the single life...ugh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I guess I'll have to make that jusgement call. Tough since she's so intertwined with my college friend network. We'll see.

Members don't see this ad.

1342743150781_371680.png

Ima just leave this here...

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Yeah and when you finally get into your first relationship, it will be your first, which by and far, usually crashes and burns especially when you inevitably start wondering why the honeymoon period stopped (cuz you don't know about honeymoon period lel)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea this probably isn't the best time to be having these thoughts and revelations. Believe me if I could I'd flip a switch and shut them off I would. The Indian events thing was just one example. Believe me I'm open to everybody lol. I appreciate what you are trying to do but the not the best time mentality is how I deluded myself thus far. There's no way around the hours that are gonna be put in the books but when I do have some free time I'm gonna have to put myself out there (things like grad mixers etc). How else can one learn? Only some failure leads to success.

i think what happened in college was 1) I initially felt out of place. Here I was the guy who always had to make sure I had enough money in my bank account to buy small stuff like coffee while so many I knew didn't even know how to contact the FinAid office...2) I developed a lot of good friends but I also felt that external and internal pressure to be the best and I stopped caring about this human need and I neglected my weight/appearance to some extent

I do have quite a few female friends. I'm terms of conversation I think I'm done but I never really got around to saying Hey wanna grab a meal or study together because I felt so self conscious about weight/appearance. So frankly I think part of me needs to be a little bold if an opportunity presents itself.

Frankly I got so confused recently. One female friend I have, we met up as a group and when we were having dinner she repeatedly rubbed her foot up and down my calf. At first she just giggled and laughed and then did it twice more. Then she said oh we are just flirting over here when another friend asked what was going on. Same night I helped her as she was slipping on something and she was like awww that was so gentlemanly. Last month we all visited our alma mater and on the plane she said to another friend oh why didn't you dress nicely like 2019mdtobe. Every couple of days we will text each other for a while. Honestly I'm a bit confused, and I also don't want to mess up one of my core friend groups from college. Not to mention timing is terrible.

If I,could have sowed my oats a bit this summer that would have been great but I'm living at home (saved up some dough during gap year) in a a smallish town but I am trying to see my college friends as often as I can.
You literally missed all of the signals. And who cares if you mess things up? There's always going to be more people out there. It'll work or it won't, but you'll always hate yourself for not giving it a shot.
nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Newcomer here, but frequent SDN visitor. Also a single 28yo M Indian American (MS-4)...In retrospect, delaying relationship/marriage is now probably one of my biggest regrets. Being single and commitment-free works for a lot of people, but those individuals generally tend to be comfortable reaching out socially and have a good support system in place. If you tend to be more introverted like I am and far away from family or close friends, I would imagine having a significant other would let you turn off "med school mode" when you get home and treat it more like a job (and probably help provide some structure/purpose as well). Not to mention, it is probably way more financially advantageous especially if you have a working spouse (start paying off loans, share living costs, etc). Lastly, I think it would have been much easier to allocate the time to start a meaningful relationship towards the beginning of med school rather than the end or residency years. My 0.02

Reactions: 1 users
Yea I guess I'll have to make that jusgement call. Tough since she's so intertwined with my college friend network. We'll see.
Probably missed your chance. Or ask her out. Or ask your friends about it.
Or date her and if it doesn't work, give her some versed. Retrograde amnesia ftw. Not really.

Also, when people ask what I do, I tell them I'm unemployed. It gets the best response.

Are you perhaps trying to convince me that upholding a relationship doesn't require an input of time? Because any other interjections are irrelevant to the discussion at hand. You can believe me or not. I don't particularly care.

Don't hurt his feeling. The substantial relationship advice he gave was based on anime.

No, it's based off an ability to perform an objective analysis of the current relationship circumstances without personally vested interest from previous relationship bias. What does anime have to do with anything?

Whoa dude chill out. Being single isn't as bad as you think it is. Like you, I've been single my entire life, not to mention I haven't kissed anyone or even held hands before. But that doesn't bother me because I live life at my own pace. I find relationships to be severely tasking on my ability to enjoy all that life has to offer in terms of entertainment (those games won't play themselves and languages won't learn themselves either). I suggest finding a hobby that you love doing. I'm having trouble finding time for my current interests right now, and getting into a relationship is the last thing I'd want to do.

