University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lulu8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got in!! Thought I'd start up a thread. I :love: maryland.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we may be the only faithful sdn'ers to get into umd so far. Where are you guys from?

Congrats you two, and hopefully many more! :) UMD is a great school and we have a great class, so I fully expect yours will be too.

If you all have any questions, feel free to post them. I'll be around.

Yay!! The 2011ers have arrived! Congratulations, you guys! I'm also an MS1 (it feels so weird to say that!) at UMD. Med school is really, really hard, but it's also really, really manageable. And we still have time to go to the bar :)

Hope to meet you guys next year.

And can I just say - Hooray for anatomy being over on Monday!!

Hey guys! Glad to see some UMD med students around sdn :) Do you like it there? What are your fellow classmates like?

(I'm living in Bethesda right now too hedgehogs).

Hey guys! Glad to see some UMD med students around sdn :) Do you like it there? What are your fellow classmates like?

(I'm living in Bethesda right now too hedgehogs).

The LadyWolverine character above me is kind of shady, but most of our classmates are awesome. A lot of diversity, but we all mesh pretty well. I can't complain. I wish the area was safer and anatomy easier, but otherwise I love UMD so far.

Does anyone know how UMD does on the boards, on average?

Does anyone know how UMD does on the boards, on average?
I'm also a first year UMD student, and I can actually answer this one. I just attended a lunch meeting yesterday with a few of the deans, and we were told that the Step 1 scores for the current 3rd years were in - they had a 97% passing rate (national average is 93 or 94%). Their average scores were right in line with the national average, and we had a handful of students who did really really really well.

I'm also a first year UMD student, and I can actually answer this one. I just attended a lunch meeting yesterday with a few of the deans, and we were told that the Step 1 scores for the current 3rd years were in - they had a 97% passing rate (national average is 93 or 94%). Their average scores were right in line with the national average, and we had a handful of students who did really really really well.

awesome! thanks for the info :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question for SQ and LW and coz and whoever else from th class of 2010 who wants to answer: In your class thread, you were talking about clinic assignments or something where it sounded like you were visiting different departments-I think someone said they had peds and another went to the ED. The dates on those posts were August, so I am just wondering what you all were talking about-is this a shadowing thing UMD does in the first few weeks, or whats the deal? thanks guys

I have a question for SQ and LW and coz and whoever else from th class of 2010 who wants to answer: In your class thread, you were talking about clinic assignments or something where it sounded like you were visiting different departments-I think someone said they had peds and another went to the ED. The dates on those posts were August, so I am just wondering what you all were talking about-is this a shadowing thing UMD does in the first few weeks, or whats the deal? thanks guys

The first week of class was basically orientation and what they call ICM (intro to clinical medicine). ICM is a component of the UMD curriculum that is interspersed throughout the year and can involve things like clinical visits, lectures on clinically relevant topics, patient interviewing, etc. I think it was the second day of orientation, and they basically divided us up and put us with different doctors to shadow for the day, and we did it again a week later in different specialties.

Maryland's schedule is set up so that we have lecture/lab from 8-12 M-F, and then one day a week we have ICM in the afternoon for a few hours (usually 2). This one day a week we are in a small group with 1 or more doctors learning patient interviewing skills, and then going into the hospital to practice on real patients. I really enjoy it, because it serves as a regular reminder of why you want to go into medicine (which can get lost among all the studying).

Then, between each curriculum block is an entire week devoted to ICM. For instance, we have our last anatomy exam on Monday :)eek: ), and T-F we will have ICM before starting our next block of cell and molecular bio. So we will have lectures from 8-12 on clinical topics for a week. We're not tested over it, but we have to write a short essay. Some of the lectures are more interesting than others, but its nice to take a little break from studying for a few days.

Sorry if that answer was a little longer than you expected. I remember I was a bit confused with how Maryland's curriculum and schedule worked when I was applying, so I thought I might clear that up for you guys.

The first week of class was basically orientation and what they call ICM (intro to clinical medicine). ICM is a component of the UMD curriculum that is interspersed throughout the year and can involve things like clinical visits, lectures on clinically relevant topics, patient interviewing, etc. I think it was the second day of orientation, and they basically divided us up and put us with different doctors to shadow for the day, and we did it again a week later in different specialties.

Maryland's schedule is set up so that we have lecture/lab from 8-12 M-F, and then one day a week we have ICM in the afternoon for a few hours (usually 2). This one day a week we are in a small group with 1 or more doctors learning patient interviewing skills, and then going into the hospital to practice on real patients. I really enjoy it, because it serves as a regular reminder of why you want to go into medicine (which can get lost among all the studying).

