UCSD vs Univ of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD or Univ of Michigan

• UCSD

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • UMich

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajj377

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads asking about UMich and UCSD but none that compare the two. Since the May 15 deadline is coming up really soon, I thought I'd ask this last minute question on SDN.

I'm a CA resident, so UCSD will be much cheaper for me (about 15K a year less). I didn't receive scholarships at either school. At this point, I'm leaning towards UCSD because it will be cheaper and I'd like to live in Cali. But, I like UMich more. And the rumors about UCSD being competitive and a hard school scare me a little! :p So, which school would you go to and why? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm the type of person who is affected alot by surroundings. I have been to Michigan and Cali, and I would choose UCSD over mich any old day. Not to mention, being closer to family and the price - - - being less constrained by money after graduating is a huge consideration. Plus, they are both great schools. Good luck wherever you end up!

Hands down UCSD.. there's no question here. You'll save a metric ****-ton of money, you'll receive an amazing education (if not better than what you could get at michigan), and have plenty of opportunities to pursue research/clinical extracurriculars. Not to mention that San Diego flat out has the best weather in all of the US. I'll see you here in a few months.

(bias: went to UCSD for undergrad and heading there for medical school)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the type of person who is affected alot by surroundings. I have been to Michigan and Cali, and I would choose UCSD over mich any old day. Not to mention, being closer to family and the price - - - being less constrained by money after graduating is a huge consideration. Plus, they are both great schools. Good luck wherever you end up!
Absolutely agree! That's the exact reasons why I'm leaning towards UCSD at this point. Thanks!

Hands down UCSD.. there's no question here. You'll save a metric ****-ton of money, you'll receive an amazing education (if not better than what you could get at michigan), and have plenty of opportunities to pursue research/clinical extracurriculars. Not to mention that San Diego flat out has the best weather in all of the US. I'll see you here in a few months.

(bias: went to UCSD for undergrad and heading there for medical school)
Research at UCSD is great! Clinical opportunities are amazing! No doubt about that. The only thing that really worries me is how many people have said that UCSD students are worked hard. That 3rd year is ridiculously difficult. That the students are competitive. That many students are stressed and unhappy. I don't know how many of those rumors are true. And I wouldn't mind working hard for 4 years...but medical school is hard wherever you go, and I'd rather not be overworked. :scared: And, hell, maybe all of those rumors aren't at all true!

Absolutely agree! That's the exact reasons why I'm leaning towards UCSD at this point. Thanks!

Research at UCSD is great! Clinical opportunities are amazing! No doubt about that. The only thing that really worries me is how many people have said that UCSD students are worked hard. That 3rd year is ridiculously difficult. That the students are competitive. That many students are stressed and unhappy. I don't know how many of those rumors are true. And I wouldn't mind working hard for 4 years...but medical school is hard wherever you go, and I'd rather not be overworked. :scared: And, hell, maybe all of those rumors aren't at all true!

If those rumors are true, I would go with UMich. UM is an extremely friendly and non-stressful environment. There are a lot of great research opportunities here (especially since UMMS recently bought the old Pfizer campus in Ann Arbor).

However, I initially voted UCSD in your poll b/c of the price in-state, and I admit, the weather and La Jolla are pluses too. If there's any way to find out if UCSD is as hyper-competitive as people say it is within the next three days, I'd do that. Go with your gut, but you can't go wrong either way.

Both UCSD and UMMS are very similar, so I don't think you can go wrong either way. I think the weather and the cost of UCSD should swing it that way, but Michigan is a more reputable name for residencies everywhere east of the Mississippi by a small, but not insignificant margin. On the flip side, if you're planning to stay in CA in the future, UCSD definitely has an advantage.

As for the rumors, I'm sure there are MS1's at UCSD that are better equipped to answer it, but they seem to be based on ancient experiences and the undergrads on campus more than anything that current students deal with. The students are very much like the ones you'll find at Michigan and it seems like a very collegial atmosphere that embraces the idea of having fun rather than being competitive zombies. Both programs will work you hard during clinical years though. Michigan has a reputation for giving medical students a lot of responsibilities and autonomy and UCSD has a well structured and very rigorous training program. Either way, it's going to be a tough year and a half, but I wouldn't let that stop you from making the right choice.

