University of Maryland Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow i am so overwhelmed with this thread (my work productivity is def gonna go down!) I have to decide between Maryland and GW (but def leaning toward Maryland for obvious reasons!). I am from Bethesda so the in-state tuition would be nice. Have you guys looked into housing yet?? I feel like there are positives and negatives to every possibility and i'm just trying to weigh everything out...

Members don't see this ad.

oh and i know this post is seriously delayed. but about the field of OB/GYN... I currently work as a laboratory andrologist in a fertility center. Although all the docs tell me not to get into general OB, if you wanna specialize and do reproductive endocrinology its a pretty sweet lifestyle. amazing hours and a very well-paying (might i say lucrative) field!
oh and your posts have been so VERY entertaining! :laugh:

if you wanna specialize and do reproductive endocrinology its a pretty sweet lifestyle. amazing hours and a very well-paying (might i say lucrative) field!

Its hilarious that you mention that. We JUST did a case in small group last week on a reproductive endocrinology case. Good to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got some orientation info from another school a few days ago and was wondering, what's orientation like for Maryland?

I'll keep this pretty short and sweet, but basically I'm sure everyone here is wishing we had orientation back! I wanna say it was from August 10th until the 22nd im pretty sure. It consisted of a lot of logistical stuff, like getting ID's, paying lab fees, signing up for this and that, making sure financial aid was straight...

We also got our laptops (yay!) and had a week of ICM (Introduction to Clinical Medicine) lectures on various topics. You can actually go onto Medscope http://medscope.umaryland.edu/ and if you look on the right hand side under "Calendars" and click on Year 1 Lecture Schedule, you can rewind to August and see the various talks we had, and I suppose the rest of our first year schedule for that matter...

Other than that, it was just massive amounts of partying. The 2nd years put together a bunch of social events at bars, restaurants and other places(?) for us all to mingle and get to know each other. That was a great two weeks of "Medical School"...

Oh, we also went on a duck tour of Baltimore on one of the days after a speech from the Dean of the Medical School. Righteous.

Anyone fill out those financial aid forms requested online? I have no idea how to pick a lender :S
UMB is tempting.. because, well.. I'll be going there. But I'm sure that's not the financially sound way of picking :D

Any tips from 2010ers?

Anyone fill out those financial aid forms requested online? I have no idea how to pick a lender :S
UMB is tempting.. because, well.. I'll be going there. But I'm sure that's not the financially sound way of picking :D

Any tips from 2010ers?

I think there's a discussion about this on our thread, try doing a search. I think someone finally talked to someone with financial know-how last year and although many of the "incentives" offered by the lenders end up coming out to pretty much make it even across the board, I think a lot of people eventually went with UMB.

Yo I heard about your apartment, that really sucks dude! If we didnt have a final tuesday id say its time for you to make some more drunk posts.

Toilet water sans toilet alone is reason enough for alcohol, much less a med school final :laugh:

Is there a certain color that is required for scrubs? Does everyone just go for the blues? Any recommendations on brands/stores? how many do you need throughout the year? well it be a big deal if I grab some weird color, I saw some on sale...

I'm trying to see if I can grab a couple while I'm still on the parent's tab. :D

Is there a certain color that is required for scrubs? Does everyone just go for the blues? Any recommendations on brands/stores? how many do you need throughout the year? well it be a big deal if I grab some weird color, I saw some on sale...

I'm trying to see if I can grab a couple while I'm still on the parent's tab. :D

Scrub color? Nothing required, I pretty much saw the rainbow during anatomy lab. Men wear purple and pink at their own risk (though I saw pink and i would rock it myself, though it would have to be the Shock Trauma ones). There's a scrub sale at the beginning of the school year thats pretty cheap, most students buy the scrubs then. You can also order cheap ones online, one of my college roomates went on allheart.com and found some really good deals...you only need them for 10 weeks, and the first portion of neuro (3 weeks). Get at least 2 pairs, as they eventually get REALLY smelly! I ended up getting one pair for everyday of the week, thats not really necessary. Three should be pretty straight.

