University of Illinois C/O 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I a little sad about not making it to phase 2? Yeah I’d say so. But Illinois has always had a high OOS cutoff gpa
I did not know this and I thought did excellent research. I always thought it was a very holistic process and if you made it past GPA cutoff phase 1, you were reviewed. I didn’t know that they had a phase 1 cut off, then ordered those who made the cut off, then made a new cut off for entry into phase 2. I thought everyone who made the gpa was reviewed

Their process is very similar to LSU, where they only review top 150 gpa OOS apps, which I knew going in to LSU application…. but I thought illi was much more holistic

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did not know this and I thought did excellent research. I always thought it was a very holistic process and if you made it past GPA cutoff phase 1, you were reviewed. I didn’t know that they had a phase 1 cut off, then ordered those who made the cut off, then made a new cut off for entry into phase 2. I thought everyone who made the gpa was reviewed

Their process is very similar to LSU, where they only review top 150 gpa OOS apps, which I knew going in to LSU application…. but I thought illi was much more holistic
I’ve always thought Illinois to be one of the lesser holistic schools. They have a lot of requirements along with a high GPA cutoff, they’re kind of like Tennessee honestly

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve always thought Illinois to be one of the lesser holistic schools. They have a lot of requirements along with a high GPA cutoff, they’re kind of like Tennessee honestly
Yeah, I am going to review the notes I took on each of the schools if I can find them. I was clearly incorrect about their admissions process. (No one to blame but myself for that)

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I must say this seems like a terrible way to assess candidates. You can go to a top 10 school with strong academic rigor, participate in research, and have thousands of hours of animal experience and great LORs, but you don't move to Phase 2 because somebody at a community college gets a tenth of a point higher GPA? It doesn't make much sense to me. I think this is the only school that does not use a holistic approach for both undergrad and for graduate school.
I understand your frustration, but putting aside that schools have to have some way to cut down on the number of applications that they review (literal thousands), and that most absolutely do not use a holistic review for that first cut, please keep in mind that you are talking about people who will be your colleagues in this profession. Community college does not equal easy, and you don't have to diminish the hard work of others in this way to emphasize your own.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users
I must say this seems like a terrible way to assess candidates. You can go to a top 10 school with strong academic rigor, participate in research, and have thousands of hours of animal experience and great LORs, but you don't move to Phase 2 because somebody at a community college gets a tenth of a point higher GPA? It doesn't make much sense to me. I think this is the only school that does not use a holistic approach for both undergrad and for graduate school.
I understand your frustration and I fully appreciate that GPA doesn’t mean much without context of what else you were occupied with and achieved during that time, but there’s no reason to bring “top 10 schools” vs “community college” into it. Be careful with how you let out your frustration - it’s valid, but I get the feeling of you taking it out by “punching down” from this message. I know rejections hurt (believe me, I get it. I have a massive and easily bruised ego lmao), but you don’t need to put down others to prove your worth to anyone. You are smart and accomplished and awesome to get to this point. So are many, many people who went to community colleges. There are lot of reasons very intelligent and hardworking people go to community college (being smart by saving tuition money, more able to work part-time/support family, unable to move for school, etc), it’s not a dumping ground for people who couldn’t hack it at “top 10 schools”.

• Care
Reactions: 20 users
Congrats to everyone who made it past phase one. I am a 2021 grad along with @battie. @SkiOtter graduated this past year. Not sure if they’ve shown up yet.

Happy to answer any questions, though for now this is a “hold onto your hats” situation while you wait for phase II results.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone who made it past phase one. I am a 2021 grad along with @battie. @SkiOtter graduated this past year. Not sure if they’ve shown up yet.

Happy to answer any questions, though for now this is a “hold onto your hats” situation while you wait for phase II results.
You know I’ve just been lurking in the background

spoiler GIF

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Oos denial /: Same as others got the you past phase I but didn’t make it to phase II email… oh 🐋

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
OOS denial (first-time applicant). Same message as everyone else; passed phase I but didn't make it to II

• Care
OOS denied. I made it past phase 1 GPA cut off but didn’t rank high enough for application review?I don’t understand. I feel bummed as heck.

