University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!

I was wondering what your opinions are on the note taking service. Is it useful? Can we even opt out of it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no notetaking service at U of Maryland. Each lecture is recorded (both in .mp3 and .avi format), so that you may re-listen/watch at your leisure. The powerpoints for the lectures are usually posted by at least the night before (some are posted many days in advance), and most of the lectures come with an associated noteset. Those that don't have a noteset usually have a reading assignment (this was mainly for a couple of physiology subjects).

In my opinion, I would prefer a note-taking service to the notesets that are provided, as the notes do not always match up well with the lecture/powerpoint. (For example, the notetaking service at Georgetown is absolutely phenomenal.) However, the .avis are absolutely fantastic, and I a great deal of my classmates (myself included) use them on a regular basis.

Honestly, you will find that you have so many resources at your disposal, between lectures, powerpoints, .avis, your own lecture notes, textbooks, pictures, atlases, lecture notesets, etc., that you will only have time to regularly use 2 or 3 sources.

Thanks for the response, lady wolverine. It's funny to hear that UM doesn't have a note-taking service since it is listed on our student budget.

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is that the "note-taking service" line item in the budget is really just the portion of the budget that goes towards printing costs. Last year was the first year that we were not given a preprinted package of the notes at the beginning of each section. From what I hear from the class above us, this is because many people indicated they did not use it on a regular basis (because of the power points and .avi files) and that professors were notorious for updating their notes just prior to lecture making the notes in the package obsolete. So instead of giving us the note set ahead of time, you print whatever you want on your own. There are printers in the pods that you can print from and you are given an insane allottment (in pages). I don't really know of anyone that used all of theirs. The note taking line item in the budget probably covers the paper and ink which can be expensive as they are laser printers. Hope that helps!

Hey guys, I am on the waitlist at Maryland. I have to admit I have probably posted here around 1000 times so you all know me well:D. Based on what I understand, the last day to get in off the waitlist is Aug. 9. So is that the beginning of orientation?

I figured since August 9 is exactly two weeks from today, I go ahead and pick up a laptop. Most retail stores have a 14-day return policy, so if I get into Maryland, I could still return the laptop in upto two weeks (even though I have to pay a small fee). Also, what kind of laptop does Maryland buy for you guys? How much does it cost?:confused:

But realistically, if I get in like 3 days before orientation, isn't it going to be extremetly challenging to get ready for orientation and classes in such a short period of time? :scared:

Hey guys, I am on the waitlist at Maryland. I have to admit I have probably posted here around 1000 times so you all know me well:D. Based on what I understand, the last day to get in off the waitlist is Aug. 9. So is that the beginning of orientation?

I figured since August 9 is exactly two weeks from today, I go ahead and pick up a laptop. Most retail stores have a 14-day return policy, so if I get into Maryland, I could still return the laptop in upto two weeks (even though I have to pay a small fee). Also, what kind of laptop does Maryland buy for you guys? How much does it cost?:confused:

But realistically, if I get in like 3 days before orientation, isn't it going to be extremetly challenging to get ready for orientation and classes in such a short period of time? :scared:

Honestly, no. The only thing you have to worry about is showing up on the first day in clothes. Underwear would be advisable as well :laugh:

But seriously no worries, there's nothing you need to do beforehand that you NEED to do before orientation, if I remember correctly. Prep would make things easier for you, but its by no means necessary. You dont have a lot of the things you need to get the school year started until after orientation anyways...

Oh, a checkbook in hand all days of orientation may be useful. Dont remember when, but at least on the second day I think. Good :luck:!

Hey guys, do you know what day the white coat ceremony is?

Also, class of 2010, I got a list of textbooks both recommended/required with my orientation packet - do I need to get those books before class starts?

Thanks!!

Laptops: I assume you will get the newest version of what we received last year. IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T60p is our version. The cost is built into the tuition/budget the first two years - the cost is around $2k.