Making "the most of it" doesn't automatically entail the necessity of a relationship. The ultimate point is to find the "right one", so there's no need to feel hurried into a relationship that you don't want to be in just for the experience of being in one. Eventually I might settle down and stuff, but even if that "right one" never comes in my life I'd be cool with the eternal single life bolstered by a physician's salary. I'd be able to build that backyard amphitheater that I always dreamed of watching anime in, which otherwise would have warranted a big whack on the side of my head for wayward priorities.

And you have the added bonus that you're Indian. 10 years down the line when you're besieged by multiple Indian girls and their parents parked outside your house, you're going to look back on your current self and realize how silly you're being.
See, OP? Things could be way worse..

Reactions: 4 users
Are you perhaps trying to convince me that upholding a relationship doesn't require an input of time? Because any other interjections are irrelevant to the discussion at hand. You can believe me or not. I don't particularly care.
pretty sure they were confused because you said you have never been in a relationship, yet then said that relationships take up too much of your time.
No, it's based off an ability to perform an objective analysis of the current relationship circumstances without personally vested interest from previous relationship bias. What does anime have to do with anything?
hey I'm with ya, it's the same reason that when I'm sick I go ask my sister what I should do. I mean sure, she's an elementary school teacher, but I think she gives the best medical advice because she doesn't have the horrible bias that actual experience brings.

Same reason I get all my interior decorating advice from my blind friends, and always have my vegan friend cook my steaks.

I think I'm gonna have to be careful. She's part of my close college crew and I would hate for any awkwardness between us to spill over into the rest of my relationships with my friends. I do believe I'm going to meet up with her and some other friends a few times over the summer and if she keeps it up I've gotta be a little bolder than I have been and just ask her.

Or try simply being honest -- "I really enjoy your company and don't want things to get awkward --But do you think maybe we might be able to be more than friends?" She really was going out on a limb and giving you all sorts of signals. If she says "No" just tell her her behavior the other day surprised you and made you wonder -- but no harm, no foul. Simple, direct, honest. (And recoverable if it goes south.)

Reactions: 4 users
Or try simply being honest -- "I really enjoy your company and don't want things to get awkward --But do you think maybe we might be able to be more than friends?" She really was going out on a limb and giving you all sorts of signals. If she says "No" just tell her her behavior the other day surprised you and made you wonder -- but no harm, no foul. Simple, direct, honest. (And recoverable if it goes south.)

That doesn't sound fun at all.

Here are some of my suggestions:

(1) Take pictures of your... well, you know... and then print them off and stick them in her mailbox. When she asks you why you did that, say, "I was going to text them to you, but I'm kind of old fashioned."

(2) Make frequent comments about how hard it is to learn to do a pelvic exam, and how much easier it would be if you had someone to practice on.

(3) Start carrying around a large teddy bear that has her name prominently printed on it. When she asks you if it's a gift for her, tell her no, you just like holding it.

(4) Invite her to lunch at a really nice, upscale place. Midway through the meal, get up, walk over to another table, and beat the living crap out of some guy you've never met. Tell her that the guy looked at her funny.

(5) Cut off your ear, and give it to her for her birthday. Hey, it worked once.

(6) Next time you see her, randomly pull out a lighter and light your sleeve on fire. Look her straight in the eye (while you're on fire) and say, "I burn for you." Bonus points if you have time to say, "So, do you think I look hot today?"

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
(6) Next time you see her, randomly pull out a lighter and light your sleeve on fire. Look her straight in the eye (while you're on fire) and say, "I burn for you." Bonus points if you have time to say, "So, do you think I look hot today?"

This is like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze but the opposite

This is how I got my first girlfriend when I was 12. She was the one who asked me about the whole "more than friends" thing though. Sometimes girls will be flirty though and when you respond, they will act all surprised and be like oh I'm sorry for leading you on, I'm not interested in a relationship right now blah blah blah. It's bs, just attention seeking. Hard to tell from a guy's perspective though

Incoming 23 y/o indian american MS1 who has been single for forever. I should have busted a move back in HS and college but I told myself "Hit the books, worry about all that later". Back in HS and college I was also pretty d*mn fat and combine that with my height (5ft 4)....I wasn't going to be getting any anyway. I didn't have much (in terms of family income) growing up and was just grateful to have the chance to attend a great undergrad. I wanted to make the most of it and like a clown told myself there would be time for relationships later.