Trauma dump warning:
How is a ~3.7 GPA not good enough to even be looked at??? I am so much more than a number.

rant over.
Same here. I have a 3.74. Not very happy right now

OOS denied, first time applicant. This is my first denial so a little upset but trying to stay positive!!! Congrats to everyone who made it through!!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I have a 3.74. Not very happy right now
I'm not happy but also happy for everyone else, if that makes sense. I know schools have to make cuts and I respect it, but I so wish that they had the man power to holistically review some aspects of the application before making such drastic cuts. Idk. I don't have an answer, just praying there is a school out there for me this cycle. 2 down...7 to go.

• Care
OOS denied, second time applicant. Same as others, made it past phase 1 but not to 2. Best of luck to everyone who made it to phase 2!

• Care
First time applying to Illinois, passed phase 1 but not high enough to move on to phase 2.

Congrats to those moving forward! For those of us not, do not feel discouraged! If this is meant for you, it will come! I never thought I’d be accepted to vet school but have received 3 acceptances this cycle so far. Do not give up! It can and it will happen if you keep going! Sending everyone good luck moving forward 🫶

It sounds like the admissions process has changed. For one, this notification about phase 1 is about a month early compared to previous cycles. For another, the process used to be that one you passed phase 1, you were considered for phase 2 universally.

However, with that being said, Illinois has had a massive jump in applicants over the last decade, which the administration is probably attributing to the "new" curriculum. With the class of 2020 resulting in a large over-acceptance rate, I feel that admissions has had to become more conservative with cut offs over the last 5 years or so.

It sucks, and it sounds like under this new system, I might not have been admitted with my stats. Keep improving your applications; always assume you're going to be rejected and treat your academics and ECs as such. Good luck with your other schools.

To those moving on, nice! My advice still stands; act is it you're going to be rejected. But I hope for good news to you; I enjoyed my time at Illinois and felt well sorted through various issues I had. I hope you all share the same experience

Reactions: 13 users
It sounds like the admissions process has changed. For one, this notification about phase 1 is about a month early compared to previous cycles. For another, the process used to be that one you passed phase 1, you were considered for phase 2 universally.

However, with that being said, Illinois has had a massive jump in applicants over the last decade, which the administration is probably attributing to the "new" curriculum. With the class of 2020 resulting in a large over-acceptance rate, I feel that admissions has had to become more conservative with cut offs over the last 5 years or so.

It sucks, and it sounds like under this new system, I might not have been admitted with my stats. Keep improving your applications; always assume you're going to be rejected and treat your academics and ECs as such. Good luck with your other schools.

To those moving on, nice! My advice still stands; act is it you're going to be rejected. But I hope for good news to you; I enjoyed my time at Illinois and felt well sorted through various issues I had. I hope you all share the same experience

Thanks for updating us -- that is how I thought their app process was and how I had it in my notes. Feels good to know I was not crazy lol

With all due respect, I think applicants can get a much better idea of the admissions process through communication with the program (including application review, if Illinois offers that, post-cycle) and in viewing the stats of people admitted, rather than through comments that clearly disparage those in other educational situations than the person making the comment.

Particularly when that comment is originating from someone who doesn't even have any experience with the application process at that program.

Reactions: 12 users
They definitely have a large number of applicants. They told us at the blue coat ceremony that about 1 in 5 applicants who applied last cycle applied to Illinois - looking at last year's thread, someone called ASA and was told there were over 2400 applicants. They also mentioned at the beginning of the year that our class (154 students) had the highest average GPA of any class they've admitted, so it was also a super competitive application cycle.
communication with the program (including application review, if Illinois offers that, post-cycle)

For those who are interested, Illinois does file reviews. I believe you would need to contact ASA, but they don't start these until April.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS (international student) denied, same as everyone else, passed phase I but didn't get selected for II. Good luck to the people who made it to phase II. Trying to stay positive🤞

First time applying to Illinois, passed phase 1 but not high enough to move on to phase 2.

Congrats to those moving forward! For those of us not, do not feel discouraged! If this is meant for you, it will come! I never thought I’d be accepted to vet school but have received 3 acceptances this cycle so far. Do not give up! It can and it will happen if you keep going! Sending everyone good luck moving forward 🫶
Congrats on your 3 acceptances though! Where all have you been accepted?

I'm not happy but also happy for everyone else, if that makes sense. I know schools have to make cuts and I respect it, but I so wish that they had the man power to holistically review some aspects of the application before making such drastic cuts. Idk. I don't have an answer, just praying there is a school out there for me this cycle. 2 down...7 to go.
I completely agree!! We will end up where we need to be :)

OOS made it to phase II. Does anyone know how many that make it to phase II will be invited for interviews vs rejected?

