University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UMD is fine as a lender. The only other comparable lender was Bank of America, and it definitely wasn't worth it over time.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,
was checking out the MedScope site, and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a guest account that i can login with? just want to check out how it works n stuff :)

hey guys,
was checking out the MedScope site, and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a guest account that i can login with? just want to check out how it works n stuff :)

Not that I know of...you are able to see our class schedules and stuff, but cannot access the notes. Even as students, we can only access stuff that has to do with our class. I've tried to get ambitious and see the second year and even third year rotation stuff...but to no avail. I guess we'll have to wait :thumbdown: Sorry about that! I wish I could have told you something better.

They actually did re-design it for us over the course of the year, so it looks much cleaner right now. They will probably continue to take suggestions and make modifications for your incoming class as well, they are pretty good about doing that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt look for it cause I'm too lazy, and wasting brain cells watching "I Love New York". It's such a train wreck of a show and I don't even like it, but for some reason I watch anyway...hope that helps!

I know what you mean. Every second of "I love New York" is painful and horrifying, but somehow i get sucked in and can't change the channel...

Hey Guys.

I'm about 99% sure that I'm going to be a UMd 2011er too, and so I figured what better source for financial aid advice than my future classmates. I filed my FAFSA, but other than that I have essentially just been waiting to hear about my financial aid package. Is there something I need to fill out before they decide for me? I'm worried that I'm skipping a step. I got an email giving me access to "SIMSweb", but no news otherwise. Do you know when we should be hearing about these things?

Thanks.

Hi. I'm accepted for 2011 but waiting for fin aid to decide, since I'm OOS. When you log into Simsweb, go to financial aid, and you can click on something like "my overall status of financial aid" and it will give you a list of requirements you have to complete. There is one form on there that I think you have to complete, sign and fax or mail before your aid package will be calculated, but I'm not certain.

Hi. I'm accepted for 2011 but waiting for fin aid to decide, since I'm OOS. When you log into Simsweb, go to financial aid, and you can click on something like "my overall status of financial aid" and it will give you a list of requirements you have to complete. There is one form on there that I think you have to complete, sign and fax or mail before your aid package will be calculated, but I'm not certain.

Thanks Xild. I actually ended up calling the office, and they said none of the three forms (three for me at least) on the SIMS web "required/unsatisfied" list are necessary to recieve your award. They also said that they're doling out the packages either tomorrow or the next day for the med students.

Thanks Xild. I actually ended up calling the office, and they said none of the three forms (three for me at least) on the SIMS web "required/unsatisfied" list are necessary to recieve your award. They also said that they're doling out the packages either tomorrow or the next day for the med students.

Wow, thanks for the update! I was really wondering myself but not as resourceful as you.

Alright time to further pester the current students....

textbooks. do you have a textbook per block, as in one for neuro or one for anatomy etc. do you use your textbooks or do you mostly study from some other source? Is there one specific textbook you are required to get or can you shop around for other textbooks on the same subject? do most students purchase their books from the school or shop on like amazon or etc. for better prices? When do the first years usually get their schedules and booklists?

Also, those of you who were science (especially bio) majors in college, do you think it helped you in med school? As in, do you find you are learning somethings you covered before in your upper level bio classes and has this helped you in studying now?

sorry for all the questions, Im just procrastinating studying for my immunology test tomorrow....

Hey, 2011ers. Here's a list of the books that I used religiously during 1st year. They will tell you in all of your blocks that you need all these fancy books. But you don't. Between the powerpoints, lectures, notesets, and atlases, you won't have TIME to read textbooks. Stick to this list, and you can't go wrong:

S&D:
1. An Anatomy ATLAS: Netter. I'd say that the vast majority of the class used Netter. Get it, study it every day, memorize the plates, cover up the words with your hands/paper and quiz yourself. DO THIS EVERY DAY, and you will do just fine in anatomy. (Note that some people opt for Grant's, Rohen's, etc - these are all fine, too. I just prefered Netter.)
2. Netter FLASHCARDS: These are the greatest med-school study aids invented EVER, IMNSHO. As with the Atlas, do them every day.

DO NOT BUY an anatomy textbook. I did (Moore & Daly), and I hardly cracked the cover. There's just no time! And you don't need it - everything you need is in the lectures/notes, and in the atlas.

CMB:
You could get by without a textbook for CMB. The lectures and notes are adequate. However, many of the profs lecture DIRECTLY from Lehninger, meaning they take their material from that text. I have a copy of Lehninger, and it was useful for some things (figures with captions, clarifications, getting a little more detail, etc.) One of my classmates actually read Lehninger for detail/content - but I think he's crazy. Anyway, he did really well in CMB. If you're like me, you won't have time to read every word. But I would suggest keeping your copy of Lehninger/purchasing it if you don't have a copy, to be used as needed for a reference (or, if you just learn better by reading textbooks, like my friend who aced CMB). Voet and Voet (which I used in grad school) reads like stereo instructrions compared to Lehninger.

FS:
There are different "monographs" (little textbooks) for each subject. Only 2 are required (Cell physio and Respiratory physio). You have to have these, because the profs lecture from them, and do not provide a noteset. You can make do without buying the other monographs; however, I would suggest at least having a text of general physiology lying around (I have Berne & Levy from grad school), just as a reference. Once again, I did not have time to read the lecture slides, the notesets, and the book for every single subject. However, if you are having trouble with a subject, I suggest buying the monograph. I wish I had bought the cardiovascular monograph. I did buy the renal one, and I ended up doing very well in renal. I did not need the GI or the endocrine one, nor would I suggest buying them. So, you should probably buy: Cell, Cardio, Renal, and Resp. Also, I should probably mention that there are practice questions/exams in the back of the book. These are priceless. Do them all, and really understand them. As a matter of fact, it's worth buying the renal book just for the practice exam.

Finally, we just started neuro, so I don't really know what works and what doesn't. Haines Neuroanatomy atlas is required for the class. Once again, they give us lectures and notesets, plus lab time with the atlas = pretty sufficient. If you really want to buy the Kandel book (it weighs about 12 pounds - I know because I dropped it on my foot in undergrad), you can, but I really don't think we'll have a lot of time to study it in detail. I have my old copy from undergrad, and there is a copy in the pods that I plan to use for reference if I need it.

I ordered most of my textbooks from Amazon, although it's not always cheaper than the bookstore. I would shop around for good prices, as long as it is well enough in advance. Otherwise, just go to the bookstore if you need the book really soon. You don't have to have any of the books - nobody makes you buy any book in particular. You will just have an easier time if you stick with the books on my list.

Alright time to further pester the current students....

Nice, a reason for me to procrastinate, not that its ever hard to find one...

textbooks. do you have a textbook per block, as in one for neuro or one for anatomy etc. do you use your textbooks or do you mostly study from some other source?

We usually have many textbooks per block, but not usually more than one "required" one. Required is in quotations because they tell you its required, but no ones gonna do a book check and penalize you if you dont get one. Some people never crack a textbook open and just study the note sets and powerpoint slides. A few get all the textbooks. I'm somewhere in the middle. I got all the books for anatomy and physiology because I figured they would be useful someday. I had the biochem textbook from undergrad (we used the same one) and I bought the neuro text. You'll likely just study mostly from the notes and lectures, but I like having the texts too, they are good for when you need clarification you wont get otherwise.

Is there one specific textbook you are required to get or can you shop around for other textbooks on the same subject?

It seems every block has one "required" text that they very strongly recommend you get, but you can get any textbook you want. I saw further down you are a bio major and I was too, so def save your textbooks if you still have them! My biochem text and pathogenic micro text (to be used for 2nd year) are used by Maryland so I'm glad i didnt sell them just to buy them back. I also saved all my other chem and bio texts, as they were good references. I even have a psychology text that I saved that was VERY useful for taking the patient history, believe it or not. But books can be expensive, so people generally only get the minimum required and call it a wrap.

The only text I think that you'll NEED all year is Netter's Anatomy. Also highly recommended are the cell and respiratory physio texts, but no worries, we'll tell you all this again when you get here :)

do most students purchase their books from the school or shop on like amazon or etc. for better prices?

It really depends. Youll find eventually that youll get so bogged down in one course youll forget to go on Amazon to order books for the next one...or maybe thats just me. For anatomy, going on half.com and buying the old editions of everything they suggested was great, I got most of the texts for 5 or 10 bucks, and it was still mostly the same minus a few pics/edits. They often take exam questions and diagrams from the textbooks too, so thats another reason to get them, or find someone with them and share. The bookstore is good so you dont have to pay S&H, but its always the new, more expensive edition. Depends on how you roll, but usually I have no problems with the $5 old edition unless I think the text will be relevant to the specialty I seek, in which case I get the new stuff (I know the texts wont really help me past 3rd year, if that, but I just like having books!)

When do the first years usually get their schedules and booklists?

Not until about August for Anatomy, then usually 1-2 wks before the next course starts when youre about to take your last exam for the current block. Stay tuned.

Also, those of you who were science (especially bio) majors in college, do you think it helped you in med school? As in, do you find you are learning somethings you covered before in your upper level bio classes and has this helped you in studying now?

Quite simply...nope. Well, I oversimplify a bit...they did help me in the sense that I already knew the basic mechanisms for a ton of the stuff in biochemistry and cell bio, and neuro a little bit too. Some of my other bio friends at CP took physio there and it helped them a little bit. But you'll find that the playing field levels very quickly despite having the material already, because it's in so much more detail. My grades are no better than those who were humanities majors, and actually in some cases worse. It helped in initial recognition but the study time did not decrease any because of it...kinda sucks. If I knew that from the beginning, I might have tripled in psych, gvpt and criminal justice or something and still went out 3 days a week in undergrad. Oh well!

sorry for all the questions, Im just procrastinating studying for my immunology test tomorrow....

I'm joining you right now...oh, and save that immunology text! You just may need it :thumbup: Good luck!

I was a biology major (CMB) in undergrad. Furthermore, I did biomedical research for several years, then completed a masters degree in Microbiology and Immunology, all before coming to medical school. Did all of this school/work help me in med school? ABSOLUTELY. People who say otherwise are probably lying. Of course it's easier to learn something the second time around (even if, as in my case, it's been several years since you've seen it last).

That being said, I must also add this. What has helped me the most is not the fact that I had seen/learned some of this material before, but that I have learned how to study EFFICIENTLY. This was a skill that I did not master in undergrad. As a matter of fact, I didn't really start getting good grades (by pre-med standards) until graduate school. For example, I had never had an anatomy course in my life prior to coming to school here. However, because I had learned some histology and embryology/development in grad school, and because I was used to the demands of a full-time graduate courseload, I had a much less painful adjustment than some of my peers. I knew how to pick out what was IMPORTANT to know (for the exam, and for the future as well), and what was just detail/filler that wasn't worth my time. The fact that I did PSP also contributed to a rather seamless adjustment period.

I did notice, earlier in the year, that some of the incoming kids (pardon my use of the word "kids," but 21/22-year olds seem like kids to me!) who were science majors had a false sense of what their abilities were/would be like in medical school. Just because you had anatomy, biochemistry, histology, physiology, etc as an undergrad doesn't mean that you won't have to WORK. Some of the most brilliant people in the class did very poorly on the first exam, because they overestimated their abilities/confidence. The courses here are HARD - for instance, even though I have an MS in Micro&Immunology, I don't anticipate having an easy time in HDID next year - I'm going to have to work just as hard as everyone else if I want to do well.

Bottom line: even if you were a science major, and had a 4.0 GPA, and went to a science-heavy school, and did research, etc, etc, etc - you are still going to struggle, it's still going to be very difficult, and you will still have to put in a LOT of time and sleepless nights. However, because you have seen a lot of this material before, it will be a much faster process for you to absorb it. Just make sure you put in the time.

And one more thing - if you know someone who is struggling with something that you've mastered/seen before/are familiar with, take the time to help them out. That's one thing that Maryland has been really good about, at least in my experience. I think it's your responsibility as a member of the class/UMD community to make sure that you take the time to help if/when you are needed. And, what goes around comes around. For example, if you are an engineering major who is good at anatomy, help out the chemistry major who is struggling with it. It's likely that they will return the favor during CMB. And, even if you don't need help down the road, it helps to cement the material in your own mind, if you can teach it to another student.

Get ready 2011!! Not long now! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line: even if you were a science major, and had a 4.0 GPA, and went to a science-heavy school, and did research, etc, etc, etc - you are still going to struggle, it's still going to be very difficult, and you will still have to put in a LOT of time and sleepless nights. However, because you have seen a lot of this material before, it will be a much faster process for you to absorb it. Just make sure you put in the time.

:thumbup: Yup what she said lol. You cant put up ornaments without a christmas tree. Luckily, youll already have the tree. Med school has lots of ornaments. Lots.

You cant put up ornaments without a christmas tree. Luckily, youll already have the tree. Med school has lots of ornaments. Lots.

That's so cute! I like that analogy. What if my ornaments fell on the floor and they all broke?

Why thank you! Well when that happens to me, I just start praying that new ones will spawn and insert themselves nicely back onto the tree I spent so long decorating. It works sometimes, but not as often as one would like :laugh:

One thing I can tell you - being a chem major doesn't help at ALL. The skillset you need in med school is completely different than the chemistry skillset. Maybe when pharm rolls around it will, but as for first year? Not so much.

Oh, and I agree the only two books you need: Netter and the cell phys book. Biochem has great notes and the stuff is all from lecture. Cell phys - the instructors for the course wrote the book, and many questions are directly from the test in there. The resp book is "required", but it is an awful book, and you probably get just as much from lecture.

As for Neuro, uhh...uhhhh... uhhhhhhh...

Oh man...I don't want to hear it. I'm still on lecture TWO.
I just can't get focused for some reason!!!

hey all!

sorry i dont have time to go back and read all the posts again (8 pages!) but i had a question about the financial aid stuff. i picked Bank of America as my lender and I don't know if I can change it, but someone before said it wasn't worth it in the long run and you should pick UMB? Should I call the office and change it to UMB? What do you mean it's not worth it in the long run?

Also...this is something I asked in the pre-allo thread but I guess it's more appropriate here... I was wondering if people had already been offered scholarships? I know one of my friends has but I was wondering if anyone else had and when they were really announcing it? I called the office and they said they would be sending financial aid packets this week I think...did anyone get anything yet?

Thanks for the help!!:)

hey all!

sorry i dont have time to go back and read all the posts again (8 pages!) but i had a question about the financial aid stuff. i picked Bank of America as my lender and I don't know if I can change it, but someone before said it wasn't worth it in the long run and you should pick UMB? Should I call the office and change it to UMB? What do you mean it's not worth it in the long run?

Also...this is something I asked in the pre-allo thread but I guess it's more appropriate here... I was wondering if people had already been offered scholarships? I know one of my friends has but I was wondering if anyone else had and when they were really announcing it? I called the office and they said they would be sending financial aid packets this week I think...did anyone get anything yet?

Thanks for the help!!:)

Quick question - when you say you've already picked Bank of America, have you already applied for your loans? I was under the impression we were to fill out the Fafsa and then just wait for further instructions....am I missing something? Is this for out of state people only? Thanks!

Quick question - when you say you've already picked Bank of America, have you already applied for your loans? I was under the impression we were to fill out the Fafsa and then just wait for further instructions....am I missing something? Is this for out of state people only? Thanks!

No, when you go on your sims account (simsweb.maryland.edu), and log in, you find a bunch of forms we have to fill out and send in and one of them asks that we pick a lender for our loans.

No, when you go on your sims account (simsweb.maryland.edu), and log in, you find a bunch of forms we have to fill out and send in and one of them asks that we pick a lender for our loans.

ah, thanks.

Oh man...I don't want to hear it. I'm still on lecture TWO.
I just can't get focused for some reason!!!

Don't feel bad LW, I'm beating you only by one lecture!!! Its really hard right now...

Gonna have to put in extra work today and tomorrow I think, although I said that this weekend, and monday, and tuesday...

Did anyone hear about their award package yet? They told me we were supposed to by today.

Hey 2010 - it looks like our FS grades are being posted. Everyone flock to Medscope!

Did anyone hear about their award package yet? They told me we were supposed to by today.

i had heard some time this week too. but i checked online and nothing is up yet. i guess we get an email when they send it?

i had heard some time this week too. but i checked online and nothing is up yet. i guess we get an email when they send it?

nothing here either. Only I would go out and get an apartment way before I even see my financial aid.. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone! I got my acceptance call on Monday. :D I haven't even gotten the packet in the mail yet, so I have no idea what you all are talking about in terms of financial aid forms.. anyway, I just wanted to say that I loved Maryland and cannot wait to start!

A little about me:
UMCP graduate, Dec 2005, Biochemistry. I'll bet I know at least a few of you from Mam Phys with Higgins! Anyway, if you think you recognize me from my pic, you should holla at me :D

Heads up everyone.....my financial aid package was just posted on simsweb.

For currents students - If we're going to be getting any grants/scholarships from UMD, would they be posted now?

Hope it's good news for y'all!

What's up with my Stafford unsub being hacked off for a Grad Plus loan? and where's my perkins? .. I thought we should be getting something like this http://www.umaryland.edu/fin/schools/medicine/prospective.html

I wouldn't worry too much, IF (and only if, big if) i remember this correctly from our financial aid talk at orientation, grad plus may be a favorable loan actually. Before I truly know ill have to do some calculations with the interest rates and see...for other specifics ill have to get back to ya, jury's out at the moment...

It's a fixed ~8.25% or so, vs the Federal's ~6.25%. I just received this flier for a medline loan, from AMCAS or such and even that has a lower interest rate of 6.26% or something.. of course beyond that number I'm pretty clueless...

Heads up everyone.....my financial aid package was just posted on simsweb.

For currents students - If we're going to be getting any grants/scholarships from UMD, would they be posted now?

Hope it's good news for y'all!

Yes and no. Last year when they sent out the initial aid packages, I had only the 38.5k in loans (8500 sub stafford and 30k unsub stafford), with no grants. However, sometime around Novemberish, I received 5k in grants, so I received a check for $2500 in the mail out of nowhere. So, its POSSIBLE you could get more later if you didn't get a full budget. But do not take that as me saying it WILL happen. Sometimes they wait until after they've handed out a bunch of the money to begin with and then give out leftovers.

Also, I know both LW and I got our aid packages and neither of us have grants this year. Instead they gave us the gradplus loans. Just as a heads up that the aid packages might not be consistent from year to year.

Yeah, they're definitely not. I got no grant, but the small (random, SAL, wtf IS this?) scholarship I got last year went up about 1000. A net loss of like 2000 in free money, which sucks. I got extra gradplus loans to make up for it, but I'm not taking them.

What's up with my Stafford unsub being hacked off for a Grad Plus loan? and where's my perkins?

I'm pretty sure that they don't give Perkins to grad students anymore. Not just at this school, but across the country. I looked into Perkins loans last year, and that is what I came up with.

Sorry. Having to take out loans seriously sucks, no matter which way you slice it. But I'd rather take out $40k/year instead of $65k/year to go to a private school.

I'm pretty sure that they don't give Perkins to grad students anymore. Not just at this school, but across the country. I looked into Perkins loans last year, and that is what I came up with.

Sorry. Having to take out loans seriously sucks, no matter which way you slice it. But I'd rather take out $40k/year instead of $65k/year to go to a private school.

I actually did get a Perkins loan in my aid package today

Same thing happened to me. I called-it's a mistake. My Un-sub Stafford was 12,000 which is was the amount is for non-med and dental students.....I'm guessing that's what yours was too? If so, you got the same glitch I did. I would call them about it because you don't want the grad plus as a sub, it's higher interest.

I actually did get a Perkins loan in my aid package today (I will be a first year this year)

Mine looked like this

Stafford Sub - 8,500
Stafford Un-Sub - 12,000 (Screw up, should be 32,000)
Grad Plus - 30,000 (Screw up again, should be less and more of the Stafford)
Perkins - 5000
UMD Grant - 3000

It's almost identical to the website except for the Stafford mess up. Anyone else have this?

Thanks. I'll call tomorow. Ya I pretty much had the same thing sans perkins.

Hey Toby I got something very similar to that. Mine is:

Stafford Sub - 8,500
Stafford Un-Sub - 12,000
Grad Plus - 14,327 (I'm guessing you have more grad plus because you are out of state?)
Perkins - 5000
UMD Grant - 3000

What did you mean by there being a glitch in the system and there is actually more stafford available?

I have not done enof research of this on my own just yet but I thot Id just ask if anyone knows what the interest is on a Grad plus and perkins? Stafford unsub is 8.25% right?

oh and one more question. Do you guys borrow the full cost of attendance? seems much.. but I know I'll probably run about ~1000 with rent and parking and util. ..

oh and one more question. Do you guys borrow the full cost of attendance? seems much.. but I know I'll probably run about ~1000 with rent and parking and util. ..

Does anyone know if getting in-state status after 1 year is doable?

Yep. I am out of state so I had the same setup as you. There is no reason to take the Grad PLUS over the Staffords which definitely freaked me out at first.

The financial aid lady (Debbie?) for med students told me that the computer defaulted me to non-dental non-med student, which means I was entered as a law, nursing, etc student. 12,000 is their max. She said she would fix it but mine hasn't been changed. I'm assuming thats because 1) I just called today and 2) everyone seems to be having that problem so they will probably just fix it all at once.

Now unless I am totally missing something, it is completely stupid to accept Grad PLUS money (8.5% max) when you can get Stafford (6.5% or so max)? I am missing something?

I would think yes, lol. I'm just mad that my senators and delegates have been so useless with their applications. It's been a couple of weeks since I've been trying to get a hold of them.

Anyway, Toby what state are you gracing baltimore from? and why'd you choose maryland.. sorry, just being nosey.. it's 11 and I'm bored.

My cost of attendance is $66,300-some. That does seem like a little much, but I am out of state.

Does anyone know if getting in-state status after 1 year is doable?

Hey there, I'm an out-of-stater too...one of the few among the masses. Its doable, but Maryland makes it very difficult, im just warning you. You have to make sure to start looking at their criterion for in-state status now...there's a laundry list of things you have to do, like earn 50%+$1 of your living expenses, own a place, get a license, pay Maryland state income tax, register to vote...blah blah blah. Its difficult doing this as a med student because you can only rely on the sumnmer for your income. And the criteria require that all that stuff has to be in place for 12 months. And you have to be declared an independant on the taxes too, a mistake my parents made for me which will set me back a year in doing this...

Its not impossible but it is difficult. I have it almost straight, if it weren't for a thing or two I could apply for it already. Its all good I'll just live in an apartment for a couple extra years afterward while my loans are being paid back :laugh: I only jest, its all good.

PM me if you have any further questions about this!

First off - I stand corrected. I didn't realize that they gave Perkins loans to Grad students. I'm pretty sure they didn't do it last year. I certainly was not offered one, and I don't know anybody else who was. Perhaps they changed it this year. Or I didn't speak to enough people. Either way, take the Perkins over the Grad Plus.

As for your question, LyaZ: last year, I was lucky enough to receive $6k in grants/scholarships. I ended up taking out all of the Staffords available - $8,500 in sub, and $30,000 in unsub. I didn't take out any Grad Plus or private loans. After the first semester, I paid back my interest, which was around $500. BIG MISTAKE. I should have held onto the extra cash. You should take out the full amount that you are offered, especially in your first year. Of course, this is just MY opinion, so take it for what it's worth. But it is now getting close to the end of April, and I'm already a bit on edge - I am going to be cutting it close this summer. I have a mortgage to pay, which is substantially LESS than I would be paying to live closer to campus - so keep that in mind, if you will be living at places like Redwood or Centerpointe - your rent will be pretty high. All of this stuff really adds up. I'm pretty upset right now, because, this year, I am not being offered the same amount of grants and scholarships, and tuition also went up by about $1500. This means that I might have to take out the Grad Plus loans, in addition to the entire amount of Staffords offered to me this year ($40,500).

If you're neurotic about money like I am, send me a PM and I'd be happy to talk about budgeting/etc with you.

Keep in mind that you should ALWAYS have a financial "cushion," especially if you are a home/car owner, in the event of a disaster or other unforseen emergency. You obviously want to limit the amount that you over-borrow, but make sure you have something to fall back on if the unexpected comes up.

I should have held onto the extra cash. You should take out the full amount that you are offered, especially in your first year. Of course, this is just MY opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

LW, is this because you are worried about your budgeting now that we are at the end of the year?

If you're neurotic about money like I am

We are of the same breed then :thumbup:

Keep in mind that you should ALWAYS have a financial "cushion," especially if you are a home/car owner, in the event of a disaster or other unforseen emergency. You obviously want to limit the amount that you over-borrow, but make sure you have something to fall back on if the unexpected comes up.

Spoken like a responsible, experienced woman!

I also would like to add if you are working for the summer, SAVE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I told all my friends going to medical school in the fall to do that and not blow it on booze/clothes you dont need. The more you save during the summer, the less youll have to take out, because you dont have to pay income back on interest :D If you save 3-4K, a great deal of your food and utilities are taken care of for the year. And as LW said, its a great source of emergency funds too, because life still happens in medical school.

For those of you who filled out the Senate scholarship form (I think it was LadyWolv), did we have to provide three refernce letters? because it sounds like it's for high school students.. I have 10 days to submit and there's no way I can find 3 people to write me ones by then.

For those of you who filled out the Senate scholarship form (I think it was LadyWolv), did we have to provide three refernce letters? because it sounds like it's for high school students.. I have 10 days to submit and there's no way I can find 3 people to write me ones by then.

I already turned mine in and I don't remember them asking for any reference letters....hopefully I didnt mess up :scared: oh well if I did :p