Ultimately, the choice comes down to sunshine versus football (and hockey). Or money.

Both institutions have a high repuation for medical excellence. While it maybe true that going to UCSD may help in landing a residency in Cali, Michigan will not hold you back from getting a residency in Cali as well. Many from Michigan that do decide to comeback to cali for residency end up at great residencies like UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford. But both are very good schools! Go where your gut feeling pulls you. The price difference is not as large as you think either because of the difference in cost of living. UCSD averaged a total of 57 thousand a year and michigan total average about 64 thousand. extra 7 thousand a year for somewhere you like better is worth it, I think.

Just about every single rumor you have heard about UCSD students being overworked, super stressed out, and unhappy are pretty much false. Once Dean Kelly entered the picture, the scene at UCSD med pulled a complete 180. At my interview and second look all the UCSD students were just as happy as the students I met at Michigan (if you can actually "quantify" happiness..). In fact I think the curriculum would be slightly more laid back for the first two years at UCSD.. hear me out:

At Michigan you have a test every week, and according to some kids there, that really just puts an extra amount of stress on your back. It is mitigated, however, by the fact that you can take it whenever you want within a certain time frame. Again I don't remember the fine details, but this is basically how it works.

At UCSD, you have a ton of lecture time, but only a very small percentage of the class actually shows up. To me, this means I actually will spend less time in class and have more time to myself, provided I get some serious studying done in lieu of that class time. The problem here is that it's not P/F like michigan is, which I can imagine would add to stress here at UCSD.

As for third year being hilariously difficult.. I think this is still the case. Silverlining if you are reading this please correct me if I am wrong. However, I see this as a really great thing because every california residency director knows that UCSD kids are bulletproof. They can throw down in the clinic, and I have even heard from people that they're preferred over kids from other highly ranked state schools simply because they are much more clinically competent. That sounds appealing to me and frankly I don't really want to coast through my rotations. However this is just my opinion.

Either way, you can't go wrong with both schools, but given your situation, I think you are best suited for UCSD, and UCSD is best suited for you.

edit: that curriculum/grading issue is also why I think UCSD kids absolutely CLEAN UP on the boards. They just rape them. I exhibit certain gunnerish characteristics and I know that I will be grabbing for honors at any point I can. Personally, I think this really helps with preparing you for the boards. Also keep in mind that UCSD does anatomy in the second year, which is a whole new issue on its own. Many people will tell you this is a great thing, and many will tell you is absolutely worthless and a terrible way to set up a medical curriculum.

edit2: and yea as somebody said above and like I echoed, california residency directors know how awesome UCSD is. If you are really serious about nailing a california residency (like I am), then I think the ability to connect/network with those people in your third and fourth year, in addition to UCSD's california rep, will put you where you want to be.

Alright I promise, that was the last edit.

Last edited:
Just met a General surgery resident from UMich in UCLA's hospital, she was saying great things about it. I know people who go to UCSD, It's tough, 8 hours of lecture, sort of competitive, but great location which they don't get to use much, so it might not even matter. It's hard decision. Go by the choice that would benefit you most, don't think about other stuffs, it will be only 4 years.

I'm finishing up my first year at UCSD and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents...

In regards to the "hyper-competitiveness":
The UCSD admissions committee does not somehow manage to accept and recruit only hyper-competitive students. We're the same as the students at every other medical school. What that means is that some people are super-competitive, others not so much. UMich will have the same mix. And although we're not strictly P/F, we're not on a graded system either. It's P/F for the first quarter, and then H/P/F for the next five quarters of the pre-clinical years. As for other schools which are "purely" P/F, they also have AOA, which gives students incentive to out-do their peers. UCSD is one of the only schools that does not have AOA. Bottom line, I don't feel like UCSD students are any more competitive than students at any other top med school.

In regards to the "8 hours of lecture a day":
We DO NOT have 8 hours of lecture every day. That's only the case once or maybe twice a week. And even then, who cares? Just don't go. I have not been to lecture since January, and I'm doing just fine. The same applies for almost everyone else who have decided to skip lecture. In terms of mandatory class time (i.e. labs, small-group, etc.) there's only about 4-6 hours a week of stuff you have to go to. That's a lot less than schools who claim to only have 2 hours of lecture a day, but then add on 3 hours a day of other mandatory stuff. If you're one of those stressed out people who absolutely has to go to lecture every single day, then I guess you're SOL...try not to be one of those people.

