UCSD vs. Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD or Michigan

• UCSD

Votes: 45 45.9%
  • Michigan

Votes: 53 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elhers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was fortunate enough to be accepted by amazing schools. Now comes the hard part in choosing one and I've narrowed my list down to these two.

I will be paying out of state tuition to Michigan for 4 years and UCSD for 1 year (3 year in state), so UCSD is the cheaper option.

I live in northeast Indiana, so UM is very close to my family and I have many friends at UM/the midwest. Therefore, my support network is definitely in that region of the country. On the other hand, I was born and grew up in La Jolla (until I was 14), so I am very comfortable with San Diego and the UCSD campus.

From what I understand, UM has the better reputation, especially for competitive residencies (which I will most likely be pursuing). And, even though I would ideally like to end up back in CA, I would rather match the specialty I am going to choose.

Also, the 2 curriculums seem comparable with the recent overhaul at UCSD. H/P/F also seems similar Michigan's P/F with AOA, so this seems to be a wash.

Right now I'm leaning towards Michigan; however, I want to want to be persuaded to attend UCSD and surf at Windansea every day.:)

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, UM has the better reputation, especially for competitive residencies (which I will most likely be pursuing). And, even though I would ideally like to end up back in CA, I would rather match the specialty I am going to choose.
In my opinion, going to UM isn't going to make you any more likely to match into a competitive specialty than going to UCSD. They're both great schools.

However, UCSD could give you a regional advantage (especially if you want to end up in CA) that Michigan wouldn't.

Right now I'm leaning towards Michigan; however, I want to want to be persuaded to attend UCSD and surf at Windansea every day.:)
California girls and the beach vs Michigan winters? Are you kidding me? UCSD....done deal. Enjoy! Oh and congrats on being accepted at two great schools, well done!

Are you going to second look at UMich?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mich. Better school, close to fam.

I don't think there's much diff in quality of residency you'll get, um ppl might be favored in the mw while ucsd ppl may be favored in cA.

So I was fortunate enough to be accepted by amazing schools. Now comes the hard part in choosing one and I've narrowed my list down to these two.

I will be paying out of state tuition to Michigan for 4 years and UCSD for 1 year (3 year in state), so UCSD is the cheaper option.

I live in northeast Indiana, so UM is very close to my family and I have many friends at UM/the midwest. Therefore, my support network is definitely in that region of the country. On the other hand, I was born and grew up in La Jolla (until I was 14), so I am very comfortable with San Diego and the UCSD campus.

Also, the 2 curriculums seem comparable with the recent overhaul at UCSD. H/P/F also seems similar Michigan's P/F with AOA, so this seems to be a wash.

As a current student at UCSD (undergrad) who interviewed at both Umich and UCSD I can honestly say that the programs, structure, and facilities at Umich are much better than at UCSD. IMO, UCSD is trying very hard to change over from their old system but I believe it will be some time before it runs as smooth as the Umich system.

you can't go wrong. flip a coin and get it over with.

If you choose Mich, maybe I have a fighting chance at getting out of the dreaded acceptable pool at UCSD ;) I've been treading water in the acceptable pool since interviewing in November, it's tiring...! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I would choose the school that you feel fits you better. Did you get a better feeling on the interview day at one school over the other? Which program do you think you'd be happier at? Did one campus and faculty impress you more than the other? I don't think cost should factor into the equation, but that's just my two cents. Congrats on both acceptances - it's a good position to be in! :thumbup:

u of m. ucsd has a reputation for having a stressful environment.

thanks guys. I definitely had a better feeling at michigan, although it's hard to say if it was because of the school or because i had just finished finals and flew back home the night before. I really want to like ucsd, but it just didn't resonate with me as strongly as say ucla.

i've been looking at the match lists for both schools. Would you say it is easier to match to a more competitive residency from michigan (just because it is arguably the best med school in the midwest and has a strong reputation on the east coast) compared to ucsd (which, which is a great school, I feel that stanford, ucsf and ucla will always be its bigger brothers).

also, for anyone who is an M1 at UCSD, how do you think the new curriculum will affect the experience in terms of board scores, stress levels, satisfaction, etc

First of all, in my experience, most people in the medical community would say Wash U is the best med school in the midwest.

Now that that's out of the way, I don't think you'd be at an advantage in terms of applying for residencies out of Michigan. Also, I've heard from numerous sources that the clinical years are a trainwreck at UM.

I have a few friends at SD and they seem to be in absolute hell. Med school is hard, but comparatively, UCSD is just way too intense from what I've heard. The tuition at CA schools isn't even much cheaper than privates so that probably shouldn't be a huge factor in your decision. I'm choosing between UCLA ($58K/year estimate) and Brown ($67K/year), and privates tend to offer more aid. Good luck with your decision!

i think michigan is the better option. it looks like the only true positive in ucsd's favor is that you get in-state tuition after 1 year (unless you care about weather :p). if money is the most important factor (and it doesn't seem that way) then go to ucsd, but in my opinion michigan is the better school and it's closer to home. i don't get the impression that you have a strong desire to practice in california either, so go blue! congrats.

you seem very happy w/ U of Mich. going to SD might not be what you really want. go to U of M if it makes you happiest.

Remember to factor in cost of living, which will reduce the cost savings at UCSD a bit. It is not just housing. Insurance (car, health) also are significantly higher. Probably other small $$ differences I am not thinking of. And the tuition savings is not that big in the grand scheme of things -- $180k in tuition vs. $150k or so. That extra 30k is chump change in the long run. Go with your heart. Be a Wolverine.

I personally think Michigan is overrated. You won't get diverse exposure (everyone is a Umich doctor and does things the Umich way). I go to undergrad there, shadowed multiple doctors in the system, volunteered for countless hours there, conducted research with med school faculty, and have been a patient within the system numerous times. I have received subpar care by numerous doctors who think they know everything and that Umich is IT. Just because it is considered the best medical school in the state doesn't mean it is everything. I think if it had to stand next to some of the schools it is supposedly equal with it wouldn't fare so well. Given the choice I'd pick UCSD in a heartbeat. That being said, the med students seem quite happy.

Thanks for the responses guys. So just to clarify the situation. I was born and grew up in La Jolla up until Freshman year of High School, when we moved to Illinois. Michigan is a great school and from what I can see is the better school academically/clinically in many respects; however, it is interesting to me that those that would go to UCSD over Michigan is a substantial number.

Also, I would love to end up practicing in California, although I matching to the right specialty (for me) takes priority.

I graduated UCSD SOM in 2008.

I was accepted to U of M as well, but I didn't think it was a hard decision. I lived in Ann Arbor as a small child, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

UCSD was significantly cheaper. As far as I'm concerned, their reputations are not significantly different.

I think the reputation of UCSD being a competitive or unhappy place is total BS. I worried about SDN rumors back in 2004; people were saying the same things then, and it was all untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.