White Coat: Maryland does not hold the white coat ceremony until after you have finished Structure & Development. So, sometime in November. Last year it was November 2nd, I assume it will be AROUND the same date but not exactly. I actually like it better this way, as opposed to schools that do it right at the beginning. To me, having made it through S&D in tact, I felt like I earned the white coat. :) But I am sort of a sentimental sap.

Textbooks: Have been covered extensively in this thread. I would not recommend buying ANY textbooks before orientation. Most of them you don't need. Get the anatomy atlas and I think the embryo book was helpful. I like Netter, other people like Grants. It's personal preference. Try and page through both before deciding which you like better. You don't need your own copy in lab, as there are copies of both Netter and Grants in the lab that are already all gross (pun not intended). Your own copy will be for self study only.

But many upperclassman are willing to part with these books for less than you would pay elsewhere and they are easy enough to get at bookstores and online during orientation. For most of my classmates, books are the least looked-to source of information. You will have lecture notes, power points, video capture (.avi) of all lectures. I do recommend the Netter Anatomy flashcards and I don't think those are on the list. I did not really find the histology book helpful as there are huge online resources you will have access to with histology images, in addition to the glass slides if you want them.

Do a search in this thread for previous lengthy discussions about textbooks.

Hey 2011! Hope you guys are enjoying what little bit of summer you have left! There have been lots of posts asking about textbook recommendations and requirements. My advice to you is to search this thread, as there has been LOTS of really great discussion about what textbooks you will need for each block. In my own personal experience, the only books/resources you need for S&D (the first block) are: Netter Atlas, Netter flash cards, and Langman's Medical Embryology. Some people will argue with me about the last point, but I found it to be useful. But, then again, I really enjoyed embryology, which is a topic that most people loathe with a passion. Also, don't waste money buying Moore or any other textbook of anatomy. You don't need it. Trust me.

For the most part, Netter is your man. No other book is necessary...I bought the other books from half.com for super cheap, and all I used them for were exam questions. Of course, it took me until the third exam to become savvy enough to look in those books for the couple of questions they would ask...its not worth spending the money for ~5 questions per exam (not when they are 150 questions long...), just borrow them from me!

In my own personal experience, the only books/resources you need for S&D (the first block) are: Netter Atlas, Netter flash cards, and Langman's Medical Embryology. Some people will argue with me about the last point, but I found it to be useful.

Oh good God, ANYTHING to make embryology more clear! You won't here me argue this at least :laugh:

By the way 2010ers, I have a question for you guys. I've been talking to some of the 4th years here at Northwestern, and it sounds like from their third years they have 12hr days, call q5, and 1 day off per week...have you heard the same from our students? Obviously family med and psych wont be so demanding, more like medicine and surgery, but I'm just curious to know what you heard because from some of our own, I get the impression that its not demanding like that...

Dont get me wrong, I dont mind working hard, its what I signed up for- but I think Id rather not go into 3rd year thinking its like a 9-5 when its not though :laugh:

Wow, MSK, I read that schedule and though, "that's pretty light!" 12 hr days, 6 days a week is about 72 hours/week. Plus q5, it's around 80 hrs/week, maybe a little more. I think that this is about the norm, anywhere you go. Like you said, certain rotations are more cush, while others may be more psychotic, but I think that, for the most part, you are lucky to have a day off a week. 9-5 is definitely out for most rotations.

I think that, for some, we need to be there around 5 or 6 am, and we may stay 12 or more hours. Not sure. I'll talk to one of the 3rd years tomorrow, and see what he says.

Thanks LW! That sounds a bit better now...that's a lot more like medicine to me! Its hard work, but being on the floors is so much fun and so much better than the classroom. Can't wait for 3rd year!!!

And of course I'm looking really forward to seeing all of you! It's been too long...any plans for a drunkfest before classes start?