In regards to being "really difficult":
It's med school. We all take the same boards. Med school's hard everywhere, so this shouldn't be an issue.

In regards to "unhappy students":
This one's also pretty simple. If you attend every single lecture, you'll probably be unhappy. If you don't, you won't be. Simple solution, don't go to lecture (at least not every lecture).

I heard these same rumors when I was applying. They varied from "students are depressed" to "everyone's a gunner" to "professors don't care" (whatever that means). What all those rumors had in common, however, were that the people I heard it from WERE NOT UCSD students. Needless to say, those rumors are NOT TRUE. Also, base your opinion of the school on your own impression and what the majority of actual students have to say, not what non-UCSD students (or a disgruntled minority of UCSD students who would've been miserable wherever they went) think.

You've paid California taxes your whole life. Time to reap the rewards. Take the in-state tuition and rest easy knowing you're going to be in less debt after this ordeal (oh by the way, UCSD's average indebtedness is less than $100k, compared to the ~$150K national average).

Thank you so so so much for everyone's responses. I'm really glad I asked this question here. Although I loved UMich, I think I'm going for UCSD. :thumbup:

I hate to Hijack this post, but it made more sense than to create a new one with the same title. I know it's May 15th, I tried withdrawing from Michigan today but they offered me a HUGE scholarship that makes it 40K cheaper than UCSD, which is already very cheap (relatively) for me. It was a pretty difficult decision initially to choose UCSD, but now it has become an extremely difficult decision to choose between the two. Both schools have given me until Monday to decide in lieu of the circumstances. What would you guys do?

Me: California Resident, a little scared of cold weather, family in norcal, don't know many people in San Diego, want to work closely with underserved hispanic community, not really looking to match into a supercompetitive specialty, want to stay in california for residency.

UCSD: Pros: beautiful weather in beautiful San diego, closer to home, great mexican food, good at matching students into California, students happy, top 15 school, diverse pt. population

Cons: H,P,F curriculum, possibly disgruntled students?, more expensive by 30k,

Michigan: Pros: Cheaper, great curriculum, top tier reputation in medicine, students all very happy, ann arbor seems like an awesome city, be a part of the "michigan family", high ranking

Cons: Far from home, COLD!, less diverse pt. population, less connections fostered for california residency,

Any thoughts?

I hate to Hijack this post, but it made more sense than to create a new one with the same title. I know it's May 15th, I tried withdrawing from Michigan today but they offered me a HUGE scholarship that makes it 40K cheaper than UCSD, which is already very cheap (relatively) for me. It was a pretty difficult decision initially to choose UCSD, but now it has become an extremely difficult decision to choose between the two. Both schools have given me until Monday to decide in lieu of the circumstances. What would you guys do?

Me: California Resident, a little scared of cold weather, family in norcal, don't know many people in San Diego, want to work closely with underserved hispanic community, not really looking to match into a supercompetitive specialty, want to stay in california for residency.

UCSD: Pros: beautiful weather in beautiful San diego, closer to home, great mexican food, good at matching students into California, students happy, top 15 school, diverse pt. population

Michigan: Pros: Cheaper, great curriculum, top tier reputation in medicine, students all very happy, ann arbor seems like an awesome city, be a part of the "michigan family", high ranking

Cons: Far from home, COLD!, less diverse pt. population, less connections fostered for california residency,

Any thoughts?
That's a really really hard decision to make. Is it 40K cheaper per year or overall?

Any thoughts?

40K over 4 years isn't a substantial difference. It sounds like you may be more suited for UCSD, so just stick with your gut feeling. If you want to work with the hispanic community, want to stay in CA for residency, and are not interested in a super competitive residency, I think UCSD would offer you everything you're looking for. If you're not extremely concerned about finances (everybody pays back their loans, and this difference isn't *huge*), then go with UCSD.

I'm biased though, same thing happened to me when I tried to withdraw from Michigan, and I stuck with my original choice of UCSF. (I was looking at a ~$125k difference over 4 years)

If you're really concerned about finances though, you can also reach your professional goals by going to Michigan, and you come out with less debt. So that would be a fine choice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.