Then, between each curriculum block is an entire week devoted to ICM. For instance, we have our last anatomy exam on Monday :)eek: ), and T-F we will have ICM before starting our next block of cell and molecular bio. So we will have lectures from 8-12 on clinical topics for a week. We're not tested over it, but we have to write a short essay. Some of the lectures are more interesting than others, but its nice to take a little break from studying for a few days.

Sorry if that answer was a little longer than you expected. I remember I was a bit confused with how Maryland's curriculum and schedule worked when I was applying, so I thought I might clear that up for you guys.

Thanks SQ! that was a fabulous answer.

2 hours for ICM if you're lucky! My group is easily 3.5, and 4 on a bad day. Interviewing patients is fun, because most are pretty cool, but I wish we knew a bit more relevant stuff clinically before they threw us out there. As it is, its basically a "learn to talk to patients".

ICM week is gonna be fun ;) Although, we don't have a week before each new block. After Biochem, we get one day of ICM, then Physiology starts, and then there is no break between Physio and Neuroscience.

Apparently ICM changes every year, though. Someone told me it was like the "Defense against the Dark Arts" teacher from Harry Potter - it never stays the same. I thought that was funny.

The clinic visits during orientation were cool. It seemed like it depended a lot on your "tour guide" though, some people seemed like they just got a glorified hospital tour. We got to go play around in the ED.

Yay Fellow 2001ers! I :love: Maryland!
Anyone especially worried about living in the area?

hmm, after living in college park for 4 years, not really.

Hey, LW, Coz and SQ - no one invited me to the party!

Welcome 2011ers!

Six hours before our last anatomy exam, I have one bit of advice:

RUN. TURN BACK NOW.

Just kidding. Ask me tonight (preferably at the bar) and I'll tell you how great medical school is. Just not now. :)

Yay Fellow 2001ers! I :love: Maryland!
Anyone especially worried about living in the area?
Depending on which side you are on, unfortunately or fortunately, they are pushing alot of the poor people out of the city and regentrifying (sp?) the area, so its still not all that safe to walk at night but its pretty safe now. And Maryland truly does have security all around the school. Plus all the buildings are connected, so you rarely need to even walk outside. But all of that aside, I truly truly love Maryland. I love that they are going to bore us with lecture for 8 hours, and we have time to actually exercise or hangout. If my fiancee gets into Howard, I'm certain I'll be going to UMD.

Depending on which side you are on, unfortunately or fortunately, they are pushing alot of the poor people out of the city and regentrifying (sp?) the area, so its still not all that safe to walk at night but its pretty safe now. And Maryland truly does have security all around the school. Plus all the buildings are connected, so you rarely need to even walk outside. But all of that aside, I truly truly love Maryland. I love that they are going to bore us with lecture for 8 hours, and we have time to actually exercise or hangout. If my fiancee gets into Howard, I'm certain I'll be going to UMD.

If she does end up going to howard, where will you guys live? My husband is in law school in D.C. right now, so I'll most likely live in bethesda/silver spring and commute. I'm a little worried about it (it'll be ~45 minutes). Is anyone planning on commuting or do any current UMD-ers commute? (Of course, starting 3rd year we'll move into balmer)

I can speak on this stuff. I lived in Baltimore County throughout college, and started school commuting. It was about 45 minutes each way due to rush hour. Sometimes more. Driving or light rail, it was kind of hellish.

I ended up moving into a place down here right across MLK on the weekend of our first test (I'm an idiot, I know). Much better. Thats almost 2 hours of lost productivity/workout/veg time every day. Most of the people I know that still commute either leave right after class/lab, or stay till relatively late studying.

As far as safety (and you'll see in our 2010 thread we had some spats about this), a lot depends where you are and timing. I live on the "bad" side of MLK, but basically right after you cross. It isn't that bad. I haven't noticed any crime or been scared to walk home at night (past 11 on test weekends). The farther west you go, the worse the neighborhoods get in general, but I don't have a lot of experience there.

UMD has a ride van and the cops will give you a ride at night, especially if you live in an apartment or house which is basically on campus (Ridgely's), any of the area big apartments (Camden Court, Sail Cloth, Centerpoint, Redwood, etc). I'm not a great example cause I walk home every night alone, but I'm a guy, and some of the female classmates have expressed concerns.

While on campus security is great, they're at every door, and when they leave you need a keycard to get in the buildings. The worst you'll really ever come across is a panhandler or something outside.

I think we interviewed on the same day.. you sound very much like someone I saw at my interview..

Yup. Great day wasn't it... Im convinced there's a strong corrolation between the amount of sunshine and my liking to a school on interview day.

