University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread must have fallen into a black hole or something. I was wondering what happened to it. I'm still looking for a roommate, and "interviewing" a bunch of potential future roommates. PM me if any of you newly-accepted folks are interested. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

sooo, I'm accepting maryland right now but waiting to get off a waitlist elsewhere, which I don't know if I'll be able to afford even if I get off. Also, I am leaving the country late June. I was wondering if it will be hard to find housing last minute? I don't want to commit to a place now before I hear back from the waitlist place and see if they offer me anything, but I'm really tense about trying to scramble for housing and I don't want to live alone....Any advice or hope for finding something decent (price and location wise) in late June or July?

sooo, I'm accepting maryland right now but waiting to get off a waitlist elsewhere, which I don't know if I'll be able to afford even if I get off. Also, I am leaving the country late June. I was wondering if it will be hard to find housing last minute? I don't want to commit to a place now before I hear back from the waitlist place and see if they offer me anything, but I'm really tense about trying to scramble for housing and I don't want to live alone....Any advice or hope for finding something decent (price and location wise) in late June or July?

You could always go with the University housing - you'll have roommates, its prefurnished, and I'm sure you can find space at the last minute. Also, there are almost always rentals listed in the paper - I'm sure there will be apartments opening up in Ridgley's delight around that time (a few blocks south of the hospital).

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm calling my other schools this Monday to withdraw.. (I love how Maryland is the only one to have sent financial packages in time).
It's just you and me now UMD!

I'm also official as of this past week. Anyone else?

To all you who just accepted Maryland officially, welcome to the family!!! To all those who are still trying to make a decision, stop frontin', you know you want to come here ;)

And to my fellow MS1's...1 WEEK LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!! (+ 2 days)

YEAH 2010!!!!!!!!! WE'RE ALMOST THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just interviewed a potential new roommate who is in the class of 2011. She seemed really nice. Congrats all of you OFFICIAL 2011ers!

Now, enjoy your friggin summers!!! Last one to the bar buys first round!

Hey everyone! I'll be in the class of 2011 too! I was just wondering if anyone knows about the parking situation - is it easy to get a garage space on campus? I'll be living 15 minutes away and driving everyday, so garage parking would be awesome...

Hey everyone! I'll be in the class of 2011 too! I was just wondering if anyone knows about the parking situation - is it easy to get a garage space on campus? I'll be living 15 minutes away and driving everyday, so garage parking would be awesome...

Hey there, and congrats! A word of advice for parking, I commute as well, and I actually park in the Lexington Market Garage. The fee for that is $33/month. Its slightly farther away from the other garages (by a block), but it's a significant savings from $4 a day for parking in the other student lots. You can also move your car closer at 4pm on weekdays (and all day on weekends) when you plan to stay on campus later, and you dont have to pay a fee for it. Sorry for not being more specific, our neuro final is looming...ahhhhhhhh!!!!

Hey there, and congrats! A word of advice for parking, I commute as well, and I actually park in the Lexington Market Garage. The fee for that is $33/month. Its slightly farther away from the other garages (by a block), but it's a significant savings from $4 a day for parking in the other student lots. You can also move your car closer at 4pm on weekdays (and all day on weekends) when you plan to stay on campus later, and you dont have to pay a fee for it. Sorry for not being more specific, our neuro final is looming...ahhhhhhhh!!!!

Also if you're especially thrifty, you can park on one of the side streets across MLK. LW parks on Parkin street and then walks to campus from there. But you have to get there early enough before all the street parking is gone. Long story short, parking is not a problem. Even if the student garage ($4/day) overfills, they give you a voucher and send you over to one of the other nearby garages.

Sort of off topic, but is anyone else in 2010 having a difficult time forcing themselves to stay inside all weekend and study for the neuro final? It's so nice outside! And, this being the last exam of the year (and with the average for the first neuro test being so high so that it has the potential to offset a bad score for this exam), that slacker mentality keeps creeping into my head. <sigh> I'm ready for summer!

PS - Don't forget to party at the Redwood BBQ and then the Parkinson's benefit at Maggie Moore's on Monday. It will be an awesome celebration.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses, you guys rock!!

