UNC vs Wake vs Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdwildcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a NC resident accepted to these three schools and am wondering to those who interviewed/accepted/attend any of them whether they could give me some perspective for making my decision. I was offered pretty much a full ride at Wake, in-state tuition at Miami, and still no news regarding financial aid at UNC. Finances weigh a lot but I just wanted to see if anyone might have some good advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a NC resident accepted to these three schools and am wondering to those who interviewed/accepted/attend any of them whether they could give me some perspective for making my decision. I was offered pretty much a full ride at Wake, in-state tuition at Miami, and still no news regarding financial aid at UNC. Finances weigh a lot but I just wanted to see if anyone might have some good advice?

I'd go with the full ride at Wake... It seems like not having to consider your overall loan debt when selecting a specialty would at least be a small perk. Plus, Winston-Salem would be a cool city to go to med school in.

Instate tuition isn't that bad, so I wouldn't blame you for choosing UNC or Miami if you really liked the program... although I'd imagine the cost of living at Miami may be a little higher than in Chapel Hill.

Best of luck next year regardless of where you end up :thumbup:

By full-ride, do you mean tuition or your entire costs? If it's the former, I'd go to UNC - isn't UNC's tuition really low for IS students?

Members don't see this ad :)
The "full ride" is full tuition and basically only $8500 to take out in loans. And yes, IS students is a hella lot cheaper. I really like all three schools but I would say Wake probably ranks 3rd of the 3. Just wondering if there are others out there turning down money to go to their favorite school.

Definitely a tough choice but heres my 2 cents.

You have some pretty amazing opportunities on the table. The ability to get a near full-ride at Wake and receive in-state tuition at Miami are not too common and are huge accomplishments, congratulations on that.

I think Wake Forest is a great school and you would be receiving a private school education for a vastly reduced price. You would be coming out of medical school into your residency of choice and would be way below the national average for debt (which in this economy is starting to become a factor for many prospective doctors). The city of Winston Salem is developing very quickly, especially its downtown business sectors, and is becoming a very cool place for young professionals to live.

Miami - This is also an amazing opportunity. As a NC resident, you have the ability to see a different part of the country for the price of an in-state school. Miami is an OUTSTANDING place to study medicine, and the diversity and excitement of a very cultural, urban community would make your medical education more unique. I personally love to travel and would jump at this opportunity I think; I have heard nothing but great things about Miami and its a way to 'Get out there' in the world for 4 years while you study.

UNC- It's a great school as well, there's no doubt about that. You will receive in-state tuition here and will be in your home state. It, however, doesn't sound like you received any 'above the norm' offers or opportunities in this regard. UNC provides an outstanding education for primary care as well as others and the Triangle is a beautiful place to live.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong. But my personal opinion/what I would do is to take one of the truly unique opportunities placed infront of you by Wake and Miami. You're gonna make friends wherever you go and obviously, these schools REALLY want you. You've got 4 great years ahead, I think I go with the challenging and diverse option, whatever school that feels like to you. Let me know what you think of my advice and congratulations either way!

Last edited:
Do you like basketball? Go to UNC.
Do you like football? Go to Miami.
If you don't like sports, go to Wake.;):p

I finally made my decision. These suggestions were really helpful and I think everything worked out in the end. I decided to go to UNC but primarily because they just offered some scholarship money that made it enough of a financial incentive to support that it was already my top choice if money wasn't considered. Thank you guys for your suggestions and allowing me to get a good look at each school without any of my own personal bias. It definitely helped me make a well-informed decision! Go Heels!

I'm jealous, but congratulations!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.