Yup. Great day wasn't it... Im convinced there's a strong corrolation between the amount of sunshine and my liking to a school on interview day.
Yeah I truly enjoyed myself. I really hope I end up in Maryland. I'll check back into this thread around May next year to update on whether I'll be attending or not

haha, I was there Oct 2 and I remember you!!
Describe yourself!!! The only people I remember now was a Indian/East Asian? guy, a girl who's last name was Greek (you know the one that Dr. Foxwell went on a tanget about mentioning that his wife's greek family didn't like him); I remember one girl from James Madison University, and that is pretty much it.

Hey guys:

To those who are considering commuting: there are a handful of our classmates who commute from the suburban/DC area. I think that if you need to live closer to DC, it would be smart to move to Silver Spring or somewhere VERY close to 95, so that you spend as little time as possible on 495. I have never run into traffic on 95, but 495 is always a parking lot, even as late as midnight.

And College Park has NOTHING on Baltimore. This city makes College Park look like the safest place on earth. The campus itself is pretty safe, though. You just have to be smart about when and where you walk, and try not to go places by yourself. People here like to throw garbage all over the sidewalk and street, hang out in large groups on streetcorners and deal drugs, and shout at each other from great distances, often while intoxicated. It took me a long time to get acclimated, and I still don't feel very safe in my neighborhood. The fact that there were FOUR shootings last night doesn't help, either. But you can tell that, in certain areas, there is an effort going on to improve the city.

But enough about Baltimore. UMD itself rocks and I'm so happy that I decided to come here. You guys have to make us proud - for a while last year we were leading the 2010 threads in number of posts...you must uphold the record!

Describe yourself!!! The only people I remember now was a Indian/East Asian? guy, a girl who's last name was Greek (you know the one that Dr. Foxwell went on a tanget about mentioning that his wife's greek family didn't like him); I remember one girl from James Madison University, and that is pretty much it.

Haha.. I remember the James Madison chic.
Dr. Foxwell is pretty entertaining..

Hey guys:

To those who are considering commuting: there are a handful of our classmates who commute from the suburban/DC area. I think that if you need to live closer to DC, it would be smart to move to Silver Spring or somewhere VERY close to 95, so that you spend as little time as possible on 495. I have never run into traffic on 95, but 495 is always a parking lot, even as late as midnight.

And College Park has NOTHING on Baltimore. This city makes College Park look like the safest place on earth. The campus itself is pretty safe, though. You just have to be smart about when and where you walk, and try not to go places by yourself. People here like to throw garbage all over the sidewalk and street, hang out in large groups on streetcorners and deal drugs, and shout at each other from great distances, often while intoxicated. It took me a long time to get acclimated, and I still don't feel very safe in my neighborhood. The fact that there were FOUR shootings last night doesn't help, either. But you can tell that, in certain areas, there is an effort going on to improve the city.

But enough about Baltimore. UMD itself rocks and I'm so happy that I decided to come here. You guys have to make us proud - for a while last year we were leading the 2010 threads in number of posts...you must uphold the record!

But I assume you lose alot of the experience of being with and hanging out with classmates if you always have to commute in right before and right after class..
So what neighborhoods do people live in that are perhaps safer than yours?

Hey guys:

Thanks for the info. Yeah, we're planning on moving to Silver Spring so we're close to both the red line and 95. Looks like it's only 35 miles to b-more and there doesn't seem to be too much traffic going up to baltimore in the mornings since it's against the flow. Plus, I see no reason having a commute of 45 minutes means you have to leave right at noon as soon as classes are done. right?? maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about it :)

Thanks for the info. Yeah, we're planning on moving to Silver Spring so we're close to both the red line and 95. Looks like it's only 35 miles to b-more and there doesn't seem to be too much traffic going up to baltimore in the mornings since it's against the flow. Plus, I see no reason having a commute of 45 minutes means you have to leave right at noon as soon as classes are done. right?? maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about it :)

No, you definitely don't have to. "Against the flow" is like the kiss of death for commuting time though ;). A lot of people stay and study after class.

I was the one with the Greek name, haha that was funny when he said that. Aww im so excited, were going to have such a good class!!

We were definately in the same tour group too...I think you asked if we could go to the trauma center. Are you interested in emergency medicine?

Hey Greek girl! haha.. this is so cute.. I wasn't in ya'll's tour group though

So have you decided where you wanna go?

Hey Greek girl! haha.. this is so cute.. I wasn't in ya'll's tour group though

So have you decided where you wanna go?

probably UMD, 95% sure. were you the girl from california?