Ssshhh, LS, don't give away my parking secrets!!! :mad:

Sort of off topic, but is anyone else in 2010 having a difficult time forcing themselves to stay inside all weekend and study for the neuro final? It's so nice outside! And, this being the last exam of the year (and with the average for the first neuro test being so high so that it has the potential to offset a bad score for this exam), that slacker mentality keeps creeping into my head. <sigh> I'm ready for summer!

I just got back from a wedding in Detroit. I'm still on lecture 46, and I skipped 40. I believe that I am past the point of caring anymore - I'm burnt out. I spent the weekend partying it up and dancing to a mix of Bengali music, cheesy top 40, and "sweet home oklahoma" type music (yes, I said Oklahoma). Open bar for both the rehearsal dinner and the reception. You guys know the extent of my willpower. Needless to say, not much studying was done this weekend :)

LESS THAN 24 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to my fellow members of 2010 - WE'RE DONE!!!

Officially 25% MD...:)

See you all tonight!

as a non trad who has had some time off since undergrad, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what the best thing I can do this summer to prepare myself for med school next year?

also for anyone in the class of 2010, i can't access medscope and was wondering if anyone had saved all the notes and stuff from all the lectures this past year? i would definitely pay a nice bribe to get my hands on those, or take you to a nice dinner :laugh:

Sigh. Dr. Kox, the best thing that you could do to prepare is to do PSP. Otherwise, enjoy your summer. I was a non-trad with 5 years off between UG and Med school, and I managed to do just fine this year without looking at notes from the previous first years. I have a stack of papers about 3 feet high (these are just the NOTES, not the POWERPOINTS), and I think that studying them would be an absolutely miserable (and minimally productive) way to spend a summer. Seriously, save your energy for August. It will be here before you know it.

I understand wanting to be prepared and ahead of the game, but, to be frank with you, those kinds of tendencies will get you labeled as a "gunner" pretty quickly. I don't know you, or anything about you, and I'm not trying to be insulting, but that's just the way it is. I would highly suggest the PSP in your case. It simulates real 1st year, and I believe that it gave me an edge. And I still had plenty of time to have a blast and enjoy my freedom.

How many years did you have off? If it's only 1 or 2, that doesn't really count as "non-trad." You'll be fine in that case. If it's any more than that, I would highly suggest PSP.

Good luck. And I mean it when I say ENJOY your summer. By November you will be hating yourself for ever making this decision in the first place.

I second what LW says. I'm more than willing to send people the syllabus (syllabi?) and recommended book lists to people, but see previous posts on what's been said about buying the books. As for the notes, there are individual files for every lecture and that's just way too much to download and e-mail off. Also I think you are nuts for wanting them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE enjoy your summer. You are going to need to come in as fresh as possible. If you're worried about your sanity, the BEST possible thing you can do is get in all the fun and enjoyment of life that you can now. You'll have much less time once classes begin and there is just NO WAY you can get far enough ahead by studying during the summer to make it worth missing out on having fun. We are telling you this because we have been there. You should definitely listen to LW - she's one of the top 10% in our class so you know that she knows how to get it done and what is worth it and what isn't. (That's not to say you shouldn't listen to my other classmates either, I just don't really know what other people's grades are like). Your free time is shortly going to become a VERY precious commodity. PSP is worth it if you are really concerned, but do not go overboard.

Hey all, i'll be joining the class of 2011 in August and I'm very excited about coming to Baltimore. Just wanted to drop in and say hi and good luck to everyone with their summer plans. See you next semester!

