University of Illinois C/O 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how long interviews are? And how many people they usually interview?
Interview approximately 400ish

Interviews are generally 20-30 minutes depending on how it's going

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does this school offer a lot of scholarships to its students usually or not?

Does this school offer a lot of scholarships to its students usually or not?
I can't speak to what it's currently like, but several new scholarship funds are being developed with some of the money from fundraising from a couple years ago. There seems to be a push publicly towards more scholarships.

I think they also only have one central application, and match students to scholarships on the backend.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s good to know, thank you!!
I can't speak to what it's currently like, but several new scholarship funds are being developed with some of the money from fundraising from a couple years ago. There seems to be a push publicly towards more scholarships.

I think they also only have one central application, and match students to scholarships on the backend.

Source is buried in here, I think towards the back! There's quite a long section on it iirc.

Source is buried in here, I think towards the back! There's quite a long section on it iirc.

Wow thank you so much!!! I was wanting to do more research on the school

Reactions: 1 user
Every time I open my email and don't find an interview invite from Illinois
download (1).jpg

• Care
Especially since Illinois is one of three possibilities left for me this cycle and I don't think my UMN interview went super well. Illinois please 🥲

You won’t hear anything about scholarships prior to entering school though. Any “recruitment scholarships” that some people get have been given at the end of first year (yes, it makes 0 sense don't ask me why)

Also, pretty often a few number of students get multiple scholarships and many people get zilch. I also don’t know why that can occur but I’m not on the scholarship committee deciding which poor vet student is most needy. If you’re better at writing and convincing people you’re the most poor, you may have better luck, but 🙃

You won’t hear anything about scholarships prior to entering school though. Any “recruitment scholarships” that some people get have been given at the end of first year (yes, it makes 0 sense don't ask me why)
Are the scholarships all need based?

I have a scholarship booklet from where I was awarded a few. I can double check, but not all are needs based. Some are locations based, clubs based, etc.

If you think about it, 80% of vet students need financial assistance for vet school. So chances are you qualify. You just need to apply for FAFSA

Even though the interviews are generally pretty short, would they leave you time in the end to ask questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though the interviews are generally pretty short, would they leave you time in the end to ask questions?
Yes, I had time to ask questions at the end of my interview

Are the scholarships all need based?
Some were merit based iirc, some are based on where you are from (I know there are some for a couple different counties in illinois, might be some for other states), clubs, I think some are nominated by that service in 4th year iirc for outstanding performance or something like that. I do recall that a lot were need based though, but I don’t know the percentage of need based ones vs like merit ones.

Also, pretty often a few number of students get multiple scholarships and many people get zilch. I also don’t know why that can occur but I’m not on the scholarship committee deciding which poor vet student is most needy. If you’re better at writing and convincing people you’re the most poor, you may have better luck, but 🙃
+1. A few in-state people in my class nearly got full rides by getting multiple scholarships/year. I don’t know how they make decisions because in theory, the more scholarships one gets, the less needy they are. Need based scholarships in grad school are pretty ridiculous if you think about it. Like @battie said, nearly everyone is equally as needy unless your family is able to pay your way (or even part of your way).

They seemed to have become more conservative since class of 2020 being over accepted.
Also lol. The absolute CHAOS this caused! I’ve told so many people that story. Also that my class had most of our first year lectures in the anatomy and microbio labs because we literally had no classrooms, and finally the whole 9 grades for all four years of vet school thing. The last one really confuses people. Now that I’m a grown up, I use that tidbit to shut up externs who try to complain to me about rotations or a single test bringing their GPA down :laugh:

• Haha
I just emailed them today declining my interview since I got accepted into my in-state school. I really hope one of y’all on the interview waitlist hear from them this week. Best of luck to everyone :) ❤️

Reactions: 5 users
Just declined my interview offer! I hope someone else gets the chance to interview 😊

Reactions: 6 users
Check your email if you got an interview offer! They just sent times. I’m happy that my time doesn’t interfere with work but I will have to get up a little earlier than normal and I’m not a morning person so hopefully it goes well.