Members don't see this ad :)
I miss you too, MSK!
And we really should have a pre-2nd year bar crawl or something. How bout the Monday before school starts? :D

Hey 2010ers....do you remember when we got our laptops last year? My lil' sib is asking, and I can't for the life of me remember which day.

Hey 2010ers....do you remember when we got our laptops last year? My lil' sib is asking, and I can't for the life of me remember which day.

If I remember correctly it isn't until the last day of orientation, I think it was on the Monday. I remember feeling the frustration of not being able to crack them open yet because we got them, but didnt get to use them until the next morning when they gave us the set up info...I'm sure they will do the same thing this year too!

Hi everybody, looking forward to meeting my fellow first years tomorrow....

Just a heads up: the detailed schedule of events is up on medscope and it seems photos are indeed tomorrow (perhaps especially relevant to those of the thong/headdress persuasion ;)).

Hmmm it seems they may have switched it up this year...oh well, I could be completely wrong about that.

A word of advice for all the 1st years...make sure to enjoy this next week and a half thoroughly! Get to know your classmates, spend time with your family, sig others, whoever...cause you dont actually DO anything until the 21st! Things will be much different when you're listening to Dr. Anderson's 8am embryology lecture, hehehe...you'll all be fine though, no joke. If I made it through, none of you should have a problem!

Oh, and if you want to come find me, I'll be the guy promoting the "Rehabilitation Interest Group" HARD. Identify yourselves and I'll give you a big hug...okay fine its optional, I'd be impressed if anyone actually wanted one :laugh:

Oh, and btw, a couple of other easily identifiable SDNers: LW does wear that mask all day long with Michigan sweats and a t-shirt, and PM is really Reuben Studdard. He will also be wearing a Terrapins thong with low-rise jeans and the straps straddling his iliac crests oh-so-nicely.

what exactly are we doing in ICM that first week? are they just throwing us into the hospital with random people to shadow or are we going to be in groups?

woot first day of school tomorrow!

what exactly are we doing in ICM that first week? are they just throwing us into the hospital with random people to shadow or are we going to be in groups?

If its anything like last year, you'll be in groups of about 4-5. Beyond that, you'll probably be watching videos or sitting through presentations on clinical medicine-related stuff. I vaguely remember a powerpoint about breast cancer research that was being conducted at UMD.

You'll shadow (or tour around) in whatever department they assign you to for a couple hours. Most of orientation is just lectures on this and that administrative junk or the CHALLENGES OF MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! :scared:

It's not so bad. Just try to stay awake long enough to go home and nap before heading out to the bars.

I am in the fashion show tomorrow. Please, for my sake, no flash photography. Especially if you are sitting in the front row. :D

Have a good time tomorrow, 2011s! Try not to feel overwhelmed over the next 2 weeks. And, like MSK said, make sure you make an effort to go out to the events that have been planned. I know that most of us really enjoyed those happy hours and events that 2009 had planned for us.

Those 2010s that I will see tomorrow for the first time in 10 weeks - watch out for the scary-clown-hug-tackle. I've missed you guys! :)

I unfortunately wont be able to make it to the fashion show, I'm going back to NY 'cause its my mom's birthday this weekend. Maybe no flash photography for LW, but you may want to have it for that crazy Pakistani Pimp I always hang around...ya'll know who I'm talking about. PM has been trying to find out what he's gonna do, but trust me, PLEASE bring a camera, it will be such great blackmail...sophomore sillies material even, I promise!

LW, save that scary-clown-hug-tackle for me when I come back, I'm looking forward to it! :D

hmm, after living in college park for 4 years, not really.