PS: I'm getting a two-bedroom apartment at the Redwood, and currently looking for a roommate. The site is http://www.ar-cityliving.com/redwood/
My room is a 'Beech'. If you're interested, send an email to [email protected] :)

as a non trad who has had some time off since undergrad, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what the best thing I can do this summer to prepare myself for med school next year?

also for anyone in the class of 2010, i can't access medscope and was wondering if anyone had saved all the notes and stuff from all the lectures this past year? i would definitely pay a nice bribe to get my hands on those, or take you to a nice dinner :laugh:

I'd like to take this opportunity and agree with my fellow gangstas LW and LS ;-) drkox and all the rest of the 2011ers, you will be served well by a lot of rest and relaxation, we cannot emphasize that enough! Even for us from 2010, we are doing things that are pretty low stress and fun (on the whole at least). Most people that I talked to about summer plans are doing chill things even if they are researching too, including traveling/sitting on their butts. And I guarantee you, none of us are even thinking about preparing for 2nd year (except one person I talked to, but thats just crazy talk). Besides, you dont want to see everything we got for the whole year...you'll probably want to drop out :laugh:

From now on, the moments where you'll get time off where you dont have to worry about ANYTHING are few and far between, and you'll get less and less free time as the years go on...now that first year is over, the fact is even more real, because we well never get another summer off again :( We want the best for you guys! Trust us, we're (almost) doctors!

Im looking at getting the Netter atlas and flashcards but before i buy there seems to be lots of anatomy related stuff by netter.
Is this the right book for the atlas... http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781416033851&itm=1

and are these the right flashcards....
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781416039747&itm=5

if someone could take a look and let me know that would be awesome.

Congrads on finishing Year I and congrads to any recent college grads!

MSK! How are you? There were lots of cute pix of us from Monday night. Your friend also seemed very nice - it always makes my day to meet another U of Michigan fan.

dancer, the Atlas seems like the right one (the cover on mine is a little different, but I have an older edition than most other people in my class), but the flashcards should come in a little box. That may be the correct item, and they just changed the cover of the box this year. But I would find some way to double-check. Those flashcards saved my a$$ a million times over. They are worth their weight in solid gold, and I highly, highly recommend them - and I was never really a "flashcard" person before.

Also - before you buy your Netter - I wouldn't do it yet (unless you are doing PSP, and will therefore need it this summer), because AMSA has a great deal at the beginning of the year - sign up for 4 years of AMSA (which a lot of folks do, anyway), and you get a free Netter. There's also a free Stedman's (medical dictionary) from the AMA, but I rarely used that - however, I chose to join the AMA and not AMSA (for other reasons not related to free textbooks and such), so I did not get the free Netter. I ended up having to buy my own anyway, since I did PSP.

Dr. Kox, you can still take us to a nice dinner. :D

Seriously, you folks should come up to Baltimore sometime, so that we can tell you about the *really* important things - like, where the best happy hour specials are, where the hottest girls/guys in Baltimore hang out, who spins the best music, etc...

I have to say that while I don't use the actual paper version of the Steadman's I did install the electronic software version (that comes with the paper version) onto my laptop and I have used that a bunch.

And the Netter deal IS good. I already had one though so I didn't take a new one... and don't feel like you HAVE to chose between AMSA and AMA. Lots of people do both. I'm technically an AMSA member but not really involved, but I'm AMA Secretary for the coming year. :)

LW!! I'm chillin' so hard right now, my weight may snap my couch in half! Also tryin' to figure out how to get a PM&R interest group goin' at school. Details to follow on that later...we did take some awesome pics, I really need to get around to throwing them up on facebook :D And that dude is my main man too...its always good to have childhood friends around! One of my college roomates is headed to Michigan for grad school too, so I plan on going up to Ann Arbor for a football game at The Big House, you betta believe I'm gonna holla at you if I go and 2nd year doesnt suck too bad!

Dancer, those are the correct materials. Looks exactly like the book and flashcards to me. Do you prefer buying your own? That's totally cool, I know I did, but if you dont care a 2nd year will always let you buy it cheap, or you can borrow them from your big sib or someone else if you dont want to spend anything. Just a thought! LS is right about the AMA and AMSA memberships, I am a member of both, as well as ACP (the American College of Physicians-my old man envies me on this one 'cause he has to pay hundreds of dollars for this one and for students its free :))