Last edited:
Check your email if you got an interview offer! They just sent times. I’m happy that my time doesn’t interfere with work but I will have to get up a little earlier than normal and I’m not a morning person so hopefully it goes well.
I was at 8:20 am after driving 8 hours from Missouri the night before, and 11 hours the day before that! Obviously went well 😅

Reactions: 3 users
Any current students on here want to touch on Illinois’ exotics program / what opportunities they have within the exotics field?

Any current students on here want to touch on Illinois’ exotics program / what opportunities they have within the exotics field?
Not a current student, but you're going to get Wild life med a lot as a reply. I have a friend who is a First Year and works here. It sounds like a lot of effort, but super rewarding.

I can speak on my personal experience with the WMC and second hand knowledge of the WEL and individual options with profs and such

Declined my interview offer! I hope one of y'all on the interview waitlist gets a chance ~ GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 5 users
does anyone know what the format of the interviews are? Like a panel or one on one?

Is anyone familiar with past cycles and relatively how long after interviews decisions are emailed?

does anyone know what the format of the interviews are? Like a panel or one on one?
A clinical year or third year student, professor, and alumni as a group. Closed file with similar/same questions for everyone.

Is anyone familiar with past cycles and relatively how long after interviews decisions are emailed?
Depends on the year. I got mine march 1, but I feel like that last few years have been sent out earlier than that

I remember someone saying that everyone who interviews will either be accepted or waitlisted. Is this true or did I make that up?

I guess since interview day is Monday, if I don't get off the wait-list today I'll consider myself rejected.

• Care
Honestly I'm considering emailing admissions to ask when/if waitlisters should hear back but I don't want to be weird 😅

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Okay! I emailed them and anyone else on the wait-list can await their reply with me 😬

• Care
They said they will not be giving more interview invites for Monday but if needed will have another interview day later.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone gotten their zoom link? I’m a little concerned I haven’t gotten an email yet but trying to be patient :)

They said they will not be giving more interview invites for Monday but if needed will have another interview day later.

May I ask where you found this information? I met with Dr. Connolly earlier this week and I thought she had mentioned that Feb 13th is the only day of interviews. I may have misunderstood though

May I ask where you found this information? I met with Dr. Connolly earlier this week and I thought she had mentioned that Feb 13th is the only day of interviews. I may have misunderstood though
They only will do a second day of interviews if they do not expect fill their class or get a good amount of declines of acceptances prior to the April deadline and need more candidates in their pool for acceptances/waitlist. I believe last cycle is the only time it has happened in the last few years.

I emailed them
They only will do a second day of interviews if they do not expect fill their class or get a good amount of declines of acceptances prior to the April deadline and need more candidates in their pool for acceptances/waitlist. I believe last cycle is the only time it has happened in the last few years.
This year is slightly different because they put people on an interview waitlist so I thought maybe the interview waitlist people would be called off before February 13th this time, but apparently not.

I emailed them

This year is slightly different because they put people on an interview waitlist so I thought maybe the interview waitlist people would be called off before February 13th this time, but apparently not.

Awesome, thank you so much! That is what I was thinking too! That gives me a little more hope!

• Care
Quick question about interview topics: I’ve seen some sample interview questions posted around SDN and elsewhere, and some of them required describing various diseases/disorders. For those who have interviewed in past cycles, were there any questions like this, or is it more centered around personal/experience-related questions?

Quick question about interview topics: I’ve seen some sample interview questions posted around SDN and elsewhere, and some of them required describing various diseases/disorders. For those who have interviewed in past cycles, were there any questions like this, or is it more centered around personal/experience-related questions?
You do not have to know any disease processes or have to describe a disease. That would be unfair to people who don’t have that exposure. They’re not looking for right or wrong answers, just *how* you answer. Be confident in your answers and you are more than allowed to tell them you need a couple seconds to collect your thoughts before answering. Good luck everyone interviewing on Monday!

• Care
Interviewees are honor bound to not share specific questions for Illinois. With that being said, I didn't have an interview question about diseases either as an interviewer or interviewee