You can buy whatever scrubs you want. However, I would advise against Allheart, as they screwed up my order, and royally screwed up LW's order (a big order for a bunch of people).

I only had one pair and washed them once a week, and it wasn't too bad. Of course, I spent as little time in anatomy lab as humanly possible.

BTW, I didn't think we needed them for neuro? I'm certainly not buying new scrubs ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can buy whatever scrubs you want. However, I would advise against Allheart, as they screwed up my order, and royally screwed up LW's order (a big order for a bunch of people).

I only had one pair and washed them once a week, and it wasn't too bad. Of course, I spent as little time in anatomy lab as humanly possible.

BTW, I didn't think we needed them for neuro? I'm certainly not buying new scrubs ;)

Considering we all ceremonially burned our scrubs after anatomy, I don't think we need them.

I wouldn't say "don't" order from Allheart - just do it now so when they take 2 months to send your order, get it wrong, and take another 2 months to correct it and resend, you'll still have your scrubs for anatomy. :rolleyes:

Scrub color? Nothing required, I pretty much saw the rainbow during anatomy lab. Men wear purple and pink at their own risk (though I saw pink and i would rock it myself, though it would have to be the Shock Trauma ones).

Haha, there are pictures of Lieberman wearing his purple scrubs on day 1 of anatomy. But he's the kind of guy that can pull it off.

I wouldn't say "don't" order from Allheart - just do it now so when they take 2 months to send your order, get it wrong, and take another 2 months to correct it and resend, you'll still have your scrubs for anatomy. :rolleyes:

Yeah, a company that doesn't even have a phone number on the site and you have to google all over to find. Shaaaaady.

I will add myself that I showed my mother the allheart website and she was pretty distrustful of it...she's a nurse and never heard of the brand before. the only reason I even considered it was because you can get red scrubs with the Terps logo on it! Yeah, but then I wasnt going to spend $55 on them so that wasn't happening

LS, youre right! I remember those purple scrubs...but he definitely pulled it off, he's got the personality and the eyes for it too.

About going back to the lab, I cannot confirm that myself, I guess we will find out this week. I was talking to a certain individual about it, you know, the one who mysteriously found "micropenis" among other phrases in his notes. He said they still have our preserved brains in the lab (I think thats actually true). Maybe we wont be going back there and they'll bring them to the PODS :scared:

About going back to the lab, I cannot confirm that myself, I guess we will find out this week. I was talking to a certain individual about it, you know, the one who mysteriously found "micropenis" among other phrases in his notes. He said they still have our preserved brains in the lab (I think thats actually true). Maybe we wont be going back there and they'll bring them to the PODS :scared:

We're definitely using the brains, that's why we saved them in those big jars at the end of anatomy. I just don't think scrubs will be necessary as working with a brain is not nearly so.... juicy? as working with the cadaver which you might need to lean over, etc. So I say no scrubs. I'm sure the 2nd years would have told us to save a pair for neuro if we really needed them.

Now go study and stop taking over the 2011 thread!

aah brains. In undergrad, I didn't mind the dead body so much as I did the head. The face especially. We weren't doing anything with the head so our instructor just covered it with a torn flannel shirt. Well 2 weeks later, there were these 2 green/blue circles on the beige flannel--where the eyes would be.

Sleep didn't come easy that night.

aah brains. In undergrad, I didn't mind the dead body so much as I did the head. The face especially. We weren't doing anything with the head so our instructor just covered it with a torn flannel shirt. Well 2 weeks later, there were these 2 green/blue circles on the beige flannel--where the eyes would be.

Sleep didn't come easy that night.

You'll get over it, quick. Especially when you crack open the frontal sinuses, gouge the eyes out with a spoon, and then get the Stryker saw out to...well, you get the picture :D

Haha, there are pictures of Lieberman wearing his purple scrubs on day 1 of anatomy. But he's the kind of guy that can pull it off.

I remember those purple scrubs...but he definitely pulled it off, he's got the personality and the eyes for it too.