Like LW said, I would also wait to buy the text, that AMSA deal might be good for you...word of caution though, it might. I didnt join for the Netter, but they offered a $50 gift card to Barnes and Noble in the spring to become a member and I took that instead. It worked out for me because joining for the free stuff was a win-win for me, but I will leave the specifics behind how to get the free stuff out of respect for the fact that my colleagues did not bring it up. I'll explain all this further later, but in short, it may be better for you to wait on it a while, you'll likely save money by waiting. Anatomy atlases dont work well without bodies to supplement them anyway lol

Btw, a friend of mine just sent me a list of the 15 sexiest celebrities over 35, and I'm SO HAPPY!!! I :love: older women! I like my girl just fine so I'm good, but I cant lie, Ashton Kutcher got it right!

ahem, join the AMA, ahem. You'll all be getting a letter from us in the orientation packet with all the juicy stuff.

Sorry. Just as an aside - AMA might be doing a different throwin this year other than the Stedman's.

MSK, send that ish this way!

ok, I'll bite. What's the difference between the AMA and AMSA (other than that all the cool kids are obviously in one and not the other ;) )?

The short answer is that Pontifex Maximus will try and recruit you for AMA since he is the president this year.

Slightly longer and not at all comprehensive answer: AMSA is the American Medical Student Association. So this is an organization you can belong to while in medical school. They are a lobbying-type organization sometimes and do lobbying-type things. They have a variety of political tenets for their organization regarding medicine-type things.

AMA is sort of the same except it is the actual American Medical Association. You get a student membership while you are in school but this is the one you would continue membership with after you graduate. At Maryland, the student chapter of AMA is far less involved with lobbying-type activities, but the AMA as a national organization does do that.

Also, both will ply you with pizza and a variety of lunchtime talks throughout the school year.

I refer you to their individual websites to see what they are about:

AMSA: http://www.amsa.org/
AMA: http://www.ama-assn.org
AMA-Medical Student Section: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/14.html

I'd give you Maryland's Student AMA website but frankly we haven't updated it since March, so it'd be of fairly little use to you.

And just so you guys know, you don't have to join either group in order to participate in their various activities throughout the year (actually, this goes for almost many groups at Maryland). I didn't join AMA or AMSA, but go to their lunchtime talks when they are interesting. For instance, AMSA put on a good panel talk for "Cover the Uninsured Week", letting the various sides duke it out. Very entertaining and informative.

hmm, good call guys. maybe ill hold off on the purchase until the beg. of the year... or maybe ill see if my library has a copy.

http://men.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4885624

PM, I did that for you 'cause you're my dogg. I think someone heard my crazy talk about how I love older women, and decided to actually spend time making a slide show on it, lol. I am VASTLY disappointed that they left out Heather Locklear :thumbdown: especially after her apprearance in Scrubs, as well as a few I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but I'm lovin' the shouts to Liz Hurley, Mrs. Smith, definitely Lucy Liu, and one of my favorites, Giada De Laurentiis :love: Too bad shes married, otherwise I'd so use the "I'm a student doctor" line, emphasis on DOCTOR of course :laugh:

Btw, today I was so incredibly bored. I had nothing to do, took a 3hr nap, sat on my couch and ate all day...I LOVE SUMMER BREAK

That list needs some alterations. Liz Phair? Liz Hurley below Maria Bello? Giada is great, but her mouth is HUGE.

Diane Lane is definitely ultimate milf status for me.

Giada De Laurentis gets on my last damn nerve. So does Gwen Steffani.

Diane Lane = hotness. I've always been a big fan of Vanessa Williams, too. I used to think she was the most beautiful woman alive.
But, we shall not delve into LW's "short list." :)

Hey all - finally finished and have the coveted MD behind my name.

On my way out I'm trying to get rid of all my books and would rather give my fellow UMDs a deal then some joe on ebay/craigslist.

So here is what I have - and I can guarantee that all the material in these books will not change drastically so, having an older edition will not harm you (and will save you a lot of money)!

Good old first year:

Netter Flash Cards: $15 (new $30)

Molecular Biology of the Cell fourth edition (still the most recent edition): $35 (new 104.90)

Lehninger Priniciples of Biochemistry third edition with CD: $25

Genetics in Medicine sixth edition (still the most recent edition): $25
(new $60)

The Human Brain: an introduction to it's functional anatomy fifth edition (still the most recent edition): $20 (new $65)

USMLE review - much of this stuff is very helpful during first and second year b/c it condenses material

Bugs and Drugs Flash Cards (some are highlighted): $10
these are a huge help when learning micro and pharm

USMLE step I made ridiculously simple: $10

Pathophysiology for the boards and wards: $5

Anatomy for the USMLE step I: $5

Step Up to the bedside (about 1/4 highlighted): $10

Second Year:

Basic & Clinical Pharmacology ninth edition: $25

Third Year: this stuff will not change and these books are pricey new

Case Files Internal Medicine: $15 (new $30)

Case Files OB/GYN: $15 (new $30)

Pre Test Medicine: $10 (new $25)

Pre Test Pediatrics: $10 (new $25)

If you buy multiple books I will discount and/or add some freebies. If you want to make an offer please feel free!

PM me if interested ... I'm moving to PA in a few weeks so really want to get rid of these books!

Hey guys,

I need some help here! If I get in to U of M off the waitlist, I definitely thinking about taking it over my current acceptance. I really loved the campus and the school but I am a little nervous about the crime in the city. I was thinking that I could live just outside of Baltimore in one of the nearby cities like Columbia. Is this a really bad idea? How is traffic going to Baltimore? Is it feasible to commute up to 20 miles into Baltimore for class? What time does class start in the mornings? Is it hard to get a parking pass on campus?

thanks everyone for your input!

Hey SuperMario,

I was around the area for undergrad - I don't think it's so bad. but 2010ers can probably answer your question better!

Hey guys,

I need some help here! If I get in to U of M off the waitlist, I definitely thinking about taking it over my current acceptance. I really loved the campus and the school but I am a little nervous about the crime in the city. I was thinking that I could live just outside of Baltimore in one of the nearby cities like Columbia. Is this a really bad idea? How is traffic going to Baltimore? Is it feasible to commute up to 20 miles into Baltimore for class? What time does class start in the mornings? Is it hard to get a parking pass on campus?

The crime varies by where you are, and for the most part is inconsequential as long as you are smart about things. If you aren't out after dark walking around chances are it won't even cross your mind. Personally, I hated commuting so I moved downtown, but it is certainly doable - plenty of people don't mind it at all. I can't specifically speak about traffic from Columbia, but people often say its against the flow of traffic, so that's a good thing. Class starts at 8. Getting a pass is not an issue.

Hey guys,

Hey Mario, like PM said, crime isnt necessarily worse than any other city, I just feel like people hype the crime stats a bit too much. If you have no sense of street smarts (which some people dont lol) then you will set yourself up for something bad to happen, but otherwise safety isnt an issue for the most part. The best I can do for you is to say my girl was thinking about coming up to Baltimore for law school and I had no problem with her living here, and I'm kind of very, supremely, extremely protective of her. So hopefully that helps.

Actually its funny that you mentioned Columbia, I commute from here. Not because I was concerned about safety, but growing up very near to NYC im just not impressed with city life...actually not a fan of it at all. Also, my parents preferred to buy a property since I'll be here potentially another 3-7 years, so the suburbs is a smarter choice for re-sale. I wouldnt suggest renting here as you will find much cheaper housing in Baltimore. If you were to live outside of the city, I would suggest Catonsville or something like that. PM is right, traffic is not an issue south of the city and its only a 25 min drive in the morning with moderate traffic (keep in mind though, Im from NY, depending on your style of drive it may be longer...or shorter for you). Parking passes are very easy to come by, but the dirt cheap ones arent and I was lucky enough to get one of the last ones when I started last August. If you get off the waitlist, let me know so I can hook you up with more details. Good luck!

Giada De Laurentis gets on my last damn nerve. So does Gwen Steffani.

Diane Lane = hotness. I've always been a big fan of Vanessa Williams, too. I used to think she was the most beautiful woman alive.
But, we shall not delve into LW's "short list." :)

Now to get down to the REAL business. I dont think Gwen should even be on the list. Vanessa Williams--Rick Fox is an idiot for messing that up (I think they divorced?) She's got incredible eyes. I have a soft spot for Giada, but just for you LW, I wont bother asking her to the winter formal.

And how could I forget, my girl and I have been over this a million times, especially after we watched Unfaithful together some time ago. Diane Lane = WOOF. She is...nevermind, I'll keep it classy. Murder at 1600 was on last night, I'm so mad it was late because I fell asleep on her :(. PM, we do need to make some substitutions, cause they almost got it right, I agree we have to make some trades. LW, why dont we see about this "short list"? I'm all about that!

Oh and btw, congrats on graduating, DR. loveumms! I think I speak for all the 2010ers (and the 2011ers once they are in class a few months haha) when I say, we really cant wait to be in your shoes!

Thanks everyone for your responses! What's the closest parking to the med school/library that you can get? Any idea how much it costs? Is it safe to study at the library at night on campus and then walk to the parking structure? I'm a little paranoid because i just heard about a pharmacy student who was shot in her apartment at 10 a.m. one morning. yikes!

SM, I think that Pharmacy student who was shot lived in Ridgely's Delight, a neighborhood due south of the med school. It's a fairly nice neighborhood, with lots of students renting rowhouses, but unfortunately, I think the local crooks now know this and take advantage by breaking into people's houses and cars. It is my understanding that this girl was a victim of an attempted robbery - the robber goes to a house, knocks on the door, the person answers the door, and the robber holds them at gunpoint and then robs the house. I heard that the girl slammed the door, and the guy shot through the door. I think she was hit, but luckily not critically wounded. I could have heard wrong, though.

Lots of my classmates live in Ridgely's, and although most of them have had no problems, I do know a couple of people who have had their cars broken into, and one group who had their home broken into earlier this year. If you are afraid of the very real possibility of having your property violated, then I would advise living in that particular area in a rowhouse. There are other options, such as apartment buildings with 24-hour security. They may cost a little more, but the peace of mind would be worth it, IMO.

I live far enough away that I commute to school each day. The closest parking garage is the Lexington Garage, which costs $4. That's a pretty good deal for city parking. It's only 3 blocks away from the school, and I have walked there at night and been OK. However, I would strongly advise against going ANYWHERE alone at night on campus. It's always better to call the shuttle to pick you up/drop you off. LS and I used to study in the pods until around midnight, then call the shuttle to drop us off at my car over on the "other side" of MLK. If we called it an early night, and there was still some daylight left, we braved the walk over instead of taking the shuttle. But I would, once again, strongly advise against doing this by yourself, unless it is broad daylight outside.

And there is nothing wrong with being "paranoid." In my experience, I'd rather be a little over-the-top about my personal safety than feel like my life was in danger. All it takes is one time, one stupid mistake, for something to happen. I sometimes get that feeling that something's "wrong" when I'm walking around on the streets - sometimes alone, or even when I'm with another person or people. That feeling makes me really uncomfortable, but, more importantly, I think it's my subconscious sending me a warning that a situation just isn't right, and may be dangerous. Even if there is absolutely no obvious threat, I'd rather default to the "safe side" than just ignore that feeling. When I get that feeling, that's when I know that I should be extra alert: keep an eye on the guy behind me, cross the street, get out my pepper spray, get out my phone to call for help, not walk down that street, go back to school, or turn around and go the other way. You'll get smart about what you do and don't feel comfortable doing. Just don't let yourself get numbed to it, and listen to your instincts. Even if you think you look stupid or paranoid, I'd much rather have that then end up getting mugged or robbed or attacked or raped or killed.

I have a few questions concerning loans. Is it possible to take out loans on a semester basis? If you have money left over from the loan at the end of the year, can you return it without any sort of penalty - like paying interest for the time that you had it? Overall, is it better to be conservative when taking out the loans or to take out a little extra as a cushion? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Also, on an unrelated topic, does anyone know whether there is a shuttle from UM that goes anywhere near Hopkins (East Baltimore campus)? I'm going to be doing research in the afternoons there and didn't want to pay for parking at both campuses. Thanks!

I have a few questions concerning loans. Is it possible to take out loans on a semester basis? If you have money left over from the loan at the end of the year, can you return it without any sort of penalty - like paying interest for the time that you had it? Overall, is it better to be conservative when taking out the loans or to take out a little extra as a cushion? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Also, on an unrelated topic, does anyone know whether there is a shuttle from UM that goes anywhere near Hopkins (East Baltimore campus)? I'm going to be doing research in the afternoons there and didn't want to pay for parking at both campuses. Thanks!

Loans are taken out on a yearly basis and dispersed on a semesterly (is that word) basis. Check with the stipulations of the bank/institutions Maryland offers as lenders; it is dependent on the lender but I think in general there is no penalty for returning the money but you're definitely going to pay the interest for the time you had it. I know LW is going to have more to say on that issue, especially in terms of being conservative, etc. But that you can do it either way. If you only accept a certain amount in loans (less than what they offer you) and then you find out you need more later in the year, the financial aid office should be able to hook you up. But that's going to take some time and effort, and it might not be something you want to deal with in the middle of classes and whatnot, especially if there is some kind of emergency, etc.

I don't think there's a shuttle over to Hopkins. There is a UM shuttle that travels around the campus after dark, but it doesn't go anywhere near Hopkins. I think that might border on blasphemy. ;) (just kidding)

Hey All!!

I am getting super excited about Maryland because I just got my housing straightened out this week and I LOVE :love: my new place. I wish more people on this thread were excited tooo!!!

I have a question on what to organize and prepare for the next year. I am going to be traveling with limited internet access starting June 13th and won't be back until July 24th so this is my last week to get everything in order so I am not scrabbling two weeks before orientation starts. I thought the general consensus on books was not to buy until orientation when we are told which books we need? Is there anything else I should be preparing? Do I need to put in an order for the laptop or get some other paperwork in order? Any suggestions or advice??

Thanks!:)

I think there is a shuttle that runs between UMB and Hopkins all day. I don't know the details of it (ie where to grab it and its hours) but I have definitely heard of it. All those Hopkins people wanting to come and use the UMB library and all ;)

You don't really need to do anything. You'll get an orientation packet some time in July. Laptops are handed out during orientation. They'll give you a book list, but don't buy anything but an atlas.

Just go have fun. Don't worry about school yet :) Straighten out your life so you don't have any extra stress when school starts. Enjoy the summer!

Just go have fun. Don't worry about school yet :) Straighten out your life so you don't have any extra stress when school starts. Enjoy the summer!

I second this. Don't underestimate the importance of having your life in order before starting medical school. Get moved and settled into your apartment, get familiar with the area (i.e. find a grocery store, pharmacy, etc), tie up loose ends in your personal life, make sure any required forms are turned in...and from my own experience, make sure you have all of the required vaccinations. It's a huge pain in the butt to try and get to Student Health once classes start (the vaccination clinic is only open around 1 hour each day, and it differs for each day of the week - huge pain!)

Have fun, relax, and hang out with friends.

Hey guys,

I am on the waitlist at Maryland right now (first half). I have an acceptance so I will be going to med school. It is just Maryland is cheaper because I am in-state and I also like it a lot. So here is my situation:

I have already submitted a letter of intent (with an update on my activities since AMCAS), along with an extra LOR, and my fall transcript to Dr. Foxwell. I have also had a very good friend of him who turns out to be a very important authority at my undergraduate school talk to him, and I figured out from him that I am very high on the waitlist. I mean I was basically told that if there were any movements, I would have a good chance. So far I have heard nothing back though. I am assuming that there have been no movements yet?:confused:

Well, I recently received my spring grades and they turned out to be all A's. It did not really change anything because I had a 4.0 anyway. Do you guys think I should send my transcript with my spring grades on it to Sr. Foxwell? Considering that I know my position on the waitlist, do you think it really changes anything? Or would it just be an overkill? :confused:

Does anyone here know about waitlist movements this year?

Thanks for your opinion and I hope to join you in Aug.