's what 3rd year is for. Yay for not having to rule anything in/out yet...

Hooray for ICM and interviewing patients. ICM day always was (and still is) my favorite day of the week.

:barf:

You have to promise you'll shoot me if I ever consider pathology! omg I worked with a pathologist in my old lab - we gave him such a hard time. Like how he only knew what to do with a patient if they were cold and not moving :laugh:

I like ICM. Its a nice change of pace - it reminds me that someday, I'm not going to be buried in books and I will actually be talking to real patients. That seems ages away tho right now. (oh how I hate the cranial nerves....)

You guys coming out to pickles after the exam? I can't wait to get drunk and forget all of this anatomy! :laugh: