SUNY vs Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• Jefferson

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Buffalo (SUNY)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Downstate (SUNY)

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • NYMC

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzer0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, but now I need to seek some advice. I have searched the forums, but nothing returned with a list as comprehensive as mine, and many of the threads were several years old.

I've having a hard time deciding between the acceptances I am fortunate to have (GPA was below average). I also know you shouldn't be making such an important decision based on the opinions of others, but I'd like as much input as possible.

I hope this thread does not end up into a bashfest of the schools I listed-- I just want to learn more about these schools other than what has been posted. I ran through the MSAR, the app threads of past years, and several "school vs. school" threads. I also have a very open mind, so I'm sorry I can't narrow the choices down further than a ranking of the schools.

I rank the schools I got into as follows:

0. Waitlisted at Stony Brook - top choice
1. Jefferson - class size [might feel like just a number], cost
2. Downstate - dingy, neighborhood isn't great, faculty (interviewer and staff) didn't seem too supportive
3. Buffalo - weather sucks, neighborhood isn't great, lack of university hospital means medical students don't have a clear role?
4. NYMC - goose crap everywhere (lol), dingy facilities, super-intense curriculum (yeah I know medical school is tough either way), faculty didn't seem friendly, cost

I'm from New York City, so Buffalo is a little too cold for me and NYMC was kind of dingy with all the goose feces everywhere. Downstate had a similar vibe as NYMC, but it's so much cheaper and is closer to home. Jefferson gave me the best impression out of my outstanding acceptances, but costs a hefty sum of money. There's so much talk about fit, but how can you really know from interview day and what you read on a website? Maybe those more enlightened could shed some light on this for me? I have some reservations about each of these schools, but I don't know if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, but now I need to seek some advice. I have searched the forums, but nothing returned with a list as comprehensive as mine, and many of the threads were several years old.

I've having a hard time deciding between the acceptances I am fortunate to have (GPA was below average). I also know you shouldn't be making such an important decision based on the opinions of others, but I'd like as much input as possible.

I hope this thread does not end up into a bashfest of the schools I listed-- I just want to learn more about these schools other than what has been posted. I ran through the MSAR, the app threads of past years, and several "school vs. school" threads. I also have a very open mind, so I'm sorry I can't narrow the choices down further than a ranking of the schools.

I rank the schools I got into as follows:

0. Waitlisted at Stony Brook - top choice
1. Jefferson - class size [might feel like just a number], cost
2. Downstate - dingy, neighborhood isn't great, faculty (interviewer and staff) didn't seem too supportive
3. Buffalo - weather sucks, neighborhood isn't great, lack of university hospital means medical students don't have a clear role?
4. NYMC - goose crap everywhere (lol), dingy facilities, super-intense curriculum (yeah I know medical school is tough either way), faculty didn't seem friendly, cost

I'm from New York City, so Buffalo is a little too cold for me and NYMC was kind of dingy with all the goose feces everywhere. Downstate had a similar vibe as NYMC, but it's so much cheaper and is closer to home. Jefferson gave me the best impression out of my outstanding acceptances, but costs a hefty sum of money. There's so much talk about fit, but how can you really know from interview day and what you read on a website? Maybe those more enlightened could shed some light on this for me? I have some reservations about each of these schools, but I don't know if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.

They are all good schools, but I choose SUNY Buffalo. Of course, I'm biased, because I'm from Buffalo and UB is my only acceptance right now. I also interviewed at NYMC, but almost definitely wouldn't choose it over UB.

1. Weather sucks-

Yeah, Buffalo is known for snow and cold, but it isn't that bad. Anyone can learn to get used to it. With the amount of time you'll be studying, nice weather just makes things worse!

2. Neighborhood isn't great-

Agreed, the University Heights neighborhood of Buffalo isn't the greatest or safest. The South Campus itself is fine though, and if you own a car, everywhere in the Buffalo area is less than 20 minutes away. Many med students choose to live elsewhere, in areas like Allentown, Elmwood Village, or Williamsville, to name a few.

3. Lack of University Hospital-

Due to the state budget crisis, the lack of a state university hospital might be a good thing for Buffalo. The Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, anchored by Buffalo General Hospital and Roswell Park Cancer Institute, is constantly growing, and has huge potential. UB Medical School will eventually move there, as part of the UB 2020 plan, which is apparently still happening, despite the problems in Albany.

I can't speak much for Jefferson or Downstate, and mostly agree with what you have to say about NYMC (I stepped in goose feces with my dress shoes, lol).

The curriculum at NYMC is block based, as opposed to an integrated organ systems based approach (like UB). I did like the facilities there, though. The whole medical education building was new and awesome, with a beautiful anatomy lab on the top floor. Also, the cost is very high there, both tuition and living in Westchester. NYMC is still a great school though, with an amazingly tight-knit class, despite the large class size. No undergrads is nice too.

I hope some of this helps you make a decision, and it would be cool if we are classmates in August! :)

It doesn't matter where you go, so much as how well you fit in and cope there. Go to the school where you feel you'll be able to study and digest the most amount of information in the best possible way. Chill weather < chill classmates who will help you learn, so take that into consideration as well.

For yourself, I will offer this nugget of advice, so that you'll get the most out of your books and notes.

levar-burton-car-crash.jpg

Try to be like him, and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Weather sucks-

Yeah, Buffalo is known for snow and cold, but it isn't that bad. Anyone can learn to get used to it. With the amount of time you'll be studying, nice weather just makes things worse!

2. Neighborhood isn't great-

Agreed, the University Heights neighborhood of Buffalo isn't the greatest or safest. The South Campus itself is fine though, and if you own a car, everywhere in the Buffalo area is less than 20 minutes away. Many med students choose to live elsewhere, in areas like Allentown, Elmwood Village, or Williamsville, to name a few.

3. Lack of University Hospital-

Due to the state budget crisis, the lack of a state university hospital might be a good thing for Buffalo. The Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, anchored by Buffalo General Hospital and Roswell Park Cancer Institute, is constantly growing, and has huge potential. UB Medical School will eventually move there, as part of the UB 2020 plan, which is apparently still happening, despite the problems in Albany.

I can't speak much for Jefferson or Downstate, and mostly agree with what you have to say about NYMC (I stepped in goose feces with my dress shoes, lol).

The curriculum at NYMC is block based, as opposed to an integrated organ systems based approach (like UB). I did like the facilities there, though. The whole medical education building was new and awesome, with a beautiful anatomy lab on the top floor. Also, the cost is very high there, both tuition and living in Westchester. NYMC is still a great school though, with an amazingly tight-knit class, despite the large class size. No undergrads is nice too.

I hope some of this helps you make a decision, and it would be cool if we are classmates in August! :)

I definitely liked UB over NYMC, and would brave the weather for it. I mean weather probably isn't a big factor when it comes down to it, but I couldn't help but feel kind of depressed in the area. I also heard real bad things about South Campus from my friend who goes there for undergrad.

I think the block-based curriculum suits me better, so in that regard Jefferson won me over. NYMC just didn't impress me, even if their anatomy lab was new. You mention the cost, but Jefferson and living in Phili is just as, if not more, expensive.

The students at NYMC just seemed like they were there because they didn't get in anywhere else. At Jefferson, my student interviewer and a lot of the students seemed to really love the school and were laidback. I don't think a class of 190 in NYMC's case, or 250 as in Jefferson's case, could be tight knit. I would assume that cliques would form and you'd recognize some people by face. Then again, there's less of a chance that everyone would be up in your business than if you were in class with less than 100 people.

It's nice to see that my rankings and the poll concur.

I think the block-based curriculum suits me better, so in that regard Jefferson won me over. NYMC just didn't impress me, even if their anatomy lab was new. You mention the cost, but Jefferson and living in Phili is just as, if not more, expensive.

Yeah, well you seem to really like Jefferson and Philly, so I'm sure you will choose that, unless you get in off the waitlist at Stony Brook. If you don't get into Stony, don't count out UB, since the tuition is lower, and it's cheap to live in Buffalo.

The students at NYMC just seemed like they were there because they didn't get in anywhere else. At Jefferson, my student interviewer and a lot of the students seemed to really love the school and were laidback. I don't think a class of 190 in NYMC's case, or 250 as in Jefferson's case, could be tight knit. I would assume that cliques would form and you'd recognize some people by face. Then again, there's less of a chance that everyone would be up in your business than if you were in class with less than 100 people.

It's nice to see that my rankings and the poll concur.

Most students at most med schools weren't accepted elsewhere. I thought the NYMC students were really laid back and happy. The MS2 tour guide my group had was really awesome, and stayed with us to answer tons of questions, even though he was late for class. Most 1st and 2nd years live on campus (not true of most med schools), which is why it is tight knit.

Yeah, well you seem to really like Jefferson and Philly, so I'm sure you will choose that, unless you get in off the waitlist at Stony Brook. If you don't get into Stony, don't count out UB, since the tuition is lower, and it's cheap to live in Buffalo.

Most students at most med schools weren't accepted elsewhere. I thought the NYMC students were really laid back and happy. The MS2 tour guide my group had was really awesome, and stayed with us to answer tons of questions, even though he was late for class. Most 1st and 2nd years live on campus (not true of most med schools), which is why it is tight knit.

Yeah, I won't. UB definitely sold their school and surpassed my expectations coming in. I'll keep it in mind on May 15...it's hard to turn down the money I'd save compared to Jeff. Stony's the wildcard!

I would actually say multiple acceptances are more common than we think-- especially if you apply broadly. Jeff students seemed happier and upbeat compared to NYMC. The housing situation at NYMC is pitiful though.

I'd kind of agree with you, if cost wasnt a factor I'd go Jefferson > Buffalo > Downstate > NYMC, I was also not that impressed with NYMC, but considering cost, I think Buffalo is really really solid and extra debt sucks. But really you have to go where you want, Buffalo is a really cool city and you're only 2 hours from Toronto which has everything you could want so that is nice.

Thanks to all that responded!

Jefferson 2015 it is!

The housing situation at NYMC is pitiful though.

Ha, I never looked at that, but I'm sure you're right. Did you stay with a student host? I had family in the area, so I just stayed with them.

Thanks to all that responded!

Jefferson 2015 it is!
I had a similar positive dilemma, where it was Upstate Vs Jeff, I also chose Jeff. Maybe I'll see you at second look!!

Ha, I never looked at that, but I'm sure you're right. Did you stay with a student host? I had family in the area, so I just stayed with them.

I walked around with an interviewee and checked the housing complexes. The on-campus dorms aren't part of the tour (maybe NYMC doesn't want to turn you off), but the medical student tour guide showed her apartment to us. It was really cramped, and I've heard the whole thing has an undergraduate feeling to it.

Also the dining situation is pretty bad, I thought the food was bad and the dining options (selection and hours of operation) were a major turn-off. The medical students eating with us agreed that this was one of the worst parts about NYMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.