Ugh...advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Chicago >>> Philadelphia

Members don't see this ad.

i believe we'd be taking classes with the med students (not sure if all classes are like that) but grades are definitely curved based on med student performances. so in that respect, it doesn't really matter how you do against your post-bac peers

I see. From experience you usually take all your classes with the med students or you take them all separately. Idk what the program you're looking at does, but if you take some with the med students, you probably take all your classes with them (other than maybe a random seminar or something). Either way the point still stands, if you can't maintain a 3.5 (which is not easy for many people to do in medical school) then you may be screwed. I'd still take the sure thing, but that's just me.

i believe we'd be taking classes with the med students (not sure if all classes are like that) but grades are definitely curved based on med student performances. so in that respect, it doesn't really matter how you do against your post-bac peers
You do not take classes with med students at Temple's program. They are graduate level courses taught by faculty at the medical school. Not easy, but definitely better than being on a curve with med students

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not take classes with med students at Temple's program. They are graduate level courses taught by faculty at the medical school. Not easy, but definitely better than being on a curve with med students

Hm okay. Better I suppose. I've actually heard from those that did post-bac programs that if you went to a "tough undergrad", it's not much of a transition.

Last edited:
I guess one way to think of it is that in both sitatuoons you'll have to bust your tail off. But ultimately, the MD path will give you higher returns for busting your tail off since the do path can be difficult for acgme match.

Reactions: 1 users
it's true that i haven't seen a lot. but obviously you give a damn since you're replying to my post

Don't mistake me putting your arrogance in-check on a public message board for me giving a damn about your personal misguided and uninformed opinion.

but i have seen enough to be able to tell who the good residents are and who are the ones that struggle. no one gets into medical school without a little arrogance. but i'm in medical school to learn. if you're an intern and you don't understand the material as well as i do as a third year medical student, there's a huge problem.

What I love about third years is that many of them think they understand the material because they can recite facts they've been forced to memorize for Step 1, not because they actually have a handle on the material.

Don't mistake me putting your arrogance in-check on a public message board for me giving a damn about your personal misguided and uninformed opinion.

What I love about third years is that many of them think they understand the material because they can recite facts they've been forced to memorize for Step 1, not because they actually have a handle on the material.

bro your insecurity is showing

I'm more confused by all the posters who think it's really hard to tell who is a ****ty resident or attending and who isn't. It's not rocket science guys.

I'm more confused by all the posters who think it's really hard to tell who is a ****ty resident or attending and who isn't. It's not rocket science guys.

Seriously. Just look for the "DO" after their last name.

This isn't difficult.

Reactions: 2 users
you didn't even take step 1, why you talking smack about it broseidon
it's way more than just memorization which you would know if you took it

Brush up on your reading comprehension skills. No one talked "smack" about it. The "smack" was about you.

It's like Psai's satire has gone so far it's made a complete loop back to just normal douchiness.

Reactions: 2 users
I really didn't know which forum to post this one so if moderators wish to move it to another forum, that's fine.

I've known for quite a while that I will be going to a DO school in the fall. But this cycle I also applied to MD schools as well as a post-bac with direct linkage to an MD school. I didn't get into any MD school but got into my DO school of choice and am very content. However, I recently interviewed for the post-bac program and earlier this week was accepted. Basically I would do a 1 year post-bac and then assuming I get at least a 30 on the MCAT and keep a 3.5 GPA in the program, I would automatically matriculate into the med school class the following year (allopathic school).

Mentally I'm ready to start medical school this fall and don't really want to delay the process one more year. I would also be forfeiting one year of physician salary if I go into the post-bac program (and taking on more debt). It would also be somewhat of a risk because I do need to maintain certain academics in order to matriculate into the medical school. I'm also a pretty big fan of the geographical area that my DO school is in. So all these reasons tell me to just go ahead and start medical school this fall and forget about the post-bac program. But I'm also realizing that I may be in a better position when it comes to applying for residencies if I end up at an allopathic school. Sorry for bringing up a topic that has been beaten to death, but I think my situation is kind of specific, so any advice is appreciated. I'm trying to make this decision soon because I'm going on a long vacation and don't want it hanging over my head. Thanks.
What did you end up deciding on OP?

To the op: A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Me, I would go with the acceptance you have, rather than risking a year of hard work/debt and no acceptance. You didn't get into a MD school this cycle (for whatever reason), I wouldn't risk a DO acceptance on the hope that the MD non-acceptance will change. *Especially* since you are happy with the locale of the DO school. To me, this is a no-brainer. If you are a hard worker, then most likely you will ultimately end up with the speciality that you want....and if you don't, I have my doubts if that would have changed just because you had a MD degree over a DO degree.

Reactions: 1 user