4.0. But I’ve had one acceptance, one rejection and one waitlist. Each school is so different. I don’t want it to be assumed GPA is everything. I have a rejection to prove it isn’t.

if you dont mind sharing, what was your GPA?
OOS moving to Phase 2:

3.72 overall GPA (3.67 UG and 4.0 G), 3.63 overall science GPA (3.53 UG science), and 3.76 last 45 GPA

GRE: 79th percentile verbal/61st percentile quantitative/91st percentile analytical writing

OOS moving to phase II. I didn't realize they got so many applicants this year.

Last edited:
OOS denied. Made the GPA cutoff but not good enough for phase 2. 2nd rejection this week so I'm in my feels now :/

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
It was 2,237, according to the newsletter they sent out. Which is nuts! That breakdown doesn't give IS/OOS, but just over 10k people applied to vet school this cycle.

I will continue to be the resident MVS student cheering all of you on, lord knows I'll need it when I apply in a couple years!

It was 2,237, according to the newsletter they sent out. Which is nuts! That breakdown doesn't give IS/OOS, but just over 10k people applied to vet school this cycle.

I will continue to be the resident MVS student cheering all of you on, lord knows I'll need it when I apply in a couple years!
@VeggieTrex Where did you get those stats from?

I've been signed up to monthly UIUC vet med emails for years, it was in this month's.

Got my IS rejection last week. Just sucks because 2 years ago I was interviewed and waitlisted and now they say my GPA isn't good enough even though that and my application overall improved since then.

• Care
A little late to the party, first time OOS applicant. Passed phase I and moving on to phase II.

• Love
Got my IS rejection last week. Just sucks because 2 years ago I was interviewed and waitlisted and now they say my GPA isn't good enough even though that and my application overall improved since then.
I am in the same boat as you, IS applicant that got denied this year and last year but I was interviewed and waitlisted two years ago. I did poorly in my first few years of undergrad and I improved since then and got a Master's degree. They also could not provide me with an application review for my application last year due to short staff. It's frustrating and heartbreaking.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I am in the same boat as you, IS applicant that got denied this year and last year but I was interviewed and waitlisted two years ago. I did poorly in my first few years of undergrad and I improved since then and got a Master's degree. They also could not provide me with an application review for my application last year due to short staff. It's frustrating and heartbreaking.
Me three, I’m IS and was waitlisted last cycle but didn’t make the cut off this year. It’s so frustrating when you’ve improved your application overall but they won’t even look at it because the GPAs this cycle are more competitive.

• Care
Me three, I’m IS and was waitlisted last cycle but didn’t make the cut off this year. It’s so frustrating when you’ve improved your application overall but they won’t even look at it because the GPAs this cycle are more competitive.
Very frustrating. Like on one hand I understand that I don't have the best GPA, but it's not abysmal. I mainly just struggled with orgs but ended up getting an A after a few attempts and my other classes I got A's and B's in except for like 1 C. I just wish they would look at my application in whole. I have a lot of experience and have been working in vet med for 5 years and the one doctor who wrote my letter used to work on the admissions committee as a student, and they literally asked me about him when I interviewed 2 years ago when they found out where I work (so I purposely had him write on in hopes that it would help this year, but that's life I suppose.)

• Care

How do you sign up for the newsletter?

How do you sign up for the newsletter?
I think I signed up when my rabbits were first patients there, because I can't see a spot for it. You can get the wildlife clinics newsletter though, and that may also come with wider CVM emails.:shrug:

IS first time non-trad applicant onto second phase. I am so grateful and feel fortunate to have made it so far. I really had no idea what my chances were given everything I read about how cut throat the first cut off is. Sorry to everyone who didn’t make it.

Reactions: 5 users
I applied the past 2 cycles, and they didn't have a portal for either one. I just looked back at my emails for a rough timeline of events. Both years they sent an e-mail in early December about my application status, and in late January is when they sent out the e-mail with interview offers.

Here's a link in case anyone wants to know what's looked at in each part

In both of my application cycles, I didn't hear anything from them after the processing of my application fee until the December e-mail about my application status.
Dang so you don’t think we will find out interviews until LATE January? I’m so sad. I’m so stressed 😩 lol

Dang so you don’t think we will find out interviews until LATE January? I’m so sad. I’m so stressed 😩 lol
Hard to say tbh. Phase 1 emails were historically sent mid December, but this year it was way sooner