We were definately in the same tour group too...I think you asked if we could go to the trauma center. Are you interested in emergency medicine?
I don't want to sound too eager, but the only doctors I've had the opportunities to shadow were surgeons, so right now I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. But I'm sure things might change once we hit rotations 3rd year. What are you interested in?

I don't want to sound too eager, but the only doctors I've had the opportunities to shadow were surgeons, so right now I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. But I'm sure things might change once we hit rotations 3rd year. What are you interested in?

hey doctajay,

I used to be interested in neurology-it inspired me to pursue medicine in the first place, however after working the neuro dept of a hospital for this intermittant year, im not really into it anymore. So, I too am actually interested in surgery , and i think neurosurgery is particularly awesome, but like you said, a lot can change.

surgery here too.. for now.

So what neighborhoods do people live in that are perhaps safer than yours?

A lot of students (including myself) live in apartment communities that are within a few blocks of the hospital, and its really not that bad. Most apartments in the area have security guards and controlled access, and I've never felt unsafe walking to campus. Take that with a grain of salt, though, because I certainly wouldn't walk around by myself late at night - you still have to be smart about things. Still, UMD is well aware of the fact that they are located in an urban environment. There are always police officers patrolling the campus, security guards controlling entrances, shuttle services, etc. I only have to walk 1 block before I hit the perimeter that is patrolled, and there are almost always doctors, nurses, and other professional students walking around the campus, even later at night. I really enjoy living next to campus because of how close everything is, but also because that is where most of our classmates live. In my building alone there are at least 3 other students that I am friends with (I'm sure there are more that I don't know of), so its never been a problem finding someone to walk back with.

Thanks for the info!

My dad was in town so I took him to see it while we were lunching at the harbor.. I noticed the Fayette square place they told us about.. is that basically dorm style?

and isn't it a bit steep? ~900-1000 per person unless you're willing to share with 6 others?.. I mean I don't mind the price if the place is actually very nice.. and I know the fact that it's within walking distance should be factored in..
Are there any other places that are closer or just as close that are nicer?

Oh and does anyone know what tuition is for in-state? they never actually gave us a number at the financial aid session and they have a pdf file online with all the different fees but no total.. but according to my addition that only adds up to about 13K or so.. that doesn't sound right does it?

Thanks for the info!

My dad was in town so I took him to see it while we were lunching at the harbor.. I noticed the Fayette square place they told us about.. is that basically dorm style?

and isn't it a bit steep? ~900-1000 per person unless you're willing to share with 6 others?.. I mean I don't mind the price if the place is actually very nice.. and I know the fact that it's within walking distance should be factored in..
Are there any other places that are closer or just as close that are nicer?

hey there...another 1st year popping in to leave my two cents before the start of our next block tomorrow. :eek:

i live at fayette square and it's definitely worth the rent for two main reasons: it's located on campus and it's managed by the university. this means that the place is always well maintained, there's 24/7 security at the gates (usually a university police officer), and it's just a 5 min walk from class. i'm staying in a 2 br/2 bath apt with a 2nd year med student and it's been working great so far...i guess they did a good job matching us together based on our personality checklists. the rent is $925/mo and it's comparable to what i encountered at other places like Centrepoint. come check out the bldg for yourself -- it's not really much like most college dorms (not loud, messy, or cramped) except that all the residents are grad students.

ladywolverine mentioned not feeling very safe in bmore, and maybe it's b/c she might be living on the other side of MLK, but over here i haven't seen any of the stuff she mentions. no one except the security/police officer has been there to greet my friends and i as we came stumbling home from fed hill or canton at 2 in the morning;)

Wow, I didn't mean to scare ppl with my comment about Baltimore City crime. I'd say the majority of folks in our class live within walking distance of campus, and they rarely have any problems (as long as they play it smart, like SQ was talking about). Before moving to "Bodymore", I was used to living in relatively safe places (e.g. Ann Arbor, Seattle, Bethesda, Georgetown), so moving to an area like southwest Baltimore was a complete and utter shock for me. I live on the "other side of MLK," which is known to be rather...unsafe. However, parts of this area are improving (especially Barre Circle, which is a cute little community with lots of condos currently being developed - Scott Street is really safe and there are lots of students and U employees living there, and it's a 5-10 minute walk to class in the morning). Had I known more about this city prior to living here, I probably would've looked more seriously at this neighborhood as a place to invest.

When I moved to Baltimore, I decided to buy a home. Unfortunately, the only decent properties that were in my price range were located in what one of my classmates calls "Transitional Neighborhoods." So, I had to sacrifice location/distance (I live 2 miles away and have to commute to campus) in order to get the type of house that I wanted. My neighborhood happens to have a lot of inconsiderate folks and drug dealers/addicts, but I installed an ADT system and contacted the local police to come and check in on my place once in a while. I'm still adapting, and I don't think I'll ever feel totally at ease here, but I do feel a lot better than I did my first night here (when I slept for maybe a total of 20 minutes).

If I had it to do all over again, I would've chosen to live in one of the following places:
RENT: Redwood, Centerpointe, Camden Court, Sail Cloth Factory (probably not U Suites, but that's just me. Lots of other folks really like it there.)

BUY: Barre Circle, Mount Vernon, Federal Hill

PS Who's ready for CMB tomorrow? I could use another weekend...:)

Well, I'm LW's classmate who refers to some of the areas west of MLK as "transitional neighborhoods," including my own. I have a somewhat more positive perspective on B'more, which I won't rehash here, given that it is laid out in all its glory on the 2010 thread. I can say the biggest problem with crime I have is that my bike was stolen from the rack outside the school. Nothing has ever happened to me at my house about a mile west of MLK - which is not to say that I don't have some good stories. :) My husband and I opted to buy our house where we did because we feel it is an investment, and our neighborhood, while having drugs, crime, etc, also has some of the fastest rehab work going on in the area (and my husband is a realtor so he does sort of keep his ear to the ground on this sort of thing).

Its definitely personal preference. I've lived in less "safe" environments than some of my classmates, so I have a different perspective. Choose something that makes you feel comfortable. I live where I live not for the neighborhood it is now, but for what I think it will be like 4 and 10 years from now, as our plan is to use the home we purchased as an investment property over the years. But that's just the phase of life I'm in.

Anywho, welcome to those of you that have decided on Maryland, and to those of you on the fence, don't let B'more's rep get you down on the school too much. Its a great place to be and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Great info you guys. Now aside from the location issues, anything about the school itself that's particularly unsavory?.. I'm too in love to be able to judge :love:
What are people like (oh I know.. stereotypical.. but I'm from the suburbs of B'more and if I have to deal with one more idiotic frat/sorority kid I will seriously go crazy).

Anyone know about the total in-state tuition.. minus rent or whatever.. just tuition and fees?

and lastly.. just for giggles.. is it true you can't wear Jeans in med school or is that just my mom's way of trying to get me to stop buying them (seriously.. junior year od HIGH SCHOOl she started that haha I love her).

Allie, my only complaint with Maryland is that the entire class does not fit in the lecture hall. This is a petty and silly complaint, but it annoys me to no end. They built a beautiful brand new lecture hall a couple of years ago and if you don't get to class by 7:30, you may not get a seat.

But seriously, that's about it. For anatomy, there was only one lecturer who I think the majority of us disliked (thought she was a poor lecturer). Maybe a couple more that individuals weren't crazy about, but only the one seemed to bring out unanimous negative opinions from the class.

I really like almost all of my classmates; they're amazingly diverse and interesting people. There's 1 or 2 that get under my skin a bit, but out of 157, that's not bad at all. You can't have warm fuzzies for everyone I guess :)

ICM is hit or miss it seems. Some really enjoy their groups, some are less thrilled. I haven't heard of anyone really hating it - after all its the part where we actually get to see patients. But the time spent there and the sort of things you do really determine who your preceptor(s) are. Its kinda disorganized for some people (my group for example) and I think they could do a better job with it - but really, I still put the experience in the "good" category of things at Maryland.

Maybe some of the others can give you other issues they have. Right now, we're all annoyed because the grades from our final anatomy exam still haven't been posted; they usually have them up the Friday after the exam (most exams are on Mondays). But again - a petty grievance, much overshadowed by my satisfaction with Maryland.

Oh, and here's the link to the full breakdown of the cost of this year. Click on the link that says School of Medicine - M.D. Note that its by semester.

http://www.fincsvc.umaryland.edu/sa/tuition.cfm

Lastly, I can tell you that they really push professionalism and will give you this big speech during orientation about appearing professional at all times, what to wear and what not to wear on and off the wards, in class, in lab, etc. That being said, I wear jeans a lot. Some days I dress more business casual too, and you have to dress professionally for ICM.

Great info you guys. Now aside from the location issues, anything about the school itself that's particularly unsavory?.. I'm too in love to be able to judge :love:
What are people like (oh I know.. stereotypical.. but I'm from the suburbs of B'more and if I have to deal with one more idiotic frat/sorority kid I will seriously go crazy).

Anyone know about the total in-state tuition.. minus rent or whatever.. just tuition and fees?

and lastly.. just for giggles.. is it true you can't wear Jeans in med school or is that just my mom's way of trying to get me to stop buying them (seriously.. junior year od HIGH SCHOOl she started that haha I love her).