University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I am on the waitlist at Maryland right now (first half). I have an acceptance so I will be going to med school. It is just Maryland is cheaper because I am in-state and I also like it a lot. So here is my situation:

I have already submitted a letter of intent (with an update on my activities since AMCAS), along with an extra LOR, and my fall transcript to Dr. Foxwell. I have also had a very good friend of him who turns out to be a very important authority at my undergraduate school talk to him, and I figured out from him that I am very high on the waitlist. I mean I was basically told that if there were any movements, I would have a good chance. So far I have heard nothing back though. I am assuming that there have been no movements yet?:confused:

Well, I recently received my spring grades and they turned out to be all A's. It did not really change anything because I had a 4.0 anyway. Do you guys think I should send my transcript with my spring grades on it to Sr. Foxwell? Considering that I know my position on the waitlist, do you think it really changes anything? Or would it just be an overkill? :confused:

Does anyone here know about waitlist movements this year?

Thanks for your opinion and I hope to join you in Aug.

I would send the spring grades anyway, they cant hurt you by any means. We dont know anything about decisions regarding admissions because they keep it all behind closed doors...there are three 2nd years who get votes on the admissions committee, and they are bound by an oath of silence (I'm cool with that, its the professional way to go). The rest of us are completely ignorant about what goes on with the adcom. Send the last of your grades and keep hope alive, I'm sure there will be some movement between now and August, but I'm not sure how much or what your chances are. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I would send the spring grades anyway, they cant hurt you by any means.

Agreed. Send the grades in. If anything, it shows your continued interest in attending and keeps your name fresh in their minds. There's no guarantee that it will help your cause (especially since you already had a 4.0), but it definitely won't hurt. Good luck! :luck:

Thank you guys! Yeah, I will ask my school to send transcripts directly to Dr. Foxwell. There is just one thing. My degree would not be posted on my transcript until June 14. I mean my grades are there, but my transcript currently says Intended degree.

So do you think I should wait until my degree is posted? I personally do not think it makes much of a difference whether my degree is posted or not. Besides, I should try to get the transcript sent in ASAP anyway, right? My school takes 2-5 days to process official requests. So the more I wait, the more time I lose.

An alternative is for me to get an official transcript and mail it in myself. I think having school send it in is more credible though.

What do you think? Should I ask my school to send my transcript now or should I wait for the degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think? Should I ask my school to send my transcript now or should I wait for the degree?

Def send it now, I wouldnt bother waiting since they'll assume you earned the degree anyways. I know at College Park you can go online and request it to be sent to an address (in this case the office of admissions at UMB) and they will just do it for you. I dunno if your institution has anything like that...but you're good to go other than that.

PS I'm SOOOOOOO doing my residency in Chicago...this place is HOT (no Paris Hilton pun intended...she stole that phrase anyways) Here, Seattle or Cali will do just fine please.

MSK, I used to live in Seattle! I am definitely looking at Washington, Oregon, and Cali for residency...but Chicago? Hell no. Fun to visit, but I never really want to live in the midwest again.

LS and I just got back from MIAMI, where we had a free place to stay and a red mustang convertible for the weekend :) I'm a little red, even with the SPF 30. South Beach was a blast - the water there is so warm!!

Hi everyone,

Do entering MS1's need any other medical clearance other than the immunizations form? I'm going to make an appointment with my dr. to get them done, but wanted to take care of everything at once. Some of the other schools I was admitted to require a full physical. thanks :)

Hi folks! I'm very excited to be joining the Class of 2011 in the fall. To FutureDoc and others out there on the wait list -- keep the faith. Things are moving as of last week (although the admissions office can't give out many details). Also, Lulu8: there is no physical required as far as I know. Maybe wait for one of the MSIIs to confirm?

Second, I need a roommate! I am looking to share a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment within walking distance near campus. I found a great place at the Sail Cloth Factory (amazingly close to class), and I've scouted out several other apartment options as well. Rent will be $660/month before utilities.

I'm a pretty easy guy to live with (I think ;)). Please PM me if you're interested.

Good luck, and can't wait to meet you all in August!

Hi folks! I'm very excited to be joining the Class of 2011 in the fall. To FutureDoc and others out there on the wait list -- keep the faith. Things are moving as of last week (although the admissions office can't give out many details).

Congratulations Terps Fan, and thanks for the update on waitlist movement. I'm also hoping to get accepted off the waitlist at Maryland. Do you know how the admissions office informs people of acceptances at this point (phone call)?

Thanks!

Do you know how the admissions office informs people of acceptances at this point (phone call)?

Yep. Phone call from Dr. Foxwell (mine was late in the afternoon on a weekday), followed by a letter in the mail 2 days later. Good luck dude.

Does anyone know how much is the waitlist moving? How many people do they normally accept from the waitlist? If you're on the top half, what are your chances realistically?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this question may have been answered somewhere but i don't remember...
Current students...what do you guys wear to class? jeans ok? t shirts ok? flip flops? sneakers? (i know i've heard sweat pants, shorts etc. wont fly anymore :(...) or is more like "career clothes"? I know if you have days where you visit the hospital its probably more like career clothes...
anyway whats the scoop?
thanks for all the helpful replies guys!!!

In general, people wear jeans sometimes, or dress up other times. If you have ICM in the afternoon, most will show up to class (if you come to class) wearing those clothes unless they go home to change in between.

I can say that during orientation you're going to get a fairly comprehensive presentation on guidelines for dress. I'm on the professionalism committee and we're taking over the "fashion show" this year. What we were presented with last year was a little bit ambigous and we want to eliminate a lot of the confusion by being clearer.

For class, I can say that sweats and pajamas are frowned upon, as are scrubs. There's probably a big difference in what the faculty would prefer we wear to class and what we as students generally deem acceptable. The overarching point is to remember that this is professional school and whether you're going to be in the hospital or not, there are still patients around and you're going to interact with faculty on almost a daily basis. So while you can wear jeans in a lot of circumstances, they should be clean and neat, not torn, etc. No midriffs showing for girls, etc.

I know who is heading up the fashion show this year and it should be a lot more helpful to you guys than it was to us (what was presented to us was humorous, but not as functional as it could be. The examples were too obvious; we're going to focus on subtleties important in appearance for ICM, etc.)

Current students...what do you guys wear to class? jeans ok? t shirts ok? flip flops? sneakers? (i know i've heard sweat pants, shorts etc. wont fly anymore :(...) or is more like "career clothes"? I know if you have days where you visit the hospital its probably more like career clothes...
anyway whats the scoop?

When I've gone to class (not that often), I've worn all of the above, except for jeans, as I don't wear jeans. Including the shorts or sweats. No one cares. ICM and clinical settings are much different, of course.

hmm, i guess that makes some sense but its still a bit ambigious, though the presentation at orientation should help. Dress at orientation is laid back right?

For orientation it varies. You'll get information about it and they'll let you know ahead of time. I assume it will be the same for you as it was for us - the first day they will encourage you to wear a t-shirt from your undergrad institution. There were a couple shadowing experiences on subsequent days, for which you needed to be in more professional attire, as you would for ICM. They will let you know what the schedule will be on the 1st day, so you'll know how to dress during the rest of orientation.

anyway whats the scoop?
I wear jeans and flip flops almost everyday to class (or khakis, but certainly nothing fancy). The only days I dress up are when I'm in the hospital interviewing patients, or meeting with deans/faculty/etc. Just don't look like you rolled in off the street and you'll be fine (like LS said - I would avoid scrubs, pajamas, torn jeans, etc). There's a huge range in how people dress, though. Most follow what I just mentioned, but there are some students who always dress up a bit for lecture, and a few students who seem to wear pajamas to class like that's all they own. The only time I think the school really care how you look is when you're seeing patients - you want to make a good impression for the school, but also for yourself and the medical profession.

I am one of the students who likes to dress relatively nicely for school (although I don't go to class every day, I do usually go to school daily to go to small group/study in the pods/go to meetings/etc). I sometimes wear jeans, but I hardly ever wear things like tennis shoes, and I wouldn't be caught dead in sweats or pyjamas. (Note that exam days are exempt here - after you've been up for 48 hours straight, you really don't care who sees you looking like a scrub).

Usually, I wear dress slacks, khakis, or a skirt/dress, depending on the weather, and a dressier shirt. However, I believe that my dressing habits are a function of my wardrobe - I spent several years working after undergrad, and compiled a rather extensive collection of "business casual" outfits. Thus, I have more of these kinds of clothes than I do regular casual wear, and since I can't really afford a new wardrobe, I go with what I have.

The bottom line is that you shouldn't look like a scrub, but if all you own are jeans and t-shirts, nobody in your class is really going to care (as long as you look presentable for ICM). There are plenty of students who dress to the nines every single day, and then there are those who only look professional for ICM. Sometimes people ask me, "LW, why are you so dressed up?" But honestly, I like looking nice and professional during the day. You never know who you may run into, and you always want to put your best foot forward. It's not strange to me to have to dress up every day of the week. But I understand that not everyone agrees with this, and I respect their opinions as well. Personally, I feel that people take me more seriously when I dress the part. That's all.

Is anyone taking the pre-matriculation summer program (or are any second-years currently teaching it)? I had planned on taking it before being waitlisted, and was wondering what the program is like.

For all of you on the waitlist this year.......I was on the waitlist last year and I got in at the end of July. I think there were actually only 2 people that were accepted off of it for the c/o 2010. I already see that someone has been taken off the list for c/o 2011 so I think more people will come off of it this year compared to last.

I would definitely recommend sending in information that can help boost your application. If you have any questions about waiting and deciding what to do, just email me [email protected]

Also, the advice from other students on here is excellent! Many of these same people helped me out when I got off the waitlist and had only 2 weeks to move and totally change my medical school plan.

Howdy,

Congrats to all my fellow '11 classmates! I'm new to federal student loans and indicated in my financial aid paperwork that I want the school to be my lender for my subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans. I have yet to receive a promissory note for either of these loans. Is anyone in a similar situation? When should I expect the promissory note(s)? Have you already received promissory notes for Stafford loans?

Thanks.

Hey Dre,

The only promissory note i had to fill out was the Perkins.
If there is anything holding up your loans then you might wanna check www.simsweb.umaryland.edu. Login and look under financial aid -> eligibility -> student requirements & holds.
Good luck with everything.

im happy to be joining everyone in b-more on aug 9.. =)

so i have a question im hoping someone might be able to answer. im looking for a room to rent that is close enough to walk to school, but I'm not sure how much I should plan on spending on rent. any suggestions? I think I'm going to be looking in Ridgley's Delight (sp?), just a suggestion from a MS-3 friend of mine. I got the standard 46K loan package I guess (no outside assistance). I just really dont know what to look for or expect in terms of rent. I have a car that I'll need to leave parked wherever I live, so I'm also not sure which neighborhoods are safe, other than Ridgleys. I'm going to hit up the off-campus housing site and try to find a place this week so any advice would be most appreciated.. :) Thanks in advance!!

and Go Terps! =)

and also, is the university housing something i should consider?

Most places end up around 1000 for a single, and ~600 or so with roommates. Pascault Row is not a nice place to live, IMO, but the Suites are nice - however pricey.

Most places end up around 1000 for a single, and ~600 or so with roommates. Pascault Row is not a nice place to live, IMO, but the Suites are nice - however pricey.

yeah ill be leaning towards the more "affordable" option. i dont think i could pay the rent on my own apartment, let alone afford furniture for it.. :laugh:

Thanks for the advice. :)

im happy to be joining everyone in b-more on aug 9.. =)

so i have a question im hoping someone might be able to answer. im looking for a room to rent that is close enough to walk to school, but I'm not sure how much I should plan on spending on rent. any suggestions? I think I'm going to be looking in Ridgley's Delight (sp?), just a suggestion from a MS-3 friend of mine. I got the standard 46K loan package I guess (no outside assistance). I just really dont know what to look for or expect in terms of rent. I have a car that I'll need to leave parked wherever I live, so I'm also not sure which neighborhoods are safe, other than Ridgleys. I'm going to hit up the off-campus housing site and try to find a place this week so any advice would be most appreciated.. :) Thanks in advance!!

and Go Terps! =)

and also, is the university housing something i should consider?