I'm mildly offended by these comments. Just what are you trying to insinuate about men who wear purple? I think he alternated the purples on the days when he was feeling very englighted (perhaps after 8 hours of yoga?), and the black ones when he was feeling "not-so-fresh." :laugh:

You wanna know the gross part? He still wore those purple ones around the house, well after anatomy was over. I don't care how many times you wash them - they're not acceptable lounging-wear. :thumbdown:

Lol! Hey, I wasn't poking fun, I really did like the purple on him, no joke! Besides, that's my ICM buddy right there...I must say though, lounging around in them after their use is up is HILARIOUS, and quite brave too considering the smell of a room full of formalin-infused cadavers :laugh:

OK, back to the never ending physio :thumbdown:

Hey does anyone know if it is too late to apply for those delegate scholarships? I spaced out for a while and missed the March 1st deadline for the Professional whatchamacallit scholarship..

What's up with the lack of posting on this thread? Come on, 2011, get moving! Around this time last year, a bunch of us were meeting up for drinks!! Where are you guys? Are there still a lot of ppl waiting on acceptances?

And, before I forget, CONGRATS 2010 ON BEING DONE WITH PHYSIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that you are all as ecstatic as I am!!!

Now, on to neuro......

6 weeks. 6 weeks, and we're DONE.

PS LyaZ:
I just got my delegate scholarship app in the mail the other day. I had to contact the office to get it, and now I have to fill out an application/write an essay. If you're interested, try contacting the office.

what office? the fin aid office? because they told me I need to contact my delegate directly. I just spent an hour trying to figure out who they are.. to no avail. So I called this number and the lady asks me if I'm registered to vote.. wooops! heh. So I'm lost.

yes you need to contact the office directly to get it. you have to figure out what voting region you are in (for instance im in district 42) and contact the specific delegate(s) from your district. If your perminent address is still you parents house (like mine, im a baby) you can ask them, assuming they vote. i think it applies to you too. to be shamefully honest i didnt even know about the scholarship until my dad gave me the application...

now on for questions for current students... how do you get grades for coursework...is it all tests? or do you have other college like stuff like lab reports, presentations, research papers, homeworks...etc. Is it one test per course or multiple tests? is your grade in a course based off of one exam? I just have no idea how this works....

No worries, I got you.

how do you get grades for coursework...is it all tests?

Depends on the course, grades are mostly determined by tests though. Anatomy consisted on three exams and that was the grade. Granted, those exams had three parts to each one, a multiple choice written, a multiple choice dry practical, and a wet practical identifying structures in cadavers in the lab. In biochemistry, it was four exams-one open book and three closed book-one presentation and a grade for participation during other student presentations during "conferences". Physiology was four exams and a grade for small group attendance. Neuro, which we just started, has a presentation and two exams (a written portion and a dry practical to each).

or do you have other college like stuff like lab reports, presentations, research papers, homeworks...etc.

We do have presentations, one in biochem and one in neuro. We do have homework too, but its never graded, its more for us to do and bring to small group to discuss whatever problems/cases we were assigned. The amount of hw given also is class dependent.

Is it one test per course or multiple tests?

You gathered it from my previous responses, but mulitple exams. Three in anatomy, four (i guess ill count the open book) in biochemistry, four in physio and two in neuro. It may be different for you guys, for instance, the current 2nd years had two open book exams and three closed books in their biochem class. I'm pretty sure the amount of closed books you have will be pretty much the same though.

is your grade in a course based off of one exam?

Nope, never...that would possibly increase the prevalence of our students on medication :laugh:

And, before I forget, CONGRATS 2010 ON BEING DONE WITH PHYSIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that you are all as ecstatic as I am!!!

Hell yeah!

6 weeks. 6 weeks, and we're DONE.

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

And I'm incredibly happy cause I FINALLY have summer research plans! Its smooooooooth sailing now! Except we are burned out and still have 6 weeks left lol

Ok, now on to the REALLY important information for incoming MS1's.......

where are the good places to hang out and get wasted after an exam?? :D
or maybe just good places to get drink and/or food. I'm a MD resident but know nothing about baltimore except for the inner harbor and Paper Moon.

what office? the fin aid office? because they told me I need to contact my delegate directly. I just spent an hour trying to figure out who they are.. to no avail. So I called this number and the lady asks me if I'm registered to vote.. wooops! heh. So I'm lost.

This might help. If you are a Maryland resident, you can use this website to find your elected officials. Remember to use your permanent address (ie parent's address not school address) if you're a traditional college student!

For residents of other states, I recommend seeing if your state has a similar site using google. Also, try using Project Vote Smart. The only catch here is that you need your nine digit zip code (not just the 1st 5 numbers). So you'll have to do a separate search using the USPS website as I assume most of you are like me and don't really have your entire 9 digit zipcode memorized. :D

or maybe just good places to get drink and/or food. I'm a MD resident but know nothing about baltimore except for the inner harbor and Paper Moon.

Finally! A question that I CAN answer! Glad to know that somebody has priorities other than just school. :)

I went to Red Maple last night in Mount Vernon - I would TOTALLY go there again. Super-swank, loungy vibe, good music, live bellydancing and lessons, great turnout (even on a Wednesday night!) - the only issue is the pricy drinks (martini-type drinks are around $8-10, beer/wine is expensive, too). They do have a happy hour from 5-7 that has $4 tapas (these were PHENOMENAL) and $5 cosmos/appletinis - this was certainly a good deal.
I like the bars/restaurants in Mount Vernon, in general.
Powerplant-area bars/clubs are ok, but it tends to be a really young, kinda obnoxious scene (a bunch of immature 21-year olds getting wasted and generally being annoying). However, we had a couple of functions at Mex!, which I really liked, because they have decent, relatively inexpensive food and cheap drink specials (ask LS about the Margaritas - and what happened to her after consuming them ;) ). I also like the Lodge Bar at powerplant, and there's a cool salsa club there as well (I don't remember the name off the top of my head).
I like dive bars, and Baltimore certainly has its share. I like places like Harbor Way Inn and Pickles, but I really dislike Camden Pub. Fells has some cute/trendy places, like DuClaw's. There are a few fun places in Federal Hill (there's a trendy lounge with good music but it gets packed), McGerks, Thirsty Dog, and Ropewalk are fun, and a couple other places are ok, but I would avoid Mad River like the plague - it's a typical "Fed Hill" bar/club that's always filled with ex-frat types who still think it's cool to get completely wasted within 5 minutes of arriving, grope/grind on women they don't know, stand around and block the flow of traffic, etc. It reminds me of a disgusting frat house (typical frat-party music, drunk 20-somethings grinding, groping, and making out on the dance floor, people throwing up in bathrooms, guys in backwards baseball caps yelling and screaming the words to Def Leopard/Bon Jovi songs, etc.) - I was greek in college, and I have nothing against the greek life, but come on, people, grow up and show a little class! Anyway, I strongly disike this place, although it seems to be popular with some of the younger contingent. Use at your own risk.
Also, if you are sports fan, Ropewalk is my choice of venue to watch games. If any of you are Michigan fans, there are a lot of Michigan alumni who go there to watch football games during the season. I go there a lot for these games (obviously) :D
Near school is an Irish pub/restaurant called Maggie Moores (I like this place), and also a pool hall called Bedrock (not the greatest layout, but an ok place if you like being on display - lots of windows = not the best ambiance). If you go there, you'll see what I mean.

Anyhoo, I hope this helps. I don't go out a whole lot, but when I do, I like to try different places. There's definitely nightlife here, so don't worry!

I second that on Red Maple.. awesome place.

awesome. Thanks LadyWolverine for all the helpful hints! I'm going to print out your post and tape it to my wall or something equally dorky :)

Also, after every exam the class council puts together post-exam events. I didnt read all of LW's post so I dont know if she mentioned it...sorry if you did! These events are pretty much at bars, so if you are looking to get extra-nice after an exam 'cause you didnt do so hot, or you did really well, or youre just burned out, your classmates will def be there with you lol. And we usually get pretty good specials too, and since they mostly have monday exams, we are the only ones in there! So yeah after a few exams you'll naturally get a feel for where the spots are around the city, because where there's a bar or club, there's always tons more around!

Canton, powerpoint live and Fell's Point is where most things are, but LW was right about mostly everything...except around powerpoint (and fells too) theyre not just the "immature 21 yr olds" lol, theyre also the local college freshmen with fakes that run around there! One of my best friends went to Loyola college and he always went with friends to powerpoint and fells...he very well could have been one of the people she spoke of!

What's up with the lack of posting on this thread? Come on, 2011, get moving! Around this time last year, a bunch of us were meeting up for drinks!! Where are you guys? Are there still a lot of ppl waiting on acceptances?

I agree. There doesn't seem to be many of us.. 3 or 4? Is Maryland not giving out acceptances?.. I doubt we can meet up for anything with so few of us.

I'm class of 2011......but i'm in california. Guess no drinks for me :thumbdown:

I just contacted my delegates (I'm in district 16) and they said that for this district, there's no application involved. They only consider your FAFSA (if it was filed before the March 1st deadline) and then they pretty much notify you late July/early August to let you know if you've been awarded anything.
Have you guys started looking into Staffords etc? are there any deadlines?

Secondly, i'm a 2011-er and am definitely down to get together once we can recruit enough people! I'm in the Bethesda area but could easily do Baltimore or DC so keep me posted! :)

God I hope my district is the same.

I'm about 25 minutes north of Baltimore, and in D.C when ever I get the chance so I'm definitely up for it. It'd be cool to get to know some people before everything starts.

Hey, it's April 13th.. wheeeeere is my financial aid huh! Gimme moneeeeey :D

I'm a 2011 and down for meeting up too though probably not until after graduation :/ I'm an OOSer too I wonder if VA does the delegate thingy? any other suggestions for OOS $$?

LOL don't post much but this is a question I can actually contribute to:hardy:

Of course the best place to just get wasted is at home with other med students after an exam:D . the next best place is Pickle's. It's a bar that's just a couple blocks from the library, which has 2 beers for $2 along with cheap (and good) pizza and other bar appetizers.

I second Red Maple as a good lounge to go to if you're planning on just chillin with a group of people and dance a little. It's kinda on the expensive side, so plan ahead (i.e., drink ahead of time). I've only been there on Thursdays, and the place has never been packed so don't really expect to meet a ton of new people.

Federal Hill is usually the place we end up at whenever we go out on Friday nights. The bars in the area are usually packed on Friday nights, and MaGerk's is the most popular one. Recently my friends and I discovered this small karaoke place on a small side street that we hit up sometimes -- it has these extremely potent and tasty shots called Leviticus. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the place b/c, well, I've always been drunk by that time of the night. Ropewalk is also a great place, especially the second floor:laugh:

hmmm...I can't disagree on LW's take on Mad River, but the reasons she cited are why it's fun lol. Gotta reminisce sometimes about the good ol' frat days, especially after a long, stressful pre-exam week of studying. However, i draw the line at going out to fells point or powerplant live where it's basically an underage college freshman crowd. Only time you can't miss Fells is Halloween.

Ok 2010ers I was trying to figure out where un yalls 40 pages of posts you talked about financial aid but I can't find it for the life of me- does it make a big difference who you borrow from? Should I go with my parents bank or my own if I'm the one taking loans out? Did any of yall just go with UMD as a lender and if so are you happy with that decision? oy maybe I should just call the financial aid office

Ok 2010ers I was trying to figure out where un yalls 40 pages of posts you talked about financial aid but I can't find it for the life of me- does it make a big difference who you borrow from? Should I go with my parents bank or my own if I'm the one taking loans out? Did any of yall just go with UMD as a lender and if so are you happy with that decision? oy maybe I should just call the financial aid office

A week ago I read on that thread that someone had asked some financial guy and they figured that UMD was the best lender. Then someone did their own calculation and came up with UMD as a better choice as well, something about saving 1500 over a 10 year period. So I chose UMD.

Hey guys, if you were looking for the 2010 thread for info that we discussed previously, this is the link http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=244602&highlight=Maryland+2010

I didnt look for it cause I'm too lazy, and wasting brain cells watching "I Love New York". It's such a train wreck of a show and I don't even like it, but for some reason I watch anyway...hope that helps!