I was worried about walking to school, but its ok, b/cI still have my can of mace from when I was living in CP. :D

2nd day of orientation - check. :)

lady wolverine - which one were you in the fashion show?

haha yeah...I was the shorter of the 2 girls in the really short skirts. I didn't have time to tuck my stupid shirt in before I had to get back up onstage at the end. fyi, untucked shirts are not appropriate ICM-wear :D

Were any of you guys in my discussion group from 4-5? My group had the guy from Seattle.

i just wanted to take this time to say that I officially hate embryology. :sleep:

i just wanted to take this time to say that I officially hate embryology. :sleep:

lol....Just wait till you get to the embryology of the heart. :eek:

Seriously, hang in there. Use Langman's, and try to draw it out on a whiteboard. *TRY* really, really hard to find something interesting about it. The more I drew it out, the more interesting it became. Also, find little movies/animated clips online (or in the Langman's CD), and watch them over and over and over again. That really helped me.

i think my brain is still protesting all of the studying i did this weekend. i am so not getting anything accomplished today.. :D

Hey LadyWolverine - thanks for warning me about embryo.. it was awful, but its over now! and the exam (i thought) was really not that bad. hope your exam went well! I hear it was brutal.

Hey LadyWolverine - thanks for warning me about embryo.. it was awful, but its over now! and the exam (i thought) was really not that bad. hope your exam went well! I hear it was brutal.

I hope her exam went well too, mine sure didn't! :laugh:

Be prepared, you still have more embryo to go, just not as often. I'm glad it wasn't a terrible experience though, it def helps to get the first one behind you and not feel like it was a killer. I hope that it went well for you and all the rest of the 1st years!

Now I need to get off SDN and study. I cant stay frontin' like i can afford the week off like in the past :thumbdown:

i think my brain is still protesting all of the studying i did this weekend. i am so not getting anything accomplished today.. :D

Hey Kara, no problem. I think that everyone always really freaks out about the first exam, and then a few of the people who studied a whole lot finally take it, and they're like, that was it? But there are also a great deal of students who really struggle with that first exam (and, honestly, I don't think "amount studied" always correlates with performance - sometimes it seems really unfair). But, it's good that you didn't think it was too horrible. The whole process is really draining - its an exercise of both mental and physical stamina.

The embryo really tapers off after this. The sucky part is that anatomy really starts to pick up. Prepare yourself - by the end of S&D it'll be moving so fast that you feel like you don't even have time to breathe. Just try to keep up as best you can - there's a white coat waiting for you at the end. :)

The HDID exam was absolutely brutal. I think it was the hardest exam we've had yet, both in terms of the material, and in the way that the questions were written. It's like they were being EXTRA mean, especially to those of us who were sleep-deprived and having difficulty focusing on the questions. I hit submit with 20 minutes left to go, and I wasn't even one of the last people to finish (its rare for an exam to take that long). The sad thing is that I think that's going to be par for the course for the rest of the year. Time to really step up the prep efforts. But, hey, 1 down, 2 to go, right?

PS MSK, I totally missed that stupid nutrition question. All I had to do was skim the chart from the paper that morning, but noooooooooooo.

Prolly not the thread for me to be posting in but I soooooooo wanna go here. You all seem so friendly and down to earth!!! I would start the 2012 thread, but I haven't even received my secondary yet (I know I'm late by SDN standards).

Anyways, I hope you all have a great year!

SDN is a different, somewhat abnormal representation of medical school application. Somehow, more pissing contests occur on the pre-med and med forums than in the real world (I'm still wondering how thats possible!), fortunately as you pointed out, my classmates tend to be different :D.

Prolly not the thread for me to be posting in but I soooooooo wanna go here. You all seem so friendly and down to earth!!! I would start the 2012 thread, but I haven't even received my secondary yet (I know I'm late by SDN standards).

Anyways, I hope you all have a great year!

I wouldnt worry so much about the secondary, I didnt submit mine until the end of October if that helps you out any. When I was coming through, my pre-med advisor told me that UMAB runs on a slightly later schedule when compared to other schools. :luck: to you!

SDN is a different, somewhat abnormal representation of medical school application. Somehow, more pissing contests occur on the pre-med and med forums than in the real world (I'm still wondering how thats possible!), fortunately as you pointed out, my classmates tend to be different :D.

