UNC in state vs Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions? Right now I'm leaning towards Duke because I'm not sure what field I want to go in, and they had great matches in specialties. Also, Duke has great financial aid packages with the whole third year scholarship thing. I know UNC is a great school and I'm just hoping I'm not being to haste. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be a bonehead -- the clear decision here is duke. you can live in chapel hill if you want!

Not that this should necessarily factor into your decision, but just out of curiosity how much cheaper would it be for you to go to UNC? After all, Duke DOES typically offer pretty great packages!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure, still waiting on the financial aid package from Duke, but UNC is only around seven grand a year. Like I said before, I'm pretty set on Duke, but I just want to make sure after I saw people reccomending someone to go to UNC over Pritzker.

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to get some opinions. I haven't yet gotten into Duke (non-rolling) so this is hypothetical, but I was just curious about whether the price difference between Duke and UNC was worth the difference in education (or how much price difference there actually is after scholarships).

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to get some opinions. I haven't yet gotten into Duke (non-rolling) so this is hypothetical, but I was just curious about whether the price difference between Duke and UNC was worth the difference in education (or how much price difference there actually is after scholarships).

Hey, props to you for not feeling the need to start a new thread!

And, man, if I were you I'd go to UNC and never look back. However, if you think you're interested in academic medicine or have your heart set on going into some hotshot residency, Duke might be worth it.

I'd pick UNC any day, but I'm biased :)
I love everything about Chapel Hill--the town and campus are amazing.

hey, props to you for not feeling the need to start a new thread!

And, man, if i were you i'd go to unc and never look back. However, if you think you're interested in academic medicine or have your heart set on going into some hotshot residency, duke might be worth it.

+1

I was in this same situation a number of years ago. Ultimately, I chose to attend UNC because I didn't think the overall "quality of education" outweighed the difference in price. I think this is an important consideration, especially if you are thinking about entering a primary care field or have a few more years under your belt. The Duke name may carry you a little further in some circles, but at what price? If you do well at UNC (Honors, AOA, research, etc) you will find that all of the doors remain open.

Looking back now, I have no regrets. UNC is a fantastic place. I worked hard, did well, and thus received interviews at all of the top academic internal medicine programs (I also met my wife here). I enjoyed being at an institution with stated mission of service to the people of North Carolina.

The one caveat to this discussion is the fact that the curriculum is very different at the two schools. Obviously, UNC is a little more traditional, while Duke has the condensed pre-clinical first year and research time in the third year. I really liked the Duke system and thought I would do well there. Ultimately, however, I ended up taking time off at UNC to pursue an MPH, which about 25% of the class does each year, so I don't feel that I missed out...it just took an extra year.

Thanks for the responses. Honestly, I didn't even look at the dates when I posted, hehe - I just searched for the thread.

Anyone that picked Duke over Carolina in the past have any feedback? Has anyone made a decision one way or the other and regretted it later?

Status
Not open for further replies.