Thankfully, over the past gap year since graduation, I've lost almost all that weight, have been putting on some muscle, and have been updating my clothes (kinda necessary because all the old stuff doesn't fit anyway). I'm determined to be more social come fall and hopefully someone (classmates, undergrads, someone in the area) might click. Yet I do feel, and am, painfully inexperienced. I'm a pretty funny guy (short & fat for quite a while= good at jokes), am alright in terms of looks besides my height (you are a cruel master genetics). I'm also feeling a bit more confident about myself in general considering my weight loss and that I was able to go from a solid undergrad to a solid med school. I.e. it feels good to be somewhat accomplished (I'm not a physician yet of course but I feel I have achieved something, even if it's small) Have any students found themselves in a similar situation? I feel I've gotta change it up. This is a long road and I can't keep delaying this part of life forever. Your thoughts, mockery, advice, tips, suggestions, etc all welcome.

note: I made a similar thread in spouses and partners but this is a bit different as I'm trying to ask my soon to be fellow classmates. I don't

Talk to girls. Ask them out. Don't be a douche.

/thread

Reactions: 5 users
Newcomer here, but frequent SDN visitor. Also a single 28yo M Indian American (MS-4)...In retrospect, delaying relationship/marriage is now probably one of my biggest regrets. Being single and commitment-free works for a lot of people, but those individuals generally tend to be comfortable reaching out socially and have a good support system in place. If you tend to be more introverted like I am and far away from family or close friends, I would imagine having a significant other would let you turn off "med school mode" when you get home and treat it more like a job (and probably help provide some structure/purpose as well). Not to mention, it is probably way more financially advantageous especially if you have a working spouse (start paying off loans, share living costs, etc). Lastly, I think it would have been much easier to allocate the time to start a meaningful relationship towards the beginning of med school rather than the end or residency years. My 0.02

I think it would be pretty difficult to manage starting a relationship when youve never been in one before, starting med school, and living in a place far from family or friends.

Reactions: 1 user
This is how I got my first girlfriend when I was 12. She was the one who asked me about the whole "more than friends" thing though. Sometimes girls will be flirty though and when you respond, they will act all surprised and be like oh I'm sorry for leading you on, I'm not interested in a relationship right now blah blah blah. It's bs, just attention seeking. Hard to tell from a guy's perspective though

You're right about that. Sometimes just blatant attention-seeking. But if it was, then she needs to own that and realize that she was messing with a friend's head/heart. @2019mdtobe -- Is she way-out-of-your-league- hot? Those girls tend to be the most frequent shameless attention hussies.

Honestly, medical school relationships are pretty inefficient and after a year of medical school, I know I certainly wouldn't enjoy one! I went in thinking I'd find someone, but definitely approached it wrong and hence am still single. In retrospect though, I think being single presents the unique opportunity of self improvement. If you're single, you have time to go to the gym, dedicate all the time in the world to studying, and still have time to chill with friends. That's really what M1 should be about if you're a guy. Not trying to invest in a romance that will likelt fail. Plus, if you're going to end up in a succesful relationsip, you're going to do it by being yourself, not trying to impress anybody. This all being said, I'm not saying being single is the best option, as being in a relationship with someone outside your medical school is probably best case.

You're still pretty young and I know you said this to yourself in college, but keep it up with that self improvement. As people said, you will find someone. You're a future physician and you're Indian. The question is not if but when you will find someone whether it be on your own or through an arranged situation (which IMO is nothing to be ashamed of). You better focus on improving yourself now so when that moment arises, you're ready to be part of a long term relationship with whomever that lucky girl may be.

When you start your M1:

Do:

-Try your very best to be excellent in your classes. If you're going to a traditional school, the **** storm starts ASAP with anatomy so no, it's not easier at the beginning.
-Hit the gym.
-Dress well and groom well for yourself...you're in professional school.
-Make friends you can rely on first. I've never seen anyone get a gf before they have a great group of friends anyways.

Don't:

-Ask any girls out first semester unless they're being really obvious with it.
-Look for a girlfriend. Even though guys do the asking out, it's usually the girl who finds the guy
-Sacrifice your well being or grades for one girl.
-AND most importantly, don't act desperate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

It's amusing to watch someone try to give advice about relationships when they do not have any personal experience with them. OP was talking about being inexperienced and wanting to be more social, and your advice was not to jump into anything just to experience it.

OP - I think you should do the exact opposite. Jump at every chance you get. They probably won't be as obvious as the gift you described, but you need some confidence, experiences and interactions, both good and bad, so you can learn about yourself. Take risks and have fun (but don't store condoms in your wallet). You won't want to be saying these same things 5-10 years from now, still without any attempts. Also, make sure you do bench, curls, abs & calf raises at least 3-4x/wk.

@Backtothebasics8 ... Can I ask what you feel you could have done differently? Yeah your do's and don'ts seem pretty spot on. It's just frustrating cuz for the first time I'm liking the person I see everyday in the mirror and now I'm entering this academic meatgrinder. I'm going to have to hustle and be time efficient while making the time to go to social events. Yeah I'm going to be a doc, I'm indian, I ain't bad looking, gotta keep my head up. Something's bound to work out if I put myself out there (crosses fingers and does lucky dance). Thanks big guy.

@DokterMom No I wouldn't say she's out of my league. Again, we'll meet up in person I think a few times over summer and if I can ger her alone, worth giving it a shot. After all, my college buddie network is strong but frankly spread out. How bad can she mess it up. Yea she was like "oh haha accident"...then 2 more times.... also said "Oh we're just having a nice flirty time over here". Christ if I could have just talked to her alone and in person that would have been great. I'm a dumba**. Live and learn. Honestly that was the first time in a long time I'd gotten that type of attention. Felt good but was caught off guard. Won't be next time, whoever it is.

@pd1112 Yea I think you are exactly right. It's well past time to break out of my comfort zone. I'm gonna need to start off with a place like undergrad heavy party or organization (where you see some grad students) or some non-med school social events (grad mixers, conferences, whatever). I don't want to burn bridges early with any female classmates (if any are even available). I'm sure as a class we'll hit up the bars (frankly I just love drinking so much at bars that sometimes I just forget about everything else) and I'll try to keep an eye out there too (although I have a feeling I'll be best served in a setting where we have something in common to talk about initially like some of the aforementioned events).

@md4dawin As a fellow traveler can I ask what's your thinking going forward?

@fancymylotus @Kaustikos ....I get what you good folks are saying. I'm here to get an MD. But hell that's what I told myself a couple of weeks in at my tough as nails undergrad. "I'm drownin in academics...just keep paddling the lifeboat till you make it to shore". Anatomy's up first so its not going to be easy but I've gotta take some risk.

@zeppelinpage4 Thanks for your thought out response yesterday. Yea it was just a struggle to lose the lbs & and get into a med school (which I feel I should generally be happy at, it appears to be very different from my undergrad). I'm relieved that part of my life is over (gotta keep those lbs off). But yea I will have to put myself out there. Start slow, be social, see if anyone might be interested, go from there.

Just want to say even if you nice folks don't respond or anything...You've been helpful. It's given me some hope, some stuff to chew over. We'll see where this journey leads. SDN can be a cruel place sometimes. It feels good to be surprised.

(1) Take pictures of your... well, you know... and then print them off and stick them in her mailbox. When she asks you why you did that, say, "I was going to text them to you, but I'm kind of old fashioned."

(2) Make frequent comments about how hard it is to learn to do a pelvic exam, and how much easier it would be if you had someone to practice on.

(3) Start carrying around a large teddy bear that has her name prominently printed on it. When she asks you if it's a gift for her, tell her no, you just like holding it.

(4) Invite her to lunch at a really nice, upscale place. Midway through the meal, get up, walk over to another table, and beat the living crap out of some guy you've never met. Tell her that the guy looked at her funny.

Best post in this thread. Only because I'd seriously love to try these or see someone doing this.
Damn it, someone needs to do these things because of how funny they are.

OP, continue to work as hard in med school as you did in high school and college. graduate, get through residency, get yourself a trophy wife. end of story.

@yanks26dmb ... honestly that's the plan. I'll get something arranged. Only in that market does the MD enhance you. With my height, it's very tough in the traditional dating scene.

@yanks26dmb ... honestly that's the plan. I'll get something arranged. Only in that market does the MD enhance you. With my height, it's very tough in the traditional dating scene.

I was being somewhat tounge-in-cheek.....but i'll you what is serious business - pre-nup!

I think you're overestimating how much your future MD is going to help you in the arranged marriage (meat) market. Indian physicians aren't exactly the most unique things out there....I remember my ***** ex's parents were so all about their sons DMD and how amazing it was....and my parents were pretty much like "yeah that doesn't matter much bc she 1)has one of her own and 2)you're still a horrible person"

Maybe you'll meet people in the place your school is, that aren't in school too though?

Reactions: 2 users
@fancymylotus I'm not necessarily looking for another MD/DMD. We'll see. I have to play the cards I've got which are a good face and my education. I'm very open to a match from outside the states as well. It's not meeting people, its what comes next. For a short Indian dude, its kinda tough out here. For short dudes in general, it's tough out here.

Just gonna leave this here:

Last edited:
^drawbacks to all things. I just meant to say i could get something arranged to a nice, warm, attractive person..which may not be the worst thing for someone in my situation. Didn't mean to say she was gonna be a "trophy" and a Bollywood star (I'm not comfy with the word either).

I think it would be pretty difficult to manage starting a relationship when youve never been in one before, starting med school, and living in a place far from family or friends.

Difficult but probably easier than, say MS-3 or residency, practically speaking. Still, I agree with what @Backtothebasics8 said above, and OP should heed that advice. To clarify my post above, I would rather have had a healthy, long-term relationship or marriage already established by med school rather than remain single/commitment-free.

@fancymylotus I'm not necessarily looking for another MD/DMD. We'll see. I have to play the cards I've got which are a good face and my education. I'm very open to a match from outside the states as well. It's not meeting people, its what comes next. For a short Indian dude, its kinda tough out here. For short dudes in general, it's tough out here.

Just gonna leave this here:

haha.. I'm 5'8" and am definitely pretty short. sure wouldn't mind being taller haha (little self conscious about it but maybe just cuz most dude friends are taller than me)..

Mannn I just want to get my penis touched. :lame:

Is this thres making anyone else like... o_O

I'm 5'6" and had some "fun" with a female counterpart the other night. Confidence my friends will carry you miles.

...and the lowering of standards.

Fellow manlet checking in at 5'8". I've never had any issues in the dating game, provided my standards were adjusted adequately. Attracting the 8 or 9/10's on looks alone is nearly impossible, but I have dated a couple of 8s because I have big muscles and could make them laugh. They weren't all that special once the mystery faded. I hang out with a lot of tall guys. They get approached by random women every time we go out. It's pretty amazing to see the other side of things. Girls can be really persistent and downright creepy too.

...and the lowering of standards.

Fellow manlet checking in at 5'8". I've never had any issues in the dating game, provided my standards were adjusted adequately. Attracting the 8 or 9/10's on looks alone is nearly impossible, but I have dated a couple of 8s because I have big muscles and could make them laugh. They weren't all that special once the mystery faded. I hang out with a lot of tall guys. They get approached by random women every time we go out. It's pretty amazing to see the other side of things. Girls can be really persistent and downright creepy too.

damn i didn't even know that this was a thing

how much do you bench?

At last somebody started to ask the important questions.

Whoa dude chill out. Being single isn't as bad as you think it is. Like you, I've been single my entire life, not to mention I haven't kissed anyone or even held hands before. But that doesn't bother me because I live life at my own pace. I find relationships to be severely tasking on my ability to enjoy all that life has to offer in terms of entertainment (those games won't play themselves and languages won't learn themselves either). I suggest finding a hobby that you love doing. I'm having trouble finding time for my current interests right now, and getting into a relationship is the last thing I'd want to do.

Is this really a healthy attitude to have? I mean I love playing video games and learning languages as much as the next guy but why does it does it have to come at the expense of having a girlfriend?

How old are you btw? I'm 27 and sort of in a similar position as you. I've never kissed a woman or had sex but I did dance with a few girls at a party a few years back which ironically makes me more experienced that you. The difference though is that I want it to change.

Last edited:

What the hell did I just read?

I think you're overestimating how much your future MD is going to help you in the arranged marriage (meat) market. Indian physicians aren't exactly the most unique things out there....I remember my ***** ex's parents were so all about their sons DMD and how amazing it was....and my parents were pretty much like "yeah that doesn't matter much bc she 1)has one of her own and 2)you're still a horrible person"

Maybe you'll meet people in the place your school is, that aren't in school too though?

Though I admire your parents reaction I don't they necessarily represent all Desi's. There are more than enough Desi's who will ignore practically anything if the guy has an MD.

Hey man don't judge. It sucks but I'm living with it.

Last edited:

Oh no God forbid you reach the age of 20 (!) without getting laid. I was 23 when I both got my first kiss and lost my v-card. Being a virgin doesn't make you a loser or weird. People build different skills at different times. Get over it.

Agreed. Part of being in a few relationships is figuring out how you fit in and what you want out of it for yourself. OP is a huge risk of being clingy, desperate, people-pleaser whom his gf might take advantage and can stomp all over.

Oh no God forbid you reach the age of 20 (!) without getting laid. I was 23 when I both got my first kiss and lost my v-card. Being a virgin doesn't make you a loser or weird. People build different skills at different times. Get over it.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.