I wouldnt worry so much about the secondary, I didnt submit mine until the end of October if that helps you out any. When I was coming through, my pre-med advisor told me that UMAB runs on a slightly later schedule when compared to other schools. :luck: to you!

I'll chime in and agree with MSK. But do send in the secondary as soon as you get it! Applications are up a crazy amount this year compared to the same time last year, and they only interview 500 people no matter how many applications they receive. Best of :luck:! We like people that appreciate other down to earth people. :) Of course, don't talk to ANY of us the day before an exam. We're all a little nuts then. :laugh:

freeeeeeeeelove....sorry, I just like saying that :)

Get that 2ndary in, ASAP. Maryland students definitely seek out other down-to-earth folks..."typical" pre-meds with their Public Displays of Neuroses annoy me and most of my classmates (believe me, we still have our personal neuroses, but tend to keep them private, thankyouverymuch).

Unfortunately, we're merely shadows of our former calm, cool, collected, carefree, Flaming Dr. Pepper-pounding, stay up until 4 am-personas of about this time last year, but we do still like to cut loose once in a while. (For example, I believe there was an incident last year involving LucidSplash, $2 margaritas, and a mechanical bull. MSK's a little more subdued, but don't let him fool you. He hangs out with some of the craziest people I know.)

Good luck to you. Definitely use your interviews to figure out where you best fit.

It was $2 sangria and a non-mechanical bull.

If I recall correctly there was a separate incident with LW that included Resurrection beer, trying to lift men much much heavier than she, a dress with a broken strap, and an inability to unlock her front door because she was attempting to do so with her car keys.

freeeeeeeeelove....sorry, I just like saying that :)

Get that 2ndary in, ASAP. Maryland students definitely seek out other down-to-earth folks..."typical" pre-meds with their Public Displays of Neuroses annoy me and most of my classmates (believe me, we still have our personal neuroses, but tend to keep them private, thankyouverymuch).

Unfortunately, we're merely shadows of our former calm, cool, collected, carefree, Flaming Dr. Pepper-pounding, stay up until 4 am-personas of about this time last year, but we do still like to cut loose once in a while. (For example, I believe there was an incident last year involving LucidSplash, $2 margaritas, and a mechanical bull. MSK's a little more subdued, but don't let him fool you. He hangs out with some of the craziest people I know.)

Good luck to you. Definitely use your interviews to figure out where you best fit.

It was $2 sangria and a non-mechanical bull.

If I recall correctly there was a separate incident with LW that included Resurrection beer, trying to lift men much much heavier than she, a dress with a broken strap, and an inability to unlock her front door because she was attempting to do so with her car keys.

:laugh: this is exactly why i came to maryland.. unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much time to have any semblance of a "life" when you are trying to cram for anatomy.. someone please tell me this gets better! cause right now, this sucks soooooooooooooooooo much.. i hate learning randomuseless anatomy crap and smelling like dead bodies and spending more time in the pods studying than at home..

sorry.. karakiz needs sleep.. :oops:

:laugh: this is exactly why i came to maryland.. unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much time to have any semblance of a "life" when you are trying to cram for anatomy.. someone please tell me this gets better! cause right now, this sucks soooooooooooooooooo much.. i hate learning randomuseless anatomy crap and smelling like dead bodies and spending more time in the pods studying than at home..

sorry.. karakiz needs sleep.. :oops:

Come to Mex's on Monday. Both of the events LW and I described were post-exam events.

I think it gets better after anatomy, only because I did not like anatomy. Others might have other opinions. The exam days get shorter, which will feel great. The all-day anatomy exams are EXTREMELY draining, more so than the half-day exams you'll have after S&D.

If it gets better at all, it is because you will get used to it - the studying all day and not going out that much. The amount of material will not lessen, but your tolerance will increase!