Aug. 9th is it? Ha I had no idea...I dont even know when the MS-2's start!! The 14th or something? But anyway, one quick note about having your car around...when you have it parked dont leave anything laying around in it, like CD's, blankets, clothing, or anything else that can be stolen of value, just put it in the trunk is what id suggest. Even if you commute like I do, its pretty necessary, I've heard stories...

I finally have internet at my place here in Chicago!!! I love it here, but I miss you guys though! I hope everyone is having a great, relaxing summer!

T-6 hours until I leave for the airport to fly off to Africa!!!! Class of 2011, I leave you in the extrememly capable hands of my classmates until August 4th. Take care and ENJOY your last 5 weeks before med school completely takes over your life!!!

Does anyone know what the Step 1 board pass rate is at U of M SOM? And what the average score is? What is the average score for the country? I heard, by word of mouth, that Uof M has really high passage rates and i'd like to find out more info if anyone knows.

thanks!

Does anyone know what the Step 1 board pass rate is at U of M SOM? And what the average score is? What is the average score for the country? I heard, by word of mouth, that Uof M has really high passage rates and i'd like to find out more info if anyone knows.

thanks!

Our pass rate is 97%, which is higher than the national average. I'm not sure what our average score is, but I would guess that it is around average or a little higher.

thanks for the info! Is there a way to find out what the board scores are for various schools?

thanks again

thanks for the info! Is there a way to find out what the board scores are for various schools?

thanks again

Some schools publish their avg Step 1 score and I was able to find some of them by going to other class threads and doing a search for it. Our school doesn't publish that data for some reason...but I would imagine the scores we generate are good since many of the students tend to match at quality academic centers, which tend to be more selective with Step 1 scores. (An aside, dont put much stock into match data either, people tend to say "ooooo! This school matches 8 people into derm every year!" when in fact specialty choices have little to nothing to do with class performance as a whole...)

Not to be confrontational, but is there really any value in knowing a schools USMLE pass rate? The vast majority of material in medical school is self-taught (at least in my experience), so really, the most important factor in determining your future USMLE score is your own work ethic. So what if you go to a school that has a Step 1 average of 230? That's no guarantee that you will do well. You can get a 250+ at Podunk U, or fail at Hahhhvahhhhd. It's completely up to you, and dependent on how you use your time and resources.

Like I said, not to be argumentative, but I don't really understand why some applicants allow their medical school choices to be influenced by things like Step 1 averages and match lists. (I think it's more for bragging rights about one's school, than actually of any value.) There are so many factors that go in to determining both of these things - there is no simple equation, e.g. "If I go to school X, I will get Y score on the USMLE." Just pick a place where you are happy, work really, really hard, and you will do fine. It's OK to be curious, but I think it's pretty silly to allow Step 1 averages to affect your decision.

Are those crickets I hear?So I hear we're supposed to be receiving something these days, but I'm on the opposite side of the globe for a while.. can someone tell me what's up?

Hey everyone,

I just got a call today that I got off the University of Maryland School of Medicine waitlist! I am really excited. I just wanted to say hi to everyone in this forum. I am sure at some later point I will have questions, but now I'm just sitting back in happiness :oops:)

Not to be confrontational, but is there really any value in knowing a schools USMLE pass rate?

Nope, can't think of a reason why!

You can get a 250+ at Podunk U, or fail at Hahhhvahhhhd. It's completely up to you, and dependent on how you use your time and resources.

You know whats funny LW? Some dude in my program here in Chi-town actually told me that Harvard students dont tend to do all that well on Step 1 on the whole. Thats just hearsay, but youre right, its one of those stats that leads to pissing contests i suppose. Thats part of the reason I shy away from academic medicine...unless its RIC PM&R of course :D, the docs at Hopkins seem pretty cool too from what I've seen, but I digress...

But seriously, your Step 1 score is solely reliant on your ability to memorize "USMLE Step 1 First Aid" from cover to cover, or so one of the Chief Residents here told us today (in talking to others its pretty accurate advice). You probably dont need medical school class instruction to do that.

Like I said, not to be argumentative, but I don't really understand why some applicants allow their medical school choices to be influenced by things like Step 1 averages and match lists.

Funny you say that, I actually didnt know such things existed when I applied (all I could concentrate on was trying to be MSKalltheway MD), only afterward when we started feverishly typing to Dr. Andersons first embryology lecture :laugh: Oh btw, Haaaahhhhvad just accepted me as a transfer applicant for the 2nd year, I decided I liked their match list better :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ok I'm done with the joking now, I really need to work on my reserach and not let SDN distract me so much :thumbdown:

Oh, and because I'm feeling extra giving today, I was told about this website that has a whole "chapter" for tons and tons of clinical disorders: www.emedicine.com

Its largely useless for 1st year, good for 2nd year, but glorious for the clinical years.

It seems that one person has gotten into Maryland off the waitlist very recently. So I guess there is still movement. I am kind of discouraged now though. It is getting too late; I am already getting ready to start medical school elsewhere. I am actually moving in on Aug. 1. See, waiting on Maryland has been a challenge. I mean, I want to buy a laptop, but my dad keeps telling me that I should wait to make sure about Maryland's final decision, considering the fact that they have a laptop program. I am thinking that I should go ahead and get one anyway. What do you think?

The school that I have gotten into now has overaccpected this year. They sent us an email a couple of days ago regarding deferment, encouraging us to apply to other schools for those of us who are worrying about the out of state tuition. Of course, I am sure all of the out of state students including myself would like to get into their state schools. However, when I think about it, I just cannot envision myself going through another application cycle.

Besides, I remember someone was saying that if a person gets into any U.S. medical school they should go unless they have a VERY valid reason. I understand that I got this email from my med school encouraging us to reapply to other schools. But, what are the real chances of really improving my chances, considering that it is already mid-July?

In the end, I don't think the out of state tuition will come to matter that much. What I mean is yeah, it is much better to have less loans. I have looked into some scholarships, but I have not been able to find any good ones. Do you guys have any suggestions? Based on what I know the difference in paying off out of state vs. in-states loans will not be that bad. In-state people might end up paying say $600/ month, and out of state would pay $1000. As a physician, I don't think that this will seriously challenge our standard of living, will it?

I just think that I should be happy that I got into med school, study well, and become a good doctor. I am sure a good physician in a good specialty will be able to pay off their loans.

I have found the members of this thread very supportive as I have posted here in the past. :) But I think even if I get into Maryland in August I will go, even though I would have a lot of catching up to do, such as all the financial aid forms, finding housing, etc.

I have already sent my spring transcript to Maryland, but I am thinking about calling them this week to see what's going on with them. I was out of the country for about a week and my cell phone (which I had indicated as my primary phone) was off. However, I checked my messages while there to see whether I had received a message from Maryland. No news. Anyway, this post is getting too long. Thanks for your advice guys, and I still hope I can join you. ;)

Hi Futuredoc1364. I'm in the same situation as you - waitlisted at Maryland and planning to move on August 1st to attend another school. I was on vacation for a week and checked my voicemail everyday - the one time I did have a message, it wasn't from Dr. Foxwell. I too wouldn't want to go through another application cycle - it's too much effort and risky (what if you're not accepted the second time around). Right now, I'm finalizing my housing plans and working on the pre-matriculation checklist for the school I was accepted at...but I haven't bought a laptop just yet. I guess we need to continue to be patient for the remaining couple of weeks before school starts. Whatever happens is for the best :)

It seems that one person has gotten into Maryland off the waitlist very recently. So I guess there is still movement. I am kind of discouraged now though. It is getting too late; I am already getting ready to start medical school elsewhere. I am actually moving in on Aug. 1. See, waiting on Maryland has been a challenge. I mean, I want to buy a laptop, but my dad keeps telling me that I should wait to make sure about Maryland's final decision, considering the fact that they have a laptop program. I am thinking that I should go ahead and get one anyway. What do you think?

The school that I have gotten into now has overaccpected this year. They sent us an email a couple of days ago regarding deferment, encouraging us to apply to other schools for those of us who are worrying about the out of state tuition. Of course, I am sure all of the out of state students including myself would like to get into their state schools. However, when I think about it, I just cannot envision myself going through another application cycle.

Besides, I remember someone was saying that if a person gets into any U.S. medical school they should go unless they have a VERY valid reason. I understand that I got this email from my med school encouraging us to reapply to other schools. But, what are the real chances of really improving my chances, considering that it is already mid-July?

In the end, I don't think the out of state tuition will come to matter that much. What I mean is yeah, it is much better to have less loans. I have looked into some scholarships, but I have not been able to find any good ones. Do you guys have any suggestions? Based on what I know the difference in paying off out of state vs. in-states loans will not be that bad. In-state people might end up paying say $600/ month, and out of state would pay $1000. As a physician, I don't think that this will seriously challenge our standard of living, will it?

I just think that I should be happy that I got into med school, study well, and become a good doctor. I am sure a good physician in a good specialty will be able to pay off their loans.

I have found the members of this thread very supportive as I have posted here in the past. :) But I think even if I get into Maryland in August I will go, even though I would have a lot of catching up to do, such as all the financial aid forms, finding housing, etc.

I have already sent my spring transcript to Maryland, but I am thinking about calling them this week to see what's going on with them. I was out of the country for about a week and my cell phone (which I had indicated as my primary phone) was off. However, I checked my messages while there to see whether I had received a message from Maryland. No news. Anyway, this post is getting too long. Thanks for your advice guys, and I still hope I can join you. ;)

Hey, I'm in the same boat as both of you. I'll be moving to my OOS private school on the 31st. I've pretty much given up on Maryland, I didn't even bother nagging people once I saw that I was on the bottom half of the waitlist. It just goes to show that this was a very competitive year. The school that I was accepted to was oversubscribed as well. Although I didn't get a letter encouraging reapplying, I think that is very bad advice. It's true that in-state tuition is much less than OOS (roughly 80K plus higher moving expenses), but you also need to factor in that by applying later you'll start your income track a year later. It'll probably take a M.D more than a year to pay off the higher amount of loans, but you couldn't pay me to go through the admissions process again :p.

In the end, as long as you're happy at your medical school, and work your butt off, I'm sure you can become a great doctor. In terms of loans, the monthly payback is inversely proportional to the total time you spend paying off your loan. There are many loan amount calculators, which I'm sure you can search for. By paying over a longer time period you can pay the same amount/month as the in-state folks, and thereby enjoy the same young doctor "lifestyle" as your in-state collegues. However you will be paying off the loans for much longer than them. The last time I ran some scenarios, a 30 year pay-back would require that I pay 700+ per month, with a total payback amount of nearly half a million dollars :eek:. (damn miracle of compound interest working against you)

So, yeah, I'll be applying for scholarships next year. Congrats to all you Marylanders, who made the cut :)!

Thanks for your responses guys. I am actually on the top half of the waitlist. A person of very high authority from my undergrad school had talked to Dr. Foxwell about two months ago, and was told that I am very high on the waitlist. That's why I have not given up hope completely. Also, based on what I remember, last year some people got in very late in July.

Cakebaker2, so I guess you will wait to buy a laptop until your orientation begins and you don't hear from Maryland, right? I just want to get it before school starts though, because I heard the first couple of weeks of med school will be very rough, and I don't want to have to worry about not having a laptop (I do have a desktop though :D).

Anyway, good luck to you guys whereever you go to med school. :luck:

Just got orientation stuff in the mail...Yipeeee!!!! I was beginning to think that they forgot about me... I have a questions maybe c/o 2011 folks, or better yet, c/o 2010 folks can answer. On the first page, it mentions something about wearing your undergrad T-shirt to the 1st day of orientation. Then halfway through the packet (Professionalism Committee letter), it states to "Dress to Impress," since we will be taking pictures and that picture will be carried forth for the next 4 years for staff and faculty to see.

Basically, I'm asking, should I be wearing my Terp head dress and Fear the Turtle thong or something similar to what I wore to interviews... See you all in 3 weeks.....

Yeah, from my very, very vague recollection I wore regular stuff the first day. We didnt get our IDs and stuff for a couple days im pretty sure and thats the day that youll have to dress up. That actually might be orientation day 3 or something. Dont quote me on that, they will tell you on the first day what the orientation schedule is and will let you know when to doll up.

Basically, I'm asking, should I be wearing my Terp head dress and Fear the Turtle thong or something similar to what I wore to interviews...

Terps undies??? Thats straight up Bonnie Bernstein right there. I dont know you (either maybe i do already or soon will) but I like your style! :love:GO TERPS:love:

Just got orientation stuff in the mail...Yipeeee!!!! I was beginning to think that they forgot about me... I have a questions maybe c/o 2011 folks, or better yet, c/o 2010 folks can answer. On the first page, it mentions something about wearing your undergrad T-shirt to the 1st day of orientation. Then halfway through the packet (Professionalism Committee letter), it states to "Dress to Impress," since we will be taking pictures and that picture will be carried forth for the next 4 years for staff and faculty to see.

Basically, I'm asking, should I be wearing my Terp head dress and Fear the Turtle thong or something similar to what I wore to interviews... See you all in 3 weeks.....

Ill be the Mediterranean-looking chick wearing a D'Quell Jackson jersey and jeans. Holla!

Go Terps!

Thanks for your responses guys. I am actually on the top half of the waitlist. A person of very high authority from my undergrad school had talked to Dr. Foxwell about two months ago, and was told that I am very high on the waitlist. That's why I have not given up hope completely. Also, based on what I remember, last year some people got in very late in July.

Cakebaker2, so I guess you will wait to buy a laptop until your orientation begins and you don't hear from Maryland, right? I just want to get it before school starts though, because I heard the first couple of weeks of med school will be very rough, and I don't want to have to worry about not having a laptop (I do have a desktop though :D).

Anyway, good luck to you guys whereever you go to med school. :luck:

Hi Futuredoc1364. I'm in the top half of the waitlist too although I don't know what position. I wasn't sure if there was any possibility of increasing your chances once you've been placed on the waitlist, but I've sent in a couple of update letters to Dr. Foxwell. I'm planning to buy a laptop within the next week or so, since after that things would get busy with moving and orientation.

imagined space, I feel the same way about not wanting to go through the admissions process again. All the best to everyone :thumbup:

Hey guys...

For those of you on the waitlist, it is my understanding that, for the past few years at least, there has been very, very little waitlist movement. I was told that this is because the people who get accepted to Maryland tend to go to Maryland (instead of trading the acceptance in for a more expensive, private school). That being said, one of my classmates (Kat here on SDN) was all set to go to another school, and then, less than 2 weeks before school started, got word from Maryland that she came off the waitlist. However, I think this is a rare case - I know the person who withdrew that bumped the waitlist up, and it was incredibly last-minute.

This isn't meant to discourage you or to tell you to give up hope. But if you have an acceptance to another school, I think you should keep that acceptance, and make plans as though you were going there. That way, if you don't get in to UMD off the waitlist, you have a back-up option. But, if you are one of those rare, lucky people who gets a phone call the Friday before classes begin, you can always change plans on the fly and do what my classmate did.

Good luck, you guys, wherever you end up.

Yeah, from my very, very vague recollection I wore regular stuff the first day. We didnt get our IDs and stuff for a couple days im pretty sure and thats the day that youll have to dress up. That actually might be orientation day 3 or something. Dont quote me on that, they will tell you on the first day what the orientation schedule is and will let you know when to doll up.

I'll second this. I actually remember that the same error was made in our orientation packets last year - but I'm not really surprised it went unfixed. To be clear, you don't have to be in business casual the first day and you should wear a shirt from your undergrad alma mater, if possible. We actually received a clarification e-mail about this prior to orientation and I'm sure you will as well. But don't stress it, you won't need to have your picture taken or go anywhere where youll need to be dressed professionally on that first day.

Cheers!