Hey guys,

Quick question for you all... For those of you who interviewed at UMD before Oct 15th did you get acceptances in the mail, phone, email or status page? I interviewed on Oct 1st and Dr. Foxwell said we would know possibly by the 15th or the latest the 22nd. Maryland is my top choice for med school and I really want to hear back soon.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Quick question for you all... For those of you who interviewed at UMD before Oct 15th did you get acceptances in the mail, phone, email or status page? I interviewed on Oct 1st and Dr. Foxwell said we would know possibly by the 15th or the latest the 22nd. Maryland is my top choice for med school and I really want to hear back soon.

Thanks!

That sounds about right for this point in the process. Dr. Foxwell is a pretty trustworthy guy, and generally if he tells you something, it will happen. You should be in pretty good shape this early on...I'm glad to hear you like it, we'd love to have you. Best of luck!

But do send in the secondary as soon as you get it!

I've been meaning to say, in addition to what I was saying before about applying, this is the most important thing above all. The process is less competitive at any school the earlier it is. My colleagues covering my butt already...its still months before rotations too, what a good sign! :hardy:

I can't remember if my Maryland interview was at the end of September or if it was in October, but I received my decision no more than 3 weeks after my interview. Hang in there. They try to turn things over as quickly and efficiently as possible. I received both a letter of acceptance and a personal phone call from one of my interviewers. Oddly enough, they both came on the same day. Some schools take MUCH longer - I interviewed at a different school on Dec 2nd, and didn't get a final decision until the end of March (because they release ALL decisions at the same time). In this respect, Maryland is extremely fair. Good luck!

Thanks guys,

I hate the waiting game but it sounds like it will soon be over. Hopefully I will be able to start the class of 2012 thread.

I've been meaning to say, in addition to what I was saying before about applying, this is the most important thing above all. The process is less competitive at any school the earlier it is. My colleagues covering my butt already...its still months before rotations too, what a good sign! :hardy:

MSK-
as someone who is studying the upper extremity for the third anatomy exam, I have to say I am very offended by your avatar. it induces anxiety in me every time i see it. please change it to something more pleasing to me or I will sue you for 1 billion dollars for mental anguish and emotional distress. ;) thanks. (j/k.. :) i just want anatomy to be over!!!!)

so... you really like... the forearm?

Oh, the forearm. How I hated the forearm. Except for the extensor digitorum, which I use often in extending my third phalanx. The worst part of the 3rd segment of anatomy (for me, at least) was memorizing the names of all the stupid little holes in the base of the skull, and trying to remember wtf comes out of them. I definitely never want to be a 1st year again.

Here's an unsolicited tip: instead of crowding all over everyone trying to look at hacked-up pieces of chicken meat in your cadaver, go to the little side-room and look at the plastic models (there's an eye, an ear, etc). Those things were worth their weight in gold. Also, I got more out of one afternoon with the half-head (in the ziploc bag) than I did the entire week of head/neck lab. Especially for the tongue and upper neck/pharyngeal muscles. Don't blow off the larynx lecture - some of those muscles may be tiny, but I missed some easy points on the written test because I didn't study it hard enough.

Learn your cranial nerves REALLY WELL. They're going to come back to haunt you in the spring. Oh oh oh to touch and feel virgin girls' vaginas and hymens. I had a really perverted lab group.

MSK-
as someone who is studying the upper extremity for the third anatomy exam, I have to say I am very offended by your avatar. it induces anxiety in me every time i see it. please change it to something more pleasing to me or I will sue you for 1 billion dollars for mental anguish and emotional distress. ;) thanks. (j/k.. :) i just want anatomy to be over!!!!)

so... you really like... the forearm?

LOL! I apologize for my avatar being so anxiety provoking, to be honest, I just couldn't find a really good pic of the entire musculoskeletal system! In all honesty the arm was also probably my least favorite part of anatomy, especially the part in my avatar (i actually liked the brachial plexus though), but I just :love: musculoskeletal medicine in general :love: Apparently I should have gone to osteopathic school.

Learn your cranial nerves REALLY WELL. They're going to come back to haunt you in the spring. Oh oh oh to touch and feel virgin girls' vaginas and hymens. I had a really perverted lab group.

Oh LW, lol, would it help you to feel better at all if I told you my dad taught me that one too?

Completely agree about the prosections for this part of the course. My lab group stopped caring about the dissection and looked at all the prosections, which was cash money. After reading LW's post I have a sudden craving for poultry, maybe a Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuit is in order in the morning...

LOL! I apologize for my avatar being so anxiety provoking, to be honest, I just couldn't find a really good pic of the entire musculoskeletal system! In all honesty the arm was also probably my least favorite part of anatomy, especially the part in my avatar (i actually liked the brachial plexus though), but I just :love: musculoskeletal medicine in general :love: Apparently I should have gone to osteopathic school.

Oh LW, lol, would it help you to feel better at all if I told you my dad taught me that one too?

Completely agree about the prosections for this part of the course. My lab group stopped caring about the dissection and looked at all the prosections, which was cash money. After reading LW's post I have a sudden craving for poultry, maybe a Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuit is in order in the morning...

Yeah we spend 2 hours dissecting and end up with very little to show for it. I've been making good use of the prosections tho and try to spend some extra time in lab getting comfortable for the inevitable wet practical. *sigh* i can't wait until our exams aren't 8 hours long.

I interviewed my first patient on wednesday! And I did really well too. :) I was a scribe in an ER for about 18 months so I just did what I've seen all those docs do a million times, and my preceptor said I was confident and did a really good job. Yay! something to feel good about! lol.. i need all of the confidence-boosting i can get right now. anatomy is bumming me out. :thumbdown:

I think the thing I liked most about anatomy was learning all of the muscles of the body and what diff injuries actually mean (like the diff btw a dislocated and separated shoulder, or what tearing your ACL means). I think I'd really enjoy sports medicine, but I don't want to go through 6 years of residency for ortho-sports medicine and I don't think I want to do family medicine-sports medicine. I dunno, the ER still seems like the most likely option for me right now. Little bit of everything, organized chaos.. just seems like my kinda thing. :) I know I have sooo much time to figure all of this out, but sometimes thinking about it is the only thing keeping me going in anatomy.

I think the thing I liked most about anatomy was learning all of the muscles of the body and what diff injuries actually mean (like the diff btw a dislocated and separated shoulder, or what tearing your ACL means).

Are we the same person? I've shadowed outpatient sports med (and even did a few H&Ps by myself!!!), and did some research in it over the summer. Excellent field fo sho.

I think I'd really enjoy sports medicine, but I don't want to go through 6 years of residency for ortho-sports medicine and I don't think I want to do family medicine-sports medicine.

*psssssssssssst* Do PM&R, you work 9-5 as a resident, on call half as much as your thinker (medicine) friends, a third as much as your cutter (surgery) friends, and its only 4 years!

There are one-year EM sports fellowships as well, FYI.

I dunno, the ER still seems like the most likely option for me right now. Little bit of everything, organized chaos.. just seems like my kinda thing. :)

Were you at the EMIG meeting the other day? If so, did you catch me eating a danish while watching all those crazy pics and videos? LOL

I'm in a big debate between that and Rehab right now. The lifestyle for EM is actually great if you dont mind the sporadic hours. I dont care about working holidays, weekends, and nights, and Lord knows I have the energy for it. I guess my biggest decision is, would I rather the chill-ness and predictability of the Rehab hospital, or to drop half of a PBJ because some guy came in bleeding into and out of every cavity due to multiple gunshot wounds. I guess essentially I'll be dealing with trauma patients non-surgically, but it's just a question where on the food chain it will be. We shall see.

I know I have sooo much time to figure all of this out, but sometimes thinking about it is the only thing keeping me going in anatomy.

You could also see it this way, 4th year will stare you in the face as soon as you finish anatomy :) I think about it all the time too! I cant believe that ALREADY pathophysiology stands between me and clinicals :love: